Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

I barely even glanced at Godhome since I had hit 106% on the Switch when it came out, but in my second play through thanks to PS+ I’m hittin’ the Pantheons.

And I hit Pure Vessel for the first time last night. :kstare:

Checking on what I have to do *after* that, I’m not sure I’m gonna be hitting that Platinum after all.

You can do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pure Vessel is such an excellent fight

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Does Godhome have a fight where you just fight yourself with the AI using random charms or something?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Each of the first three Pantheons ends with a new and unique boss fight, and then unlocks a fourth Pantheon upon completion of all three. The fourth Pantheon's final boss is the Pure Vessel who is essentially the Hollow Knight if he never got corrupted; he's much faster, has Radiance-esque radial swords, replaces his infection based moves with void tendrils, and can focus like the Knight except his focus causes massive explosions rather than healing him.

I do think fighting the Knight with the full capabilities of the charm set would've been a great idea though.

There's also the fifth and final Pantheon which is every boss in the game, including new gimmicks on some of them, including a basically double-speed Radiance with an extra stage of the battle to finish everything off that's like the second stage but with even less ground/platforms to fight on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The final pantheon is at least worth going through far enough to unlock Sisters of Battle, but I would begrudge no one for otherwise tapping out against it because Absolute Radiance is honestly miserable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can fight SoB by starting a new godmaster save file after you beat pantheon 3. You can fight PV there, and also flying Nosk (why would you ever want to fight flying Nosk).

So after beating pantheon 3 you can see everything except Absolute Radiance.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Absolute Radiance is hard as gently caress, not gonna sugarcoat it, but imo it's surprisingly fair after how busted it feels when first learning it. By far the hardest part is being consistent about manipulating the orbs he shoots, and indeed sometimes they will behave in some really bullshit-feeling ways, but it is overall not too awful in terms of letting you get damage in and even healing a bit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do you think Silksong will release simultaneously on all consoles? I played HK on PS$, PC, and then Switch where i felt like it was perfect! and I don't want to imagine whatll happen if Silksong comes out but not for Switch at the same time (I bought 5 copies of Hollow Knight, lol,)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They unveiled it on a Nintendo stream so if anything it’ll probably be a Switch console exclusive again for a while

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

morestuff posted:

They unveiled it on a Nintendo stream so if anything it’ll probably be a Switch console exclusive again for a while

Plan for this. PC or Switch for the first couple months.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I managed to beat AR, but only in the pillar area and with like a 25% success rate. Never managed to in pantheon 5 because by the time i reached her my nerves are so frayed after Zote, NKG and Pure Vessel that i will stumble somehow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah that home stretch of Pantheon 5 is a nightmare. The final five fights before AR are something like Zote, Markoth with the harder arena, Failed Champion, NKG and Pure Vessel. Just absolutely brutal.

The Pure Vessel fight is incredible though, I kind of wish that was the capstone fight of the whole DLC.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can cheese the last phase of absolute radiance, projectiles that leave the top of the screen get despawned immediately so if you just keep pogoing you remain effectively invulnerable.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I picked this up for the free PSN game, so barely dipped my toes in compared to you old hands. For the love of god, I just want to go back to town to buy a lamp. Where are all my fast travel options once you get past Greenpath? Stop killing me and taking my 1000 coins away! I need those! :gonk:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

I picked this up for the free PSN game, so barely dipped my toes in compared to you old hands. For the love of god, I just want to go back to town to buy a lamp. Where are all my fast travel options once you get past Greenpath? Stop killing me and taking my 1000 coins away! I need those! :gonk:

There's a stag station in every zone, it's probably best to explore one zone at least until you find it (and a map) before wandering into a new one. If you're finding an area too difficult then maybe do a bit more exploring in the places you're comfortable and find some new upgrades before returning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

hazardousmouse posted:

I want to say that there's one stag station per named area, even if you have to work to unlock them.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I must be doing the thing where I accidentally find the perfect path to progress to places I shouldn't be. I haven't seen a stag station since Queen's Crossing and just bought a dash slash attack from some big dude that seems to be a liability more than anything atm. Right now I'm tussling over some dropped coins with a group of enemies that keep spawning from a ceiling and it's just the worst.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

I must be doing the thing where I accidentally find the perfect path to progress to places I shouldn't be. I haven't seen a stag station since Queen's Crossing and just bought a dash slash attack from some big dude that seems to be a liability more than anything atm. Right now I'm tussling over some dropped coins with a group of enemies that keep spawning from a ceiling and it's just the worst.

Are the enemies spiders?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
flying swordsmen, flying lancers, big fat charging spearmen. west of the gladiator's arena and down a big rear end elevator shaft

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If it's raining and/or you're in a city, then you're 100% in the right place.

I was thinking about this the other day; while at the start of midgame there's a lot of freedom in where to explore, it's not really possible to 'sequence break' in HK, is it? Like, you need some of those movement skills to advance the main plot, right?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you've found the gladiator arena and are being chased by big fat guard dudes and you haven't seen a stag station since greenpath, you are definitely moving through areas before you've explored them properly and are probably kinda underpowered for where you're at.

The flying dudes are still dickheads though especially if you try and deal with two or three at once.

Re: sequence-breaking, lol try watching an any % speedrun and see just how few movement skills you really need!

ETA: I'm actually really curious how you got over to that side of the map without buying the lantern, pretty sure most people grab it much earlier than that and it's used for the main way to get to that side, as far as I remember.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 20, 2020

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
What do you mean by underpowered? I've not seen any weapon damage upgrades and haven't completed any new soul container or health bar expansions.
I've got a few journals but nowhere to turn them in it seems

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

What do you mean by underpowered? I've not seen any weapon damage upgrades and haven't completed any new soul container or health bar expansions.
I've got a few journals but nowhere to turn them in it seems

Yes, that's what I mean by underpowered. You have access to all of those things in lots of areas that you must have passed through to get where you are.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Watching my friend play for the first time and he just got to Deepnest. Watching someone's reaction to this loving nightmare is really taking me back.

Walking out of the Mantis Lord room to find that enormous pile of corpses is some A#1 visual storytelling.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Going to Kingdom's Edge early is rare but not unheard of. Without the lamp though, that's quite interesting. There's several exits out of the city that'll take you back to older areas, try looking upwards!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I gave up on forcing my way forward and backtracked a bunch. Just found the lady that sells charm notches! :bisonyes:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm pretty sure I didn't meet her until I saw the first ending, which let me tell you, limited my options a bit

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Watching my friend play for the first time and he just got to Deepnest. Watching someone's reaction to this loving nightmare is really taking me back.

Walking out of the Mantis Lord room to find that enormous pile of corpses is some A#1 visual storytelling.

I noped back out of there so fast my first time through.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

How did you get to this spot?
Did you go through Cystal Peak, or have you actually done the whole roundtrip through Deepnest and then climbed Kingdom's Edge from the bottom?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
the second one. Just kept going down and to the right until I couldn't, basically. Took the tram to the end of the line and stepped out into a world of pain

edit: oh what the gently caress
I got the spirit nail and just hit my first enemy with it and I can hear their thoughts now? It just happened to be one of those big mushrooms that headbutts the floor and yeah, they're thick

edit: so THAT'S where I use the city crest? god I held on to that forever. aaaaannnnnnd of course I get locked in

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 20, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hazardousmouse posted:

the second one. Just kept going down and to the right until I couldn't, basically. Took the tram to the end of the line and stepped out into a world of pain

I got the spirit nail and just hit my first enemy with it and I can hear their thoughts now? It just happened to be one of those big mushrooms that headbutts the floor and yeah, they're thick

edit: so THAT'S where I use the city crest? god I held on to that forever. aaaaannnnnnd of course I get locked in

Lmao, I love this game so much.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Serephina posted:

Like, you need some of those movement skills to advance the main plot, right?

IIRC from doing the speedrun cheevo you need shade cloak or isma's tear to get one of the dreamers. It seems like you need the double jump, but you can get by without it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Isma’s tear is skippable if you have skills with super dash to navigate Monomon’s Archives

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

hazardousmouse posted:

Oh God.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

If it's raining and/or you're in a city, then you're 100% in the right place.

I was thinking about this the other day; while at the start of midgame there's a lot of freedom in where to explore, it's not really possible to 'sequence break' in HK, is it? Like, you need some of those movement skills to advance the main plot, right?

You can beat the game without double jump or shade cloak, and I think without acid swimming possibly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Remember, you can save-quit warp back to the last bench you sat at anytime you get "locked in" to an area you don't quite want to be yet. The only exceptions are the autosaves that happen after some boss fights.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pretty sure it hard saves after you enter the city that way

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alxprit posted:

Going to Kingdom's Edge early is rare but not unheard of. Without the lamp though, that's quite interesting.
Isn't there a bunch of dark rooms in Deepnest on the way to the tram pass? Or are those not actually "dark"?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
There's 2 or 3 completely pitch black rooms that are super difficult to navigate but they're side areas (so far) everything else en route to the tram was not well lit but deffo not that pitch black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Haha amazing, I've been watching the ongoing randomiser bingo tournament so I'm getting really familiar with different pathways through the game with different configurations of items and that was the only way I could think of for you to have gotten there, but I didn't want to ask directly in case I was wrong.

I guess it makes sense if you fall into deepnest before you get the lantern, and you don't get dream nail so you don't get your attention focused on the dreamer locations.