Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol four of the five parties in the NI executive calling for an emergency meeting today to discuss the travel restrictions in Britain... Too bad it's the LORDS DAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My interpretation of this is 'negative interest rates is icumen in. Lhude sing cuccu'

time to buy gold and shares in companies that make bullets.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

re: savings, I'm still pondering becoming massively Bad With Money in the new year and getting a horse.

Consider how many meatballs it can be turned into or if you can get a warhorse to hunt angry gammons in the post-Brexitpocalyse wasteland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

Full article:

quote:

We are Conservatives, we believe in freedom.
lol when has that ever been the case?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jakabite posted:

So I was just having my yearly shower and had an idea. I was thinking about that John Rentoul tweet about not wanting an inquiry that will assign blame, and it got me to thinking that there almost certainly won’t be one - that is to say that whole there’ll be an inquiry it will, like all inquiries by the establishment into the establishment, say that mistakes were made lessons should be learned but they tried their best and let’s all forget about it.

This is a bit pie in the sky but what if there was some sort of People’s Inquiry? Called exactly that. Not in the way we’d all want with walls and a choice of Marlboro’s, but some sort of organisation set up with the sole purpose of producing a report into the failings of the government and their buddies, apportioning blame in an evidence based way. If it got traction, even calling on experts and ministers to explain themselves then empty chairing then if they don’t. Extremely transparent, evidence based stuff. I literally thought of this twenty minutes ago so apologies if it’s a bit fluffy right now but does anyone think it might have legs and it’s something people might get behind? And inquiry by the people, for the people?

Has there ever been a good enquiry in the UK?
We all know if there will be one, it will be 2060 when everyone involved is retired or dead, headed by Lord Tory Wont Rock The Boat, cost a few billion, and to find out no one was to blame.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It took me far too long to realise this was from 2015, the only thing that didn't seem right to me was that anybody was expecting Corbyn to issue a festive message in the first place

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Z the IVth posted:

Consider how many meatballs it can be turned into or if you can get a warhorse to hunt angry gammons in the post-Brexitpocalyse wasteland.

I don't think we'll get to a situation where we'll be considering eating animals we know*, but I also fear that I might be being hopelessly optimistic there :(

* I've eaten horse bought from a supermarket in France, but things would have to get bad before dear old dobbin would be on my menu.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Has there ever been a good enquiry in the UK?
We all know if there will be one, it will be 2060 when everyone involved is retired or dead, headed by Lord Tory Wont Rock The Boat, cost a few billion, and to find out no one was to blame.

No, there quite literally hasn’t, and that’s sort of my point. No inquiry run by establishment figures and organisations will ever be worth having by definition because they’ll never throw their own to the lions.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

crispix posted:

it seems like a lot of adults really buy into the whole thing about it being a special day. I think some people have never been alone for christmas before and think of it as a horrible prospect

not me i'm fine getting hammered on my own :dance:

In 2017 due to a multi-day family emergency I had my birthday all alone.

It was legit my favourite birthday and the most comfortable and relaxed I'd ever been.

(e: the family emergency was a literal day of birth for a new lifeform)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Something that pcurred to me reading the government's guidance is that it all stinks of neoliberal, thatcherite 'personal responsibility.' It keeps coming up as an idea and a specific phrase all through the guidance.

So much more of the government's apparent blunders make sense if you view it through the lens of a bunch of dudes who jerked it to Maggie through college, and are now thoroughly wedded to absolute horror at the idea of society existing, let alone coming together to help each other.

It's why even support bubbles are described in such sociopathic terms. They can't bring themselves to use words like 'relative' or 'care;' instead it's technicalities over the age of the adult, and how many other people (not including carers) there are in the house.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
lol when has that ever been the case?
[/quote]

Always.

They have always believed in their freedom to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Szmitten posted:

In 2017 due to a multi-day family emergency I had my birthday all alone.

It was legit my favourite birthday and the most comfortable and relaxed I'd ever been.

(e: the family emergency was a literal day of birth for a new lifeform)

When I still did family xmas back in the year dot - my sister who was preg but still living with the parentals, was 'due' in early January.
My nan and I nodded sagely to each other and said "that baby will be born the day it can be most inconvenient" (this based on my parents' jobs at the time which involved working on xmas morning).
Sure enough, my sister wandered into one of my brother's bedrooms at 7am on xmas day and said 'my water's broke'.
Cue a day of sister having a long difficult delivery in hospital, the parents with her, xmas dinners being ferried up and down the motorway in cars - this is also a my family trope - meals on wheels - while my brothers and I chose a bottle of liqueur each and got totally smashed.
Parents returned home late evening after the baby had appeared.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oh for crying out loud.

https://twitter.com/GluckAphra/status/1340374928508538881

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1340595985597288448?s=19

Shut the gently caress up Sunak you patronising billionaire oval office.

Sunak can go gently caress himself, i earned mine and i'll hold onto it for as long as i require it... gobshite. :flame:

kustomkarkommando posted:

lol four of the five parties in the NI executive calling for an emergency meeting today to discuss the travel restrictions in Britain... Too bad it's the LORDS DAY

edit: to get eejit in----->>> And Peter Weir from the DUP can bugger off as well! :flame:

Get those schools closed, having a cute disease vector freely wandering around does NOT help.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 20, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Of course everyone was going to rush out to do last minute Christmas shopping at the news

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1340651848525619200?s=21

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1340652889275060225?s=21

Lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I went to waitrose and there are several newspapers with versions of the mutant Johnson on the front. As I was spending enough to get the free newspaper, I decided on the Sunday Times as having the best headline. Let me read it first before I go to the wall.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I like the bit at the end, only X allowed inside the shop, but lets all just crowd together outside while we wait.
Covid can't get past this knee high barrier.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/William_Wragg/status/1340665894213709826?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

I like the bit at the end, only X allowed inside the shop, but lets all just crowd together outside while we wait.
Covid can't get past this knee high barrier.
I feel the same way about the one-way systems that every shop has decided to implement for some reason. I don't recall ever seeing it recommended and it just results in people bunching up and queueing around the whole store

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Even though in my mammal brain I'm like " You can't blame people for the situation we're in now with Covid, it's a systemic issue that's been mishandled from the top." my reptile brain engages to boil my piss when I see people out shopping in massive crowds or not wearing masks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You can understand why people are doing something and still be loving enraged that they are doing it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Every bit of rage we direct at the public for doing something we all admit we can understand as humans will be used by the government to deflect blame from themselves and is playing into their hands. You can’t help what you feel but be aware of that when you express it to others. It all feeds a narrative.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

From the Indy

quote:

Britain has warned talks on a post-Brexit trade deal will fail unless there is a “substantial shift” by the EU in the remaining days of the negotiations.

Sounds like they're still going round in circles

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

I feel the same way about the one-way systems that every shop has decided to implement for some reason. I don't recall ever seeing it recommended and it just results in people bunching up and queueing around the whole store

I have literally never seen anyone give a poo poo about those, even in the first lockdown, tbqh.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

feedmegin posted:

I have literally never seen anyone give a poo poo about those, even in the first lockdown, tbqh.

They stressed me out so much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C24CYOX8Rk

http://borisjohnson.info/

Presented without comment

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The pharmacy I work in has like a single loop people can walk around. We have arrows on the floor to direct people to go anticlockwise and queue on one side, so folk who are leaving can use the other side. Twenty times a day I must say 'Could you queue up on the other side with everyone else please?' 'Could you move so this lady can get out please?' 'Could you move back to keep a distance please?' 'Excuse me, your mask has slipped down, it should be up here, thank you.'

One day soon I'm just going to start hitting people with sticks like driving cattle.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angrymog posted:

They stressed me out so much.
I am very much an 'oh poo poo, I need sauce to go with this pasta' shopper, so shops where you can't easily backtrack have become functionally useless to me.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Wonder where he's spending Christmas the crocodile tear crying jerk

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'm not one for buying music but i see i can help this out by leaving it on repeat in spotify, how handy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm prejudiced against property owners, sorry.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

What a mess.

Flight home was scheduled for Monday. Managed to flee London before midnight, got a ticket from Bristol instead only for KLM to cancel it. Then got another route through Scotland in the very nick of time, just making the last call for boarding after running through the airport.

On the positive side I was introduced to the "Thatcher hosed the kids" song on the way, so it's not all bad.

Hoping that the borders stay open for at least another few hours...

Aeble fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 20, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well, good news, the world might be poo poo but there's a fun film on the telly tonight

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1340597651520319488?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

Well, good news, the world might be poo poo but there's a fun film on the telly tonight

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1340597651520319488?s=20

Thanks, I'm going to watch this on my television :)

it's one i've always meant to see but i lack motivation to do most things most of the time

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aeble posted:

What a mess.

Flight home was scheduled for Monday. Managed to flee London before midnight, got a ticket from Bristol instead only for KLM to cancel it. Then got another route through Scotland in the very nick of time, just making the last call for boarding after running through the airport.

On the positive side I was introduced to the "Thatcher hosed the kids" song on the way, so it's not all bad.

cool cool just hop on an international flight no biggie you dick

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
In a negative interest rate situation what is to stop people from moving their money into a currency with a positive interest rate?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gently caress SAKE i checked the tv guide because offentimes there will be something cool on BBC2 England and BBC2 NI will instead have something on with old lads in wellies looking at fish or something in Irish I can't understand a word of AND

21:30

Documentary
Keepin 'er Country

At Christmas

Nathan and Jake Carter host a festive country music celebration with special guests.

59 mins
Available for 11 months
22:30

History
In the Name of Peace: John Hume in America

Documentary about the late John Hume and the Northern Ireland peace process.

BASTARDS :mad:

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

vodkat posted:

In a negative interest rate situation what is to stop people from moving their money into a currency with a positive interest rate?
Access i'd assume, and having to factor in any losses from currency exchange. Plus the risk of currency fluctuations in the future, you might as well just stick it in the stock market in an ISA if you're open for that level of risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Aeble posted:

What a mess.

Glad you managed to spread a little tier 4 love around the country before you left.