Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But why drill when you could participate in shenanigans with janitorial equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Origin posted:

At least we know Caesar knew what a book is.

books were invented like 250 years after his death

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

books were invented like 250 years after his death

Hush, there are opinions about current politics to confirm, here in the Roman/ancient history thread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojC-zTXSAsY

Organ music, soft focus, and mean people shouting in Classical Latin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That guy sounds Italian as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't you mean New Jersey?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grand Fromage posted:

Here's an incredibly pedantic look at the Latin; apparently these are Italian actors doing a reasonably good job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uBUCZgpw8

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

Grand Fromage posted:

What should og latin sound like then?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Is this a compliment?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The intonation and stress is clearly Italian and I'm not sure how correct some of the elided consonants are

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All the Romans should be played by Finns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ras Het posted:

The intonation and stress is clearly Italian and I'm not sure how correct some of the elided consonants are

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FreudianSlippers posted:

All the Romans should be played by Finns Romanians.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1340292346831728640

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

do not click on this guy's timeline

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if a guy from Ancient Rome game back to teach us proper spoken latin but he was from like, 2nd century AD Massilia

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ChubbyChecker posted:

What should og latin sound like then?

Dunno, never heard anyone try to act in classical Latin before. It's not a criticism, Romans sounding like Italians wouldn't be like, weird or anything. One could even argue Romans were Italians. :eyepop:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Imagining every Roman speaking like a Jersey guido makes it way more fun, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eyyy gently caress off I'm empirein' here.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Alea iacta eyyy!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Eyyy gently caress off I'm empirein' here.

When I took high school latin the teacher taught us dweebs specific amusing phrases and one that we’d shout at each other then halls a lot was something like “redete plebes, gero rem imperialem!” which is more or less this iirc

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

Imagining every Roman speaking like a Jersey guido makes it way more fun, too.
Does this mean in Britain they all sounded like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_OLnMriRg

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also this is the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning (at noon) and I seriously considered going back to bed permanently.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Grand Fromage posted:

Dunno, never heard anyone try to act in classical Latin before. It's not a criticism, Romans sounding like Italians wouldn't be like, weird or anything. One could even argue Romans were Italians. :eyepop:

The German show Barbarians that came out this year has all the Roman characters speaking in latin. Not sure how well they pulled it off since I don't know latin myself, but here are some clips of them acting in latin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojC-zTXSAsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqJvxeWl8ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBIZ4VirQHI

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rome was mostly made of brick until one day Romans woke up and Augustus had single handedly rebuilt it of marble during the night. :agesilaus:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dalael posted:

Rome was mostly made of brick until one day Romans woke up and Augustus had single handedly rebuilt it of marble during the night. :agesilaus:

Rome wasn't built in a day, it was built in a night

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Memento posted:

As an aside, I saw this on twitter not long ago

I need this mug

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

This guy (Cybersmith) is famous on tumblr for thinking it should be legal to keep humans as pets.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

packetmantis posted:

This guy (Cybersmith) is famous on tumblr for thinking it should be legal to keep humans as pets.

That just sounds like slavery with extra steps.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

packetmantis posted:

What is his stance on training dogs and racing rats

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Also this is the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning (at noon) and I seriously considered going back to bed permanently.

Is that the guy that was posting about Roman military formations being like jazz combos earlier itt?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CrypticFox posted:

That just sounds like slavery with extra steps.
Not exactly. :gonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Do we have a firm date when the Roman/Greek pantheon really started to decline in popularity?
Like it's mentioned that Decius was almost a revivalist for the old gods does that mean people stopped caring much about them?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 20, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lawman 0 posted:

Do we have a firm date when the Roman/Greek really started to decline in popularity?
Like it's mentioned that Decius was almost a revivalist for the old gods does that mean people stopped caring much about them?

Has Rome ever declined in popularity? Remnants of Rome litter the western world to this day, and many present governments still claim the mantle of Rome.

Plus, I mean, New Jersey alone is proof that Rome is not out of style.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Has Rome ever declined in popularity? Remnants of Rome litter the western world to this day, and many present governments still claim the mantle of Rome.

if rome hasn't decline in popularity why aren't I living in a miniature colosseum

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whoops I should have previewed before I posted.
Anyways so I'm basically asking what were the steps between classical pantheon--> messing around with cults---> adopting Christianity.
Like how much of it towards the end was just going through the motions vs fervent belief?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 20, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gradual transformation. Christianity spread through the Roman population, apparently in the upper classes, over time. The classical religion slowly dwindled as Christianity became more popular, but it took centuries--there are references to people still worshipping the Greek pantheon well into the early Middle Ages. And of course Christianity took a lot of stuff from classical religion.

There aren't really distinct steps. The closest you could say are the legal ones. Constantine made Christianity legal, ending the occasional persecutions that had happened before him, then Theodosius I made Christianity the state religion. They didn't go out hunting pagans or anything, the old religions just gradually faded away.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't there a whole lot of the cults that rose and fell over the years that we just plain don't know because they were relatively secret? I imagine a lot of whatever appealed directly to followers just was lost over time.

I think Diocletian also tried making some last big play for the old religion in a sort of fundamentalist way that didn't really take.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The biggest thing after Theodosius is Justinian cutting off the funding of the (neo)Platonic Academy in around 530. After that the old religion really was only “pagan”, that is to say, hicktown tradition with no legitimacy in the centers of power. It had already lost its public and state rituals to Christianity, now it symbolically lost the intelligentsia as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

There aren't really distinct steps. The closest you could say are the legal ones. Constantine made Christianity legal, ending the occasional persecutions that had happened before him, then Theodosius I made Christianity the state religion. They didn't go out hunting pagans or anything, the old religions just gradually faded away.

I've recommended the book before, and I'll recommend it again: James O'Donnell's Pagans, which is a look at the transition between paganism and Christianity in the Empire as it was seen at the time (and also, how even after the "empire became Christian", stuff was in a liminal state....paganism got more Christianized and vice versa. It also talks about how, in the Empire, "paganism" didn't exist, really. Pagan is a later, Christian term that lumps together a bunch of different and various beliefs and rituals that vary, not only from one part of the empire to another but even from town to town.

It also has a little bit about Julian that's interesting, talking about how Julian, who's a neo-Platonist, is trying to reverse Christianity and promote "paganism", but he was raised Christians by Christians, and that's what he's used to, so he basically creates "the Roman religion" on a Christian model.