Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

NoDoors, I suggest you test ride the Fat Bob.

I have one. It’s fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fauxtool posted:

I have about 2 sportbikes worth of ferrari red vinyl wrap, its definitely the plan

And a crate full of brand stickers I hope!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Best idea. The NM4 is hot and we need more anime akira bikes in the world. Honda is so brave sometimes.

I confused the NM4 for the DN-01 and was about to drop a few :frogout:s on you, but a cool head and a quick Google search prevailed

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, I like the DN-01 too. Not nearly the same way I like the NM4, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

I confused the NM4 for the DN-01 and was about to drop a few :frogout:s on you, but a cool head and a quick Google search prevailed

What if I told you both of those bikes are rad

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renaissance Robot posted:

And a crate full of brand stickers I hope!

I have a large format vinyl printer so i could probably print the exact stickers. Not sure I want that much dude-lust sent my way

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What if I told you both of those bikes are mediocre trash wrapped in an infuriating excess of plastic

And to elaborate on this: I will say they are garbage because they have a bunch of needless crap on them and are very heavy and slow and poor handling. Someone else will say you just described a Harley and at least they're built like Honda.

Which makes me realise: we should redefine 'cruiser' as just any bike intended to be ridden slowly for the purposes of looking cool, with deliberately crap dynamics in service of maximum coolness.

'Traditional' cruisers are just boomer cruisers. Cafe racers are hipster cruisers. The various akira bikes are millennial computer toucher cruisers.

In all examples the pattern is the same: the bike isn't meant to go fast and usually can't, it usually but not always sucks to ride, it is usually DIY built out of garbage, and anyone who doesn't love it thinks it's gaudy and stupid.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 15, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The PC800 is fantastic

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

And to elaborate on this: I will say they are garbage because they have a bunch of needless crap on them and are very heavy and slow and poor handling. Someone else will say you just described a Harley and at least they're built like Honda.

Which makes me realise: we should redefine 'cruiser' as just any bike intended to be ridden slowly for the purposes of looking cool, with deliberately crap dynamics in service of maximum coolness.

'Traditional' cruisers are just boomer cruisers. Cafe racers are hipster cruisers. The various akira bikes are millennial computer toucher cruisers.

In all examples the pattern is the same: the bike isn't meant to go fast and usually can't, it usually but not always sucks to ride, it is usually DIY built out of garbage, and anyone who doesn't love it thinks it's gaudy and stupid.

1: You love harley as a *brand* not a bike because they let you be lazy working on them, and hate KTM for opposite reasons. Both showing you have no class and must be quarantined on a new zealand sized island.

2: How loving dare you. We live in a dearth of interesting motorcycles and Honda decides to turn the anime to 11 every now and then and you want to throw shade? Who cares if it drives boring and has an automatic. I don't mind that and Tetsuo probably didn't either because he could focus on stopping sideways and hitting other riders with bats.

3: Fair point on your last. I'm kinda drifting toward boomer being ok with a crazy looking bike that rides easy slowly to work and back.

Sagebrush posted:

The PC800 is fantastic

Finally someone who tells it like it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

The PC800 is fantastic

This guy gets it

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
When I first got my CB 1100 I joined the message boards specific to that bike. Then I had a nerve to casually refer to it as "mediocre cruiser" and people flipped their poo poo on me. Good times, good times

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

1: You love harley as a *brand* not a bike because they let you be lazy working on them, and hate KTM for opposite reasons. Both showing you have no class and must be quarantined on a new zealand sized island.

2: How loving dare you. We live in a dearth of interesting motorcycles and Honda decides to turn the anime to 11 every now and then and you want to throw shade? Who cares if it drives boring and has an automatic. I don't mind that and Tetsuo probably didn't either because he could focus on stopping sideways and hitting other riders with bats.

3: Fair point on your last. I'm kinda drifting toward boomer being ok with a crazy looking bike that rides easy slowly to work and back.

Finally someone who tells it like it is.

1. No, wrong, the brand isn't what I like and honestly, Japanese bikes are much lazier to work on. They are genuinely just nice, well built bikes that I like all-round. KTM can suck my balls though yeah.

2. They could've made them interesting to ride but they didn't, they're also capable of making actually interesting bikes without gimmicky bullshit but choose not to. I just don't see the point of them because...

3....they are cruisers, but the styling screams performance and there just isn't any, the riding experience is comatose. At least when I ride a lovely Harley I can remember what it was like. If they built like, a rebel 1100 with akira styling it would be loving rad.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrox posted:

When I first got my CB 1100 I joined the message boards specific to that bike. Then I had a nerve to casually refer to it as "mediocre cruiser" and people flipped their poo poo on me. Good times, good times

its like talking about kids. You can call your kids stupid, but you cant tell someone they have a dumb kid

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I compared the XJ600 to a 90s Corolla on the XJ forum and some dude went on a thread hijacking rant and then tried to lean into it and convince everyone that 90s Corollas were already becoming amazing classic cars.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I compared the XJ600 to a 90s Corolla on the XJ forum and some dude went on a thread hijacking rant and then tried to lean into it and convince everyone that 90s Corollas were already becoming amazing classic cars.

yikes.

They only sold about a billion corollas and every knows the more that exist the more they are worth

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 15, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Comparing an xj to a 90s toyota wasn't a compliment?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I mean on the one hand, yeah, they're pretty bombproof and somehow survive legions of complete idiot owners before just disappearing into the ether or getting wrecked just enough to scrap, so on that count it was a compliment.
On the other, not even the weirdos in AI are lusting after a champagne-colored 4-door platonic ideal of Car with one missing hubcap and suction cup stains from the Domino's sign on the roof.

edit: lol I went back and checked the thread and I'd forgotten he got so worked up about it that he lashed out at the site owner and got banned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess now is the time to admit one of my fantasies is having a clean tidy 90 or 100 series corolla lift back with a manual and the humble 4AFE and less than 100k on the clock. I would never sell it or stop driving it and just aim at a million and see if outlives my ability to drive it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I love our 2009, it's a fantastic little car. It's at 150K now and has another 150k in it I bet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

The original akira bike in the movie is literally a cruiser, when all the plastic crap comes off it's like "oh it's just an obscenely raked out chopper with a bucket seat"

Kaneda brags about how great it is because it's *his* but the thing is demonstrably an utter piece of poo poo that is borderline unrideable and stalls out if you don't keep the revs up while changing gears :wtf:

None of this is shade btw, I think more things should exist just because they're cool or fun, in defiance of practicality.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My 2000 camry was the best car I've ever owned and was never not a total joy to drive. I miss it. My grandmom had a 90s camry that was also totally amazing, and very small. I see your point that corollas don't have the same appeal.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think more things should exist just because they're cool or fun, in defiance of practicality.

Facts. Also I never noticed that about his bike. So in our world he would be riding an ex-trackrat gsxr with no headlight and stick on indicators with mismatched panels and a primer paintjob on some of it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Coydog posted:

Facts. Also I never noticed that about his bike. So in our world he would be riding an ex-trackrat gsxr with no headlight and stick on indicators with mismatched panels and a primer paintjob on some of it.

MomJeans???

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That would require my bike to be rideable, although I did put the wheels back on (but not torqued properly) so I could bring my stands to the track

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

which track are you going to

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I went to Chuckwalla yesterday in the CW configuration. I was running a "D group" pace, but it was fun (I'm around 30 seconds away from B group, but I also wasn't going all out). I was going to make a post in the discussion thread about riding the Aprilia RS 660 around the track, but I have to catch up on work first.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

I went to Chuckwalla yesterday in the CW configuration. I was running a "D group" pace, but it was fun (I'm around 30 seconds away from B group, but I also wasn't going all out). I was going to make a post in the discussion thread about riding the Aprilia RS 660 around the track, but I have to catch up on work first.

Wait, were you there with Ari and Zack? I saw some posts from them I think taking part in that same event.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't see them there, but then again I wasn't looking for them either. I didn't really walk around the paddock and explore or anything like that though.

I will say while I'm not a yellow or gold fan, the RS 660 in acid gold is nice. I think it's the color I'd get were I to purchase one, but they actually looked great in person.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Well it definitely doesn’t look that great in photos! I’d like to go check one out at a dealer whenever the vaccine starts reaching us plebs.

Also meant to ask the first time days ago, but how was the safety precautions and stuff there? Seeing you say you didn’t wander around the paddock made me go, oh yeah contagious pandemic going on.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's definitely not for everyone but yellow is probably my least favorite vehicle color so it's impressive to me that it was my favorite. I still need to do an effort post about the day, but it was fairly informal. Most of the time everyone was masked, I'm not sure if they wiped the bikes down between sessions or not but it didn't really matter as we were all wearing gloves and gear anyway so why bother. I did end up at an impromptu B and C group meeting without my mask (forgot it while going to the bathroom, then they randomly called a meeting because people kept on passing in the turns and getting black flagged) and no one cared, but I stood back more than 6 ft back because it was my fault I forgot a mask. I did have to ask for help in getting my one piece suit off and the guys that helped me didn't seem worried. You also do end up talking to people with your helmet on but not a mask, which probably isn't ideal with the visor up, but no one seemed to worry about it. The Apex Assasins guys were very friendly and helpful, and do monthly events there so I'm going to try to go to more. I followed one of them for the whole first session, which was very helpful, then after that when I was talking to them he gave me a good tip for one of the more interesting parts of the track.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sounds pretty cool, I’ve been curious how track days have been going with covid and what not. Thanks for sharing! Also if you do find some time I’m at least interested in you 660 thoughts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've owned a lot of yellow bikes and it may just be the best bike color

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I could see maybe a yellow Ducati but more like the Lamborghini yellow than acid yellow

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode a yellow Ducati once, and it was good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yellow bikes: a land of contrasts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yellow bikes: a land of contrasts

How quickly did you fall over after this pic?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Post only yellow bikes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

How quickly did you fall over after this pic?

Perspective trick. The bike is like 10 feet outside of my garage. I just wheeled it back in

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Test road street bob, picking up softail standard in a day or two.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

NoDoorway posted:

Test road street bob, picking up softail standard in a day or two.

Steakandchips posted:

NoDoors, I suggest you test ride the Fat Bob.

I have one. It’s fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

A bit out of my budget