Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1340587338800525312?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's running a country, it's supposed to be a tough gig.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Especially if you manage to piledrive the country into the loving core of the earth through a decade making terrible decisions purely to benefit yourselves and punish others. If I spectacularly hosed up at work I'd probably find it a little awkward too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

their summer house eh

I've probably mentioned before but my sister's husband is an absolute City Of London wanker banker stereotype who works for one of the major credit rating agencies. So yeah they do have a summerhouse in the west of Ireland. Last time I caught up with them over Zoom he laid out his life philosophy of how making money is basically the only worthwhile human pursuit. It was one of the most insanely nihilistic things I've heard outside of a 4chan spree-killer manifesto.

Still, he seems to be a good dad to my nieces and he lives in a different country so :shrug:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

I have literally never seen anyone give a poo poo about those, even in the first lockdown, tbqh.
Our local Waitrose has physically cordoned off sections of the fruit and veg to force you to zigzag through it before entering the rest of the shop. So if you just want to grab some milk you still have to weave past everyone buying bananas, or if you get to the onions and remember you need a courgette you can't just cut through the middle, you have to go contraflow all the way back around.

The one time I went to the big Morrison's this year they'd arranged it so that instead of walking up to whichever of the ~20 tills to check out like normal, there was a single queue for all the checkouts with staff directing you to the next free checkout. In practice this meant the queue was backed up through half the store, and people with trolleys doing their shopping had to weave through the people with trolleys waiting in line.

It's total loving madness that doesn't help anything even on paper and I am extremely Old Man Yells At Cloud about it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

bump_fn posted:

being mad at individuals instead of the government is wrong but it’s ok to be mad at home counties gammon in principle

Being mad at people without the means or brains to do or know better is bad, being mad at people with both the means and brains to do or know better who choose not to is fine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Our local Waitrose has physically cordoned off sections of the fruit and veg to force you to zigzag through it before entering the rest of the shop. So if you just want to grab some milk you still have to weave past everyone buying bananas, or if you get to the onions and remember you need a courgette you can't just cut through the middle, you have to go contraflow all the way back around.

The one time I went to the big Morrison's this year they'd arranged it so that instead of walking up to whichever of the ~20 tills to check out like normal, there was a single queue for all the checkouts with staff directing you to the next free checkout. In practice this meant the queue was backed up through half the store, and people with trolleys doing their shopping had to weave through the people with trolleys waiting in line.

It's total loving madness that doesn't help anything even on paper and I am extremely Old Man Yells At Cloud about it.

I was in John Lewis a couple of weeks ago and they actually had someone regulating access to the escalator to ensure there were enough steps between everyone. Obviously this just meant there was a massive scrum of people waiting their turn at the bottom of the escalator, and everyone entering the shop had to navigate around the scrum.

There's still supermarkets with half their self-checkouts closed and it's so loving stupid. It just means there's a longer queue and everyone is inside in the shop for twice as long.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sainsburies and co-op have stuck to the one way systems all the way through but tescos got rid of all theirs ages ago

Definitely easier avoiding people when you're not being herded

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

peanut- posted:

There's still supermarkets with half their self-checkouts closed and it's so loving stupid. It just means there's a longer queue and everyone is inside in the shop for twice as long.

Snuh? What's the logic in this?

My chemist has people take a number from the machine inside the door, then wait outside (courtesy umbrellas available) until their number is show on the TV in the window. Seems to work quite well.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Skarsnik posted:

Sainsburies and co-op have stuck to the one way systems all the way through but tescos got rid of all theirs ages ago

also you can get in and out faster if you're not being corralled behind Old Man Jones who has to handle and examine every loose piece of produce before choosing anything

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Last time I caught up with them over Zoom he laid out his life philosophy of how making money is basically the only worthwhile human pursuit.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Still, he seems to be a good dad to my nieces
That seems counterintuitive, if he genuinely believed in the first one then he'd be monetizing his kids as chimney sweeps or have the parenting skills of a panda, because parenting is antithetical to the business model.

I'd bet, he almost certainly doesn't wholly believe the first one, he may even believe he believes it, but he doesn't really, it's just edgy American Psycho poo poo that business dweebs say to signal that they're good at business.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'd bet, he almost certainly doesn't wholly believe the first one, he may even believe he believes it, but he doesn't really, it's just edgy American Psycho poo poo that business dweebs say to signal that they're good at business.

Its 100% that, he's just a dude who tried to escape dweebdom by becoming a Master Of The Universe. Easier to leave him at it though, he's dug that hole pretty deep for himself. Somewhat incongruously, he's vehemently anti-Tory and supported Corbyn, which maybe you can just attribute to Irish genetic hatred of Tories I dunno

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is it fully tin foil to think the government wanted some of thsi chaos because now brexit on jan1 can be blamed on covid border closures and poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bump_fn posted:

is it fully tin foil to think the government wanted some of thsi chaos because now brexit on jan1 can be blamed on covid border closures and poo poo

I imagine it crossed many a minister's mind even if it wasn't the explicit plan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Skarsnik posted:

The Sainsbury's near me hasn't ever been one way because it's a loving nightmare in a big supermarket where stuff gets moved somewhat frequently. They haven't been limiting how many in store though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bump_fn posted:

Let's call it a silver lining. The political hit from cancelling Christmas wouldn't be worth it I don't think.

The tories already have their scapegoat for brexit: the EU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Guavanaut posted:

That seems counterintuitive, if he genuinely believed in the first one then he'd be monetizing his kids as chimney sweeps or have the parenting skills of a panda, because parenting is antithetical to the business model.

People like this are fascinating, because I can never truly accept that anyone really feels this way, or believes these things. I think that they must fundamentally be like me, but just lying to the world.

I feel the same about the people I work with who have a nearly religious devotion to Agile.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somewhat incongruously, he's vehemently anti-Tory and supported Corbyn, which maybe you can just attribute to Irish genetic hatred of Tories I dunno
Yeah that is weird, unless he actually knew his stuff that McDonnell's massive national investment would be good for business and the economy, and continued Tory austerity would not. Most "I am good at business which is make money" types hated Corbyn even if they also hated Johnson.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s gonna be so embarrassing when teh tories win again in four years

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bump_fn posted:

:hmmyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

People like this are fascinating, because I can never truly accept that anyone really feels this way, or believes these things. I think that they must fundamentally be like me, but just lying to the world.

I feel the same about the people I work with who have a nearly religious devotion to Agile.

LOL I am a long defunct six sigma black belt.

We'd get in these vertical project groups from the the 'man or woman on the spade' right up to board level. And one of the values would always be 'honesty'. Then there'd a second huddle with the 'man or woman on the spade' and a couple more of the foot-soldiery of the business excluded and it would be made quite clear that the 'honesty' was one way only - from the bottom up. No requirement for the top to be honest with the lower ranks. Without a doubt there was probably an even more exclusive sub-project team from which yours truly would have been excluded with even less requirement for honesty.

I left before Agile spread its claws into the business.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Btw don't remember if anyone posted - France have banned all UK traffic INCLUDING FREIGHT for a minimum of 48 hours.
Lorry park Kent, anyone?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lean and Agile imply replacing the staff with greyhounds.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LOL I am a long defunct six sigma black belt.

We'd get in these vertical project groups from the the 'man or woman on the spade' right up to board level. And one of the values would always be 'honesty'. Then there'd a second huddle with the 'man or woman on the spade' and a couple more of the foot-soldiery of the business excluded and it would be made quite clear that the 'honesty' was one way only - from the bottom up. No requirement for the top to be honest with the lower ranks. Without a doubt there was probably an even more exclusive sub-project team from which yours truly would have been excluded with even less requirement for honesty.

I left before Agile spread its claws into the business.

i recognize the individual words but this just looks like GPT3 output

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobstar posted:

Snuh? What's the logic in this?

self-checkouts are extremely close to each other in most supermarkets

personally I found keeping my distance was much easier when everyone was going the same way and is now much harder when you're having to negotiate two directions of traffic, but I guess we can't have people spend an extra 5 minutes doing a loop because they forgot something, oh no

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 20, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bump_fn posted:

Butbutbut this time they will be wearing a red rosette.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

The Sainsbury's near me hasn't ever been one way because it's a loving nightmare in a big supermarket where stuff gets moved somewhat frequently. They haven't been limiting how many in store though
Limiting the numbers in store is a concept I am fully on board with and TBH I wouldn't mind if it became a permanent thing. I would much rather wait outside for half an hour and have a reasonable shopping experience than try to navigate crowds of people on the very edge of going fully feral in the meal deal section.

Julio Cruz posted:

personally I found keeping my distance was much easier when everyone was going the same way and is now much harder when you're having to negotiate two directions of traffic, but I guess we can't have people spend an extra 5 minutes doing a loop because they forgot something, oh no
If you're spending extra time in the store then you're spending more time with people in an enclosed space which is exactly what all these special measures are supposed to prevent

TACD fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 20, 2020

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Jose posted:

My local tescos has a Traffic light system for entering, it's like boarding the Chanel tunnel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they fitted those to a lot of the tescos, it's a good idea in theory, I assume it repurposes the door sensors to count how many people are leaving or entering. Would probably be at least as accurate as having someone on the door to do it like some of the sainsburys are doing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Btw don't remember if anyone posted - France have banned all UK traffic INCLUDING FREIGHT for a minimum of 48 hours.
Lorry park Kent, anyone?
This sounds incredible, do you have a link?

I'm really curious what the worst-cast estimates are for lorry queues in Kent because it's guaranteed to be worse than that almost immediately after midnight on New Year's, if not before

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah that is weird, unless he actually knew his stuff that McDonnell's massive national investment would be good for business and the economy, and continued Tory austerity would not. Most "I am good at business which is make money" types hated Corbyn even if they also hated Johnson.

Yeah from what I can glean from drunken debate he's basically a Keynesian, and not a dumb guy, just deeply committed to getting paid and suppressing any nagging doubts within (I guess). Which I kind of assume is pretty standard, most people don't believe the bullshit but they certainly believe their paychecks.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

After yesterday’s announcement my sister and I have both decided to not go home for Christmas. Parents wanted us to come home last night and even though I tested negative last week and have barely left the flat since that didn’t feel right. Going to have Christmas with the boyfriend and go for a walk with my sister on Christmas Eve now which should be nice but do feel bad for mum and dad as I think they were really excited to have us all home.

Asda today was chaos. We got there before 11 but it was already open. Not sure why they bother having the fencing outside for the queue when it was rammed inside. I wonder if it’s just security not wanting to deal with customer aggro. It’s just ridiculous because queuing outside is much nicer than swamped aisles or queuing to pay.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dugong posted:

Asda today was chaos. We got there before 11 but it was already open. Not sure why they bother having the fencing outside for the queue when it was rammed inside. I wonder if it’s just security not wanting to deal with customer aggro. It’s just ridiculous because queuing outside is much nicer than swamped aisles or queuing to pay.

The local big sainsbury was absolutely deserted at 9pm just now. Shelves almost fully stocked or in the process of being restocked, and open til midnight next couple of days. IMO early morning or (in more normal festive times) just after finishing work is when more of the people who are keen to push others out the way to get their Must Have Items are there. Go as late in the evening as possible and it's a much calmer experience in my experience.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The local big sainsbury was absolutely deserted at 9pm just now. Shelves almost fully stocked or in the process of being restocked, and open til midnight next couple of days. IMO early morning or (in more normal festive times) just after finishing work is when more of the people who are keen to push others out the way to get their Must Have Items are there. Go as late in the evening as possible and it's a much calmer experience in my experience.

It's Sunday, was it deserted because you broke in?

This border closing to freight thing seems bad. Wish I actually had stockpiled food now.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

bessantj posted:

We were up the same place last week and one of the lads flashed his light into a window and there was a woman undressing in her bedroom, she hadn't done a great job of closing her curtains. He was trying for the same this week. I don't know if "sexually humiliate" is the right phrase was just a bit miffed by his reasoning..

Oh, I follow now. Urrrgh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TACD posted:

If you're spending extra time in the store then you're spending more time with people in an enclosed space which is exactly what all these special measures are supposed to prevent

smdh, just send your manservant to get your groceries

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

just make a shopping list?
you can even get apps for that now.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dugong posted:

After yesterday’s announcement my sister and I have both decided to not go home for Christmas. Parents wanted us to come home last night and even though I tested negative last week and have barely left the flat since that didn’t feel right. Going to have Christmas with the boyfriend and go for a walk with my sister on Christmas Eve now which should be nice but do feel bad for mum and dad as I think they were really excited to have us all home.

That's probably the approach we'd have taken in your situation, though as our actual plan was for my wife's dad and brother to come to us we just had to cancel them (they didn't argue).

Mostly just replying to say I saw your avatar and thought you were Video Games until I got to the bit about your boyfriend.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

peanut- posted:

It's Sunday, was it deserted because you broke in?

They could be in Scotland. (not too sure about Welsh or NI Sunday trading laws)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
this loving government is the absolute loving pits. Cannot get over how enormously awful it is. I will loathe the Tories until the day I die.