Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What does the malus perk do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
According to the Bounties III page it reduces rate of fire and pulling out of guns, but is supposed to increase damage.

According to reddit, it can be removed via this.

1. type "help scarred 4" in console to find the Perk ID.

2. type player.removeperk XXXXXXXX where X is the Perk ID.

3. Profit

So I assume it is not hardcoded.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just had a weird brain wave mod moment here.

There needs to be a mod where you can reassemble the botched round Benny shot you with at the start so you can return the favor.

Medical 25, Guns 25 and Survival 25. Bonus points if somehow the player can wear it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've got good news:

A Bullet With Benny's Name On It

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Y'know you wanna go the extra mile knock maria outta his hands and use it to kill him. It's how I was planning to kill ulysses. He wants to beat me over the head with flag metaphors. I'm gonna metaphorically beat him upside the head with a flag.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The true Couriers mile.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
On an unrelated note, does JESawyer lower companion carrying capacity super low? Because it is one of the mods I have and all my companions only have a 35lb carrying capacity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It shouldn't make it anything like that low, it makes base carrying capacity 50lbs

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never modded before and New Vegas vanilla runs like poo poo on my pc so I'm trying to do the basic stability + improvement mods everyone recommends

I'm stuck on step 1: the 4gb patch

I got the MSVCR12.dll error that seems to be common, so I went online and the solution is a)install the Visual C++ stuff b)install the x86 and x64 versions of the dll in their respective windows system folders

I've done these steps and still get the error when I run the 4gb patch and am at a loss what to do next

I don't have a graphics card so am running onboard graphics on my i5-4590 cpu, if that matters

also I'm running the Steam version of the game, not the GOG version that comes with the 4gb patch preloaded

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

2house2fly posted:

It shouldn't make it anything like that low, it makes base carrying capacity 50lbs

Gotcha, I saw a bug report that someone else had a similar problem, I'll need to look into my MCM to see if I have it set lower.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

I've never modded before and New Vegas vanilla runs like poo poo on my pc so I'm trying to do the basic stability + improvement mods everyone recommends

I'm stuck on step 1: the 4gb patch

I got the MSVCR12.dll error that seems to be common, so I went online and the solution is a)install the Visual C++ stuff b)install the x86 and x64 versions of the dll in their respective windows system folders

I've done these steps and still get the error when I run the 4gb patch and am at a loss what to do next

I don't have a graphics card so am running onboard graphics on my i5-4590 cpu, if that matters

also I'm running the Steam version of the game, not the GOG version that comes with the 4gb patch preloaded

Which specific version of C++ library are you installing? This in 32 bit should be all you need. Also, are you following a specific guide or just installing stuff that's been talked about in the thread?

E:

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

According to the Bounties III page it reduces rate of fire and pulling out of guns, but is supposed to increase damage.

According to reddit, it can be removed via this.

1. type "help scarred 4" in console to find the Perk ID.

2. type player.removeperk XXXXXXXX where X is the Perk ID.

3. Profit

So I assume it is not hardcoded.

I think help only works like that in Fallout 4 or maybe if there's a specific NVSE script that does it, IDK. FNV worked, though. xx059361 for the curious. And BurritoJustice, the scarred perk can be removed via console.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 12, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

[quote="Mooktastical" post="510685160"]
Which specific version of C++ library are you installing? This in 32 bit should be all you need. Also, are you following a specific guide or just installing stuff that's been talked about in the thread?

Visual C++ redistributable packages are what I installed for both x86 and x64, then I downloaded the x86 and x64 dlls and put them into their respective system folders

I was using this as a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPo5pDT3bKA&t=435s, someone recommended https://vivanewvegas.github.io/ but since I'm stuck on running the patch I haven't bothered to go further in to either of them

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70607

quote:

Any self-respecting courier must have transport and equipment.
Talk to Easy Pete of Goodsprings about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oK7Fx7ep1A

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question, are there any mods that push back the point of no return when it comes to picking a side in New Vegas? I know there are some that can't be (Caesar immediately demands you kill House, etc.), but I was curious all the same.

I'd like to be able to do things like fix Caesar's tumor while maybe allying with House or NCR in the end.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
New question, ran into a quest-ending bug with New Vegas Bounties and Freeside Open. I got the compatibility patch, and am doing the Alexs bounty, the guy cannibalizing hobos in Freeside. The Jasper guy appeared and I talked to him, and then it directed me to go find the remains of Ben. I went where the cursor told me to, but the quest will not advance any further (It won't say I found his remains or force Alex to pop up). I've seen a number of fixes on line (Setstage quest, etc.), but all of them require me to get the load order for the mod, and I'm stuck because there's 3 different numbers, and none of them seem to work (Priority on the left says 65, Priority on the right side says 79, and mod index says 30, but none of them get recognized by the in-game engine as being correct).

Any solutions here or am I screwed to never be able to finish this quest/have to completely restart without Freeside Open installed?

EDIT: VVV I hadn't tried that, I will. I'm half-tempted to start over with this character anyway as I'm not too happy with my roleplaying so far. I think I jumped too quick into bounty-hunting and always feel like for story purposes your character should rush to New Vegas to figure out what's going on. Instead I'm always trying to min-max just exactly when to complete quests and it gets a little anxiety-producing after a while. I think I may just restart anyway, but I'll let you know if that compatibility patch works.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 20, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mod index should be the right number, you might want to try the mod index number for the compatibility patch if you haven't already.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

where does one even begin with modding New Vegas these days? I went to look at the most popular of all time on Nexus and it gave me a weird list that didn't even have the Mod Manager or ropekid's hack

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html

This is your answer.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this essentially has all the good stuff for the modern scene? we should see if that can get added to the OP

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this essentially has all the good stuff for the modern scene? we should see if that can get added to the OP

We need a whole new modding thread at the OP will never get updated.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just sent a report to the mods asking them to stick the link in the OP as a bare minimum little thing

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's worth noting that Viva New Vegas has recently been significantly downscaled to offer much more of a vanilla+ experience. This is because the creator no longer had the opportunity to maintain VNV as it was (real life and all that, you know how it is) and therefore made a much simpler setup that requires much less maintenance and attention on their behalf.

The old guide is supposedly still available for download in their Discord group under the name "Living in New Vegas" (I think that was the name), but I haven't gone looking for it myself.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's worth noting that Viva New Vegas has recently been significantly downscaled to offer much more of a vanilla+ experience. This is because the creator no longer had the opportunity to maintain VNV as it was (real life and all that, you know how it is) and therefore made a much simpler setup that requires much less maintenance and attention on their behalf.

The old guide is supposedly still available for download in their Discord group under the name "Living in New Vegas" (I think that was the name), but I haven't gone looking for it myself.

This is it: https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/livinginnewvegas

It takes a really long time to get running but the end result is loving fantastic. Super buttery smooth New Vegas with no crashes or glitches. That said, Vanilla+ is still a good choice because New Vegas rules.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SeanBeansShako posted:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Hey folks--can't believe this thread is almost ten years old at this point! I wanted to let you know that ShallNoiseUpon PM'ed me and asked if I could put the link from SeanBeansShako into the OP. It's now at the very top of the first post, along with a disclaimer that a lot of the information in the OP hasn't been updated in years and is likely broken/obsolete.

I obviously won't begrudge the community for opting to start a new modding thread if they want; I kind of ran out of bandwidth to keep it updated about 5 years ago, but at the very least you'll all be able to say "check the very first link at the top of the very first page" for the time being.

Thanks!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

New question, ran into a quest-ending bug with New Vegas Bounties and Freeside Open. I got the compatibility patch, and am doing the Alexs bounty, the guy cannibalizing hobos in Freeside. The Jasper guy appeared and I talked to him, and then it directed me to go find the remains of Ben. I went where the cursor told me to, but the quest will not advance any further (It won't say I found his remains or force Alex to pop up). I've seen a number of fixes on line (Setstage quest, etc.), but all of them require me to get the load order for the mod, and I'm stuck because there's 3 different numbers, and none of them seem to work (Priority on the left says 65, Priority on the right side says 79, and mod index says 30, but none of them get recognized by the in-game engine as being correct).

Any solutions here or am I screwed to never be able to finish this quest/have to completely restart without Freeside Open installed?

EDIT: VVV I hadn't tried that, I will. I'm half-tempted to start over with this character anyway as I'm not too happy with my roleplaying so far. I think I jumped too quick into bounty-hunting and always feel like for story purposes your character should rush to New Vegas to figure out what's going on. Instead I'm always trying to min-max just exactly when to complete quests and it gets a little anxiety-producing after a while. I think I may just restart anyway, but I'll let you know if that compatibility patch works.

Are those load order numbers base 10 or hexadecimal? Because your console commands need the load order number to be in hex

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Did VNV get rid of the extra quests/content section? I never bothered installing that stuff, but I just handing a friend who hasn't played fnv the link before and the whole site looks reorganized

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JawKnee posted:

Did VNV get rid of the extra quests/content section? I never bothered installing that stuff, but I just handing a friend who hasn't played fnv the link before and the whole site looks reorganized

Yeah, it got pared down just a few weeks ago. You can find the old guide here: https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/livinginnewvegas

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After watching Hbomberguy's new video about this game, I've decided to go back and give it another try. I've looked at the link at the top of the OP - should I just follow that guide to the letter? Mostly, I just want the game to look nicer, and if possible, for the gunplay to feel a little punchier and weightier.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yah, VNV will take care of you. There's also a light version with only a handful of the very most essential mods and fixes if the full size guide looks intimidating.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Current VNV IS the light version, the original's name is now Living in New Vegas

e: That said, for an initial playthrough, the current light version of VNV will probably do the trick. I haven't tried the new one myself, but the old guide was stellar, so this new one is likely to be competently put together as well.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 21, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I followed the big guide linked at the top of the OP to the letter, and I think it's all working? I got a couple of messages when I first booted the game telling me that the JSawyer mod was active, at least.

It doesn't really have any visual stuff in it though - something to tone down the yellow filter, and that's about it. No texture stuff. How would I go about getting some better textures and making sure it's compatible with what I've already installed? I don't really understand that GitHub link or what I'm meant to do with it.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 21, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly I don't know how it's supposed to work either. I think the idea is to download it and opening it via your web browser?

Like less than a month ago it was hosted where the current guide is now and provided a comprehensive and solid experience (visuals included.

I miss it :(

e: Basically the old VNV guide was THE mod guide for FNV, and so little time has passed that there isn't a real replacement around yet.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 21, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThaumPenguin posted:

Honestly I don't know how it's supposed to work either. I think the idea is to download it and opening it via your web browser?

Like less than a month ago it was hosted where the current guide is now and provided a comprehensive and solid experience (visuals included.

I miss it :(

e: Basically the old VNV guide was THE mod guide for FNV, and so little time has passed that there isn't a real replacement around yet.

drat :( can anyone recommend a texture pack that will work with the new lightweight VNV guide linked in the OP? I don't need anything nuts, just something that spruces the game up a bit.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43135/ this seems to be the one I keep seeing - I get how to install it now thanks to that website, but I don't really understand load order. How do I tell where to put it?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 22, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would just put it at the bottom. I use NMC Small it and it looks great. Textures dont tend to have issues unless a mod calls on a texture that isnt there

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would just put it at the bottom. I use NMC Small it and it looks great. Textures dont tend to have issues unless a mod calls on a texture that isnt there

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bardeh posted:

drat :( can anyone recommend a texture pack that will work with the new lightweight VNV guide linked in the OP? I don't need anything nuts, just something that spruces the game up a bit.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43135/ this seems to be the one I keep seeing - I get how to install it now thanks to that website, but I don't really understand load order. How do I tell where to put it?

Things higher in the load order are overwritten by things lower in the load order, so you generally want the bigger gameplay mods higher up. Purely graphical stuff you generally want lower.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I never start up a new playthrough without Busted Moon mod in the load order.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48146

Went to fetch the T-60 power armor at the Promontory and the Deathclaw encounter was a bit rough, forgot to prepare for that.

Ready for a BBQ now.

You'd think the All Flammable Enemies Panic On Fire would be over powered but you gotta mind the ticks and manage the crowd control.

Woops. This happened quite a bit, nothing like a Deathclaw leaping at you through flames and gutting you... really nothing else like it.

A ton of flamer fuel, a dozen incendiary grenades and a dozen demolition charges from Dead Money.

I asked for this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a mod that makes the moon look like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There may be a similarity enough between how the moon is shown that this Fallout 3 mod may work for New Vegas, as the "installation" is largely replacing some images and altering an .ini file.

This mod is No-Bark Approved, no doubt, as it's clear evidence of commie Chairman Cheng's megalomania before the bombs dropped.