Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I hope there's cyanide on the menu at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Who the gently caress is Mr. Beast and why is he being advertised at me constantly? Is it because I watched something related to gaming on youtube?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
he is a gaming tuber who also just throws money everywhere

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Who the gently caress is Mr. Beast and why is he being advertised at me constantly? Is it because I watched something related to gaming on youtube?

you can block channels from being recommended

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

he is a gaming tuber who also just throws money everywhere

sounds like a cool guy, hecould really own me by throwing a load of money through my letterbox

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Failed Imagineer posted:

sounds like a cool guy, hecould really own me by throwing a load of money through my letterbox

I think he popularized the trend of dropping subs/cash on small streamers so you could roll that dice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The dishwasher in my apartment broke, how long do we think it'll be before they send someone to fix it?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

The dishwasher in my apartment broke, how long do we think it'll be before they send someone to fix it?

your landlord wants you to know that you have 2 perfectly functioning hands (I'm assuming)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

clean dishes with your genitals it's what all us zoomers love doing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Nastier Nate posted:

your landlord wants you to know that you have 2 perfectly functioning hands (I'm assuming)

Wouldn't surprise me, I went from January 30th to March 23rd with exposed wires on the recently renovated balcony. I'm pretty sure they only got fixed because I put them on blast at Facebook

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKj7fn4mC4

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I noticed that my local target is really Leaning hard into self checkouts. More and more they’re adding more kiosks and opening less cashier lanes and last night (a week before Christmas) they only had 1 teenager overseeing like 10 self checkout kiosks. Why it’s Ike there’s nothing to prevent you from pretending to scan a lightweight item and just putting it in the bag (you wouldn’t want to do it with something heavy like a gallon of milk cause of the weight sensors in the bagging area). And it’s like you and Target both save money because they aren’t paying a cashier $12 an hour.

We write software for self-checkouts at work now. Those loving bag-weighing scales are the worst, cuz depending on configuration either they're so sensitive they alert on literally everything, or they're so insensitive you can basically do whatever you want. Generally they start out as the first thing, and then rapidly get turned into the second thing once they realize it's a waste of time.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

We write software for self-checkouts at work now. Those loving bag-weighing scales are the worst, cuz depending on configuration either they're so sensitive they alert on literally everything, or they're so insensitive you can basically do whatever you want. Generally they start out as the first thing, and then rapidly get turned into the second thing once they realize it's a waste of time.

so then what's the magic weight limit (assume an average) that you can put something on the scale and the machine won't yell at you for having an unathorized item in the bagging area?

1 pound? 2?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tOkcbI5dvI

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

I noticed that my local target is really Leaning hard into self checkouts. More and more they’re adding more kiosks and opening less cashier lanes and last night (a week before Christmas) they only had 1 teenager overseeing like 10 self checkout kiosks. Why it’s Ike there’s nothing to prevent you from pretending to scan a lightweight item and just putting it in the bag (you wouldn’t want to do it with something heavy like a gallon of milk cause of the weight sensors in the bagging area). And it’s like you and Target both save money because they aren’t paying a cashier $12 an hour.

My mom went into a Walmart the other day and said they had two or three checkout lanes with actual cashiers open, and about 7-10 self-checkout lanes open. The self-checkout lanes weren't currently accepting cash so all the Florida old people were crammed into mile long lines for the regular checkout. She said she overheard one woman saying she had been waiting to get to the register for 20 minutes.

I wonder if this is old people refusing to use cards because they didn't have to when they were younger, if they think cashless society is the mark of the beast, or (most likely) both.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

so then what's the magic weight limit (assume an average) that you can put something on the scale and the machine won't yell at you for having an unathorized item in the bagging area?

1 pound? 2?

That's the thing, I don't know. It's set up by the store and we just hook into it. Sometimes it's just turned off entirely. Point of sale systems are a goddamn mess.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

My mom went into a Walmart the other day and said they had two or three checkout lanes with actual cashiers open, and about 7-10 self-checkout lanes open. The self-checkout lanes weren't currently accepting cash so all the Florida old people were crammed into mile long lines for the regular checkout. She said she overheard one woman saying she had been waiting to get to the register for 20 minutes.

I wonder if this is old people refusing to use cards because they didn't have to when they were younger, if they think cashless society is the mark of the beast, or (most likely) both.
Self checkout lanes are scabs. I guess they're fine if you steal at least an hour or two of wages worth stuff while you use them, as a tax.

Could also be tax avoidance with cash, or they wanted to write a check.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

lobsterminator posted:

Anyone feel like a generic burger branded with a youtube influencer's name?

https://twitter.com/DylanLathrop/status/1340690817216729089

Has anyone checked in on Garfield eats recently? How’s that coming along.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soap and Tea: not just for pussies anymore!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That bar of soap looks rad.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Post-conflict country

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Self-checkouts suck because you can't use them (the ones I've seen) with gloves on so you'll get the plague off them.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
My wife brought home a pound of sliced roast beef from the store the other week. Was $18. She just finished the last of it today and offhandedly remarked that it was way more expensive than she thought and that oops it fell in the bag and she forgot to pay for it. 8 years of marriage and she still finds new ways to make me love her more

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It’s a moral obligation to steal from walmart. If they wanted me to not steal they would gave real cashiers and not make me do it unpaid

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

jetz0r posted:

Self checkout lanes are scabs. I guess they're fine if you steal at least an hour or two of wages worth stuff while you use them, as a tax.

Could also be tax avoidance with cash, or they wanted to write a check.

One time an old roommate and I went grocery shopping at a kroger at like 2am. He bought cold medicine that had pseudoephedrine in it and sort of stalled the machine to call over a cashier, but still let him scan items making noises. When it came time to pay it wouldn't let him until the attendant put in their code. But in the meantime it had not been adding up everything else he scanned. Paid $75 for about $300 worth of groceries haha

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I carry cash and a card, and pay with either depending on what would be faster.

I also refuse to use self-checkout, BUT if I absolutely have to I do as much as I can to completely gently caress it up and make a hassle that requires a manager to come fix.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Self-checkouts suck because you can't use them (the ones I've seen) with gloves on so you'll get the plague off them.

What why

I guess if you have to key in produce?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

What why

I guess if you have to key in produce?

First you have to press to start, the to not have a bonus card, then to pay. And it's a bad touchscreen so no gloves.

Why do you have to do all that? Because they SUCK.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
also you cant buy booze at self checkout in CA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My leather wallet activates touchscreens, so I just type with the corner of it. It's just a regular leather wallet my friend gave me. You should try it next time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

First you have to press to start, the to not have a bonus card, then to pay. And it's a bad touchscreen so no gloves.

Why do you have to do all that? Because they SUCK.

The ones near me you can just start scanning and never have to touch the screen for anything except produce

You can get capacitive-tip gloves though

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

you are a weak babby, if gloves blocks your power simply get stronger and develop psychic technology control powers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Plush the screen with your genital imo

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

just lick the touchscreen, and take a shot of the hand sanitizer on the way out

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

Anyone feel like a generic burger branded with a youtube influencer's name?

https://twitter.com/DylanLathrop/status/1340690817216729089

that dude became famous on youtube by having a video of him counting to 100k

then he did a 200k one

now he has 45m followers

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Dec 21, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Zenithe posted:

That bar of soap looks rad.

it looks like it came straight outta flavortown.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

actionjackson posted:

that dude became famous on youtube by having a video of him counting to 100k

how the gently caress long did this take

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
When I was working in a different area, every time I would go to the self checkout at the "nice" grocery store the attendant hovered over me making sure I scanned every item.

Like drat, I'd only go there when I was heading to that part of town and needed to pick something up on the way. poo poo's overpriced and the same product as the regular grocery store.

It made me avoid that place as much as possible, which might be the point?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I moved slightly outside the city and my self-checkout experience went from those tightly calibrated scales with a sentinel hovering over your every move to a store in the same chain that doesn't even have bag scales, they're just unmechanized platforms. It's probably the most embarrassing indicator of bougie status in my life right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

indigi posted:

how the gently caress long did this take

well the 200k counting took 55 hours