Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Less delegation, forums democracy for paradox LPs is basically entertainment kryptonite.

Economic Ideas, just feels like where our nation is really headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Also, please vote for ideas!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, humanist ideas.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tulip posted:

Less delegation, forums democracy for paradox LPs is basically entertainment kryptonite.

Both of these, Less delegation and Economic Ideas

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

:emptyquote:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

More delegation, and Expansion

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
More delegation

Humanist
(it's good and there's some nice policy combinations with what we already have)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tulip posted:

I still have nightmares about :helladid:.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Humanist Ideals

I wish Tibet to be a light from a high place.

I do not know which way to vote as regards forums democracy. I think argumentation may ensue!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Less delegation

The economy, fools!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Delegate everything

Humanist Ideas

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

megane posted:

Delegate everything

Humanist Ideas

Delegate everything

Humanist Ideas

Agreed!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Less Delegation
But if we are to do it, keep as much of the deliberation and politcking as possible in the thread

Quantity Ideas

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
No

Economic Ideals

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Less delegation

Humanist

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

More Delegation Is the direction we have consistently been heading and stopping now is objectively cowardice

Quality Ideas

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
More delegation

Humanist

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Less delegation

Humanist

Forums democracy isn't my thing, I tend to end up skipping most or all of it, so for me it just clogs things up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
NO on more delegation.

No opinion on ideas.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

RabidWeasel posted:

Nthing

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

zealouscub posted:

More delegation

Humanist

This

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Less Delegation

Economic Ideas

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Less delegation, though I wouldn't be opposed to the thread occasionally voting on/informally suggesting actions that party in power might pursue.

Humanist

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Caustic Soda posted:

Less delegation

Humanist

Forums democracy isn't my thing, I tend to end up skipping most or all of it, so for me it just clogs things up.

Pretty much this.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Less delegation. Dont mind occasional votes though.

Humanist

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Less Delegation

Expansion ideas

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Less delegation

Expansion

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Tulip posted:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Tulip posted:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Ideas:
Humanist: 13 (Pacho, Lynneth, frankenfreak, Josef bugman, megane, RagnarokZ, Guper, zealouscub, Caustic Soda, Technowolf, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi)
Economic: 10 (Tulip, RabidWeasel, Jeoh, McGavin, Lynneth, Danny Glands, habeasdorkus, Soup du Jour, HereticMIND, Flesnolk)
Expansion: 3 (Lord Cyrahzax, idhrendur, Albino Squirrel)
Quality: 1 (Rody One Half)
Quantity: 1 (Xelkelvos)

Voting/Delegation:
YES/PARLIAMENTARY VOTING/MORE DELEGATION: 9 (Lynneth, Pacho, Lord Cyrahzax, frankenfreak, megane, RagnarokZ, Rody One Half, zealouscub, Technowolf)
NO/REGULAR VOTING/LESS DELEGATION: 19 (Tulip, RabidWeasel, Jeoh, McGavin, Lynneth, Xelkelvos, Danny Glands, Guper, Caustic Soda, GunnerJ, habeasdorkus, Soup du Jour, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi, idhrendur, Albino Squirrel, HereticMIND, Flesnolk)

In accordance with the Drötsok's deliberation, the Heavenly Republic will focus on Humanistic ideas. The vote in the thread will continue as before, and I will not introduce parliamentary mechanics.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
It seems this assembly of notables wants to get rich from Tibet but aren't willing to work for it. A sad day for our Republic

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Pacho posted:

It seems this assembly of notables wants to get rich from Tibet but aren't willing to work for it. A sad day for our Republic

:sad:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The government that rules least rules best.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pacho posted:

Work smarter not harder!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
We don't want to end up like el-Andalus.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Kangxi posted:

:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Ideas:
Humanist: 13 (Pacho, Lynneth, frankenfreak, Josef bugman, megane, RagnarokZ, Guper, zealouscub, Caustic Soda, Technowolf, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi)
Economic: 10 (Tulip, RabidWeasel, Jeoh, McGavin, Lynneth, Danny Glands, habeasdorkus, Soup du Jour, HereticMIND, Flesnolk)

Voting/Delegation:
YES/PARLIAMENTARY VOTING/MORE DELEGATION: 9 (Lynneth, Pacho, Lord Cyrahzax, frankenfreak, megane, RagnarokZ, Rody One Half, zealouscub, Technowolf)
NO/REGULAR VOTING/LESS DELEGATION: 19 (Tulip, RabidWeasel, Jeoh, McGavin, Lynneth, Xelkelvos, Danny Glands, Guper, Caustic Soda, GunnerJ, habeasdorkus, Soup du Jour, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi, idhrendur, Albino Squirrel, HereticMIND, Flesnolk)

In accordance with the Drötsok's deliberation, the Heavenly Republic will focus on Humanistic ideas. The vote in the thread will continue as before, and I will not introduce parliamentary mechanics.

I appear to have been counted doubly. Twice.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Lynneth posted:

I appear to have been counted doubly. Twice.

My mistake. Not only did I count you twice, but I forgot to put in NewMars' votes.

Revised total:

Ideas:
Humanist: 13 (Pacho, NewMars, frankenfreak, Josef bugman, megane, RagnarokZ, Guper, zealouscub, Caustic Soda, Technowolf, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi)

Voting/Delegation:
YES/PARLIAMENTARY VOTING/MORE DELEGATION: 9 (NewMars, Pacho, Lord Cyrahzax, frankenfreak, megane, RagnarokZ, Rody One Half, zealouscub, Technowolf)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Oh, crap, I missed voting for Religious ideas again.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 75: 1676 to 1700 - Second Acts

As told by Gesar Lasya, noblewoman

When I first arrived at the court of Lhasa, some 25 years ago, I had first thought it was an elaborate costume party or an opera. The nobles arranged themselves in the attire and armor of the time of Purgyal Gyalyum, or of the last great Empress, Purgyal Lasya, with chain mail thrown casually over their animal skins, all topped with crowns and headdresses bearing the endless knot or the wheel of the law. This was a custom practiced all their life - a mark of distinction between themselves and the other strata of the empire. The remaining Purgyals, and those nobles who claimed descent from the Purgyals were at the top, then those who claimed descent from the high offices of the empire, those who had descended from priests and hierarchic officials, then below them the manorial holders - that's where I was. Then below them, merchants (but not by so much), small householders, then the human rent of peasants, and then those who performed unclean labor. The nomads can ignore all this and live in a give-and-take relationship with the cities and the very steppe they live on. That is how it was.

But we have our republic now -- and now the topics of discussion draw from philosophy, historical comparison, and the nobles' salons and the great schools. This discussion was of rules, of methods, of good governance; and with the conflicts between hierarchy and restorationists so exhausted, the philosophy and ethics of government are now what we must discuss.

The Lonpo, Lotsen Bumphulwa, was fond of building - bridges, temples, schools, mills. There are worse things to spend the money on, and worse places to lend money to.

To pay for all this, he minted more coins with his own face on them.

All this talk of humanity and benevolence is not just talk - the Lonpo has taken the unusual step of hiring a Buddhist, Sangmu Jestun, to be one of his foremost advisors.

He is an intriguing person. Not so much the snot-nosed idealist, but instead prone to understanding the cause and effect of events and seeking consensus before moving ahead. I recall a series of stories he had read out of an old book - he first told the story of an old man who renounced eating impure foods, drank from a stream, and lived as a hermit in a cave. Then there was another man who lived to excess and lived a life of gluttony. The first man was eaten by a tiger, the second died of chest pain at forty. I think of that a lot.

As for our foreign policy, our Lonpo did not sit back and do nothing. When Majahapit threatened our holdings in the Maluku region, he cut them off from trade, at serious cost.

The clergy, having been pushed to a nadir in influence, still reasserted itself in many forms - as learned people, as landowners, and as pillars of the local community, doing services like predictions, sanctifying places, funeral rites, dispelling evil entities, managing inheritance disputes, and so on.

Not all was well. Orissa, once one of the greatest trading republics on the continent saw a humiliating defeat.

At this time, however, shorn of one of its wealthiest vassals, Tibet finally, finally, began to adopt in small workshops and larger factories, the principles of mass production for simple goods. Pins, small tools, rifle barrels, cartridge balls.

Those in the world continue to make their plans - Shun is now the most likely candidate to reunite all of China; the Hierarchy has destroyed all that was left of Dali; and the kingdom of Taira descends into civil war.

Even further abroad, the empire of Carantania suffers a staggering loss to the northerners. The Gryf duchess of Gotland has so clearly destroyed the false Gyalyum of Carantania. Only the original was great, and the copies grow more faded and distorted with time, like a story told by whispers, or a great poem where the storyteller has mistaken half the words.

The old factions of Bon are now still different; they still diverge on many points of doctrine; on monasticism, on the placement of the gods, on the role of warfare, on which monastic lineages matter, on the means to achieve moral perfection, but they tolerate each other. It is not affection, but this may bring about the end of the wars that have troubled Tibet and the Gangetic plain for a century. It is an unsteady compromise, but a necessary one.

Merchants along the spice and silver routes brought back stories of further wars and conquests,

and this was still a time of peace. The Tamils have made signals to our government that they focus on maintaining their own holdings abroad, and so a more cordial peace exists between us as well.

To our east, the period of the manifold dynasties is coming to a close: Dali is in a state of total collapse, Shun and Wu have asserted themselves above all the others in China, and the Taira enter a long and bloody civil war which other kingdoms would advantage of.

Even so, there are rumors of subversion and deceit here; enough time for the players on our stage to reshuffle themselves.

On the one hand, the empires of the earth still conquer, and on the other, subjugated peoples dared to rebel against those who had tried to rule unjustly over them.

Benevolence is in its own way a show of power.

But the heavenly republic continues to expand. At first, against the state of Hsipaw, which was occupied with another war at the time. We ended up splitting it down the middle with Muang Phuan.

We are at least stepping towards a serious program of governance, and equality of the law.

The Hierarchy has its ambitions still, and it marches east.

As for ourselves, the republic asserts control over the local lords;

for this is a government of and for all.

Ayiti continues a long and slow decline -- having overextended itself in gaining and then losing colonies abroad, it has soon lost more to the Muisca and the New Triple Alliance in Cuba and Xamayca. More days of sacrifices...

Our republic continues as it has in times of peace - though our Lonpo is more direct in doing business than most, he continues the faithful relationship between client and patron.

This matters for all things, especially foreign trade, which is represented by so many interests and sellers of products; all of whom have their own interests in turn.

To speak tactfully, to smooth over disputes, and to satisfy the people are qualities a commonwealth needs.

Even so, talk only goes so far. More rebellions.

And further, the court in Lhasa was filled with rumors of spies, secret cliques, and factionalism. The fact that the old Lonpo died suddenly only proved, in the minds of some, the truth of this conspiracy.

The rites of election were prepared, and a new name was drawn from the Golden Urn. Semöl Namdé Orgyen was an old cavalry man and horse breeder, and well-known for his personal bravery. That said, he had almost no experience with managing anything bigger than his personal estate, and he was said to be a spendthrift. So it was some assurance when he brought on some more competent friends from his time in the army to help him out.

Although at times I feel that the world itself changes - slowly, deliberately, with the momentum of several centuries behind it. There are still many kings and emperors upon the earth, and with them, kingdoms and empires. The wise of the court, and I don't mean those that pretend to be wise, say that there is a kind of power beyond sacrifice. They say that the multitude who do evil are usupers to power; they have not earned it.

The nomads still ride in the steppe and on the plateau, and theirs is the land of gods. And to the north, the peoples of the steppe divide themselves further, in interminable deals of clan and family inheritance, but still singing their many songs.

That is not to say that divinity doesn't play a role - on the contrary. Never have people been moved so gleefully, so passionately, to violence as when done through the principles of their conscience.

The old man, to his credit, leads the armies himself.

So many rebels. The republic, when held together only by the threat of force, flings itself apart.

And in the far west, the two other great empires on the continent are now so close to each other that some conflict would be a result.

We have our own business to worry about. Our own transfers of power must remain peaceful, from one Lonpo to the next;

and the republic is so vast that some local administration is a necessity. That seems to be our distinction between the heavenly republic and the other continental empires; the latter intends to break the nobility and bring all power in the hands of one monarch and their centralized bureaucracy, and the heavenly republic has made a point of maintaining local control and avoiding the power of a single lineage. One Lasya the Holy was perhaps too much for human history to withstand.

Perhaps all history is a contest between center and the periphery.

But now we know that this ravenous expansion is happening everywhere, with kings moving their armies,

as if they were only so many toy soldiers on the game board.

Spies all around on the one hand,

rebels on the other. Still, we are at least holding on...

Rajputana, once one of the great powers of the Sacred Tibetan Empire, continues its long decline. Now the greatest constituents of the empire are the Tamils and the elector-kingdom of Punjab. That said, I doubt the Tamils will ever get elected, but the Punjabis might...

Majahapit has succeeded in carving out territory in the southeast; they are due to appoint a new colonial governor.

The Lonpo's ambitions were not yet satisfied, and he soon declared war on Muon Phuang for the valleys of the Shan hills, as far east as Kengtung.

If there was a point where the heavenly republic would be exhausted, clearly he thought we had not reached it yet.

Our treasury could withstand this if it were a long war,

but it was over too quickly for that to be of any concern.

There is much to be said about the benefits of fierce negotiation.

And further west, the great war between Anatolia and Ethiopia concludes with only minor territorial adjustments. I am sure this will not be the last war.

With this, the old man passed away. His tenure was short, but still consequential.

He would be replaced by Alysanna Rinchen, a strict old bureaucrat who did not tolerate foolishness.

He was so strict and commanding, in fact, that the court soon chafed under his rule, wondering if he held too much power.

His refusal to tolerate piracy and theft also made him few friends. This may have led to some conflict...

but he had died in his sleep. I was in my house, not too far from the palace itself, tending the flowers. A messenger, sweaty, out of breath, gave me the news. I was not there when the name was drawn, I was deemed not significant enough to attend. It was very funny, you see - my family name was adopted from the great hero of myth, and my personal name was that of the greatest empress. And yet I was only allowed to watch from the sidelines, saying my name was ridiculous. Very funny, the power of these names.

And yet the slip of paper with my name on it had been chosen through the sacred process of sortition, and I was thus declared to be the eminence of the body of the heavenly republic.

I felt that the sky and earth had changed places and the moon had crashed down on my head.

Sangmu rushed to my residence, before anyone else. He was one of the few who knew where I lived. He asked, modestly. He did not demand, he asked. He asked if I would be kinder than previous generations, he said, for in the depths of his soul he feared that with such attachments and desire, all people who came to power might become tyrants. He gave no policy proscriptions, but only asked that I remember that.

Well, what else is power for? I signed the Edicts of Toleration in my first days of office. History is not made by the self-serving or the complacent alone but through the anger of the discontented.

With this process of reform begun, I would also complete that which had been left undone for centuries - a successful war against Ayutthaya. Muon Phuang would present no threat to us,

and Wu, Ayutthaya's ally, was occupied with its own wars.

Within a few months, Ayutthaya, the great city of the east, has fallen. One of the few powers in the east that could challenge us suffered defeat.

Problems of state are solved through the application of artillery.

They say I seek glory. That is only part of it, but they are not wrong.

Victory on both land and sea. We acquit ourselves well, and we must treat captives according to the law.

with this, Tibet finally, finally, has administration over the Shan Hills, and Ayutthaya has paid us considerable tribute.

There were the usual rites of victory, but I'll skip over those. I made sure to invite some priests from foreign lands and have them in court; and to be sure to have them speak...

But I must be vigilant. The nobility are unhappy. Some of them will always be...

Well, never mind that.

The war is over, it is accomplished.

The future of the heavenly republic is upon us.

THE WORLD: 1700

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Rule Tibet!
Tibet Rules the East!