Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know my latest game had an enemy sett who got ganked at level 3, died, ragequit, and the enemy team still got the 10 minute afk vote.

So IDK your experience but it is not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this system is so moronically stupid
somebody tell riot to steal the abandon system from dota instead

if one person disconnects or AFKs for more than X minutes, they get marked as "abandoned" and lose MMR/LP no matter what, and then the game is marked as "safe to leave" and everyone else can disconnect with no penalty
whereas in league when someone AFKs from minute 0 or even actually disconnects from the game server you still have to wait up to 10 minutes and then vote to surrender

While they’re at it they should steal an actual matchmaking system for unranked. If my friends and I play together as a five stack we get matched up against multiple mastery 7s with a million points or more each. If we play as a three we get two pubbies who int like they’re getting paid a grand per death.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hellioning posted:

I know my latest game had an enemy sett who got ganked at level 3, died, ragequit, and the enemy team still got the 10 minute afk vote.

So IDK your experience but it is not mine.

I think because she came back and actually started playing again eventually. Probably got an important phonecall or something right when the match started :shrug:

Kazinsal posted:

While they’re at it they should steal an actual matchmaking system for unranked. If my friends and I play together as a five stack we get matched up against multiple mastery 7s with a million points or more each. If we play as a three we get two pubbies who int like they’re getting paid a grand per death.

Unranked uses the same elo-based matchmaking as ranked in like 90% of games with unranked modes, including lol afaik.
Mastery says nothing about skill, only playtime. there are tons of mastery-7 players in bronze or silver because they've played the game for hundreds or thousands of hours but never learned or improved the whole time.

There are probably looser thresholds for how "fair" a game has to be when it's matching 5-stack vs 5-stack instead of small groups because there are just fewer 5-stacks in matchmaking.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 21, 2020

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
the trick to fighting people with over a million mastery points is to understand that they have One Trick Disease and dont know how to do anything except trade and ult on that exact champion. just do any vaguely advanced macro manuever and their brain will shut down on the spot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
joke's on you i shut down my brain before the game even starts so this technique won't work on me

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

All mastery 7 means is that they played a bunch of games and got at least five good games against the people they normally play. You can suck as much as you want, as long as you are capable of beating irons occasionally you will get mastery 7.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hellioning posted:

All mastery 7 means is that they played a bunch of games and got at least five good games against the people they normally play. You can suck as much as you want, as long as you are capable of beating irons occasionally you will get mastery 7.

Or in the case of some games I've played: they might be grouped with people that have a much lower mmr than they do.

I feel like I'm total rear end at this game sometimes, but when I group with a couple friends who must have a much lower mmr than me it's incredible how easy the game becomes. It's admittedly a little gratifying to see that while I'm bad, I'm not that bad and stomp the heck out of lanes. I feel bad for my opponents in some of those games though

I can see why people smurf sometimes as a result, but I really don't get the people that make it there entire life

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Stomping is fun, but after a while it feels mean. Like, when someone is worth as much as a cannon minion, I don't want to kill them anymore, I want to win a fair fight

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Stomping is fun, but after a while it feels mean. Like, when someone is worth as much as a cannon minion, I don't want to kill them anymore, I want to win a fair fight

Yeah eventually it just kind of feels like you're bullying the enemy team/opposing laner and it's not really fun any more.

Usually there's at least one person on the enemy team popping off as well and it just becomes a game of carry chicken/rocket tag which gets exhausting as well

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

i talk about this sometimes but there is normals matchmaking but it completely breaks down as soon as you add anyone above platinum level to a game. i have been on numerous occasions in a game where myself and some other plat+ level player team up with silver goons and the one random guy is level 23. or in a diamond stack the enemy team are random diamonds, plus a duo of a challenger guy and his silver friend nathaniel

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah eventually it just kind of feels like you're bullying the enemy team/opposing laner and it's not really fun any more.

Usually there's at least one person on the enemy team popping off as well and it just becomes a game of carry chicken/rocket tag which gets exhausting as well

I don't know about smurfing for fun, but I do understand content creators doing it for money. For example, one of the league personalities I follow gets an average of 20k - 50k for most of his videos - with the exception of a bronze smurfing video he did years ago for a sub goal or w/e. That video gets millions of views and continues to be a big money maker for him, according to a discussion of his youtube money on his stream a while ago.

For whatever reason, watching challengers stomp on bronzes is incredibly popular. I assume it's catharsis of some kind.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

i talk about this sometimes but there is normals matchmaking but it completely breaks down as soon as you add anyone above platinum level to a game. i have been on numerous occasions in a game where myself and some other plat+ level player team up with silver goons and the one random guy is level 23. or in a diamond stack the enemy team are random diamonds, plus a duo of a challenger guy and his silver friend nathaniel

nathaniel really needs to find more friends to play with

I get angry every time our usual stack gets matched against a Master+ player, but we win those more often than not so I feel like I can't be too mad at matchmaking

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think a lot of people are watching those videos are also thinking that watching a video of someone beat low level players would be a good way to learn how to beat people in that division so they can quickly carry themselves out

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How are they worded? Cause I bet a lot of them are just like look at these sick rear end pentas. Like phreak doing spotlights for characters showing his kickin rad new skills against a champion 4 levels below him.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I’m seeing a lot in preseason that bot lane is just insanely snowball now, mythics are so strong that which lane gets their first auto wins and then just wipes the other bot lane repeatedly. As a Shen main this kinda frustrating because sometimes the lane is like 0/8 before I can ulti them. Seems a lot of games now are kinda super determined by this now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jhin is definitely a terror right now.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Jhin is definitely a terror right now.

I just ban him every game, he's too strong and adds so much to his team with pick potential even if he doesn't get fed. If he does get ahead bot lane you just can't approach the wave with how effectively he can layer cc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got to play a game of Jhin with a Zyra support and it was probably the easiest SR game I've ever played.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are two kinds of Jhin games. Ones where he gets a support that has ranged CC in which case he should win fairly handily, or ones where he doesn't in which case he has to actually try for it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man sometimes this game really is frustrating though

Got out of a game where our team's ivern died 3 times to Khazix in his own jungle while we tried to rotate, my bard got hit by every single lux skillshot and fed them 4 kills in the first 10 minutes, then proceeded to attack move up the lane shoving it past the safe point while everyone else pushed every other lane.

So who does the GP who had a good game get mad at? The ADC that is getting blown up by the fed assassin of course for being out of position while moving with 3 people to a wave

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Hellioning posted:

mastery 7 means they were too stupid to stick with mastery 6, the correct colour

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
After a few days of LoL running fine and again start the champ loading screen and LoL instantly crashes and stays at 0%. Just great

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Verviticus posted:

mastery 7 means they were too stupid to stick with mastery 6, the correct colour

if they let you pick mastery emotes I'd absolutely use mastery 4 on drat near every champ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mastery 4 is the most disrespectful mastery flash because it's basically "yo I just styled on you and I'm not even M5".

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

If I'm on a champ with Mastery 4, you better believe I'm spamming the poo poo out of it every time I kill someone

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

njsykora posted:

Mastery 4 is the most disrespectful mastery flash because it's basically "yo I just styled on you and I'm not even M5".

that hollow tink is great as a display of how badly you hosed up a play too

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

For whatever reason, watching challengers stomp on bronzes is incredibly popular. I assume it's catharsis of some kind.

its an honestly incredible grift. challenger players stomp low elo players because they have stronger fundamentals(dont make macro errors, dont drop free gold, dont take bad trades) and therefore can play any wacky poo poo and get kills. then you market it as "secret OP build??" and iron-silver players see this build winning and assume it must be their fault when it doesnt work.

while looking for the secret trick to getting better that doesnt involve actually practicing, they stay hardstuck, and keep searching for the video that will finally give them the edge to escape. so these videos keep coming out and keep getting tons of views. and since the builds in these videos usually suck monkey elbows the players remain unsatisfied

PS: if you are stuck in iron to silver and want to get out, watch your replays and try to figure out where you need to be on the map, and also do last hitting drills. if you stop being in bad places on the map and have good cs you will get into gold

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pick and play Lux, the Lady of Luminosity.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

pog boyfriend posted:

its an honestly incredible grift. challenger players stomp low elo players because they have stronger fundamentals(dont make macro errors, dont drop free gold, dont take bad trades) and therefore can play any wacky poo poo and get kills. then you market it as "secret OP build??" and iron-silver players see this build winning and assume it must be their fault when it doesnt work.

while looking for the secret trick to getting better that doesnt involve actually practicing, they stay hardstuck, and keep searching for the video that will finally give them the edge to escape. so these videos keep coming out and keep getting tons of views. and since the builds in these videos usually suck monkey elbows the players remain unsatisfied

PS: if you are stuck in iron to silver and want to get out, watch your replays and try to figure out where you need to be on the map, and also do last hitting drills. if you stop being in bad places on the map and have good cs you will get into gold

this is why the ideal league of legends youtuber is rossboomsocks, because while his videos essentially boil down to the same formula, instead of being presented as the grift as described above it is simply some d4 player who every single video thinks of the dumbest poo poo he could possibly play and then proceeds to play it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Honestly, learning champions that fit your strengths is so much more important than mashing your face into champions that you think are cool. I wish I could play assassins or ADCs, but I'm just bad at prioritizing targets in big team fights, I like to roam, and have bad positioning for such squishy Champs. When it comes to laning fundamentals, I can play Jinx or LeBlanc with the best of my elo, but when it comes time to do my job in the big 5v5, I may as well be free gold

I could spend a lot of time learning to fix those problems, or I can play Illoai/Cho/Urgot/etc and my weaknesses become an asset to the team

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

heres how you learn to get good at league of legends

step one, dont learn anything about your champ. you can get an idea what your buttons do after you hit them a few times.

step two, what key stones to take. dont have any idea what any of your runes do. knowing what they're doing will only gum up the works with unnecessary information.

step three, dont look up build paths. you know why everyones struggling with the item changes? because they knew what items did and have some kind of expectations they're currently struggling with. by not knowing what items do you're ahead of the curve, you can't be confused by the new ones if you refuse to learn what any items have ever done before or ever will do in the future.

step four, pick a champ who does cool poo poo. dont let anyone tell you whats cool, they dont know poo poo and if they think they know something you can immediately write them off using the jutsus you've mastered in steps one through three of this guide.

step four, duo with someone you can ask questions to in case any of your previous steps have somehow failed (not your fault), ignore them until you succeed and then scream at them about how great you are. if you lose you can still do this.

step five, get really high before you play. this is in a lot of ways the alpha and the omega of steps. it's really a core foundational step that helps you enact all of the other steps, and like rock lees training weights or goku when he went to outer space, it helps you resistance train all of your button pressing skills. which are the only skills that truly matter in this game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

strong bird posted:

pick and play Lux, the Lady of Luminosity.

i refuse to play any champion with an ally-targeted shield
shields are stupid
still not nearly as bad as heals though...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

don't ever throw your W at an ally then, you'll be the same as 90% of random luxes

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i refuse to play any champion with an ally-targeted shield
shields are stupid
still not nearly as bad as heals though...

Good news, it is not an ally target, it is a skillshot, which means your allies will dodge them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Would highly recommend E-max nasus right now. It's super cancer since the dorans ring changes, so you can go double dorans and basically cast your E for free every wave. It's also kinda reliable because if you blind lock nasus, they will nearly certainly pick a hard counterpick to you like teemo or camille or whatever. And E max nasus doesn't give a poo poo about either of them. Only lane I've had trouble with is Renekton since his double dash means he can close the distance he needs to without you just walking away, but even then he can't outright deny you CS which is normally the problem.

Q creeps when you can (particularly cannon minions) and rush Divine sunderer. Once you get that you can just run people down with ulti because divine sunderer proc + Q cd reduction on R + E armour shred means you're hitting people for ungodly damage just with one item. runes are comet-manaflow-transcendence-scorch and then secondaries whatever resolve secondaries you like. E someone level 1 for like 160 dmg, easily.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I wish I could play assassins or ADCs, but I'm just bad at prioritizing targets in big team fights,

the good news is adc absolutely doesnt have to prioritize targets in big team fights. actually, this is a common mistake that bad adcs make and gets them killed in team fights. your damage dealt is a function of time spent auto attacking - this might seem like a trivial thing to say, but its really important to consider the ramifications of this. people say "focus the leblanc" or whatever, but if you are playing something like a vayne, you probably dont actually want to get close to the leblanc to attack. you die doing that. if you die, your time spent auto attacking goes down sharply, and you end up doing less damage in the fight.

the goal of adc in a teamfight is to maximize their damage dealt, and the way you actually do this is by playing safely. be in a position where you are A) not in danger, B) able to retreat to a safe position, and C) able to attack at least one target. in that order. once you get better you learn when you can just go all in and start pressing the attack because killing the enemy removes the threat to your life, but for the most part, just be in a position you can auto attack anything and stop worrying about micro and Just Attack. dont overthink it.

as for assassins you also dont overthink it, too, you see enemy, and press buttons on enemy, and if the enemy lives then you call the game bullshit and afk in the fountain

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

as for assassins you also dont overthink it, too, you see enemy, and press buttons on enemy, and if the enemy lives then you call the game bullshit and afk in the fountain

Don't forget to shriek about jungle diff as well, it's crucial to the assassin playing experience

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

the good news is adc absolutely doesnt have to prioritize targets in big team fights. actually, this is a common mistake that bad adcs make and gets them killed in team fights. your damage dealt is a function of time spent auto attacking - this might seem like a trivial thing to say, but its really important to consider the ramifications of this. people say "focus the leblanc" or whatever, but if you are playing something like a vayne, you probably dont actually want to get close to the leblanc to attack. you die doing that. if you die, your time spent auto attacking goes down sharply, and you end up doing less damage in the fight.

the goal of adc in a teamfight is to maximize their damage dealt, and the way you actually do this is by playing safely. be in a position where you are A) not in danger, B) able to retreat to a safe position, and C) able to attack at least one target. in that order. once you get better you learn when you can just go all in and start pressing the attack because killing the enemy removes the threat to your life, but for the most part, just be in a position you can auto attack anything and stop worrying about micro and Just Attack. dont overthink it.

this is why anyone who bitches at you as an ADC for "focusing the tank" is an idiot fucker and can be safely ignored

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, in most teamfights your best idea as an ADC in a fight is to use your fast attack speed to cut through the tank so the rest of your team can get through to the actual carries. Rushing the backline is all well and good but if the tank is still able to CC everyone the instant they get close it's pointless. You attack the biggest priority target that's in range, if that's an enemy ADC or mage who's positioning like an idiot then awesome but most of the time it's going to be a tank or bruiser.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Don't forget to shriek about jungle diff as well, it's crucial to the assassin playing experience
I had an autofilled jungle game recently where our Zed kept getting solo'd mid by a Katarina and started whining about jungle diff. Then I started 1v1ing the Katarina because I was Olaf with a Goredrinker and therefore virtually unkillable and he got much quieter. It was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah if maokai is pinning your entire team down for an entire fight and peeling their backline by doing so you need to kill him asap so you team can collpse onto them. ABout the only ADC who can't do this is Jhin because his attack speed means he's absolute dogshit against tanks.