Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I've seen people say they do have a dummy account or an account with little to no activity without having it banned. It's probably scattershot. Some slip through and some don't.

Probably true. Just like how supposedly they'll close accounts with fake names but in practice I've seen people get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I thought that's what the dark mod is

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We moved recently and part of that was everyone in my house getting their own little office space. So I got my son a computer of his own and have started playing doom DM duels with him recently, and holy poo poo it’s so much fun.

We had tried this before but he wasn’t into it. Now that he can absolutely stomp me regularly with his incredible kid reflexes, he loves it. I’m enjoying occasionally pulling out a match by a kill or two, in between the regular beat downs where he beats me by a dozen.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the only dark i know is the dark patch for Myth:TFL

Gimmie a new myth game bungie you fucks

where is the retro RTS thread or do i have to make it

E: im gonna battle the DOOM kid

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not a fan of the nuDOOMs but holy poo poo this is bad:

https://twitter.com/MrAgentStrange/status/1340763114791448576?s=20

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Whoever made the decision to scrap that and make Doom 2016 what it was deserves a medal.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It probably wouldn't have been especially bad or good. I suspect just Rage but demons on earth instead of fallout. Doom2016 / Doom Eternal are basically a fusion of those ideas, Doom 3 and Doom 2.

Though, perhaps making an entirely forgettable Doom would be worst of all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sure it wouldn’t have been terrible but god drat I’m glad they went a different direction.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Groovelord Neato posted:

im the mudvayne zombie

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
It's unfinished prototype footage from a game that was barely halfway completed, of loving course it's going to look "bad." :psyduck:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's unfinished prototype footage from a game that was barely halfway completed, of loving course it's going to look "bad." :psyduck:

It’s clear to see the CODish direction the game was going in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I guess it means more if you're aware of Carmack's plan for Doom (it's why the tweeter called it Call of Doom). It's not being viewed in a vacuum.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it?? It barely looks like a game at that point. I'll never understand the bizarre vision for this version of the game people have formed in their heads.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

verbal enema posted:

E: im gonna battle the DOOM kid

Those fucks at 2K are holding onto the rights and refusing to release them, along with Oni, if I remember right. I loving love Myth, and I would love to see a new one.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wouldn't have hated it, but yeah, probably a good thing they scrapped it. Some nice fleshy textures though, and I like how the hellish flesh takes stuff over, those statues looked cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/ComradeBeep/status/1340729218552848385

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Shadow Hog posted:

Isn't this just Realms of the Haunting

Realms is more like Stuart Gordon's Doom.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it?? It barely looks like a game at that point. I'll never understand the bizarre vision for this version of the game people have formed in their heads.

....IIRC there have been interviews with the 2016 team and people who worked on it directly in general that have clearly stated it was very much on rails and COD-inspired? This isn't some strange, random thing people have come up with lol

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You can literally google it and they explain why they changed streams on the project and how the CoD design they were building felt fine but not what people wanted.

You will encounter quotes like this, though

quote:

Another major way Doom 4 would have differentiated from other Doom games was its setting. The Doom reboot, and most games in the series, are set on Mars, but Doom 4 was going to be set on Earth, depicting an invasion by Hell's forces. This doesn't sound like a terrible idea on paper, but it definitely would have been a change of pace for fans, and it's hard to say if they would have been receptive to such a departure from series norms.

I quiver with Doomer "Well actually..." rage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Good soup! posted:

....IIRC there have been interviews with the 2016 team and people who worked on it directly in general that have clearly stated it was very much on rails and COD-inspired? This isn't some strange, random thing people have come up with lol

Yeah I'd figure the retro FPS thread is the place where everyone would be aware of the original "Call of Doom" fourth game. It was fairly notorious before DOOM (2016) was revealed.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 21, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It looks like Doom 2016 ripped CoDoom imps wholesale so something good came out the project.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

It looks like Doom 2016 ripped CoDoom imps wholesale so something good came out the project.
Hugo mentioned in a recent DE commentary stream that the Imp and Hell Knight are both "legacy monsters" that date all the way back to "Doom 4 1.0" (the polite, official term for CoDoom), and as a result they have a big library of animations that's built up over three games, making them pretty dynamic opponents.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Didn’t the idea and some animations for glory kills also start in the Call of Doomy phase?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Didn’t the idea and some animations for glory kills also start in the Call of Doomy phase?
Doom 4 1.0 had a "synced melee" system for dramatic choreographed battles with enemies. They looked cool, but they were slow and kept interrupting the gameplay.

When the project was rebooted and the "push-forward combat" philosophy was instated, they were iterated upon to become the quick-n-punchy fatalities we know today.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Yes, it's on the NOCLIP documentary. There are a bunch of scenes of non-doomguy doing executions against a car and that stuff. They had some good stuff on the Doom 4 project that made into Doom 2016. I'd totally play a Call of Doom properly made, bonus points if we get to see Doomguy at some point blasting through an army of demons while we struggle with a squad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wasn't that chainsaw kill in the beginning of the video carried over into 2016? It looked like it to me.

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 21, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

catlord posted:

Wasn't that chainsaw kill in the beginning of the video carried over into 2016? It looked like it to me.

Yes, the animation is the same or nearly so. The chainsaw, SSG and imp designs/animations are also very close to what 2016 went with, and a lot of the Earth aesthetic in that video was echoed in Eternal.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Extremely cool.

Between this and NewDark it's really neat how much support the community has given to Thief in the last decade.

gently caress THIS IS AMAZING

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Good soup! posted:

I don't ever recall anything like that in any of the interviews. v:shobon:v Well whatever, not like it matters.

Anyway, a few months ago I stumbled across this musician, Sinjin, who is a Half-Life fanatic and injects thematic and audio elements from the series into her music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF9kU5oGuko This song, Quarantine, is straight up sung from Alyx's point of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwKNsHQHRIY Hivemind whips.

https://soundcloud.com/user-393104740/pipedreamer-ver3 This was the end credits for an indie game but even this song has the line "Something sacred steers us" which is a reference to the "All Knowing Vortigaunt" from Half-Life 2, who tells Gordon "something secret steers us both" (refering to the player lol).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good soup! posted:

It’s more that that video is concept footage and probably not actually what the COD-style game looked like. I don’t get a “this is loving TERRIBLE” reaction out of some shots of generic soldiers dudes and a drawing of creepy statues. It’s interesting to see which parts they took into Doom 2016, though.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 21, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Doom 4 1.0 would have probably been plenty enjoyable on it's own merits, even Civvie admitted as much in his Doom 2016 video, but yeah it's definitely a good thing they decided to go back to basics, even if odds are good I'll probably never touch it or Eternal again(cause 2016 honestly has kinda iffy replayability and Eternal isn't much better in that regard once you unlock everything and Ancient Gods just isn't particularly fun to actually play)

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

verbal enema posted:

I would do almost anything for another Myth. gently caress. I’m replaying Myth 2 right now (about halfway through) and it’s so goddamn good. My memory is that Myth 3 is awful... true, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pathos posted:

I would do almost anything for another Myth. gently caress. I’m replaying Myth 2 right now (about halfway through) and it’s so goddamn good. My memory is that Myth 3 is awful... true, right?

You could check out Nordic Warriors for an indie-take on it that actually came out.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174670/Nordic_Warriors/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Heretic, Hexen (plus the expansion) and Hexen II are out on GOG and you can get then all for £1.79. The first two are already DRM-free on Steam and likely functionally identical, hopefully Hexen II has the soundtrack this time around though.

No word on Heretic II or the Hexen II expansion sadly.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Convex posted:

No word on Heretic II or the Hexen II expansion sadly.

I believe Heretic 2 and Portal of Praevus are entirely published by Activision, so they are in a different rights situation than the currently released titles.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Activision has released other games on GOG so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we'll get Heretic II.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pathos posted:

I own 2 and 3, finished 2 but not 3. 3's not awful, but it's got some notable difficulty spikes, it's not quite as good all around, and there's some iffyness on how well it fits in story-wise with the other two. I got a new copy for $0.52 (the shipping was $3!), so if you can find a good deal like that, I'd give it a shot.

Mordja posted:

You could check out Nordic Warriors for an indie-take on it that actually came out.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174670/Nordic_Warriors/

Oh, drat! That's absolutely blatant, I'm digging it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah Myth 3 is ... fine? IIRC. Buggy in spots (especially at release), the 3D-ness loses some of the original sprites' charm, and the lore/story went in some odd directions.

As with many game series where the original game(s) have super hardcore fans that live and breathe them, a sequel coming out as "fine I guess and not what I quite expected" is treated as the end of all things.

I think the development story behind M3 was pretty wild and a bit sad. Some real Myth-lovers from the community "getting the band together" to chase their dream of making a game, and then getting crunched and subjected to some sort of industry hardball. Can't recall the details tho.

e: also too bad that Deadhold didn't make it. Not sure that Nordic Warriors quite grabs me. I think those two Myth-likes (were there others?) were/are really struggling to find the right balance between imitation and innovation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

spongeh posted:

I believe Heretic 2 and Portal of Praevus are entirely published by Activision, so they are in a different rights situation than the currently released titles.

heretic 2 and its expansion, Reince of Priebus

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Alright, I’m going to give Myth 3 a shot at some point. I think(?) I played it when it came out, but I really don’t remember. And I might give this new ones a look, too, but a significant portion of my love of Myth is due to the writing and I have a feeling that’ll be lacking in these little indie games. Who knows, though!

Also someone really should make an Early RTS thread. I would but ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pathos posted:

Alright, I’m going to give Myth 3 a shot at some point. I think(?) I played it when it came out, but I really don’t remember. And I might give this new ones a look, too, but a significant portion of my love of Myth is due to the writing and I have a feeling that’ll be lacking in these little indie games. Who knows, though!

Also someone really should make an Early RTS thread. I would but ...

myth 3 is something idk 1&2 are just so loving classic just like AoE and AoK