Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the US will give a roll out of $600 checks for COVID again from the government...as if it'll help the big gaps of nothing they've left behind after the first one was supposed to "fix" things.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...c56m-story.html

$600 isn't enough just like $1200 wasn't enough last time. They probably wont' give anything else out now that there's a vaccine either and will just expect the country to pull itself up by its bootstraps or whatever people like to say.

My mother lost her job over this, all of us are susceptible to COVID, and my SO lost his job too. I'm more than pissed about it..

Trump wanted to give out more than $600, probably to make himself look good as a last stand effort. At least people say he did on his Twitter...I try not to go to his Twitter.

gently caress yeah! I can buy a PS5!

Rent? That's not even 2/3rds of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I’m losing 100 bucks a month next year because I increased my health insurance because lol not catching COVID in Florida so at least half a year of compensation I guess :toot:

gently caress everything :negative:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this why countries like Korea no longer have problems with the virus? Due to cultural differences from America?

Blistex posted:

One difference is that when Korea had a big super-spreading church giving people Covid they came down on them hard and handed out massive fines and jail time. As opposed to the US where they gave them millions of dollars and let the reopen ASAP.

The Korean government actually wanted to eradicate the virus, they listened to their health experts, followed their directions, and the vast, vast majority of the people listened and followed those directions. People in Korea are more likely to listen to doctors, scientists, and their elected officials when it's obvious that they're looking out for the nation's best interests. Also, and most importantly, their government wasn't intentionally trying to turn the pandemic into a political weapon or a multi-trillion dollar grift.

South Korea came super close to totally locking down the virus but could never quite seal the deal, even during late April/early May they were still getting a steady trickle of a half dozen new cases and 1 or 2 deaths nearly every day. They're currently having a big outbreak (if you can even call 1000 cases and a dozen deaths a day 'big'):

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

It must have been incredibly exasperating to get so close and have it get away from them again like that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For a similar situation, remember how Australia is totally freaking out about their new outbreak and closing state borders and enacting a whole bunch of new restrictions and putting a whole bunch of people in lockdown quarantine over Christmas? Here's what that looks like:

If your government understands anything about viral spread and exponential growth then this point is exactly where they should be leaping into action

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For a similar situation, remember how Australia is totally freaking out about their new outbreak and closing state borders and enacting a whole bunch of new restrictions and putting a whole bunch of people in lockdown quarantine over Christmas? Here's what that looks like:

If your government understands anything about viral spread and exponential growth then this point is exactly where they should be leaping into action

Most of ours doesn't, and the ones who do don't care. So....4k deaths/day by mid-January?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Omg

Well as far as I know Australia does some stuff wrong and has animals from hell so congratulations for genuinely doing something right and wow is that a hell of a graph what a post

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A lot of countries got to zero cases and realized that they would starve if they kept their borders closed, even though they knew that the virus was raging in other countries. Look at Croatia for example: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/croatia/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

compshateme85 posted:

So....4k deaths/day by mid-January?

The US has an excellent shot at having a 4k death day as early as next week

The hospital situation is real bad
https://twitter.com/PeterVroom1/status/1340536535133933569

E: The UK is also loving up really badly. They just had a pissweak 4 week lockdown under a promise of "getting back to normal" for Christmas and the spread has come roaring back with a vengeance when they eased off on the restrictions two weeks ago. They just posted their highest daily infections number ever

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

You'd usually expect a lag of at least a week or two between restrictions being altered and a subsequent change in the reported number of infections so the results we're seeing in this graph are a bit suss. The "lockdown" had already stopped working by December 2.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 21, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It's so god damned aggravating. Imagine firefighters turning the hoses once the flames go down a bit. 'Ah. We can clearly see the fire is on the way down. May as well stop.'

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The other key thing people outside Australia may not realise is that second wave in the middle of the year was basically entirely localised to Melbourne. Life in the rest of the country has been pretty much back to normal since May, minus state border closures that only just started easing over the past few months (and have now gone right back up because of the Sydney cluster).

Spinz posted:

animals from hell

I don't know why Americans say this all the time. You guys have bears and cougars and wolves and alligators. I felt less safe camping in the US than in Australia!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

freebooter posted:

I don't know why Americans say this all the time. You guys have bears and cougars and wolves and alligators. I felt less safe camping in the US than in Australia!

Yeah but those are widely spread out. Lots of states have low or no populace of those, especially gators. We have gators in Colorado though, there's a gator preserve in the San Luis Valley some 7500 feet above sea level.

Also we have guns. I don't camp without my revolver.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yes, we have some alligators, which are like small, rounded cuddly crocodiles. Y'all have crocodiles.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah but those are widely spread out. Lots of states have low or no populace of those, especially gators.

I think australia is really big and empty too.

Spinz posted:

genuinely doing something right

If a first world country that's mostly rocks with entirely maritime borders can't contain it why bother tbh.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The US has an excellent shot at having a 4k death day as early as next week

The hospital situation is real bad
https://twitter.com/PeterVroom1/status/1340536535133933569

E: The UK is also loving up really badly. They just had a pissweak 4 week lockdown under a promise of "getting back to normal" for Christmas and the spread has come roaring back with a vengeance when they eased off on the restrictions two weeks ago. They just posted their highest daily infections number ever

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

You'd usually expect a lag of at least a week or two between restrictions being altered and a subsequent change in the reported number of infections so the results we're seeing in this graph are a bit suss. The "lockdown" had already stopped working by December 2.

The latest spike in the UK may well be because we have a new and improved version of covid.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not only, I read somewhere they say the new strain could be up to 70% more transmissible but relaxing of measures is definitely a factor. Plus winter. In Germany we did "lockdown light" in November i.e. only restaurants, bars, gyms etc. closed and that didn't help much as numbers shot up anyway without a new strain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Collateral posted:

The latest spike in the UK may well be because we have a new and improved version of covid.

It's already been detected in several returned travelers here in Australia.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-21/uk-new-covid-strain-detected-in-australian-returned-travellers/13002382

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's so god damned aggravating. Imagine firefighters turning the hoses once the flames go down a bit. 'Ah. We can clearly see the fire is on the way down. May as well stop.'

The UK government is corrupt as hell and our PM is a puppet. Every decision is delayed by weeks, even months, from when it should be made because everything is about pleasing rich people. They seem to be panicking between keeping the country open to fuel the economy and OH GOD everyone is gonna die so they won't be able to spend.

it's a weird situation where we flip flop between restrictions, lockdowns and warnings and everyone suffers and nothing is achieved.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Blistex posted:

$600 was a lot of money for a family with expenses in the early 1970s. Now it can pay 1/2 a month's rent in a very slummy building in a very slummy area.

Considering most of our leaders are septuagenarians and octogenarians, whose brains lost all plasticity in the 70's, the $600 bucks must still seem like a good deal for the American people.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Yes, we have some alligators, which are like small, rounded cuddly crocodiles. Y'all have crocodiles.

South Florida has crocodiles, too. :v:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the US will give a roll out of $600 checks for COVID again from the government...as if it'll help the big gaps of nothing they've left behind after the first one was supposed to "fix" things.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...c56m-story.html

$600 isn't enough just like $1200 wasn't enough last time. They probably wont' give anything else out now that there's a vaccine either and will just expect the country to pull itself up by its bootstraps or whatever people like to say.

My mother lost her job over this, all of us are susceptible to COVID, and my SO lost his job too. I'm more than pissed about it..

Trump wanted to give out more than $600, probably to make himself look good as a last stand effort. At least people say he did on his Twitter...I try not to go to his Twitter.

I'd be surprised if he didn't, honestly. He's been pretty loud about stim checks when his brain fires on long enough to think about things and he's been pretty much in their favor a lot.

My trumpist mother says we should be grateful for $600 and "it's better than nothing" as I vomit in disgust. Americans are worth $1800 each according to our own government, as hundreds of thousands of us die because there is no sensible way to survive this loving country.

Blistex posted:

$600 was a lot of money for a family with expenses in the early 1970s. Now it can pay 1/2 a month's rent in a very slummy building in a very slummy area.

I live on a small farm in extremely rural GA. My mortgage is $800 a month. If my husband and I were relying solely on the stim checks, we'd get 1.5 months of mortgage out of it and we live 15 minutes away from a stoplight. I can't even fathom trying to pay a city rent on that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

$600 one time, plus $300 a week extra for unemployment. And that's above and beyond what most Republicans wanted. As somebody who was unemployed back in 2010 for 5 months - this is barely enough to keep your head above water, and that's with digging into your own savings and praying you don't have any kind of major expense come up.

The GOP is full of ghouls who'd be happy to see us all die on the street if it meant they could keep a few extra cents in their own pocket.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
who needs the death penalty when you can just kill thousands of helpless people with absolutely no choice about their fate by simply doing nothing

imagine literally being forced by your own government to either get covid or be murdered in a different way

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1340110538118983680

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 21, 2020

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You would think they would want to protect their monetised commodities.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Collateral posted:

You would think they would want to protect their monetised commodities.

Gotta make room for the inevitable looters and rioters, and people who smoked a joint one time 15 years ago.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
crosspost from the germany thread:

no idea if any real conclusions can be drawn from this, but here's DAX + Cases + Deaths:

you can definitely tell when the lockdowns were, and how much/little they did ... and from that you can also tell that any comments like "lockdowns don't do anything" are just plain wrong if deduced from the november "lockdown"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

Desperate goons living in near the border, try to check on Mexican private hospitals before you come rushing down here.

Supposedly the vaccine won't be sold and will be free for every Mexican citizen, aka the government will buy all the vaccines with the emergency money they had, no private hospital will get their hands on it for profit. The military already did a vaccination drill the other day, they will be the ones guarding the vaccines and helping out the health department with the distribution and vaccination.

It will be applied first to health workers, February-April all the old as gently caress people and people with serious illness, April-May everyone in their 50's, May-June everyone in their 40's, the rest of the year everyone else but children and pregnant women.

What about the doses sold on the private market to private hospitals

Just because the government is providing the vaccine for free to the public doesn't mean, short of a law explicitly banning paying money for the vaccine, that medical centers can't order the vaccine (or already have done so) and import it directly and then sell the service. The government provides free police services but you can still hire private security etc, bad example

If you can get a boob job or nose job in Mexico, what's to stop that same provider from ordering covid vaccines

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hadlock posted:

What about the doses sold on the private market to private hospitals

Just because the government is providing the vaccine for free to the public doesn't mean, short of a law explicitly banning paying money for the vaccine, that medical centers can't order the vaccine (or already have done so) and import it directly and then sell the service. The government provides free police services but you can still hire private security etc, bad example

If you can get a boob job or nose job in Mexico, what's to stop that same provider from ordering covid vaccines

I said "supposedly".

:shrug: I also said you all should check on a private hospital and see if they can provide you with a vaccine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

hemale in pain posted:

The UK government is corrupt as hell and our PM is a puppet. Every decision is delayed by weeks, even months, from when it should be made because everything is about pleasing rich people. They seem to be panicking between keeping the country open to fuel the economy and OH GOD everyone is gonna die so they won't be able to spend.

it's a weird situation where we flip flop between restrictions, lockdowns and warnings and everyone suffers and nothing is achieved.

Did you guys loving Brexit yet? Like you've been on the roadmap for that since before Trump was elected.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

I said "supposedly".

:shrug: I also said you all should check on a private hospital and see if they can provide you with a vaccine.

Good news, there is just 8 short of 3,000 private hospitals in Mexico

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Bad news, guys:

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
So Im hearing about this new strain of the virus in the UK that is more contagious. What I don't understand is *how* it's more contagious. Like does it make someone shed more of the virus? Or is there something to the viruses physical makeup that makes it linger in the air longer?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you guys loving Brexit yet? Like you've been on the roadmap for that since before Trump was elected.

Secession from the largest trading bloc on the planet isn't something that can be done overnight. There are many complex agreements the UK has to remove itself from, while still maintaining strong relationships with its major trading partners.

It's a fine line that has to be walked, between becoming the glorious independent nation of Boristan and screaming "We're not owned, we're not owned" as they continue to slowly shrink and transform into a blood sausage.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

FiskTireBoy posted:

So Im hearing about this new strain of the virus in the UK that is more contagious. What I don't understand is *how* it's more contagious. Like does it make someone shed more of the virus? Or is there something to the viruses physical makeup that makes it linger in the air longer?

I'm not sure if it's been narrowed down how just yet, just that it's responsible for disproportionately more infections than there would be if it was as transmissible as covid classic.
(ie, despite being new, and having few cases, it's spreading way faster per person than covid otherwise.)

It can be any of those factors, but it can also be that it's far far better at reproducing in people it comes into contact with, where more of them are viable and start reproducing.
Norovirus for example often gets the factoid that 'you only need to get like 3 norovirus viruses in your system for it to be able to take hold'.
The amount of viral load you need to get blasted with for there to be a significant chance of contagion is very variable.

It can also mean that more of them stay viable for longer, more shedding, etc etc etc. Might induce more symptoms that just haven't been mapped just yet (like more coughing than normal covid, etc.)

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
I don't think anyone really knows yet.

A lot of the information around it at the moment is of the 'there is no evidence masks are effective outside clinical settings' type so give it a few weeks for people to look into it and we'll know exactly how hosed we are.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The spike protein has greater affinity with the ace2 receptors. Also something to do with potential antibody dodging.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

FiskTireBoy posted:

There was some Dr on the radio yesterday saying that viral shedding is much higher with this strain so any virus plumes infected people are creating have a lot more virus to potentially infect someone else.

The interesting thing is the amount of virus you are exposed to is/was (I’m not sure of the current state of research on this) thought to determine to some extent the severity of the illness you suffer.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Collateral posted:

The spike protein has greater affinity with the ace2 receptors. Also something to do with potential antibody dodging.

Pretty much this.
Think of it as not stronger, but more sticky.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember this strategy from the early versions of pandemic, the game that plague inc is based on. Gain a foothold in all countries with a low lethality, low spread version of the virus, then massively increase rate of spread and ways of transmission, and only turn lethality up to max when you have over a critical mass of the population.

Goddamned Madagascar would cockblock you and quarantine if you went too loud, too quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought I was clever when I just started in Madagascar, and that run wound up going to poo poo because I never managed to spread to the US, who closed all their borders before I'd even made it to Europe.

Very unrealistic game, pretending that anti-vaxxers and their ilk won't do their darndest to ruin any anti-plague measures.