Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
In what's fast becoming a regular trend, I came up with another radical change to the game (or more realistically a funky alternative format to mess around with): you can't summon monsters with a level higher than the current turn count, including special summoning. this increments on both player's turns.

the main reason i like this - outside the obvious 'make the game less decided by the first turn' - is that it makes the decision to go first or second way more interesting when going second means being able to summon level 2 or 4 monsters first while the player going first can only use level 1 or 3 monsters on their first and second turns respectively. (optional bonus change: let players normal summon level 5+ normal monsters without a tribute, so with no cards remaining on the field you can summon dark magician and attack for game.)

the main problems i see are the following:

- above a certain point, boss monster's levels are just decorative, and this makes some of them way worse than others for no good reason. ultimate conductor tyranno being level 10 and some random GX-era boss monster being level 12 makes no sense in this system.
- if it doesn't apply to extra deck monsters, decks that start with a level 1/2 play and chain through their extra deck like infernobles, dragon link or prank-kids aren't really affected by this change. even if it does, synchro and xyz decks get way worse and link monsters continue to be even more categorically better than every other extra deck type, unless you add further specific restrictions on links (you always need a link-1 monster as a material to make a link-2, and so on up the link rating? link monsters need to point to a monster that isn't being used as link material to be summoned?).
- ruling nightmares around whether this rule supercedes effects that ignore summoning conditions or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

people would just stop running monsters with even-numbered levels since a lv2 monster is dead turn 1 but a lv1 monster is live on turns 1 and 2

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Gotta wait 10 turns to play trains? Choo choo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Charles Bukowski posted:

Gotta wait 10 turns to play trains? Choo choo.

This is the real problem. It absolutely blows out a number of old decks like Trains and Ancient Gear for no reason to maybe stop the top decks. When there will always be top decks and they will always be boring garbage because of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I wonder how well a Cube style format would work for this?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also saw that Dueling Nexus has Rush Duel support so I thought I'd maybe build a deck and give the format a try but I can't find ANY reliable info on the cards for it to even get started on that kind of thing, well besides various fan wikis and card databases that are so horribly made that they are completely unusable(seriously it's kinda amazing how despite being one of the most popular card games in the world this game's internet presence is a tire fire in terms of usability)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://ygorganization.com/new-digital-title-announced/

An official simulator, probably? That said, I just realized that they probably wouldn't go through the effort of making it work for the TCG, given the different banlists and card pools between the two formats.

E: I guess it could be another console game. That would be kinda lame, but I'd still probably pick it up.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 19, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm guessing another video game, yeah. Maybe this one will have some actual charm and effort put into it and Duel Links will stop being the best Yu-Gi-Oh game since GX Duel Academy.

Seriously, would it kill them to get some VAs? I know Dan Green's kind of a big deal now, but they could at least afford knockoffs.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 19, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm guessing another video game, yeah. Maybe this one will have some actual charm and effort put into it and Duel Links will stop being the best Yu-Gi-Oh game since GX Duel Academy.

Seriously, would it kill them to get some VAs? I know Dan Green's kind of a big deal now, but they could at least afford knockoffs.

I like Link Evolution, but it's undeniably a low effort cash in, yeah. One thing that's interesting is they're working on a Master Duel style game in the Sevens era. Assuming it's a video game and not a simulator, do you think they're going to come up with a new story, or just pretend Sevens doesn't exist?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

or just pretend Sevens doesn't exist?
Definitely this, if it's another nostalgia grab. (Which, let's be real, they usually are.)

The alternative is that it is a Rush Duels/Sevens game, which would actually be pretty cool.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I like Link Evolution, but it's undeniably a low effort cash in, yeah. One thing that's interesting is they're working on a Master Duel style game in the Sevens era. Assuming it's a video game and not a simulator, do you think they're going to come up with a new story, or just pretend Sevens doesn't exist?

Link Evolution's only real flaw is how overly cheap and aggresive the AI is, like I've talked before about how unnecessarily mean it is

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

Definitely this, if it's another nostalgia grab. (Which, let's be real, they usually are.)

The alternative is that it is a Rush Duels/Sevens game, which would actually be pretty cool.

Sevens never uses the phrase Master Duel, so I think it's unlikely to be a Rush Duel game.

They have done original stories in these before, but given recent history I definitely agree that it's more likely to be a nostalgia grab.

drrockso20 posted:

Link Evolution's only real flaw is how overly cheap and aggresive the AI is, like I've talked before about how unnecessarily mean it is
Well, that and the poor performance/frequent crashes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I disagree. The lack of voice acting and horrendously :effort: cut-in animations would be pretty standard and unsurprising for Konami... except Duel Links exists, and continues to prove that they absolutely can make it work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZK9EY5FzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAJxCP0SNTU

Reminder: This is a free-to-play phone game.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 19, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

It'll be DM Nostalgia game number 85.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
they should do something as wild as The War of the Roses, But With Card Games again

PMush Perfect posted:

Reminder: This is a free-to-play phone game.

i wish they'd done more with the presentation of Link Evolution, but Duel Links probably makes more from whales each year than the console game will in its lifetime so it's obvious why one gets more effort than the other

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Homora Gaykemi posted:

they should do something as wild as The War of the Roses, But With Card Games again

i wish they'd done more with the presentation of Link Evolution, but Duel Links probably makes more from whales each year than the console game will in its lifetime so it's obvious why one gets more effort than the other
The whales don’t care about presentation, though. They care about having The Best Cards, most of which don’t have animations. I don’t think people would be buying fewer selection boxes if The Legendary Fisherman and Divine Neos didn’t get cutscenes.

Hard agree on wanting more fun weird stuff, though. Falsebound Kingdom was basically Ogre Battle with Duel Monsters and I loved that game.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the next yu-gi-oh game should be set in-universe and you duel through a bunch of self-contained stories from the perspective of the dogmatika / eldlich / sky strikers / skyfang brigade / world legacy crew, imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ungulateman posted:

the next yu-gi-oh game should be set in-universe and you duel through a bunch of self-contained stories from the perspective of the dogmatika / eldlich / sky strikers / skyfang brigade / world legacy crew, imo
Duel Terminal game!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only thing I want from Legacy of the Duelist (aside from it being updated with new cards already) is for it to have more of the dumb one-off duels against weird gimmick duelists who basically don't matter. The only one that's really there is PaniK and his Dark Castle of Illusions, and that's not enough. I wanna fight Mako Tsunami's dumb fish, Espa Roba's Jinzo, or the Three-Time Video Game Champion's B.E.S. deck.

Honestly, the duels they cut really make a lot of stories weird as hell. Joey suddenly gets a bunch of weird ace monsters out of nowhere in Battle City because none of the duels he won are in the game, and the Society of Light come off more like a random villain of the week than an actual arc-long threat.

EDIT: I would kill for a Duel Terminal game, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The likely explanation for the dichotomy is probably that the higher ups at Konami still see themselves as a slot machine company and basically give the Duel Links devs carte blanche and all the money they want, so we get passion project stuff like unique animations for every character’s signature monsters.

Meanwhile, they see Legacy of the Duelist et al. as one-and-done whatevers that are considered successful if they make a mild profit and that’s all they need to be.

I’m not frustrated at the game devs, I’m frustrated at KoMoney for having the same obvious, shallow priorities they’ve had for years now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

The likely explanation for the dichotomy is probably that the higher ups at Konami still see themselves as a slot machine company and basically give the Duel Links devs carte blanche and all the money they want, so we get passion project stuff like unique animations for every character’s signature monsters.

Meanwhile, they see Legacy of the Duelist et al. as one-and-done whatevers that are considered successful if they make a mild profit and that’s all they need to be.

I’m not frustrated at the game devs, I’m frustrated at KoMoney for having the same obvious, shallow priorities they’ve had for years now.

I mean, it's also that literally they started with signature animations so they have to keep putting them in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, it's also that literally they started with signature animations so they have to keep putting them in.
I don’t think they “have” to do anything. They could just stop. People would complain, but they’d keep buying cards anyways. It’s in our DNA as YGO players. Griping about how much the game sucks while we pull out our wallets again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

https://ygorganization.com/new-digital-title-announced/

An official simulator, probably? That said, I just realized that they probably wouldn't go through the effort of making it work for the TCG, given the different banlists and card pools between the two formats.

E: I guess it could be another console game. That would be kinda lame, but I'd still probably pick it up.

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_RUSHDUEL/status/1340536156081950722

Yup! Rush Duel game for the Switch!

Edit: According to my friend's message on Telegram:

"Get your decks ready: an all new YuGiOh game has been announced for Nintendo Switch!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel is a card game introduced in Japan alongside the Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS anime. Players can Normal Summon any number of monsters from their hand in one turn, as well as draw until at least five cards are in their hand. In the Switch game, players will be able to battle against the characters that appear in the Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS anime."

Further information will be announced at a later date.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 20, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_RUSHDUEL/status/1340536156081950722

Yup! Rush Duel game for the Switch!

Edit: According to my friend's message on Telegram:

"Get your decks ready: an all new YuGiOh game has been announced for Nintendo Switch!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel is a card game introduced in Japan alongside the Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS anime. Players can Normal Summon any number of monsters from their hand in one turn, as well as draw until at least five cards are in their hand. In the Switch game, players will be able to battle against the characters that appear in the Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS anime."

Further information will be announced at a later date.

Hahahah, incredible.

E: Come to think of it, if that's the same thing as the post from the other day, A) why bother announcing a "Master Duel Digital Title" a day in advance of the announcement?, and B) wouldn't this be the first time they've used Master Duel to refer to rush duels?

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 20, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Welp, I'm doubleposting, just found out this article exists.
https://beyondtheduel.com/new-digital-title-master-duel-announced/

This actually has slightly more information on the new "digital title" that I posted about before. While YGOrganization basically only had that it's a new title, this article says:

quote:

During the stream, the new title was described as being similar to Duel Links as a digital title, except that while Duel Links uses Speed Duel rules, this title will be using the Master Rules!

That actually points at it probably being an official online simulator, which is exciting as hell.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
But Edopro exists already and is free and has all the cards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Look to it getting a C&D if Konami is putting out their own.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The best ygo games by a mile are Reverse of Arcadia and Over the Nexus on the DS. Besides being at a fun point in terms of what cards were released they hit that perfect sweet spot where you unlock cards fast enough and cheap enough over the campaign that you never feel held back by bad cards, but not so fast you don’t get to use old cards or immediately get some super meta deck that steamrolls the game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Some Goon posted:

Look to it getting a C&D if Konami is putting out their own.

It already did, it didn't stick.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

It already did, it didn't stick.

I could see them putting a bit more pressure on when they're trying to launch their own.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They can't even stop the pedophiles from moving to new Discord servers, I don't think they're gonna manage to stop small-time pirates.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

They can't even stop the pedophiles from moving to new Discord servers, I don't think they're gonna manage to stop small-time pirates.

To be fair, I also think the motivation for maintaining unofficial simulators will also largely go away with an official one around.

Of course, that also runs on the assumption that the official simulator is any good, which given Konami's history is not a guarantee.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Knowing Konami, it might well be another free-to-play game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

King of Solomon posted:

To be fair, I also think the motivation for maintaining unofficial simulators will also largely go away with an official one around.

Of course, that also runs on the assumption that the official simulator is any good, which given Konami's history is not a guarantee.

I think Legacy of the Duelist (and Duel Links, honestly) shows that if Konami wanted to make a simulator, it would be a good simulator in terms of 'plays the game comfortably and well' (which is the main thing I can really say about the unofficial simulators, anyway). The main things in question are ongoing support and a solid experience outside of the actual dueling in regards to single-player content or good ways to get cards, which they're inconsistent about.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I think Legacy of the Duelist (and Duel Links, honestly) shows that if Konami wanted to make a simulator, it would be a good simulator in terms of 'plays the game comfortably and well' (which is the main thing I can really say about the unofficial simulators, anyway). The main things in question are ongoing support and a solid experience outside of the actual dueling in regards to single-player content or good ways to get cards, which they're inconsistent about.

Look, I had a great time with Legacy of the Duelist, but it had two major issues outside of ongoing support (granted, this is the Switch version.) First off, the game crashed constantly, especially after the DUOV patch, and that's a problem. The other issue, which would be an issue even if the game was stable, is that it was extremely slow. From my experience playing Link Evo and seeing how EDOPro performs, Link Evo is an order of magnitude slower, and I don't think many players will tolerate that.

But that being said, Duel Links doesn't have either of those problems. It's reasonably speedy and it's stable. So if Konami put in the effort, I agree they could make an official simulator that's good enough to get people to migrate off the unofficial ones. I agree that the official simulator needs to have ongoing support and a good way to get cards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I never had any crash issues with the Switch version of Legacy of the Duelist, but I admit I was only ever playing its campaign, so I also can't attest to any crashing or slowness on the online side of things (although having played other simulators, I know that online YGO has long periods of nothing where you assume things have gone wrong anyway). I did notice that the AI was kinda confusingly slow on its turns, though; I can't imagine it was doing a whole lot. It never really bothered me, though, since I'm used to card games being fairly slow and patient affairs.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 21, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I never had any crash issues with the Switch version of Legacy of the Duelist, but I admit I was only ever playing its campaign, so I also can't attest to any crashing or slowness on the online side of things (although having played other simulators, I know that online YGO has long periods of nothing where you assume things have gone wrong anyway). I did notice that the AI was kinda confusingly slow on its turns, though; I can't imagine it was doing a whole lot. It never really bothered me, though, since I'm used to card games being fairly slow and patient affairs.

It crashed a LOT for me, but it might just be that I was using custom decks, I dunno. I mostly did the campaign and challenge duels, and it was just very frequent crashing. As for the speed issue, I'm mostly talking about how long any given action takes. Like, if you have several monsters on field, the battle phase will take a minute or so even without a response from your opponent, because you have to declare an attack, wait for the animation to conclude, wait for the resolution of battle to go through, then repeat until it's over. Just a lot of really minor things that are really unnecessarily slow. Again, as far as I can tell, that's mostly not an issue in Duel Links.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Duel Evolution switch crashes a shitload if the switch is connected to the internet, and pretty rarely if the system is offline

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Straight up the only way to push EDO-Pro out of people's consciousness would be to make every card free on the official simulator as well, or to be like MTG Arena and being incredibly high quality. Neither of which is likely to happen under Konami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Straight up the only way to push EDO-Pro out of people's consciousness would be to make every card free on the official simulator as well, or to be like MTG Arena and being incredibly high quality. Neither of which is likely to happen under Konami.

Actually, I'd probably be more inclined to use an official simulator that does have some level of imposed scarcity or difficulty in obtaining cards. I think a problem with using stuff like EDO-Pro is that it does away with the supposition that you needed to get the cards you're using, so a playset of Alpha the Master of Beasts (as a random example) is exactly as easy to get together as some random piece of pack fodder.

Sure, that's great for a lot of people who want to play a crazy ultra-optimal meta deck without any sort of financial concern, but I think there's a lot of value in the notion that a lot of decks are built by people who have to make do without the perfect combo, and so are running budget decks or unorthodox 'maybe this'll work' strategies. A no-limits simulator just means every duel is either two people beating each other's faces in with perfect combos, or someone with a perfect combo stomping on someone who just decided to try making a reflection of their real-world deck.

Sure, if you impose microtransaction-based limitations or 'you can only get these cards through an in-game system' there's still going to be people who end up building the perfect deck. But the fact there was some hurdles in the way means they'll be much fewer.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 21, 2020