Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can we rename this back to the microsoft thread it is confusing for my small and bad brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

can we rename this back to the microsoft thread it is confusing for my small and bad brain

I wanna ask someone in the scifi thread for some book recommendations but I have no idea what thread it is

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol i also lost it for a while, it's "it is by will alone i set my posts in motion"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i thought that was just a general movie and media appreciation thread. lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

my stepdads beer posted:

the trick is to not read the Linux thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but doctor, this is the linux thread

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
let’s get back on track and keep it to serious XENIX discussion, please.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Laslow posted:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Laslow posted:

i used to have a boxed copy of SCO XENIX. i forget how i got it and i have no idea where it went

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

That's basically right, yeah. Arm Ltd. is a design shop that sells the schematics/fab instructions for ARM CPUs of various sizes and flavors. But they don't actually build and sell chips, only designs (and software). Chip vendors license the designs and customize them to include some vendor-specific stuff.

So lots of companies make ARM chips, and they all speak the same instruction set as other chips based on the same design (cortex-m0, aarch64, etc). But they generally are all patterned off of Arm's reference designs.

The assembly instructions are what define a CPU as an ARM basically - but companies need to buy the designs if they want to use the ARM trademark or Arm-provided compiler toolchains. But hypothetically, you could design an EchiCPU that ran the same assembly and produced the same result, and it would be an ARM except with a different name.

There are a ton of flavors of CPU that Arm Ltd. designs and licenses, from little microcontrollers for toys to 64-bit server CPUs. So Arm isn't one single instruction set - it's more like 4 or 5 instruction-sets with some commonality.

To expand on this, you can also licence the instruction set but make your own implementation from scratch instead of licensing ARM's actual implementation. This is what Apple does. Their poo poo is their own design.

As for making your own offbrand ARM cpu without licensing it - that's what patent law is for.

ALSO also its more like 3 different ISAs. Try running classic ARM on a Cortex-M that only runs Thumb and see where it gers you.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 21, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool thanks that answers my questions :)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

As for making your own offbrand ARM cpu without licensing it - that's what patent law is for.

it's actually unclear whether you can protect an instruction set as ip; afaik it's never been tested, at least in a case that went to trial. it would be very hard to get a defensible patent on an entire instruction set because there's nothing novel in most of it, and patent law specifically does not protect things necessary for interoperation. you might be able to patent specific novel instructions, or specific ideas in isa design like some vliw wonkiness. an instruction set probably would not be copyrightable because (1) it's an idea rather than a specific production of that idea and (2) unlike the oracle v. google situation, judges aren't likely to be confused into thinking that a textual description is the "thing"

feedmegin posted:

ALSO also its more like 3 different ISAs. Try running classic ARM on a Cortex-M that only runs Thumb and see where it gers you.

i didn't realize there were cores where the old arm instruction set wasn't available at all, i guess you can get away with that with thumb-2

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i don’t disagree about the improbability of defending an entire isa patent but i suspect arm has enough patents on subcomponents that it’d be nearly impossible to implement without infringement

there is a pc era anecdote about ibm coming after somebody for something very minor (on the order of a blinking cursor)

plucky startup spends a week investigating and has a follow up meeting where they prove they don’t infringe and even if we do here’s a non infringing implementation

ibm says ok; here’s a dozen more and we’ve got a library of these and the lawyers to keep doing this forever

ofc if you’re a national champion with a relaxed approach to ip you might have better luck telling western companies to gently caress off

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

i don’t disagree about the improbability of defending an entire isa patent but i suspect arm has enough patents on subcomponents that it’d be nearly impossible to implement without infringement

Yeah it's this. Original ARM is probably old enough those patents are expired but then you're trying to sell your core that can't do Neon, Thumb or Aarch64 and ARM carefully keep their royalties low enough that selling your crippled chip for a couple of cents cheaper isn't interesting to any customers.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 23, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lengthy Electronics Gimmick

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Yeah it's this. Original ARM is probably old enough those patents are expired but then you're trying to sell your core that can't do Neon, Thumb or Aarch64 and ARM carefully keep their royalties low enough that selling your crippled chip for a couple of cents cheaper isn't interesting to any customers.

not going to janitor my bits.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thread title is funny but confusing, change to like Linux 365 for Business idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

9/11 for Workgroups

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so how is that $1400 microsoft android phone doing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

9/11 for Workgroups

haha

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

9/11 for Workgroups

:drat:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

9/11 for Workgroups

:laffo:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

9/11 for Workgroups

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

9/11 for Workgroups

win32 can't melt steel beams

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

9/11 for Workgroups

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

https://twitter.com/maxwinebach/status/1348029020529635328

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

9/11 for Workgroups
lol

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gently caress narcs

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

loving grass

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1350529731909791745

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
gently caress i'm so tired of needless os redesigns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

since when is valium illegal

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i see, or rather don't see, a couple problems.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cold on a Cob posted:

gently caress i'm so tired of needless os redesigns

this is why, for all the 'lol linux' poo poo, it's a breath of fresh fuckin' air every time i login to see xfce doing the same thing it's always done

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

since when is valium illegal

yeah, i noticed that too. also thc, depending. should’ve gone with “mind-altering”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean or just "drugs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drugs of abuse would have been the most correct