Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

quote:

But we’re here, chained to a
loving lockdown because the boris has gone insane. Starting the world
again when the rest of the world
hasn’t even loving stopped.Think
about it! How could infection cross the oceans? How could it cross the
mountains and the rivers? They stopped it. And right now TVs are playing and planes are flying in
the sky and the world is continuing as loving normal. Think. Actually think about it. What would you do with a diseased little island?

They quarantined us.

"There is no mismanagement. It’s just ultra covid killing people."

He’s insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

It really does feel sometimes like the last five years have just been an attempt to make that tweet the funniest thing in the universe.

The funny thing is, if you injected the knowledge of what the last 5 years have been like into every voter's brain pre 2015 election, I'm still not sure Miliband would have won...

I just remembered someone I know was meant to be moving their family to Germany before the WA music stops. And I have no idea if they've done it yet.

CGI Stardust posted:

it's going to be extremely funny watching them try and ride the impossibly thin line between "bad enough to cancel Christmas" and "not so bad as to need us to be isolated from the rest of the world"

any decision they take will probably only make things more farcical

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 21, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

The funny thing is, if you injected the knowledge of what the last 5 years have been like into every voter's brain pre 2015 election, I'm still not sure Miliband would have won...

I'm afraid those voters' brains only accept information via the dataport that plugs directly into their brainstem owned by Rupert Murdoch. And Red Ed ate the sandwich too Jewishly

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

this has been happening all year tho

There's a big qualitative difference, even among the most supine media, between "Granny died because they hosed up and dumped plague victims in her care home" and "Granny died because Matt Hancock signed an order saying nobody over 75 would be admitted to hospital" (which would be only the first of care rationing levels).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a big qualitative difference, even among the most supine media, between "Granny died because they hosed up and dumped plague victims in her care home" and "Granny died because Matt Hancock signed an order saying nobody over 75 would be admitted to hospital" (which would be only the first of care rationing levels).

Has this actually had much political repercussions in countries where it's happened tho? I'm thinking Lombardy. Though at least they had the fig-leaf of being caught "unaware"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/GavNewlandsSNP/status/1340785439951753216

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Britain 2020. It'd be funny if it wasn't so loving awful and causing so much damage.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I had a funny weekend as on Saturday I took some acid with my pal, totally missed all the news, the morning after I hear my partner is coming back from her parents in case that area goes into Tier 4 so now I won't be spending Christmas alone. There were also 300 odd extra posts ITT that was strangely comforting to read yesterday as I put my head back together and wonder how hosed we are.

I know a few others have had a poo poo time this year and Christmas was a break and now thats been yanked away; sorry to hear and hope you're alright. I've had a couple of Christmas' alone - bit different from the usual sort, but you can do what you want and it can be a fun, weird day

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey to everyone itt who isn’t travelling for xmas and poo poo, stuck at home possibly alone etc

a very very sincere thank you from nhs workers, don’t think it’s not appreciated

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, we got our stockpile done.

Got a few kg of chicken and mince coming from musclefoods and then picked up like 10 of everything we usually get, like packs of bacon, salmon, fresh fish, jars of sauces, tins of soup etc.

I was trying to think of anything we've missed, but we've got big bags of stuff like pasta and whatnot already.

It felt weird buying so much stuff, but we got a chest freezer so i suppose it's a bit more like doing a quarterly shop. I'm finding that i'm just learning for the first time how long a shelf life something has, as well as how long something can be frozen for, which i think is from conditioning due to living in tiny rented flats for the better part of the last 20 years.

Any other things that you all think are likely to become short in supply or a bit more expensive with the Brexit clusterfuck?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like we keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it might just never come.

In other cheery news my zero hours work just basically told me to do one when asking for sick pay, so I guess at least i can entertain myself through self isolation shouting down the phone at them.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Kin posted:

So, we got our stockpile done.

Got a few kg of chicken and mince coming from musclefoods and then picked up like 10 of everything we usually get, like packs of bacon, salmon, fresh fish, jars of sauces, tins of soup etc.

I was trying to think of anything we've missed, but we've got big bags of stuff like pasta and whatnot already.

It felt weird buying so much stuff, but we got a chest freezer so i suppose it's a bit more like doing a quarterly shop. I'm finding that i'm just learning for the first time how long a shelf life something has, as well as how long something can be frozen for, which i think is from conditioning due to living in tiny rented flats for the better part of the last 20 years.

Any other things that you all think are likely to become short in supply or a bit more expensive with the Brexit clusterfuck?

It depends how much you use them, but I stocked up on a bunch of herbs and spices just in case they are difficult to get hold of or shoot up in price. May as well have something to go with 50kg of beef.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since we all need cheering up

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1340835705568804865?s=19
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1340881693293633538?s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My own feeling is there's no point stocking more than a few week's worth of emergency supplies - in any situation where the food supply chain breaks down for longer than that, we'd be into Mad Max territory anyway and you'd be better off putting the energy into designing your bondage leather Raider outfit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

But we’re here, chained to a
loving lockdown because the boris has gone insane. Starting the world
again when the rest of the world
hasn’t even loving stopped.Think
about it! How could infection cross the oceans? How could it cross the
mountains and the rivers? They stopped it. And right now TVs are playing and planes are flying in
the sky and the world is continuing as loving normal. Think. Actually think about it. What would you do with a diseased little island?

They quarantined us.

"There is no mismanagement. It’s just ultra covid killing people."

He’s insane.

same vibes

quote:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Stockpiling just makes you a target for renegade raider gangs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've pretty much had The Second Coming on repeat as an intrusive constant narration since 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

justcola posted:

It depends how much you use them, but I stocked up on a bunch of herbs and spices just in case they are difficult to get hold of or shoot up in price. May as well have something to go with 50kg of beef.

Hah, 50? Now I feel under prepared. We just picked up about 3kg given we only really have mince once a week.

I did make a mistake with my protein supplements though. I forgot I usually go through a 2.5kg bag over six months but bought two 5kg bags in my last order. Hope that has a long shelf life as I'll be using it until 2023.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hahahaha I have a few bits of prep done but probably nowhere near enough and I did all my shopping until after xmas last week.

We'll see how hosed everything is this time next week. Probably very.

Excuse me whilst I devolve into panicked wibbling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I read the Elle story and loving hell she has been taken for such a ride. To the extent that despite the stupidity of it all you feel sorry for her. Meanwhile all you feel about Shkreli is "he'd kill without remorse just to see what it feels like if he thought he'd get away with it", absolute sociopath.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Would?

He charged how much for lifesaving medicine?

He DID kill without remorse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I read the Elle story and loving hell she has been taken for such a ride. To the extent that despite the stupidity of it all you feel sorry for her. Meanwhile all you feel about Shkreli is "he'd kill without remorse just to see what it feels like if he thought he'd get away with it", absolute sociopath.

https://twitter.com/drea_carmen/status/1340835522177101824

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
At this point looking forward to being in lockdown next Christmas as well. Astonishing levels of competence on display.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I'm a big fan of Juror 10.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1340963819242352641?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

idk how the hell you lot are talking about Brexit stockpiling right now of all times, it's only 2 days since Christmas was cancelled, I've only got the turkey, ham and cheeses so far & my fridge & freezer are already full

I've been saying all month how much happier I'd have been if they'd just cancelled Christmas from the get-go, but jfc I already had a bunch of poo poo to do this week

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1340961789828337670?s=19

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am really incredibly impressed with the British government. Not only did they push No Deal out, they delivered it two weeks early.

He started all of this. Get him!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 21, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The followup to that is glorious btw

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1340965965413150725

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The disarmament of the working class was entirely by Tories and Blair, sometimes over incidents that killed a fraction of a fraction of the people that austerity and Covid have been allowed to kill, other times just because they could like the MARS ban last year. The last attempted change to firearms law by an actual Labour government was when Callaghan tried scrapping the licence fee, and was defeated by Tories.

Maybe post-Covid we should be arming ourselves against people like Hodges.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
shouting that marx quote about never surrendering arms and ammunition in my dumbest loudest american accent

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1340967867727097856?s=19

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

bump_fn posted:

shouting that marx quote about never surrendering arms and ammunition in my dumbest loudest american accent

Hodges: shouting that dril quote about never logging off in his dumbest loudest English accent

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Marcie

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Verso books have 60% off all ebooks atm

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The disarmament of the working class was entirely by Tories and Blair, sometimes over incidents that killed a fraction of a fraction of the people that austerity and Covid have been allowed to kill, other times just because they could like the MARS ban last year. The last attempted change to firearms law by an actual Labour government was when Callaghan tried scrapping the licence fee, and was defeated by Tories.

Maybe post-Covid we should be arming ourselves against people like Hodges.

Even an armed populace doesn't rise up against its oppressors.

To wit, the single most-armed populace in the world has the highest COVID death toll and a fascist president who spent four years golfing and somehow didn't get assassinated.

No matter how many small arms the poopulation has, when the government has tanks and planes and you have a pistol, you still lose.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hope he uses it, on himself.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've pretty much had The Second Coming on repeat as an intrusive constant narration since 2016

Been a fan of Yeats ever since i heard a bit of it in Babylon 5. :allears:

Shopping done, prescriptions collected & drawbridge pulled up..... flying solo till Feb.

Everyone stay safe. :)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Stockpiling is almost complete. Just have to buy herbs now.

Stay safe everyone. Let's hope it isn't a Mad Max situation soon.

But if it does, I have my costume ready for when people start raiding. Keep calm and keep up appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Even an armed populace doesn't rise up against its oppressors.

To wit, the single most-armed populace in the world has the highest COVID death toll and a fascist president who spent four years golfing and somehow didn't get assassinated.

No matter how many small arms the poopulation has, when the government has tanks and planes and you have a pistol, you still lose.

- Has many guns to defend against government tyranny

- Loves the police, defends them against meanies who have a problem with them killing innocent Americans