Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Tested Friday, result came back positive last night (so wouldn't have been getting that flight anyway even if we didn't cancel it)

I have been covided.

high five covid-positive buddy. We should have a Covid Christmas Crew Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Easy to get lost in the madness but lets not forget how utterly poo poo scotlab are.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1340368274115207169

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

spiderbot posted:

Just found out that the estate agent selling one of the other flats in our building is doing viewings - are they allowed to do this? Multiple groups of people (including with kids), plus the actual agent, coming through the communal areas into a not very big flat. They are wearing masks, but don't seem to be cleaning or anything between groups. Called the agent out on it and he just told me the government allows it.

get one of the other tenants to say they have covid and not do any more viewing?

Before it was just a fake emergency. No ifs, no buts.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Supply lines collapsing, new Covid strain spreading exponentially, No Deal Brexit about to gently caress everything more than humanly imaginable in just 10 days with zero time for anyone to prepare – let's check in with Keith and the opposition, surely they will at least be calling for a Brexit extension?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1340975978558971904?s=19
:eng99:

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 21, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The bit of music that sums up my feelings is the scream at 1:46 of this tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZlZuYp1fZc

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I dare say the Sun will provide him with a usable narrative to parrot

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Easy to get lost in the madness but lets not forget how utterly poo poo scotlab are.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1340368274115207169

Hard to believe he was the best choice we had in ScotLab. The guy who ran against him fought against his employees trying to Unionise and Starmer's preferred replacement is that Potato faced Edinburgh Tory who bottled joining the CUKs.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Supply lines collapsing, new Covid strain spreading exponentially, No Deal Brexit about to gently caress everything more than humanly imaginable, let's check in with Keith and the opposition:

I hate this guy so so much

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lewis goodall is maybe the only UK journalist I wouldn't throw into the blender because he at least reports stuff instead of this

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1340962998853185541?s=20

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

forkboy84 posted:

The bit of music that sums up my feelings is the scream at 1:46 of this tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZlZuYp1fZc

Perfect, absolutely perfect

We live in shriek worthy times.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Noxville posted:

I hate this guy so so much

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1340986443271983105?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a big qualitative difference, even among the most supine media, between "Granny died because they hosed up and dumped plague victims in her care home" and "Granny died because Matt Hancock signed an order saying nobody over 75 would be admitted to hospital" (which would be only the first of care rationing levels).

i think this sentiment is pretty much identical to the US libs saying "how will trump wriggle out of this doozy" for four years. the bodies are stacked to the 10th floor and all the tories have learned is that they have absolutely nothing to fear from us.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The freedom of the press was a mistake.

e: to be clear I think the press should be moved into a gulag and/or pressed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jfc

https://twitter.com/K_47/status/1340985702062952448?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think this sentiment is pretty much identical to the US libs saying "how will trump wriggle out of this doozy" for four years. the bodies are stacked to the 10th floor and all the tories have learned is that they have absolutely nothing to fear from us.

Yeah I think this is partly why the wheels are falling off. It's never been more evident to everyone that there is no mechanism to remove them from power if people keep voting for them.
And even if they don't they still get 5 years if they can keep the party in line.

It apparently isn't evident to like 95% of journos though who basically seem to operate from magic thinking. If thing is bad then it will be undone "somehow"

Otoh it's also becoming apparent there is no real mechanism with which parliament weilds power or affects action, they basically just handle bribes and make TV appearances

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Seems to me, and I'm just a layman her, but is putting your economy on pause for a couple of months and restricting international travel not less damaging that loving around with tier systems, short notice lockdowns and constant changes to guidelines (for months on end).

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1340965543763972096

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Seems to me, and I'm just a layman her, but is putting your economy on pause for a couple of months and restricting international travel not less damaging that loving around with tier systems, short notice lockdowns and constant changes to guidelines (for months on end).

If you have a functional support system in place to keep businesses alive and employees in work, yes.

I have no idea how pubs and restaurants are managing. The rules changing every few weeks just means they're constantly having to close, open for a week, implement a bunch of changes and then immediately close again.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Its not large enough, needs room for 650

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

stev posted:

If you have a functional support system in place to keep businesses alive and employees in work, yes.

I have no idea how pubs and restaurants are managing. The rules changing every few weeks just means they're constantly having to close, open for a week, implement a bunch of changes and then immediately close again.

don’t worry wetherspoons will buy them up after they go under

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Vagabong posted:

Just tested postive for covid, probably because my bastard managers decided not to tell anyone in my work area at the royal mail warehouse that at least two people came down with it a week ago. This really is a hell country.

Uh was this the NDC? :ohdear:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Supply lines collapsing, new Covid strain spreading exponentially, No Deal Brexit about to gently caress everything more than humanly imaginable in just 10 days with zero time for anyone to prepare – let's check in with Keith and the opposition, surely they will at least be calling for a Brexit extension?

Could we let the talks extend?
We need a deal, my learned friend!

Is there a chance the deal is bad?
Not on your life, my beamish lad!

What about those with niche jobs?
There'll be howling, tears and sobs!

Were you sent here by de Pfeffel?
No I'm centrist, nice and level.

The wheels came off my Brexit train.
Take my votes, and share the pain!

I swear it's England's only choice
Throw up your hands and raise your voice
Brexit deal!
What's it called?
Brexit deal!
Once again
Brexit deal!

But transport, food and drugs are broken!
Sorry, folks, the Kieth has spoken!

Brexit deal!
Brexit deal!
Brexit deal!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

Sainsbury's warned it could face "gaps" in some of its fresh food supplies within days if the UK and France failed to resolve the issue.

"gaps"

quote:

Richard Burnett, head of the Road Haulage Association, told the BBC's Today programme that consumers should not "worry about panic buying at this point in time".

"this point in time"

:shepicide:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
getting a sufficiently large pasting in the 2021 locals would change minds in CON. Johnson's brand (somewhat recursively) is defined in terms of being able to uniquely appeal to the radical wing's passions and also achieve mainstream salience, with nobody quite able to put a finger on exactly why (any resemblance is strictly coincidental &c). Ultimately the membership also want leaders who can win, albeit they are (like partisans everywhere) easily persuaded that the things they like are also the things that voters like. The only thing able to move this belief are bad actual electoral results... the members supported May until they didn't, too.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
when are the next local elections?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Supposedly there will be a protocol in place for reopening ports within a few hours. Given one of the rules will inevitably be a negative test within the last 24 hours for drivers, is that something we've got the capacity or logistical ability to do?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Brexi... D'oh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

peanut- posted:

Supposedly there will be a protocol in place for reopening ports within a few hours. Given one of the rules will inevitably be a negative test within the last 24 hours for drivers, is that something we've got the capacity or logistical ability to do?

What does your heart tell you?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

peanut- posted:

rapid test or pcr? either way the answer is always flight to be yes if you are willing to spend money

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The housing market is the centre of the known gammon universe. Without it reality will fold in on itself and collapse into infinite nothingness. Life is nothing but a delicate balancing act between punishing foreigners and poors and managing interest rates to ensure maximum landlord and homeowner yield which fuels the furnace of our national hate engine

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The ancient martial code of Brexido is exemplified by the tradition of seppUKu.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

bump_fn posted:

when are the next local elections?

assuming it doesn't get postponed again, first Thursday of May, same as every year (except this year)

extrapolate a few more months on this: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

wouldn't shock me if there are 'feelers' put out once we know what Copy of new_Brexit_Deadline_v4_FINAL_usethisone (2).docx actually looks like

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Miftan posted:

high five covid-positive buddy. We should have a Covid Christmas Crew Party.

Coughs at you amicably from Copenhagen

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ah ronya you got me with the classic document title gag

I appreciate a good chortle sometimes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
also the scottish parliament elections are still scheduled for may, for what that's worth

spoiler: scotlab are going to be useless

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Thing is, the main opposition party have spent the past year decimating and alienating their volunteer base while failing to establish a compelling counternarrative to the Tories. I wouldn't put money on a collapse in the locals unless there's some insane third-party surge.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Check out NZ as an example, they're doing amazingly compared to the rest of the world despite international tourism being their single biggest sector and in 2019 directly employing 10% of the countries workforce.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

Thing is, the main opposition party have spent the past year decimating and alienating their volunteer base while failing to establish a compelling counternarrative to the Tories. I wouldn't put money on a collapse in the locals unless there's some insane third-party surge.

Might be worth making sure NIP runs in a bunch of places just to make that happen lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

namesake posted:

Might be worth making sure NIP runs in a bunch of places just to make that happen lol

Suddenly thinking it's time to get on the weetman council grift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Just drove to Sainsbury's and at least I was able to fill the car with petrol for whatever comes because I couldn't find a parking space and gently caress trying that during a pandemic

Google reckons my local Asda is actually a little quieter than usual. However that's also how it shows up when they actually do crowd control and everyone's lining up outside so I'm not sure.

I did my shopping over the weekend so I'm not bothered, but I might go for a bit of a walk to rubberneck and see if there's any looting to be getting in on.