Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

qirex posted:

Trying to figure out the right level of bringing up the buildings without creating a ton of detail that distracts from the sky. Normally I leave everything but the sky black but I wanted to try something new because I already have a million contre jour sky pictures

I've found in LR that making a gradient and applying shadow +/- or black +/- to that gradient works well. In PS you'd be making a mask and doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

VelociBacon posted:

I've found in LR that making a gradient and applying shadow +/- or black +/- to that gradient works well. In PS you'd be making a mask and doing the same thing.

Luminosity mask is basically this but much better with less bleed where you don't want it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

I know how to do it I just think it takes away from the sunrise which is what the image is about and I'm trying to figure out the best balance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People's gaze will naturally gravitate towards whatever's brightest. As long as nothing in the city isn't brighter than the sky, no one's gonna notice so I think you're overthinking it.

What you can work on though is balance. Because of the sharp diagonal line of the cloud cover, both images feel really heavy on the right side. The first one I don't see a fix for but the second one if you cut off the left at the last skyscraper. This also helps create a level horizon, which you may or may not care about but it's what I like. Could probably trim some of the grey off the top too, but I'm not sure. I kinda like the square (or almost square) look.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

nice

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Noice!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Love the colours in this one. Just kinda wish the horizon had been lower in frame, otherwise I think composition is very good.

More like this? :cheeky:

DSCF1995 by King Dugga, on Flickr

couple of more from the other day:
DSCF1984 by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1968 by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1977 by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1965 by King Dugga, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

drat this is cool

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Greenwich, 2019

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Can't allow this thread to go on any further without saying that this is an astounding photo and extremely my poo poo

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Thank you! I was particularly pleased with it, glad it resonates with you too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Front yard lookin like Jonestown

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yay, a not-parking lot!
Very green!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very nice too!

I finally got out as well

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Nice and moody!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Contrast Footprints by B. B., on Flickr

Ice Fisherman Cherry Creek Reservoir by B. B., on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
This one is cool.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dig this.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

A wide boy.

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

My first real opportunity to shoot big waves. These have been huge and imposing for my entire trip, but the photos weren't really capturing anything until the clouds broke for ten minutes at sunset tonight. The colors were amazing.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The last one would be great shot as a 2.35:1 panorama or cropped as wide as you can get away with without cutting off too much sky or foreground for that CinemaScope western movie look.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Always a pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost