Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's up with the avatars that look like they're from pulpy 1950s sci-fi novel covers?

A C-SPAM mod got a pack of like 50+ of them uploaded and handed them out until they ran out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SubNat posted:

Could you show an example?
There was a trend like 1-2 years ago when 'cyberpunk/glitch/vaporwave'-ing up avatars was a thing, but that's doesn't sound like the '1950s' period you refer to.

Could be something from one of those neat/weird/bad book threads, but it's hard to know without seeing what it is you're referring to.

Something like this one.

EDIT:

TheAardvark posted:

A C-SPAM mod got a pack of like 50+ of them uploaded and handed them out until they ran out.

I thought it was a Book Barn thing at first.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Carthag Tuek posted:

I think mostly it's done as a goon/admin collaboration when the sentiment is there in some thread. So some goon buys a regular small smiley and sends the admin the bigger one and they replace it. Probably there's also some mod forum heads-up?

I guess in theory the big smiley could be any size, since it's just replacing a file on the image server.

Yep that's it exactly.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's up with the avatars that look like they're from pulpy 1950s sci-fi novel covers?

CSPAM mod Squizzle is responsible for those. He made hundreds of them over the summer and handed them all out to individuals without avatars. :) As I understand it, he just wanted to do something nice for the community.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Nov 29, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It was very nice and much appreciated. :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want to make this a new smilie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Hang on.

EDIT: in as vincefrog, should appear shortly :vincefrog:

Midjack has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Nov 30, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grouchio posted:

You are free to do so...

For a price!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wowza! Thank you very much, it is always a kick when someone wants to make one of mine official.
If there's a smilie you want vinced I can vince with the best of them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Wowza! Thank you very much, it is always a kick when someone wants to make one of mine official.

It's live! That was exactly what I needed to see this evening. :cheerdoge:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The toll is paid.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Scarodactyl posted:

If you're taking requests I'd love to see vince'd. Ideally at size, but I know that requires some mod/admin help.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Scarodactyl posted:

it is always a kick when someone wants to make one of mine official.

this is amazing! great work.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Grouchio posted:

This one is amazing and I'll use it along with :pusheen: and :vince:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'd have sworn we had a "hands" smilie based on this:

Was it just a thing in people's avatars or does that exist and I'm just terrible at searching the smilies page?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I'd have sworn we had a "hands" smilie based on this:

Was it just a thing in people's avatars or does that exist and I'm just terrible at searching the smilies page?
I think it was only in avatars. A tiny little add-on slipped into avatars, so it definitely had that smilie vibe, though.

Stickyboi
Dec 25, 2005

permanent adhesive
How can I find out who made a smilie?

I tried ordering custom postal stamps from my post office but they flagged this image :imunfunny: and required either proof that I was the creator or written authorization by the creator for using it.

I was looking forward to using custom stamps to send stuff to goons but looks like I'll just have to remake/draw any images I want from scratch in my own style so I'll be able to show them my working files.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stickyboi posted:

I tried ordering custom postal stamps from my post office but they flagged this image :imunfunny: and required either proof that I was the creator or written authorization by the creator for using it.

Guessing it's pretty much impossible unless it happened to be a big thing in the thread where it was created, but that's a pretty rad idea and I hope I'm wrong on that account.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good luck getting in touch with the creator today, but this does answer your question.

As for how I found the article, I reverse image searched the file through Google.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thr guy who designed the original "awesome face" emote is known and not a goon. That's probably why it was flagged.
E:f,b

Stickyboi
Dec 25, 2005

permanent adhesive

Thanks!! Guess I won't bother using it since the creator hated it so much.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just practice drawing it freehand. Then go into the post office and draw it in front of the postal worker and then hand it to them and have them make it into a stamp.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Scarodactyl posted:

Thr guy who designed the original "awesome face" emote is known and not a goon.

Uhhh...

The Creator of the smilie posted:

I’m also a member at Something Awful

As quoted in the article

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh, fair enough. I just remembered it was made for some other forum originally.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Where did :females: come from?

Did it originate in the Goon doom bathroom thread?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wanna say it was from a Nice Guy mock thread or something similar. It’s definitely from the proto-incel era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At a wild guess, aside from the obvious DS9 reference, it's probably from a PUA or adjacent/predecessor mock thread.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At a wild guess, aside from the obvious DS9 reference, it's probably from a PUA or adjacent/predecessor mock thread.

I think so, same for :biotruths:, which was something about prehistoric women knowing to pick red berries?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
What is :kstare: depicting?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
“Women like pink and are better at telling colors apart because prehistorically they were gatherers and men were hunters and they needed to be able to tell all the berries apart” is a popular piece of pop science that manages to be wrong on every single level, making it the ideal symbol for the concept of biotruths.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Krusty the Clown’s face after the weird Worker and Parasite vid his show played after it lost the rights to Itchy and Scratchy. Came from the Simpson’s meme thread.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gizmo Chicken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

“Women like pink and are better at telling colors apart because prehistorically they were gatherers and men were hunters and they needed to be able to tell all the berries apart” is a popular piece of pop science that manages to be wrong on every single level, making it the ideal symbol for the concept of biotruths.

In particular because most naturally pink berries tend to be incredibly poisonous, iirc.

The word in particular comes from the ludicrously sexist Gor novels.

Kitfox88 posted:

Krusty the Clown’s face after the weird Worker and Parasite vid his show played after it lost the rights to Itchy and Scratchy. Came from the Simpson’s meme thread.

It looks very... unfortunate on a black background, as awful app users and presumably YOSPOS discovered.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On the contrary, I find :kstare: even funnier on my phone's dark background.

It was fun seeing that smilie evolve in real (goon) time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Where did :females: come from?

Did it originate in the Goon doom bathroom thread?
I don't know where it originates, but it definitely predates the bathroom thread.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

There is also :kstarehair: if you want to use his full head

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

On the contrary, I find :kstare: even funnier on my phone's dark background.

It was fun seeing that smilie evolve in real (goon) time.

I can only see it as a weird potato thing with eyes and a peg leg in dark mode, it’s both hilarious and unsettling in equal measure.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Dark mode definitely makes it look pretty starkly odd. The lack of a head makes me wonder if there's something black I'm not seeing (turns out it's just the outline) and the outline of the bowtie fading into the background does indeed make it look like stubby little legs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks like a golliwog figure.

That’s the unfortunaticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
if someone were to make a smilie exactly like :five: but with the Zoom "leave meeting" button, I'd donate $20 to UNICEF