Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean the Prime Elise I just picked up was $215. https://sneakbox.com/products/prime_elise

I saw your post about this and was very tempted, but it looks to me that there's no switchplates left, so I wouldn't be able to build one, unless I'm missing something on this site :(

I should have known there was a low profile specific Discord because of course there is, I'll take a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

abraham linksys posted:

I saw your post about this and was very tempted, but it looks to me that there's no switchplates left, so I wouldn't be able to build one, unless I'm missing something on this site :(

I should have known there was a low profile specific Discord because of course there is, I'll take a look

wait what the gently caress is it not sold out yet???

yeah the plates were a thing... actually the whole process was a thing. there was a glitch with the site and Sneakbox had to fix some poo poo. You couldn't order a plate from the case page, you couldn't order a plate from the plate page, there was another plate page, but you couldn't add that either even though it was in stock. Eventually he just sorted it out by offering it with free shipping and I had to order the plate separately.
But not before a few people committed to running GB's for plates. I'm going to snag an FR4 plate from one of the GB's so if you really want a Prime Elise and need a plate, hit me up and I'll help you sort it out.
Otherwise I would HIGHLY recommend trying for Meridian https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107945.0

Here's Prime KB's Discord invite:https://discord.com/invite/WHGx5nU
It's an AI03 board so I'm sure it will be good. However it will be $350 - 400. Group buy is supposed to be in January.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 19, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Duck and Cover posted:

That sounds awful I'd have to learn to type with more then the 4ish fingers I normally use. Let's see 4 for the bulk thumb for space, and pinky for shift. 6 I think I type with 6 fingers. gently caress you Mario you can't tell me how to type!

I spent an abnormal percentage of my life learning to touch type and use nine fingers for typing. That left one thumb doing gently caress-all, so I've found my happy typing place in a split spacebar 60% with an Fn key in between the space keys for my thumb to use. Takes up a lot less space on my desk then a full-size board, and it didn't take very long for new muscle memory to kick in.

That's the beauty of keyboards today, though. There's a ton of designs out there, and there's something for everyone. Keep on rocking your 104-key with six fingers; gently caress the haters

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I spent an abnormal percentage of my life learning to touch type and use nine fingers for typing. That left one thumb doing gently caress-all, so I've found my happy typing place in a split spacebar 60% with an Fn key in between the space keys for my thumb to use. Takes up a lot less space on my desk then a full-size board, and it didn't take very long for new muscle memory to kick in.

That's the beauty of keyboards today, though. There's a ton of designs out there, and there's something for everyone. Keep on rocking your 104-key with six fingers; gently caress the haters

Uhh I'm using a Womier k66 which is a 60%. I think ideally I'd be using a 70% but I can live without dedicated function keys.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Uh...I'm using a ~8 year old Leopold TKL w/Cherry MX Brown switches that is most assuredly a basic board. USB 2.0, no software, ~$90 back in 2012, no RGB lights, etc.

My only real complaint with it is the ABS keycaps need a good replacing. WASD makes a nice set of plain jane, double shot PBT key caps that, when in doubt, would work fine but are getting close to the price of a basic mechanical KB.

Maybe I should just swap out the whole KB - how likely would I notice any improvements in a newer TKL from someone like WASD, Ducky, Filco, etc.? I don't care about fancy RGB lights, not sure what I would do with any macro software, etc. Any improvements in switches in the last 8 years?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cherries are still Cherries. Other switch brands have improved.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Duck and Cover posted:

Uhh I'm using a Womier k66 which is a 60%. I think ideally I'd be using a 70% but I can live without dedicated function keys.

Hmm, I have conflated you with someone who uses a full size somehow. My bad dogg :)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Hmm, I have conflated you with someone who uses a full size somehow. My bad dogg :)

Too late you've made an enemy for life.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dang, that Wormier actually looks super nice - there's a slight angle to it, but it looks much less steep than most cases, and it's pretty low profile. it looks like you can flash it with QMK, as well, though like any firmware flash it has a chance of bricking it that I'd be somewhat scared to risk

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Ordered a Keychron K2 this week and I知 obsessively googling artisan keycaps. This hobby is about to murder my bank account.

The S-Craft Pokemon caps are so cool. :stare: Looks like their latest round of orders went up and sold out December 15th so I値l have to wait for the next batch cause oh my god I want a Gengar and Bulbasaur! :3:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Too late you've made an enemy for life.

:sigh: All right, then.

I put on my robe and wizard hat

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Speaking of artisans, Artkey Universe is having a fulfillment sale on 14 different Sirius colorways tomorrow at 9pm EST. If you've ever wanted a Sirius, you'll finally be able to get one, without having to deal with raffle nonsense. Here's the post with more info: https://artkeyuniverse.com/blog/sirius-fulfillment.html

Here's the colorways available:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Learn to chord and embrace the 8 key life.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

dang, that Wormier actually looks super nice - there's a slight angle to it, but it looks much less steep than most cases, and it's pretty low profile. it looks like you can flash it with QMK, as well, though like any firmware flash it has a chance of bricking it that I'd be somewhat scared to risk

Took almost 2 months to get from KPrepublic. Not that it mattered and besides I'm not sure anyone else was selling it in gateron yellows.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BGrifter posted:

Ordered a Keychron K2 this week and I知 obsessively googling artisan keycaps. This hobby is about to murder my bank account.

The S-Craft Pokemon caps are so cool. :stare: Looks like their latest round of orders went up and sold out December 15th so I値l have to wait for the next batch cause oh my god I want a Gengar and Bulbasaur! :3:

Don't wander into /mechmarket then.
I also wanted Gengar and couldn't get him. I don't know if they're going to do those again though, so aftermarket might be your only option. The GB is always such a poo poo show for S-Craft. The site always goes down immediately, there's always problems with check out, etc... At least this time there were a lot more slots available. I snagged Mr Mime, Clefairy, Eevee, Shellder from this last one.

I just got a monochrome Clutch in the mail today:

Winkeys is one of my favorite Artisan makers. Also; Artkey, Alpha Keycaps, Archetype, Rathcaps, Hello? Caps, Latrialum, GSK, and Sodie Caps.
I'm waiting on a Keyofate set of arrow keys in the mail right now. They look good in pics but I'll post up when they come in.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey the new Hyperglides are pretty good. I also just stem swapped some UHMWPE stems into cherry housings with TX 16mm 67g springs and TX .15mm films, and that's a pretty great switch thanks in no small part to the Cherry housings.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 20, 2020

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't wander into /mechmarket then.
I also wanted Gengar and couldn't get him. I don't know if they're going to do those again though, so aftermarket might be your only option. The GB is always such a poo poo show for S-Craft. The site always goes down immediately, there's always problems with check out, etc... At least this time there were a lot more slots available. I snagged Mr Mime, Clefairy, Eevee, Shellder from this last one.

Oh I did and it was glorious! Gonna be so broke ordering keycaps for my fancy new keyboard.

I致e been reading a lot of similar anecdotes online about S-Craft. I知 figuring I値l just have to be patient and wait for the next batch to come up. Gengar is by far my top wish, but I could see myself wanting to collect them all over time. I値l totally redo the entire keyboard in light and dark purple if I get a Gengar someday.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get blank keycaps in a variety of colors?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

So how are the switches on the Keychrons? Going Bluetooth/Wireless is tempting as a tangible upgrade over my existing board, then.

I presume for my needs (no fancy RGB, no macros) it's going to be an acceptable board for general typing and non-competitive gaming?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BGrifter posted:

Oh I did and it was glorious! Gonna be so broke ordering keycaps for my fancy new keyboard.

I致e been reading a lot of similar anecdotes online about S-Craft. I知 figuring I値l just have to be patient and wait for the next batch to come up. Gengar is by far my top wish, but I could see myself wanting to collect them all over time. I値l totally redo the entire keyboard in light and dark purple if I get a Gengar someday.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get blank keycaps in a variety of colors?

I mean if you really want a good match for Gengar http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/sa-dreameater
Blanks though I couldn't say offhand.

Anti-Hero posted:

So how are the switches on the Keychrons? Going Bluetooth/Wireless is tempting as a tangible upgrade over my existing board, then.

I presume for my needs (no fancy RGB, no macros) it's going to be an acceptable board for general typing and non-competitive gaming?
Good question. I never even tried mine... I yeeted them as soon as the board came in. Same with the caps. Those are loving garbage.
The board otherwise is great, though I know a couple Mac users that had some bluetooth issues but I think they were resolved and they're happy otherwise.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

abraham linksys posted:

https://ergomech.store/products/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

aw man, some of these look dope, but now I'm remembering that I, uh, don't actually know how to solder or anything. looks like they used to offer assembly but don't anymore, bah. I think I'd be fine assembling hotswap switches and keycaps, but anything requiring soldering is probably beyond me - I'm not particularly dexterous and would be terrified of loving up an expensive purchase :v:

also, this is a dumb question, but even if I did decide to give soldering a spin, where would I get cases for these things? are there guides to like 3d printer services that are accurate enough for this?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The kits mostly come with top and bottom plates and those serve as the case for the keyboard. If the keyboard was popular enough, you'd likely find 3d models available that you can print with a 3d printing service. Sometimes the vendor will provide these as well.

As for soldering, don't be intimidated. Soldering with most keyboard kits is like the easiest soldering job you can do. Back in the day you had to solder on tiny diodes, resistors and surface mount parts, but these days all you need to do is solder on a through-hole switch. Very simple to learn and practice.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah was gonna say, don't let yourself be held back by soldering. It's easy as can be and the worst thing that can happen is that you grab the iron by the wrong end (which I did when it was falling onto my dick because I care about work safety). And that wasn't too bad either.

You put a component on the board, hold the solder and iron to it, wait until a drop of tin has settled around your join, done. Repeat by how many switches you need. You can grab the cheapest soldering kit from Aliexpress ad and it'll work just fine.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 20, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Speaking of soldering.
Discipad is back...
https://lastpadawan.store/products/discipad-numpad-kit-brought-to-you-by-mfchill-co

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Soldering isn't too hard, but I would recommend doing something simple like a small macro pad to get some practice in before trying anything bigger. Also:

Be careful about the orientations of components, which is important for diodes and the Pro Micro.
Go for something that uses mostly or all through-hole components, as surface mount is a bit harder.
Double-check your solder joints; I don't think I've yet managed to build a board without having to go back and touch up some solder joints at least once.
Get some little plastic bags to keep stuff in.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Ewen Cluney posted:

Soldering isn't too hard, but I would recommend doing something simple like a small macro pad to get some practice in before trying anything bigger.

I had no idea how to solder just a few months ago, but I bought these cheap practice PCBs for ~$10 each which made me comfortable enough to work on keyboards. One is for through-hole soldering and the other to practice surface mount/LED soldering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRSFJ4B
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPSRXJ0

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Good question. I never even tried mine... I yeeted them as soon as the board came in. Same with the caps. Those are loving garbage.
The board otherwise is great, though I know a couple Mac users that had some bluetooth issues but I think they were resolved and they're happy otherwise.

Where did you find caps that you liked for the Keychrons?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cyberboard xmas special. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109665.0

quote:

CRAZY DESIGNERS12/15/2020
@everyone
CYBERBOARD XMAS SPECIAL's GROUP BUY ANNOUNCEMENT

Eastern Standard Time (US) - 12/22 ,10 AM
The item will be on the store: https://www.angrymiao.com/

Estimate shipping date: before 2021/03
Estimate price: 480 USD (shipping fee or tax not included)

More details are on the way, please wait for the update. And we've got some surprises on the day, stay in the server and you will find out!

Note: CB Xmas edition's case is made by polycarbonates. Please check the IC thread for more info - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109665.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Anti-Hero posted:

Where did you find caps that you liked for the Keychrons?

Group buys. Although admittedly right now it's rockin those Skylight caps from Drop.com
Novelkeys also has OSA Sleeves in stock: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/keycaps/products/osa-sleeves

I have the 1st round of this board and I wasn't super impressed. No QMK kinda sucks, the firmware is a pain (although it's improved tremendously) and it feels like you're typing on a silicone oven mitt.

potential NSFW:
https://i.imgur.com/KlNfVIZ.mp4

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 21, 2020

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Group buys. Although admittedly right now it's rockin those Skylight caps from Drop.com
Novelkeys also has OSA Sleeves in stock: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/keycaps/products/osa-sleeves

So how did you deal with those key caps that are unique to the Keychron, like the RGB light and the Siri/Cortana assist? Leave those alone?

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Every year my wife and I add to our Christmas display, and this year more than any other it is apparent that our inflatable Santa and snowman are woefully under powered in the LED department. Anybody looking at our display is not marvelling at the lights, they are likely questioning "why are those inflatables so dim?"

I attempted today to change their bulbs out for brighter ones, only to find they don't use bulbs - a google taught me that what I saw was in fact "LED Injection Modules" and further googling led me to find that I can juice the output of my Christmas inflatables by adding LED Injection Modules.

This involves some soldering.

As luck would have it, hours prior, I had read the solder talk on this thread including the advice "As for soldering, don't be intimidated."

I ran out immediately to Canadian Tire and bought a soldering station (that happened to be half price), some solder that claimed to be the right one for electronics, and a truck bed LED kit that I could tell was just a series of 8 LED Injection Modules.

30 minutes of snipping, stripping, and soldering later and my inflatable Santa and snowman have never looked more glorious. My kids are ecstatic.

Thanks Keyboard Thread!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Apsyrtes posted:

Every year my wife and I add to our Christmas display, and this year more than any other it is apparent that our inflatable Santa and snowman are woefully under powered in the LED department. Anybody looking at our display is not marvelling at the lights, they are likely questioning "why are those inflatables so dim?"

I attempted today to change their bulbs out for brighter ones, only to find they don't use bulbs - a google taught me that what I saw was in fact "LED Injection Modules" and further googling led me to find that I can juice the output of my Christmas inflatables by adding LED Injection Modules.

This involves some soldering.

As luck would have it, hours prior, I had read the solder talk on this thread including the advice "As for soldering, don't be intimidated."

I ran out immediately to Canadian Tire and bought a soldering station (that happened to be half price), some solder that claimed to be the right one for electronics, and a truck bed LED kit that I could tell was just a series of 8 LED Injection Modules.

30 minutes of snipping, stripping, and soldering later and my inflatable Santa and snowman have never looked more glorious. My kids are ecstatic.

Thanks Keyboard Thread!

I知 imagining your yard being bright enough to land planes on and no logic will change that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Anti-Hero posted:

So how did you deal with those key caps that are unique to the Keychron, like the RGB light and the Siri/Cortana assist? Leave those alone?

I just memorized the functions of those keys and put what I wanted on them.
I wouldn't count on being able to find keycaps with the right combination of those particular media and key legends. If you can't remember what they do then just tape the key configuration to the underside of the keyboard until it finally sticks.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Electronaut posted:

I知 imagining your yard being bright enough to land planes on and no logic will change that.

i pictured santa making a lightsaber noise as it was powered on.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just memorized the functions of those keys and put what I wanted on them.
I wouldn't count on being able to find keycaps with the right combination of those particular media and key legends. If you can't remember what they do then just tape the key configuration to the underside of the keyboard until it finally sticks.

Gotcha.

I've ended up on spending the premium bucks on a Drop ALT High Profile.

I'm a little confused with the difference in price between using the build tool, and grabbing a prebuilt. It comes out to be about $20 more to use the build tool.

Builder Tool (assembly required):
ALT High profile, black + Skylight Series Keycaps (Black) + Cherry MX Brown switches = $255.0

Prebuilt:
ALT High profile black w/Cherry MX browns, + Skylight Series Keycaps (Black) = $234.0

This is bizarre, and the cheaper option will include the default slate keycaps that come with the pre-built. What am I missing?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm seriously tempted to pick up the MT3 Dasher, but the only full size board I have on hand is a model M.

I suppose I could get around to building that custom board I was all into ~8 months ago and grab the ortho set...

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

My Box Jades finally arrived today. Put them in and Gwaihir, you were right, they're about as close as I can get to ALPS parity for now. Way more tactile than the Box Oranges and the click is thankfully not quite as high pitched as I was fearing. Feels great to type on and they're just the right weight for me.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

NovelKeys is adding another licensed IP to their product line

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJEvrznnTLi/?igshid=r5derfyhj0fa

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dimestore Merlin posted:

My Box Jades finally arrived today. Put them in and Gwaihir, you were right, they're about as close as I can get to ALPS parity for now. Way more tactile than the Box Oranges and the click is thankfully not quite as high pitched as I was fearing. Feels great to type on and they're just the right weight for me.

Nice!

I was in the office for the first time in months and that's where I have my drop CTRL with box whites + SA caps and man I was reminded about just what an excellent board it is.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone looking to sell a switch tester? I知 enjoying my drop ctrl with Halo Clears, but I need a separate numpad and kinda want to poke at different switches first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Some Goon posted:

I suppose I could get around to building that custom board I was all into ~8 months ago and grab the ortho set...

This is why I ordered them for. Maybe I値l finally start building that Dactyl Manuform now.

Time to put my SA Leviathan alphas+ergo which I had in mind for it on r/mm I guess.