Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Cleretic posted:

AST right now is basically only interesting if you really like the card mechanics, or blinding people with an LB3; they could probably use something a bit more visually or numerically spectacular to get excited about.

I happen to think Earthly Star, Horoscope, and Collective Unconscious are pretty satisfying when you learn how to effectively mitigate raid-wides, stack-markers, and the like.

When you add in Aspected Shields and Card Buffs/Divination, there's a lot of stuff ASTs can do that is proactive rather than reactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The current card system is the most boring least fun to master part of ast. ES timing and big brain horoscope plays are the good part.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The thing with the cards is that, conceptually, it's cool. Trusting in the heart of the cards to send baddies to the Shadow Realm is a neat idea.

But in practice it needs to be reliable. And recent changes to Sleeve Draw would suggest that you can't rely on RNG to give you that card you need when you need it. Which in turn makes it that no one card can be more crucial to your rotation than the next.

So there's no real excitement in drawing any card. You're never going to pull a Blue-Eyes out of your butt to blow away the competition.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think the only spell currently available to players that forcibly moves an enemy is Sticky Tongue for Blue Mages.

Edit: Oh, and also Snort, another Blue Mage spell.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 21, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Neither Astro or Scholar have an analogue to Afflatus Misery because they don't need it. Afflatus Misery isn't some big crescendo to work for like Midare Setsugekka. It's a tool to try to make up for the dps loss of needing to use GCD healing spells. Even using it is a dps loss over the ideal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Neither Astro or Scholar have an analogue to Afflatus Misery because they don't need it. Afflatus Misery isn't some big crescendo to work for like Midare Setsugekka. It's a tool to try to make up for the dps loss of needing to use GCD healing spells. Even using it is a dps loss over the ideal.

I think the argument is less that Afflatus Misery is a part of WHM's DPS kit that makes it stronger--it's that it makes it more engaging and interesting. Yes, it's a DPS loss over just not having to use GCD heals at all, this is true. But it's an element of WHM's kit that's really cool and feels fun to use. It creates an interesting bit of gameplay that neither SCH nor AST really have anything comparable to in their offensive kits.

I don't think SCH or AST need to have some sort of copy of Afflatus Misery necessarily. They just need a little bit of extra... spice, would be one way to put it. Not much, not enough to make their DPS rotations overwhelming in a raid context. Just a little touch of extra interest. That's what Afflatus Misery does for WHM--it's not adding power so much as it's making it just a little more flavorful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Good game design isn't always about the cold, economic calculation of mechanics. Afflatus Misery feels good to use because it's framed as a "reward" for healing other people: you top your party up and then get to see a big damage number appear. It's in the same ballpark as, say, Iajutsu having a cast time: it's completely unnecessary for the job to be balanced, but it makes the action feel more powerful and gives the job a unique flavor.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

bewilderment posted:

I stopped playing GW2 for a bunch of reasons (not that I played it for very long in the first place) but while the quest writing was generally rear end, yeah, I think it did the right thing by ditching tank/healer/dps as a model and having dodging telegraphed attacks be the focus.

I also stopped playing GW2 after not playing it for that relatively long, and in my case it was BECAUSE they thought they could get away with a "no trinity" design while simultaneously designing dungeons that boiled down to respawn zergfests, in which me completely swapping out my Engineer's kit for all my available group healing abilities still couldn't keep people alive, so the best we could do was just keep throwing ourselves against the encounters and hope that one of us managed to stay alive long enough for someone else to get back to the fight and get on the aggro table. It was absolutely miserable and I'm not surprised or sorry to hear that they walked that back in subsequent encounter design.

W.T. Fits posted:

I think the only spell currently available to players that forcibly moves an enemy is Sticky Tongue for Blue Mages.

Edit: Oh, and also Snort, another Blue Mage spell.

And Protean Wave. Like so much else, they seem to be content to leave a lot of the stuff they cut from general job kits on BLU.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 21, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All the healer talk reminds me that I wanna work on leveling a third job to 80 and was thinking doing either a caster or healer to get another role quest out of it. I've got six levels in both red mage and conjurer, but otherwise it's ground I've barely covered and haven't touched for at least a year. What's the favorite casters and healers?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's also the result of the devs trying to reduce healer dps kits to the barest essentials needs of each job. Energy Drain, Ruin 2, and Art of War's instant cast time are designed with SCH's base needs. Malefic's 1.5s cast time was tuned for AST's needs. Afflatus Misery was added in to address WHM's.

If they were going to add anything to the other 2 jobs that felt like like, they'd have to go back and reassess what the healers' dps kits need. Which I wouldn't mind, but under the current paradigm, it's unnecessary.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Waffleman_ posted:

All the healer talk reminds me that I wanna work on leveling a third job to 80 and was thinking doing either a caster or healer to get another role quest out of it. I've got six levels in both red mage and conjurer, but otherwise it's ground I've barely covered and haven't touched for at least a year. What's the favorite casters and healers?

You could SMN/SCH double dip and do both. I personally don't like SMN, and SCH outside of 8 man content is tedious.

WHM is always good, and rips up dungeons. Lots of power, from solo to group content as well, and probably has the simplest kit to use optimally.

AST is the weakest solo, and their cards don't really make up for it in 4-man content, but they have a ton of utility spells and they stay really busy.

RDM has a nice, easy rotation, along with mobility and utility. I've been playing them a decent amount lately and have been enjoying it.

BLM is, as always, a turret. Lots of slow, big hits, and a conceptually simple rotation that can punish you a bit if you don't manage enochian properly.

I'd say they're all good though, and I try to play them (except SMN) regularly.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
SMN is the best class and its rotation is actually just a series of phases that boil down to "manage a resource in this one so that you can keep optimal dps in the next one"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

I bounced off of RDM, it was just too boring. You never get anything that changes your basic rotation, just a couple extra buttons in it. It kinda feels like the worst of both worlds for a melee and caster class, because you have to deal with casting times restricting your movement and also need opportunities to get in close for your melee combo.

SMN takes a long time to get fun, but it is really fun once you get there. It's not as flashy and burst-y as BLM, but you do get to throw out plenty of giant pillars of white light. And, it's the most mobile caster class by far. You almost never have to hardcast spells after a certain point, and your DOTs and egi keep attacking even if you're forced to run around for mechanics. It's kind of tricky to wrap your head around, but it feels very rewarding to tap dance across all the different buttons for your opener or the transition into the demi-bahamut phase.

Healing, I don't know, I don't like healing, but AST has the coolest theme :v:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I will repeat for the umpteenth time that if they ever fix dreamwyrm trance to do anything at all after you get Bahamut, SMN will resume being my favorite caster.

Until then I shall lament that it is no more than the first part of the four key lock to the dragon nuke.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think it could be cool for AST to get some sort of afflatus mistery like but with heart of the cards instead. Idk maybe have it charge from minor arcana so you're alternating between casting divination and blue eyes white dragon

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

WHM was my main for basically the entire game, I got SCH to 80 shortly thereafter, and now I've got AST at 74 and AST is fun as hell. WHM is very satisfying because you have a tool for every situation and can just firehose healing when you need it. SCH is a job I never have to play again, it was always a little too hectic with too few tools and a resource that never seemed worth using if I even remembered I had it. AST is probably going to be my new main, it's flashy and effective and just fun to play. The cards aren't an amazing mechanic for buffs (never played under any of the old versions) but are very easy to manage and are incredible as a Mana upkeep tool. Also at 60 you get a great hat.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Since we're still on the healing discussion, I'm just gonna repost this

https://twitter.com/lenna7thlotus/status/1257901434135248898?s=21

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Galaxy brain: the cards should be your attack mechanic as AST because offensive and buff mechanics can tolerate a bit of randomness for a healer in ways that healing and essential support mechanics cannot.

(Do not trust me, I know nothing of AST or healing.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes let me be gambit

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

(5.3 spoilers) Urianger struck that goddamn card pose and god dammit he hasn't been an Astro for as long as me. Where is my loving nerd rear end card guy pose Square what the gently caress?!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

(5.3 spoilers) Urianger struck that goddamn card pose and god dammit he hasn't been an Astro for as long as me. Where is my loving nerd rear end card guy pose Square what the gently caress?!

I can't remember if it's /bstance or /vpose but the one where you take the card out of the globe and toss it away is very good. I feel like both are very underused for all jobs.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
ast cards are pretty easy to solve on a case-by-case basis and while maximizing their use over an entire difficult fight is tough, it's not exciting enough. therefore, they should occasionally explode when drawn

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

Galaxy brain: the cards should be your attack mechanic as AST because offensive and buff mechanics can tolerate a bit of randomness for a healer in ways that healing and essential support mechanics cannot.

If anything, I'd rather them create a new debuff* focused job rather than retool the game's buff biggest support job. The randomness in the current card system is pretty minor at this point, so it's not a huge issue.

*that won't happen.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

they should give astrologian a blood lily type system where they can draw part of a set of cards like that exodia guy from that awful yugioh cartoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ifxa9oXWlI

except maybe its called like CALAMITY'S GLIMPSE or something appropriately anime and it's themed around predictions of umbral calamities. maybe you can cast it with just a couple of cards but its weaker, or keep getting more and make it stronger. it could be themed around different calamity elements for each tier

idk it would be cool

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I want to predict that the enemy will momentarily be struck by lightning, hit by falling rocks or that they'll trip and fall like Million Dollar Baby.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

how DARE you disrespect yami yugi

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they should give astrologian a blood lily type system where they can draw part of a set of cards like that exodia guy from that awful yugioh cartoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ifxa9oXWlI

except maybe its called like CALAMITY'S GLIMPSE or something appropriately anime and it's themed around predictions of umbral calamities. maybe you can cast it with just a couple of cards but its weaker, or keep getting more and make it stronger. it could be themed around different calamity elements for each tier

idk it would be cool

When you've handed out cards to 3-5 people who get the full bonus from them, have it let you cast Stardust (per T9, so it drops meteors on the enemies which then explode).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jetrauben posted:

FYI, your melee attack is you grabbing a card from your spread and using it to give your target a papercut.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Turn divination until a personal damage attack that does potency 20000 or the equivalent instead of damage up on party.

Class fixed thanks for coming

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Or let me link summon spam for 10 mins till I get an ftk on the boss

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I no longer regret accidentally voting 2 on this thread

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If you cant do a summoning quote for every single AST card you dont deserve to wear the moon hat.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i cast pot of greed

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Ideally I don't actually think healers should exist; games like Destiny and the Division don't require anyone to be a dedicated healer or tank. You can spec into healing if you choose and it makes fights take a little longer but in return you get that safety net. Nobody's a 'dedicated healer' in Monster Hunter.

Obviously FF14 isn't going to be rewritten to match that but it's definitely outdated game design.

Outside of dungeon trash pulls, tanking is also mostly old design that just exists to have the boss target a specific player for single-target attacks. Most of the engagement in a raid comes from the big raidwide mechanics and outside of the boss doing a tankbuster now and then there's not actually much tank engagement.

You could rewrite 90% of the bosses to just do DPS-scale damage and occasionally just pick a random target for attacks and it would be more engaging than the tank just pulling them to the centre and that's it.

please never go into game design

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

also give sch a fairy laser array they can spend a full fairy gauge to command

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just spent a good amount of time trying to manage my gear inventory, and I was handing items over to my retainer. I then realized I was handing over gear that's assigned to my other classes. Am I missing something obvious, or is there a way to see if an item is currently equipped on another class?

Also, what do ya'll do with gear you don't need? Most of my current inventory I can't put on the market (greyed out), is there something else I should be doing with it other than hoarding it all?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BisterdDave posted:

I just spent a good amount of time trying to manage my gear inventory, and I was handing items over to my retainer. I then realized I was handing over gear that's assigned to my other classes. Am I missing something obvious, or is there a way to see if an item is currently equipped on another class?

Also, what do ya'll do with gear you don't need? Most of my current inventory I can't put on the market (greyed out), is there something else I should be doing with it other than hoarding it all?

There is a symbol on it if it's in the armoury and assigned to a gear set. Gearsets are little more than text files explaining what items are to be equipped on a switch, so there's no logic or memory behind them.

If you don't need gear, you can desynth it for (sometimes rare) mats, or turn them in to your grand company for seals. If you're going to level up another job in the same role, and it's decent gear (like the max level poetic ones), you might as well hold on to it. Gear is super easy to obtain otherwise so no point in holding on to it in the off chance you feel like levelling something a year and a half from now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

or turn them in to your grand company for seals.

Oh yeah, forgot this was an option!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There is a symbol on it if it's in the armoury and assigned to a gear set.

it took me a very long time to recognize the little white square in the corner of the gear icon in the armory chest meant it was registered to a gearset.

Btw, at your glamour cabinet and at the GC turn-in NPC, you can toggle an option to hide all equipment that's registered to your gearset. I also recommend going into your inventory options and turning off new equipment you acquire/craft going directly into your armory chest - it dropping into your inventory instead lets you keep better track of it so you can more easily dispose of stuff you don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

i cast pot of greed

amazing! that allows you to draw two more cards from your deck. incredible strategies....