Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Brawnfire posted:

I'm tryna figure out what's a good mixer for Laphroaig

Faygo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah yes, the Moon Mist On Islay, a classic

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Brawnfire posted:

rc cola

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Cyanide

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Red Bull or blue-flavoured Powerade.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bob dobbs is dead posted:

TJs and costco are the only good ones now yeah

TJs has a frozen chicken wonton soup that compares favorably to restaurant wonton soups. The wontons come out perfect, and there are plenty of them. It's got a good portion of veggies and herbs too, it tastes green and fresh. The broth has excellent flavor.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Iron Crowned posted:

Diet anything and liquor is a pro move if you wanna get drunk quicker

Diet grape or orange soda is my go-to mixer for anything. I've done it with anything from hendricks or lagavulin 16 to the cheap stuff. It's totally gross with whiskey - it seems to make it taste like you're drinking rotten fruit juice. But I disagree with the quicker part - I put up with the "this does not taste good" factor because it helps me pace myself better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Just chew on a lump of grass with your bog mummy squeezin's why don't you?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Brawnfire posted:

room temperature air

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

More Laphroaig

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Not a mixer, but ‘the laphroaig project’ is an excellent cocktail

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Brawnfire posted:

Ti-D-Bowl with a 1000 Flushes garnish

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Diet grape or orange soda is my go-to mixer for anything. I've done it with anything from hendricks or lagavulin 16 to the cheap stuff. It's totally gross with whiskey - it seems to make it taste like you're drinking rotten fruit juice. But I disagree with the quicker part - I put up with the "this does not taste good" factor because it helps me pace myself better.

Just drink cheap liquor with your soda you maniacs.

Content:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus gently caress :stare:
I've had Cristal once. When some rich realtor who would close deals at our restaurant was celebrating. He bough the kitchen/staff two bottles. It was ok.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

any booze above a certain price threshold stops being about quality and starts being about scarcity. I'm sure it's good but it's not significantly better than an $80 bottle which is still expensive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My most hedonistic, excessive purchase in my life was a bottle of 25 year old Glenlivet, a Scotch older than I was at the time, on the occasionof by far the largest paycheck I'd ever had. Lovely drink, shared it carefully with close friends over the course of a year, came in a very nice wood box. Wouldn't do it again, but I don't regret doing.

Also an order of magnitude cheaper than that McCallan.

https://youtu.be/SBtjtaB-fjg

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Exactly. I can go to Trader Joe's and point at an $80 Macallan and say that it really is worth 8 times the $10 cooking whiskey a couple of shelves down, or three times a really decent 10-year Highland. It's absolutely worth twice the $40 Balvennie.

But much above that and you're paying for scarcity and snob appeal.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Whiskey snobs are the worst, even worse than wine snobs.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Brawnfire posted:

crystal pepsi from the same year as the laphroaig, if older is not feasible

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mllaneza posted:

Exactly. I can go to Trader Joe's and point at an $80 Macallan and say that it really is worth 8 times the $10 cooking whiskey a couple of shelves down, or three times a really decent 10-year Highland. It's absolutely worth twice the $40 Balvennie.

But much above that and you're paying for scarcity and snob appeal.

Trader Joe's is great because it proves that $30 -$50 bourbon should cost $15. Most bourbon snobs aren't ready to talk about how 90% of their favorite brands are made by Midwest Grain Products and aged for the legal minimum in the cheapest barrels available and that a good portion of the price comes from their custom bottle shape.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The upper limit for spirits is about $100. Above that you get rapidly diminishing returns. Even additional aging isn’t necessarily a net good; bourbon aged in an environment like Kentucky can be hard to drink at 20 years while a scotch aged in the cool highland climate is great.

The exception to this is vodka. The absolute most you should pay is like $30 and anything above that is probably a scam.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

chitoryu12 posted:

The upper limit for spirits is about $100. Above that you get rapidly diminishing returns. Even additional aging isn’t necessarily a net good; bourbon aged in an environment like Kentucky can be hard to drink at 20 years while a scotch aged in the cool highland climate is great.

The exception to this is vodka. The absolute most you should pay is like $30 and anything above that is probably a scam.

That's because whiskey improves as flavor is added through leaching poo poo out of wood, which you can't really rush. Vodka is improved by being as flavorless as humanly possible, and we've gotten a lot better at that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
had a shot of this at a bar once, it was 200 bux for one shot:

really good, and someone else paid for it, would have another free shot again.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

However much tap water is required to make the kitchen stop stinking after you pour it down the drain.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
A couple of classic American salads for you:

Is this Kraft? It has to be Kraft right

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Not enough ranch to be a salad

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

That one wasnt supposed to be salad that's why I put a new line :eng99:

lol tho

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Chicken fried steak counts as a salad now? gently caress yeah! Haven't had chicken fried steak in a long rear end time, really craving it now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ll take free expensive whiskey but no loving way is an $80 bottle bringing me more enjoyment for my money than $12.99 for bottom shelf vodka and $3 each for some mixers.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

That’s gravy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

dog nougat posted:

Chicken fried steak counts as a salad now? gently caress yeah! Haven't had chicken fried steak in a long rear end time, really craving it now.

Ditto, I miss road trips where I'd stop at some lovely truck-stop diner and demolish a manhole-cover sized chicken fried steak and peppercorn gravy

The car farts were so worth it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
For every Rural Americana pic i post i scroll by a hundred of these btw

I love biscuits and gravy... If they have even been in the same loving room as sausage or black pepper

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Irn bru

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ll take free expensive whiskey but no loving way is an $80 bottle bringing me more enjoyment for my money than $12.99 for bottom shelf vodka and $3 each for some mixers.

Early Times whiskey is surprisingly delicious, and it's only like. $10

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Manuel Calavera posted:

how early we talking about?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

No. It's loving gross actually.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dog nougat posted:

Since that guy told us salad means "salted thing" the salad category has really opened up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a noticeable improvement in taste from the $10 scotch to the $18/$20$25 bottles, and again at $40 and $80. The $80 lasts about three month, with a shot now and then on notable occasions.

For vodka, TJs Vodka of the Gods is $10 for a 1.75L handle. It compares well to Smirnoff. Admiral Josephs gin is $8 for a fifth, compares well to mid-tier gins.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dog nougat posted:

No. It's loving gross actually.

All whisky is gross.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheAardvark posted:

For every Rural Americana pic i post i scroll by a hundred of these btw

I love biscuits and gravy... If they have even been in the same loving room as sausage or black pepper

goddamn sorry west coast y'all suck at southern food and yall do a pretty good job with a lot of other poo poo.

But every southern dish from the west coast has been a bland, floury disappointment. Closest I got was a decent chicken fried steak at a bougie brunch place that closed permanently here in Vegas, which was about at the "plastic table cloth diner" level quality.

I need "roll of paper towels on the table diner" quality southern food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Look what I happened upon today at Jungle Jim's

Having just steamed 12 of the spicy kind, I think I can safely say that they're disappointing.

What I've determined over the last year of collecting Korean ramen like Pokemon, is that the noodles make or break it. Korean ramen packets have a great chew to them, which was missing from the dumplings (and also from the bowl style varieties which unfortunately use a noodle with a texture similar to Cup of Noodles).

The filling also contributed to making the flavor a lot milder flavor with the heat only really kicking in like an aftertaste instead of being the flavor as it is with the ramen.

There also was just something missing to the flavor. I didn't have any sauces on hand, and I'm not sure what to pair it with, as soy sauce just made it too salty.

Now the back of the bag did have instructions to make a soup, boil for 5-6 minutes in broth with vegetables, which would probably be pretty loving good.