Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

SplitSoul posted:

And only for a year, so we can start this whole thing over next pandemic.

What the gently caress, just make the change permanent already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

I was going to say "no one is stupid enough to start up a new mink farm given the political events of this year", but yeah no. Of course someone is stupid enough to do exactly that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I wish the Swedish government would stop beating around the bush when it comes to covid restrictions.

You want a unicorn pony with that? That ship has sailed and sweden is 100% in the head-in-sand ostrich camp.

KozmoNaut posted:

I was going to say "no one is stupid enough to start up a new mink farm given the political events of this year", but yeah no. Of course someone is stupid enough to do exactly that.

there's gonna be a SARS-CoV-3 at some point so yeah

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

KozmoNaut posted:

Vi' traditionsbundne folk, i traditionernes land, så vi hygger os - lisså fint vi kan.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kamrat posted:

What the gently caress, just make the change permanent already.

Reminder that they halted culling of infected mink for months, probably because of the lobby, which then still essentially called for toppling the government when they finally culled them. By then several hundred people working with mink had been infected. Venstre voted against the ban, because they've yet to reach a deal for compensating the animal abusers. Every loving day there's another news story about how angry and sad they are that the government eventually put the health of its citizens first.

KozmoNaut posted:

One guy on the news had bought his farm during the pandemic.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 21, 2020

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

sweden is 100% in the head-in-sand ostrich camp.
We were from the start, and it's infuriating that our approach is still practically "if we ignore it it will go away".

The only thing Sweden has done right (or at least better than many others - we could still do better) is some of the economic support like korttidspermittering and removing karensdagen, but we've utterly failed at taking any measure against the actual spread.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

SplitSoul posted:

Reminder that they halted culling of infected mink for months, probably because of the lobby, which then still essentially called for toppling the government when they finally culled them. By then several hundred people working with mink had been infected. Venstre voted against the ban, because they've yet to reach a deal for compensating the animal abusers. Every loving day there's another news story about how angry and sad they are that the government eventually put the health of its citizens first.

Just shut it down and give them an even smaller or no compensation for being asshats about all of this. Do people really care about what they say, I mean regular people or is it just a small group of people being loud?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kamrat posted:

Do people really care about what they say, I mean regular people or is it just a small group of people being loud?

They managed to make support for the culling drop from a majority by like 20 percentage points through complete media saturation.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Kamrat posted:

Do people really care about what they say, I mean regular people or is it just a small group of people being loud?

I think business owners crying crocodile tears to gain sympathy is the basis of a lot of the liberal/right wing popular support. Media trying their darnest to make these concerns seem legitimate should take a lot of the blame.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

there's gonna be a SARS-CoV-3 at some point so yeah
I'm going to be perpetually isolated at home, from March this year until forever, aren't I.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
At least we just closed the border. Last time Denmark had a lockdown (and closed borders to Sweden) we left them open, so that all of Copenhagen could do their shopping here instead.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

SplitSoul posted:

They managed to make support for the culling drop from a majority by like 20 percentage points through complete media saturation.

Mr. Sickos posted:

I think business owners crying crocodile tears to gain sympathy is the basis of a lot of the liberal/right wing popular support. Media trying their darnest to make these concerns seem legitimate should take a lot of the blame.

Wow, people really are gullible, I mean these are mostly rich or well off people that's certainly going to be fine even if they shut the farms down without compensation for the owners.

I'm sure there's some scrappy guys out there and they got my sympathy even though their line of work is questionable at best but I'm willing to bet that's far from the majority.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm going to be perpetually isolated at home, from March this year until forever, aren't I.

Thanks Denmark

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kamrat posted:

Just shut it down and give them an even smaller or no compensation for being asshats about all of this. Do people really care about what they say, I mean regular people or is it just a small group of people being loud?

First they come for the mink farmers, and within two or three months it's the pig farmers and the cow farmers and at this time next year, no one living outside of Copenhagen will even be alive. This is what liberals/conservatives believe.

What's worse is that swine and chicken flu, along with the current epidemic teaches us that cunning livestock is not a terrible idea. But it's still completely and utterly unrealistic for many reasons

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

lilljonas posted:

Federlay was the golden child of C, a 100% purebred chairman of a ungdomsförbund product showing the way to a new, glorious libertarian C ("look he's gay, we're not your dad's old farmers' party!". He rose incredibly fast in the party, being voted into the Parliament for Stockholm, so at the centre of the new Stockholms-C, that were going to make a new libertarian option in Swedish politics. I think people really believed he had principles and stuff, until the highly publicised event where he was crying in the pew at Parliament over how voting for the new surveillance law was the worst thing anyone could do, and then he went and voted for it anyway. After that he lost a lot of the spotlight, and did the EU parliament semi-exile thing. He ran for leadership of ALDE and lost. He ran for leadership for the Renew Europe group and lost. He gradually became less and less relevant at home, especially as C toned down their libertarian streak.

So basically he had an incredibly steep career directly out of the youth association, and then fizzled out. So he kind of reminds me of Gustav Fridolin, if that makes sense?

E:

Googled and found this peak 2008 C sacrificing their values for Allianses:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/samhalle/a/VRgkeW/svikare

Hah what a tool.

Also lol at abandoning the farmers. Farmers are loving loaded in Sweden and Swedish Libertarians have no money or clout.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

You could just catch it like I did 2 weeks ago

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kamrat posted:

Wow, people really are gullible, I mean these are mostly rich or well off people that's certainly going to be fine even if they shut the farms down without compensation for the owners.

Actually a lot of them have huge debts 'cause it's expensive to set up and the price of pelts has plummeted in recent years, but then they hire cheap Eastern European labour and pay no mind to living conditions (of their labourers or their mink). Some of the army conscripts who were tasked with perpetrating the Mustelidomor wrote an open letter to the minister calling for a ban, it's beyond awful.

BonHair posted:

cunning livestock is not a terrible idea.

I agree. GMO brainiac cows now!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BonHair posted:

What's worse is that swine and chicken flu, along with the current epidemic teaches us that cunning livestock is not a terrible idea. But it's still completely and utterly unrealistic for many reasons

I wish we had brainless, ugly monsters that taste like bacon, so we didn't murder smart piggies and feel bad about it. :(

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

SplitSoul posted:

Actually a lot of them have huge debts 'cause it's expensive to set up and the price of pelts has plummeted in recent years, but then they hire cheap Eastern European labour and pay no mind to living conditions (of their labourers or their mink). Some of the army conscripts who were tasked with perpetrating the Mustelidomor wrote an open letter to the minister calling for a ban, it's beyond awful.

Oh well, I just assumed they where well off since many farmers are, anyway then they deserve no sympathy for other reasons, why haven't these people pivoted their business if it's so hard to make money, I mean instead of abusing minks they could be abusing chickens or other animals.

And why did that person you mentioned earlier open up a mink farm this year if it isn't that profitable, even if it wasn't covid season it seems like a dumb move

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Kamrat posted:

That's not generally the case. I'm not going to claim that there are no rich farmers that could weather their industry being shut down, but most farmers are in deep debt, and many are operating on a tight budget (for a business). Capitalism is doing a capitalism to them too, and they're on the resource extraction end of the food chain, so lots of the value created there is either going to the banks, or going to the various large companies that handle distribution. Much of the wealth held by the farmers is in their farms, which isn't worth much if their industry gets shut. You can't easily convert a mink farm into a swine farm.

That's not to say that a lot of farmers aren't right wing rear end in a top hat landlords exploiting imported labor, but viewed as actors under capitalism, they aren't (individually) big fish. They often can't walk away from their farms without getting hosed by the banks.

With regard to why the media are covering them sympathetically, farmers are the whiniest industry, and will shut down roads and drive their tractors to Copenhagen at the slightest whiff of a political move being made against them. The solidarity is admirable, even if the farmers don't think of it in those terms.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kamrat posted:

Thanks Denmark
Joke's on the rest of Denmark, because I'm feeling particularly misanthropic.

Rust Martialis posted:

You could just catch it like I did 2 weeks ago
I had a stage 3 cancer diagnosis a little under 5 years ago I received surgery, chemo-, and radiation-therapy for (my last checkup will be in July of next year), my BMI is way too high (though I'm steadily losing weight, at about 0.5kg/week), and I'm type-2 diabetic (see: former point about BMI, and the weight-loss that became necessary) - so I'm in at least three risk categories. :(

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Most western governments are also not dictatorships. Simple really.

China basically did five things on a countrywide scale:

1. Lockdowns with strict rules regarding who was allowed to leave their homes.

2. Shutting down domestic travel.

3. At various points closing the borders or requiring those entering the country to quarantine.

4. Mass testing and contact tracing (although I've heard that the latter was pretty half-assed).

5. Mandatory quarantine for everyone with the virus.

Western governments have done all that at various points.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
But often very halfhearted and inconsistently. The exceptions being NZ and Australia. You dont need a dictatorship to deal with Covid. And its not like Russia and Belarus set a stellar example. What you do need is politicans with the balls to follow through properly even if certain rich people bitch about their losses in the here and now. If we had kept our border closed over summer a lot of shops, clubs and restaurants could have stayed open. A lot people migth have kept their jobs.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Esran posted:

That's not generally the case. I'm not going to claim that there are no rich farmers that could weather their industry being shut down, but most farmers are in deep debt, and many are operating on a tight budget (for a business). Capitalism is doing a capitalism to them too, and they're on the resource extraction end of the food chain, so lots of the value created there is either going to the banks, or going to the various large companies that handle distribution. Much of the wealth held by the farmers is in their farms, which isn't worth much if their industry gets shut. You can't easily convert a mink farm into a swine farm.

Yeah you're probably right that their wealth is tied into assets, you learn something new every day. Sorry about that, I just misinterpreted some data.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hedenius posted:

4. Mass testing and contact tracing (although I've heard that the latter was pretty half-assed).
I mean, it doesn't have to be more than half-assed if you full-rear end mass testing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hedenius posted:

China basically did five things on a countrywide scale:

1. Lockdowns with strict rules regarding who was allowed to leave their homes.

2. Shutting down domestic travel.

3. At various points closing the borders or requiring those entering the country to quarantine.

5. Mandatory quarantine for everyone with the virus.

Western governments have done all that at various points.

You vastly overestimate (or want to believe it is so) the ability for a government to control its citizens.
Also, equating China with a Western democracy in terms of population control is really something (especially since China is hardly as monolithic as it might appear).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Government: ok guys could you like, tone down the whole "Christmas season is about shoving as many shoppers as possible into malls by promising huge sales" thing? Due to, like, the covid thing going on?

Swedish retailers: gently caress you dad lol you can't tell us what to do

https://www.aftonbladet.se/minekonomi/a/M35Olm/trots-fhms-uppmaning--inget-stopp-for-mellandagsrean

Svensk Handel literally saying that they won't follow the new restrictions, because they learned so much from Black Friday that they can handle a huge seasonal sale safely during peak Covid... by the magic of hosts telling people not to be crowded and signs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Retail in Denmark shuts down December 25th. I'm sure it's a date that was chosen because it just makes sense, not because Christmas shopping is Very Important to Our Way of Life.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I had a stage 3 cancer diagnosis a little under 5 years ago I received surgery, chemo-, and radiation-therapy for (my last checkup will be in July of next year), my BMI is way too high (though I'm steadily losing weight, at about 0.5kg/week), and I'm type-2 diabetic (see: former point about BMI, and the weight-loss that became necessary) - so I'm in at least three risk categories. :(
JFC. Wanna borrow my 6800?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiac posted:

You vastly overestimate (or want to believe it is so) the ability for a government to control its citizens.
Also, equating China with a Western democracy in terms of population control is really something (especially since China is hardly as monolithic as it might appear).
I don't even know what you're trying to say. And I'm not quite sure you know either.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Very excited about yet another example of liberal politicians being useless at handling this pandemic: Danish churches are being kept open for Christmas gatherings. Churches are apparently separately regulated from all other types of event, so while the cap is 10 on normal gatherings, churches get to stuff as many as they want onto the pews, as long as they can keep a 2 meter distance between visitors.

Church staff and some priests have pointed out that holding these gatherings is a great way to spread the disease, considering that people are going to be coming to church to sing. Unfortunately, priests only get to cancel events if their bishops agree, and the bishops would like to convey the blessings of Papa Nurgle onto the flock.

In a reasonable political environment, the government might have stepped in, told these people off, and closed the churches. Instead, the Very Serious People In Charge are recommending that individuals should stay home if they aren't bad enough dudes to face the disease, and advise that if you're worried, maybe you can hum with your mouth closed instead of singing.

Sweden was right to close the border.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Esran posted:

Very excited about yet another example of liberal politicians being useless at handling this pandemic: Danish churches are being kept open for Christmas gatherings. Churches are apparently separately regulated from all other types of event, so while the cap is 10 on normal gatherings, churches get to stuff as many as they want onto the pews, as long as they can keep a 2 meter distance between visitors.

Church staff and some priests have pointed out that holding these gatherings is a great way to spread the disease, considering that people are going to be coming to church to sing. Unfortunately, priests only get to cancel events if their bishops agree, and the bishops would like to convey the blessings of Papa Nurgle onto the flock.

In a reasonable political environment, the government might have stepped in, told these people off, and closed the churches. Instead, the Very Serious People In Charge are recommending that individuals should stay home if they aren't bad enough dudes to face the disease, and advise that if you're worried, maybe you can hum with your mouth closed instead of singing.

Sweden was right to close the border.
Luckily, churchgoers skew old.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And because of that adding another strain to the healthcare system, loving over a pot of nurses christmas. So once again the church is fygm. But hey the nurses got honninghjerter, so all is good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is the one time of year where people actually use the church though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

vuk83 posted:

But hey the nurses got honninghjerter, so all is good.

Talked to a SOSU-assistant earlier this year, the hospital gave them extra cake for all their hard work. Beyond parody.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's cool they'll get die in an induced coma in a repurposed office floor. as god intended, no doubt.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If God did not want people to die in comas, God would not have invented offices and floors. This is fairly basic theology.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let a thousand church doors open come what may. God will know his own. Amen

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finally this government is representing me. https://twitter.com/mattias_neo/status/1341723650660200450

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Beeswax posted:

If God did not want people to die in comas, God would not have invented offices and floors. This is fairly basic theology.

Or viruses. Hail Nurgle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Finally an issue that we all can agree on.