Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VR patch for MS Flight Sim drops tomorrow. Contrary to initial reports all headsets will be supported from the get go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfx_rF16Yc

e: head tracking only, no vr controller support

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Turin Turambar posted:

Who is the public for this, who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QdhqisKzM
And it seems a well executed thing, even.

This looks really slick. Seems like it would work great for training.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Abongination posted:

G2 is finally on its way in Australia, got a email saying estimate is the 23rd.

Cannot wait.

I am enjoying my G2 a lot but am having trouble with getting a consistent and reliable experience. Sometimes i've had to restart my PC to get my G2 to work at all, and getting games to work with it, especially if they don't support Windows Mixed Reality, is sometimes a pain. The G2 is suppose to be compatible with both SteamVR, and WMR, but my experience so far is that its SteamVR support is a crapshoot if it will work or not. It could also just be the games too, titles with both 2D and VR support seem to have the most trouble. And there may just be something on my end that I need to figure out in order to get VR working properly more consistently, cause right now i'm having to trouble shoot a lot even with games I got working before, but then I fire them up again and they just don't work all of a sudden.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

VR patch for MS Flight Sim drops tomorrow. Contrary to initial reports all headsets will be supported from the get go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfx_rF16Yc

e: head tracking only, no vr controller support

20fps baby let's goooooooooooooooooooo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fanatical just dropped a 'Build a Bundle' set of VR titles

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-vr-collection-build-your-own-bundle

What's must-haves / have-nots here?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm not sure there's anything worth buying there at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sprint Vector's pretty fun if you've got a tolerance for fast motion. The multiplayer is well and truly dead at this point, but there's plenty of courses to keep you happy for a bit and the armswinger-esque movement is great when you get a good momentum going.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-vr-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Generally pretty bad. Cosmic Trip is kinda interesting if it was free, but I think I only played it for 20 minutes. Deus Helix has decent reviews on Steam but it looks like most people only played it for an hour or 2. Seems like a filler puzzle game. Dungeons & Treasure VR is a voxel, procedurally generated roguelike. Again, reviewed ok but that genre burned me out real quick. I think that one is multiplayer which maybe would be fun for a little while.

If nothing is jumping out at you this deal is probably a skip unless you're looking for some cheap filler games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Polybius you heathens, that's a one-man dev who kicks rear end and is a goon. The game is the closest thing to being inside a 70's arcade machine.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
If you're a fan of retroesque graphics and British oddballosity then Polybius is fun oldschool arcade, though not quite as good as the rest of their catalogue (which holds a special place in my heart).

Not played any of the others, yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Alien Isolation is free to claim today from the Epic Games Store. Good VR title, especially for the price

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got some Xmas cash that I think I’m going to put towards a quest 2. I’ve had a Facebook account since you needed a .edu email address and had to go to thefacebook.com so I have made my peace with Mark and am prepared to face the bloodshed.

I am coming from a Rift CV1 which I love dearly, but I’m ready to upgrade. What are the coolest quest experiences that really play to its strengths that I can’t do with the CV1, or that it does much better than CV1?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you're interested in Grip racing, you might want their 5$ Nitro racing bundle instead:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/nitro-bundle
Has Redout enhanced, Grip, Project Cars, and a few other titles w/o VR.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Woo I managed to get a Quest 2 from B&H, if you're on the lookout for one I recommend getting on the nowinstock.net discord channel so you get a ping when something gets stocked. I think they got like one because I got my order through and it's out of stock again. gently caress yeah :woop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got some Xmas cash that I think I’m going to put towards a quest 2. I’ve had a Facebook account since you needed a .edu email address and had to go to thefacebook.com so I have made my peace with Mark and am prepared to face the bloodshed.

I am coming from a Rift CV1 which I love dearly, but I’m ready to upgrade. What are the coolest quest experiences that really play to its strengths that I can’t do with the CV1, or that it does much better than CV1?

Being fully wireless rules for big scale titles like Pistol Whip and Thrill of the Fight

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I've completely uninstalled then reinstalled OBS and it seems to work much better, in the sense that now when I have the preview window open, not actually recording yet, the gameplay isn't already choppy. And when I do hit record it is even kinda smooth... until like 4 seconds in then both CPU and GPU hits 100%. Guess I'll need to upgrade both :retrogames:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Alien Isolation is free to claim today from the Epic Games Store. Good VR title, especially for the price

I didn't know this had VR. :stare:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What is needed for the USB-C cable to do the oculus link stuff? I heard you don't necessarily need the official one but wasn't sure if I need a special type or if there's a recommended alternative one for using it as a link cable. I want to pick one up for sure but if I can avoid having to pay $80 for a USB cable that would be preferable.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I said come in! posted:

I didn't know this had VR. :stare:

Here's a link to the mod: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

Being a mod, it's not fully fleshed out, but it's implemented well enough that you can properly terrify yourself.

Turin Turambar posted:

Who is the public for this, who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QdhqisKzM
And it seems a well executed thing, even.

I'll bet the same sort of folks who are super into stuff like Farming Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, playing ATC in Microsoft Flight Simulator, etc. would enjoy the hell outta this.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Shine posted:

I'll bet the same sort of folks who are super into stuff like Farming Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, playing ATC in Microsoft Flight Simulator, etc. would enjoy the hell outta this.

Germans.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

explosivo posted:

What is needed for the USB-C cable to do the oculus link stuff? I heard you don't necessarily need the official one but wasn't sure if I need a special type or if there's a recommended alternative one for using it as a link cable. I want to pick one up for sure but if I can avoid having to pay $80 for a USB cable that would be preferable.

Just needs to be USB3.0. Pretty much all the amazon listings for a longer USB 3.0 cable with a C connector is going to have a review for use as a Quest 2 cable

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

canyoneer posted:

Just needs to be USB3.0. Pretty much all the amazon listings for a longer USB 3.0 cable with a C connector is going to have a review for use as a Quest 2 cable

Oh nice, I wasn't sure if there were different types that I needed to watch out for but this is good to hear. Seems like maybe the only issue is none of them have the L shaped connector like the official one has so it's maybe a bit janky where it connects to the headset.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

explosivo posted:

Oh nice, I wasn't sure if there were different types that I needed to watch out for but this is good to hear. Seems like maybe the only issue is none of them have the L shaped connector like the official one has so it's maybe a bit janky where it connects to the headset.

I got this one, and it does have the 90 degree conector. Works fine, it does have the little box with the booster in the middle but it hasn't been an issue for me. I needed one that was USB A-C, since my motherboard doesn't have a C port.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TVs Ian posted:

I got this one, and it does have the 90 degree conector. Works fine, it does have the little box with the booster in the middle but it hasn't been an issue for me. I needed one that was USB A-C, since my motherboard doesn't have a C port.

Thanks, this looks like a winner!

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Portability. I did too and playing games like Thrill of the Fight, which looks better and you can move around with is a huge boon. Virtual Desktop is a game changer too to be able to play PCVR in spaces away from your PC.

explosivo posted:

Need a USB 3.0 and to get to a good length it pretty much needs to be an active extender. Use something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8

Then a GOOD A to C cable. Make sure its rated for full speed 3.1, it makes a difference.

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah this is good though I mildly prefer the two-piece route so you don't need to replace the whole thing if something happens.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Marxalot posted:

That's not a terrible idea if you want something -now- but 5600xs are faster and somewhat easy to get if you're willing to sit in a few lovely discords with everyone but their notification bot muted.
I only had to wait like a week after release to cop a 5900x off Amazon.

I can update this post with a few links if people want them, but it'll have to wait till I get off work and can dig through discord logs.

Hey so, how would a Ryzen 7 3700x work out? Looking at some comparisons, the 5600x is looking to be a 10% improvement over the 7 3700x. If I valued my "get now" time at an extra 40 bucks, is it worth grabbing?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/beat-saber-ost-4-2021/

“The theme of OST 4 should be guitars and synthetic guitars because it feels like we have a lot of electronic music in the game, a lot of music packs from different music styles,” Beck said. “But really there isn’t anything kind of metal-ish and I thought that some of you may like this. For me it’s a big challenge because I always wanted to do a metal song.”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well they can’t botch it worse than the timbaland tracks

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sea of losers posted:

idk if this is common knowledge but there is a website called beatsage.com that will autogenerate beatsaber levels from mp3s or youtubes

ive started posting runs of the songs i put in, perhaps in the hopes that a mapper will like the tune and map it. theres way too much camilla nightcore bullshit

I expected mediocre but playable results, but pitifully it doesn't even reached that, I tried but the generated track flat out sucked. It produced a song with less than 1 bps, and not even recognized some obvious moments where it could have put put a block, like a drum in a mostly silent part.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Got the Quest 2, bluetooth headphones, neck fans, and silicone face shield interface thing. I'll probably get a power pack once I stop being lazy and setup wirelessly connecting to my PC. What else should I mount around my head and shoulders to get really ridiculous?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lozareth posted:

Got the Quest 2, bluetooth headphones, neck fans, and silicone face shield interface thing. I'll probably get a power pack once I stop being lazy and setup wirelessly connecting to my PC. What else should I mount around my head and shoulders to get really ridiculous?

look at this chump without a force feedback vest

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’m new to vr and my quest 2. What the heck are the neck fans for

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neck sweat

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Chadzok posted:

look at this chump without a force feedback vest

Make sure you get the catheter and rectal thermometer combo attachment too.

But really the knuckle straps are pretty awesome for “throwing”

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Dear Watson posted:

I’m new to vr and my quest 2. What the heck are the neck fans for

They keep my face cool enough that I can play 10+ songs in Beat Saber instead of 3 with my enormously flabby neckbearded body before the headset fills with sweat. One of my beard hairs just got painfully sucked into a fan in the middle of a song but still so worth it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1079800/Pistol_Whip/

Pistol Whip is $20 on Steam right now. If you're a Quest user, you probably want to buy it on Quest store instead because wireless owns bones and you do not want any latency in this game.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lozareth posted:

They keep my face cool enough that I can play 10+ songs in Beat Saber instead of 3 with my enormously flabby neckbearded body before the headset fills with sweat. One of my beard hairs just got painfully sucked into a fan in the middle of a song but still so worth it.

I wish these neck fans would sync to game movement, would be really immersive to have them start blowing full blast when you're running in a game.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

KinkyJohn posted:

This is what I've been looking for! Is it relatively stable? Can it export to other formats?

That was my first question too. And my next one, wow, two for two.

RE: Other formats, devs say yes: Dev Saying Yes

And RE: Stable: No crashes yet, and that's saying a lot for my setup. It's just the interface that just takes a serious session or two to get used to. But once you do? Holy hell. Future poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Turin Turambar posted:

I expected mediocre but playable results, but pitifully it doesn't even reached that, I tried but the generated track flat out sucked. It produced a song with less than 1 bps, and not even recognized some obvious moments where it could have put put a block, like a drum in a mostly silent part.

yeah its not great for everything, at least not yet, its very much worth enabling all the difficulties because sometimes normal is very hard or expert+ is the only one with 2bps. ive been uploading videos of tracks i think it works at least somewhat well with. another thing to consider is that i dont think it will make the same level twice from the same song