Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
the hoops to jump through are there for the same reason rebates are mailed in: they're hoping most people won't bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ford standing there like someone took his batteries out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

it's perversely fascinating to watch ford get owned by an actual crisis. he definitely seems like he didn't think he'd have to do actual work when he ran for premier.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's awful. Not just for contracting out, but for contracting out to america where our privacy laws do not apply, and some of their privacy laws don't apply to foreigners. That american company will happily hand over records to the NSA or CIA or whoever. Contracting out confidential records to a foreign country is insane.

Does Nova Scotia not have a personal health information regulation similar to that of Ontario? For example, section 12 requires the custodian of personal health information to ensure that information from being accessed through unauthorized use. If that info is being transmitted to a third party to which has access to that information (but is not bound by the regulation, such as the USA), it would be a violation of said regulation

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/04p03#BK19

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Change my vote, he looks more like an inaction figure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Change my vote, he looks more like an inaction figure

realistic dithering action!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you shouldn't have to apply for the $500 but even if it was automatic based on 2019 taxes or even something like MSP registration on file we'd still be hearing from people who don't file taxes, don't have a printer or computer to file taxes, live 300km from the nearest corner store where they could use the internet/print those things off, don't have documents to confirm their identity to file taxes, etc etc

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Guigui posted:

Does Nova Scotia not have a personal health information regulation similar to that of Ontario? For example, section 12 requires the custodian of personal health information to ensure that information from being accessed through unauthorized use. If that info is being transmitted to a third party to which has access to that information (but is not bound by the regulation, such as the USA), it would be a violation of said regulation

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/04p03#BK19

We do. I'm sure the contractors claim adherence, and maybe they'll say they'll use an AWS region that's in Canada instead of us-east1 (lol), but in practice I doubt the information will stay entirely in Canada.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

pokeyman posted:

We do. I'm sure the contractors claim adherence, and maybe they'll say they'll use an AWS region that's in Canada instead of us-east1 (lol), but in practice I doubt the information will stay entirely in Canada.

While I agree with you, it's not like our domestic companies are very careful with our data

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is definitely some inconsistency. While the website said I'd need all those things, the application never asked me for them. It asked me for my SIN, driver's licence #, bank account, address, and a particular line from my 2019 tax return. That's it. I don't have a driver's licence so I clicked the no got 'em box, assuming it would ask more for something else instead, but nope. Easy peasy.

It could be because I'm already getting money from provincial disability. So my SIN, tax return, bank info, address, and the fact that I don't have a driver's licence matches the information they already have on file for me. And of course as a goon I am very comfortable using my desktop PC to fill out online forms.

My mom is not comfortable filling out online forms, so I totally didn't commit fraud and fill out the form for her. It asked her for the same things it had asked me, not the laundry list of things it could have requested. Which is great, because she's been staying with me since March and none of the utility bills are in her name. While she's getting senior citizen money now, she does still get the $55 a month BC transportation supplement from when she was on disability, so again all her info is on file with the government.

So I guess if you don't have all that stuff try filling out the application anyway, maybe you'll get lucky. :shrug: If you know some old or muddled people who don't have online access or aren't comfortable with online forms, maybe offer to help them out so they don't have to try to navigate phone tree hell.

It seems that the government is sending these emails requesting additonal documentation after the application has been submitted. So the application form you completed is just step 1.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Goosed it. posted:

It seems that the government is sending these emails requesting additonal documentation after the application has been submitted. So the application form you completed is just step 1.

:argh:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
is it asking for them from everyone? CRA standard operating procedure is to ask for supporting docs when you hit certain thresholds and/or i believe there's a random factor as well so maybe this BC thing will work that way?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Bad news about airports though

i'm a prophet

abloobloo there are airports and trudope is letting people in, therefore we must have boxing day sales or the poor merchants will get stuck with INVENTORY

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

is it asking for them from everyone? CRA standard operating procedure is to ask for supporting docs when you hit certain thresholds and/or i believe there's a random factor as well so maybe this BC thing will work that way?

I'm not sure. It seems to be impacting a fair number of people. The email requesting additional documentation also states that it will be take up to 30 days once the documents are receive for the application to be fully processed. So, at the very least the NDP's statement that people would get the money before Christmas appears to be very wrong.

Edit:

It appears some people are getting through with no issue.

https://twitter.com/ChristyBistyy/status/1341044367989956608?s=20

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

infernal machines posted:

it's perversely fascinating to watch ford get owned by an actual crisis. he definitely seems like he didn't think he'd have to do actual work when he ran for premier.

I honestly have no hope that he will even lose the next election after seeing how popular he was last year

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I'm so glad I can still go to the mall before christmas. God bless you Doug ford. Covid for everyone this year!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FormaldehydeSon posted:

I honestly have no hope that he will even lose the next election after seeing how popular he was last year

me neither although as of the beginning of the month his approval rating had dropped from 69% in may to 55%

what extent that would trickle down to local voting i couldn't guess

also by the time there's an election everyone will be vaccinated and the province will be open and they'll just point to number number going up imo

more curious in my mind is whether horwath will oversee a gain or loss of seats, i have to assume the latter but would love to be surprised

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Goosed it. posted:

I'm not sure. It seems to be impacting a fair number of people. The email requesting additional documentation also states that it will be take up to 30 days once the documents are receive for the application to be fully processed. So, at the very least the NDP's statement that people would get the money before Christmas appears to be very wrong.

Edit:

It appears some people are getting through with no issue.

https://twitter.com/ChristyBistyy/status/1341044367989956608?s=20

yeah, I just punched in the final taxable income line from my 2019 tax return and got that exact email the next day. no need for any supporting documentation.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

As someone living in Ontario I would absolutely love filling out a standard government form to get free money to be my biggest problem :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in which the government of canada funds neo-nazis, this time not in ukraine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Why is it that whenever an anti-Trudeau hashtag is trending I know it's insane conservatives angry he's not horrible enough?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A resounding condemnation by the deputy prime minister

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Starks posted:

A resounding condemnation by the deputy prime minister

fuckin lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

DariusLikewise posted:

one of the coolest things conservatives and liberals have ingrained into people is that government is slowing, plodding, indecisive and inefficient. despite the fact the government ties your income to a number and uses that to come after you for not paying enough taxes we cant use that number to automatically enrol people in helpful programs that apply to them because of ??????????? horgan is a loving embarrassment and its fine if you voted for him because he was the least evil or whatever but you are a lovely person if you ever tried to put him on a pedestal

Don't blame me, I voted for Wilkinson! Those were logs on that truck I saw them I don't care what the loony lefties say :argh:

But seriously it's pretty indefensible that they'd gently caress this up during Xmas, like this isn't the time to half rear end things

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
RACE TO THE BOTTOM RACE TO THE BOTTOM

https://twitter.com/WabKinew/status/1341582347062235138?s=20

seriously how much of a loving ghoul do you have to be to cut entry level wages during a loving pandemic

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the worst thing about this pandemic, besides all the actual suffering, is having to see doug ford's stupid fat face in youtube's breaking news every morning

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
All I'm seeing is Elmer Fudd.

https://twitter.com/erinotoole/status/1342228809576148993?s=19

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm seeing elmer fudd but hearing porky pig, for some reason

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
God even his house is boring.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
lol hes 47

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think he has to yell at the dog or kids more for them to stay posed for a photo op?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

xtal posted:

Do you think he has to yell at the dog or kids more for them to stay posed for a photo op?

kids. he delegates the dog yelling to them

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

God damnit, I just found out my cousin in Ottawa is an anti-masker. Real bummer, last time I saw him he was an NDP guy who mostly just cared about legalizing weed :(

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

A Russian troll farm posted:

God damnit, I just found out my cousin in Ottawa is an anti-masker. Real bummer, last time I saw him he was an NDP guy who mostly just cared about legalizing weed :(

I've got some pretty left leaning friend in my past that are now leaning that way, and getting some of the Q poo poo rolled into their thinking as well. I blew up on one on FB then put him in ignore. It's getting tiresome.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

yo this poo poo fuckin sucks

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/COVIDNS/status/1342951044117094400?s=19

Well piss

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
how serious is this new mutation actually? it's more contagious but not more severe, correct?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

prom candy posted:

how serious is this new mutation actually? it's more contagious but not more severe, correct?

I think so, the big thing I remember is that the vaccine will still work on the new strain too, so that's a load off

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
It's like a -nice- little sprint before the end! A proper 3rd act ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Danaru posted:

I think so, the big thing I remember is that the vaccine will still work on the new strain too, so that's a load off

Yeah that's the understanding at this point. Some epidemiologists have posited that it might not be more infectious but just had perfect circumstances for spread with schools remaining opening with few safety measures during the 2nd lockdown but it seems most are suggesting it is more infectious. It's not 100% but that's the more prudent assumption at this time.