Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I don't think we'd be compatible at all!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Post/avatar combo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Skwirl posted:

I hate this poo poo. Like, just make a game where you don't have to do this poo poo. Make it the harder path if you like bragging about "branching paths."

I also make sure to strictly follow my own real-life morals when playing in video game worlds. (The people who made Crazy Taxi never responded to my bug report that there wasn't time to finish any of the missions, assuming of course that you always drive your taxi safely and responsibly.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Powered Descent posted:

I also make sure to strictly follow my own real-life morals when playing in video game worlds. (The people who made Crazy Taxi never responded to my bug report that there wasn't time to finish any of the missions, assuming of course that you always drive your taxi safely and responsibly.)

Don't have the word "punk" in your game's title if part of the game is working with cops.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Skwirl posted:

Don't have the word "punk" in your game's title if part of the game is working with cops.

:capitalism:

There is nothing that cannot be commodified beyond recognition.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Powered Descent posted:

this is a bad post and you should feel bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Cyberpunk angle was a big selling point of the game. People being unhappy it doesn’t really exist seems fair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, it's not like Crazy Taxi was titled "Safe and Sensible Taxi"

There's an ambulance driving game where if you don't drive safely the guy you're bringing to the hospital dies, if that's the type of game you want.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Cyberpunk angle was a big selling point of the game. People being unhappy it doesn’t really exist seems fair.

I just want a game where I can be a cyber gandalf and also NCPD jobs should take away from street cred btw

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

orange juche posted:

I just want a game where I can be a cyber gandalf and also NCPD jobs should take away from street cred btw

Why? They're just another gang.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Skwirl posted:

I admit I haven't played the game, but I don't see why that has to be contradictory. In a cyberpunk techno-crapsack world, the cops are probably just another faction, so a mercenary like the player character might well end up working for them for a while, if the pay is good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Powered Descent posted:

It’s an RPG with a blank slate protagonist, this is absolutely what a lot of people do.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
boot licking is very punk yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I could have had a compatible AND knowledgeable friend? :(

The knowledge is all about the intricacies of the feet he was jackin it to.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Glad every thread is now the "talk about video game" thread

https://twitter.com/Twitch/status/1340346038297628672?s=19

If you have to make this distinction, your rule is dumb

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

christmas boots posted:

Why? They're just another gang.

Then I should be able to innately hack them into committing suicide like I do any other gang. And they probably shouldn't magically spawn out of nowhere directly in front of me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Good thing there's never been any big cyberpunk genre films or books with a cop as the protagonist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m going to guess those books aren’t him just doing his job like some 9-5

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m going to guess those books aren’t him just doing his job like some 9-5

But if that that were true, it would make Mega Comrade look really foolish!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mega Comrade posted:

Good thing there's never been any big cyberpunk genre films or books with a cop as the protagonist.

Do those characters enjoy their job? And how many of them are still cops at the end?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

How much Street Cred did Deckard earn from murdering all those replicants

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cernunnos posted:

Then I should be able to innately hack them into committing suicide like I do any other gang. And they probably shouldn't magically spawn out of nowhere directly in front of me.

These are fair criticisms and I hope that future patches address these shortcomings.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

you would be surprised at how many people think Blade Runner is a cyberpunk film

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

boar guy posted:

you would be surprised at how many people think Blade Runner is a cyberpunk film

A friend of mine recently described Blade Runner as 'a cyberpunk story from the perspective of the one guy it isn't a cyberpunk story for'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone make a structure/ingredient alignment chart for cyberpunk

Bottom right: Harry Potter is cyberpunk

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

A friend of mine recently described Blade Runner as 'a cyberpunk story from the perspective of the one guy it isn't a cyberpunk story for'.

its a cyberpunk setting but the protagonist being a cop is antithetical to the premise

there's no hacking/illicit information access/cyberspace component to it either

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you can argue Decker isn’t really the protagonist. Kind of like Max in Mad Max

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

boar guy posted:

I tend to put it in that category mentally because of the setting even though you're right that the plot doesn't really adhere to that

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

boar guy posted:

its a cyberpunk setting but the protagonist being a cop is antithetical to the premise

there's no hacking/illicit information access/cyberspace component to it either

Deckard isn't reeeeally a cop, he's exploited/blackmailed by the cops and used as a tool to do their dirty work.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/_jadeisabelle/status/1340400210304925699

In between picking scraps of cloth out of dumpsters to make crude smocks I'll be making lattes! I am very intelligent!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Deckard isn't reeeeally a cop, he's exploited/blackmailed by the cops and used as a tool to do their dirty work.

eh, he acts with a cop's authority and in the sequel his partner pretty much confirms that he was A Cop

and then joe, in the sequel, is even more explictly A Cop

cyberpunk is about bucking the system. even gibson's stuff that includes ex cops or ex military as protagonists has them pretty explicitly become criminals as plots unfold but blade runner's are both working to maintain the status quo

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Cleretic posted:

That's the description I like for Ghost in the Shell. Cyberpunk, but you're watching the cops' side of it (for part of it, until they inevitably go rogue).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Never trust a cop, especially if you are the cop.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That's the description I like for Ghost in the Shell. Cyberpunk, but you're watching the cops' side of it (for part of it, until they inevitably go rogue).

ghost in the shell is pretty fucken fash, for as out there conceptually as the transhuman parts of it are

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

There's a genre for Bladerunner, basically technological dystopia with post human elements and old film shorthand that is specifically not about underclass uprisings or breakdowns in the social order, Technoir. Stuff like Terminator and Brazil fit there too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

boar guy posted:

eh, he acts with a cop's authority and in the sequel his partner pretty much confirms that he was A Cop

and then joe, in the sequel, is even more explictly A Cop

cyberpunk is about bucking the system. even gibson's stuff that includes ex cops or ex military as protagonists has them pretty explicitly become criminals as plots unfold

I don't necessarily think that Blade Runner is cyberpunk, but like the whole premise of the movie is Deckard realising that the system is a exploitative nightmare, that he's murdering people and eventually that he needs to escape it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't necessarily think that Blade Runner is cyberpunk, but like the whole premise of the movie is Deckard realising that the system is a exploitative nightmare, that he's murdering people and eventually that he needs to escape it.

that's...not my reading of the film at all. you're welcome to it, though :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

boar guy posted:

that's...not my reading of the film at all. you're welcome to it, though :)

That's like the explicit text of the movie?

What is your reading on Blade Runner?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That's like the explicit text of the movie?

What is your reading on Blade Runner?

pretty much what the author said about it: "The purpose of this story as I saw it was that in his job of hunting and killing these replicants, Deckard becomes progressively dehumanized. At the same time, the replicants are being perceived as becoming more human. Finally, Deckard must question what he is doing, and really what is the essential difference between him and them? And, to take it one step further, who is he if there is no real difference?"

or any of the themes listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Blade_Runner. the movie is about what being human means

it's not really about deckard coming to realize that his place in the system isn't good or that the system is broken. he knows that in the beginning, when his partner has to bring heavies with him to get him to come in to talk to his boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://twitter.com/_jadeisabelle/status/1340400210304925699

In between picking scraps of cloth out of dumpsters to make crude smocks I'll be making lattes! I am very intelligent!

Reading the replies that commune is going to have a heck of a lot of tarot readers and counsellors. At least this lady has one materially useful job among the fluff.