Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Taerkar posted:

Nah, he broke the record for the most votes for a losing candidate.

And the record for the greatest negative vote margin by a winning candidate.

And "most terms served by a two-time popular vote loser".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Trump had huge incredible ratings too remember

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

As a boatgoon you would know.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t have a lot of crazy right wing CHUDS on my Facebook page but the ones I have really post some beauties. This appears to be an insight into the “4D Chess” theory of Trump.

quote:

So the SCOTUS said no. They won't hear the case. Cue crazy leftists and their inane celebrations. You're probably pissed off by now because you thought the SCOTUS was going to take this case.
Some of you on here can vouch for this, but I've stated a few times that the SCOTUS may throw this case out and that, if they did, Trump never needed them to begin with.

This is an easy one to explain.

When it comes to elections there is no HIGHER or FINAL authority than the state legislatures. No, not even the Supreme Court has the final say in this, believe it or not. In all of this where is Trump? He's quiet. Where is Sidney Powell? Lin Wood? Rudy? Jenna?

An hour has passed and no one said anything on twitter about it. What if I told you Trump knew this case would get thrown out? He had to know this and I'll tell you why. One of Trump's lawyers is Mark Levin's wife. The Levin's are leading authorities on constitutional law.

Why is this important? Because the Texas filing was weak. Their argument was REALLY weak, so weak that both of the Levin's would have told Trump days ago that this case wasn't going to get heard. In fact...Mark Levin DID say it wasn't going to get heard on his radio show...all week long and he was right.

Justice Alito was right in his decision. He argued that the state of Texas wasn't, in so many words, as serious about a resolution as they pretended to be. He said there weren't "interested" in real resolution...and he was right.

He stated that just as in Arizona vs California 589 U.S. where they disputed over the distribution over the water from the colorado river, the actions of what state cannot disenfranchise the actions of another.

In other words Texas can't say they were wronged because they voted for Trump and PA voted for Biden, even if the laws were illegal. One state cannot dictate the actions of another state otherwise we would have precedence for no individuality of states.

They would all dispute over matters until EVERY state had the same laws...therefore simulating a federal regulation where it becomes national. The SCOTUS cannot set that precedence.

What would be next? California suing Nevada for having more favorable tax breaks, drawing California businesses to register there instead of California, disenfranchising the other taxpayers and programs in California that need the tax dollars (for example)?

Do you have any idea how bad it would be to make that precedence? When there is no competition there is tyranny.

Moving right along...

The state of Texas produced a weak argument. Trump knew this but he still pushed it. Why? Legal strategy. Here's what I mean...
In the legal process, the accuser has the greatest amount of pressure in the case. The accused is innocent by default so all of the pressure of proving their side rides on the accuser. At the same time, if the Judge throws the accuser's case out with prejudice, the accuser can't bring that complaint up again.

What I'm saying is the GREATEST risk to a case is to become the prosecutor. As a matter of fact, it's easier to DEFEND yourself than it is to PROVE that the person you accused is guilty.

Stay with me. It's long but I'm going somewhere...

So whoever brings the case first runs the highest risk of losing before they even have a chance to fight. Why is that important? Because Trump stands a better chance of winning this as a defendant than he does as an accuser.

Now comes the good part...

I've said this a thousand times and I'll say it again. Trump doesn't need the courts to win! He only needs for the state legislatures to do their jobs! And...if he gets a SCOTUS hearing that's just icing on the cake. Now let me tell you what is about to happen.
I thought for a while that one of two things would happen.
1, SCOTUS would hear this first cast. 2, SCOTUS would NOT hear the first case but they may or may not hear the second case.

We're having this chat so option 1 didn't happen.

So here's what's going to happen. The state legislatures will be pissed. They will feel as if THEY have been disenfranchised, and either on Monday or January 6th (when Congress count the votes) the state legislatures will CHANGE their certifications to Trump, those 4 states (maybe even AZ and NV too).

This will cause an internal legal battle within the states.

By article 2 second 2 of the constitution, the state legislatures have the final say on who they want to certify as the winner of their states. Well this will piss off the Governors who all have illegally certified the states and illegally passed state laws that strip the state legislatures of their article 2 second 2 powers.

The states will say "we have the right, we're not backing down" and the Governor's AG will say "see you in court."

Now comes that second scenario I talked about. The SCOTUS is in a pickle. They don't have the authority to tell the state legislatures to ignore the constitution and follow federal law. Federal law is automatically overridden by the constitution.

So they can do one of two things.
Take the case and no matter what they ruled, the state legislatures can ignore it since they have constitutional rights. Or the SCOTUS can do what I THINK they're going to do....throw the case out.

Now you can't say the SCOTUS was politicized since they threw out both cases. But in throwing OUT the case, they legitimize the state legislature's decisions. Trump wins.

But what if they take the case? Ok. Remember when I said that it's harder to win as an accuser than it is as a defendant? Well the AG of PA (for example) will have to explain why and how any federal law can override the constitution.

I'm betting 5 of those Justices will disagree with that and they can LITERALLY cite the constitution as precedence and final authority. Trump wins. I believe that the SCOTUS will keep out of this for sake of not showing partiality.

But if they DO get involved, it will be after January 6th where a constitutional crisis will exist and then they would need to step in and settle the matter in 3 possible ways.
1, Ignore the complaints, Trump wins...
2, Take the case, invalidate the elections, give it to the states to vote...Trump wins as we have a state majority of 26 or...
3, Take the case, order a nationwide audit and recertification. With all the fraud.....Trump wins.

In the end, Trump will win. You can roll these dice as many times as you want. The Constitution will win this election for Trump.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

that guy (or gal) (let's be honest: guy) thinks he's so loving smart lol

"precedence, precedence, precedence, judicial precedence"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

So here's what's going to happen. The state legislatures will be pissed. They will feel as if THEY have been disenfranchised, and either on Monday or January 6th (when Congress count the votes) the state legislatures will CHANGE their certifications to Trump, those 4 states (maybe even AZ and NV too).

This will cause an internal legal battle within the states.

NARRATOR: This will not happen.

For all this dude seems to know, which is a decent amount (he recognizes a state suing another state because "we don't like your state laws" would be a bad precedent which is more than most chuds), he doesn't seem to realize once the electors are chosen by the legislature, their part of the election process is done. They can't change the certifications because the state legislatures don't certify, the governor does. The state legislatures also don't go to DC on January 6th when Congress counts the votes so they wouldn't be able to do anything there either. Like, after the electors vote all you've got left is a hail mary for someone to submit a written objection to the electoral college results, which the House would definitely reject and the Senate seems like it will reject (according to Mitch anyway iirc).

quote:

By article 2 second 2 of the constitution, the state legislatures have the final say on who they want to certify as the winner of their states.

Not actually true. This is is what article 2 clause 2 says: "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector."

Once the legislatures choose their electors, they've had their say, they're done. And since almost every state has a state law requiring electors to vote for the winner of the popular vote within their state (which SCOTUS upheld this year), the legislatures can't do poo poo about that. The electors are beholden to state law to vote for Biden in those states where he won.

quote:

Well this will piss off the Governors who all have illegally certified the states and illegally passed state laws that strip the state legislatures of their article 2 second 2 powers.

The states were legally certified by the governors because the governors are who is required to certify, as per the USC. The state legislatures also have not been stripped of their article 2 clause 2 powers, because the state legislatures chose the electors.

I'm not sure what this guy thinks article 2 clause 2 (oh I'm sorry, "article 2 second 2" whatever that is) actually says or what laws he thinks were passed that illegally stripped them of their powers. I'm going to guess he thinks that the legislatures get to tell the electors who to vote for, which is of course not true, or that he thinks the legislatures have any say in the certification process, which is not true either.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This arguement is always great because there is a huge implication that every criminal on the planet has massive gang ties and have the both networking and access abilities to get smuggled guns rather than, idk, just buying a gun.

Or just break into the poster's truck and making off with three grand in hardware.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

“I don’t buy guns at stores. Everyone knows a nice homemade gun works better and just gives you that sense of satisfaction you never get from store bought.”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CuddleCryptid posted:

This arguement is always great because there is a huge implication that every criminal on the planet has massive gang ties and have the both networking and access abilities to get smuggled guns rather than, idk, just buying a gun.

Or just break into the poster's truck and making off with three grand in hardware.

The thing I always say is that if I ever own a gun, it immediately becomes the most valuable thing I own.

I don't even understand what a gun humper would be protecting with guns, because I've got $4 in my wallet, a 65" TV which would require two people to steal. I guess someone desperate could get $30 for my Playstation. If someone steals my lovely rear end car, I can get a new better one.

(yes, I am aware it's mostly just paranoia that a black person might live nearby)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t buy guns at a store I just take them from my parents Arsenal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
artisanal assault rifles

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing I always say is that if I ever own a gun, it immediately becomes the most valuable thing I own.

I don't even understand what a gun humper would be protecting with guns, because I've got $4 in my wallet, a 65" TV which would require two people to steal. I guess someone desperate could get $30 for my Playstation. If someone steals my lovely rear end car, I can get a new better one.

(yes, I am aware it's mostly just paranoia that a black person might live nearby)

You're not wrong. I guess my desktop computer is more expensive than any one of my guns but other than that you'd have to either steal my whole rear end car or a bunch of my wife's jewelry. Guns are *expensive*.

Which is again why its so funny to see people whining about government overreach not allowing them to make ends meet while carrying half a car's worth of metal on them.

I mean the one in the picture isn't a glock but those are the most prolific, and they are easily five hundred bucks.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"OK. I really don't give a poo poo how much respect or lack of respect you choose to show Biden."

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

That thing fascists conservatives do when they think we give a poo poo about our leaders in the same cult-like fashion that they give a poo poo about their leaders.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It really is all projection.

2008: "Heh heh...liberals think Obama is The One. Look at those lib zombies!"

2020: "Trump is my GEOTUS and he's at my command if he wants to spark a civil war!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

tek79 posted:

That thing fascists conservatives do when they think we give a poo poo about our leaders in the same cult-like fashion that they give a poo poo about their leaders.

Yep. Was having a discussion with a Trump supporter and he pulled out the "Hunter Biden is dirty and corrupt!!!!" to which I replied "Great, let's see what evidence there is and arrest him". ".... He got paid tons of money from Ukraine!!! He's so shady!!!".

This is why I never felt bad for anything that Trump got from the media. He called it down on himself, especially with the birther poo poo

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The cognitive dissonance between the way they (as in people who post poo poo like that) view the position of president during this century has been absolutely mindblowing.

2000-2008: Respect the office, not the man!
2008-2016: The President is a Muslim who wasn't born here and also a Nredacted
2016-2020: RESPECT THE PRESIDENT OR LEAVE THE COUNTRY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 18, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Actually the only person in those photos who may not deserve free college is the officer in the top one.
Because he deserves loan forgiveness.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Volunteer to die for nothing: free college
Volunteer to actually fight for something: decades of debt for college

"HURR DURR LOOK AT THEM LIBRALS ALL NOT WEARING CAMO AND SUNGLASSES AND poo poo LOL"

- A Turning Points USA meme

Edit: Speaking of which, do we know who pays Charlie Kirk's tuition, and has he ever served?

tek79 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 20, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s pretty amazing how all you need to do is put flag, freedom, and USA in your company name for republicans to take everything they say as complete truth.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s pretty amazing how all you need to do is put flag, freedom, and USA in your company name for republicans to take everything they say as complete truth.

Rush Limbaugh openly supported The Lord Resistance army for a bit (Joseph Kony's group) just because of the name somewhat.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2011-10-15/rush-limbaugh-says-obama-targeting-christians-fighting-lords-resistance-army

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

They want to give an Iraqi soldier free college? Here I was thinking TPUSA hated immigrants!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I don't know what thread to put mass mailers in but it feels appropriate here.

(That's not my hand, I just came across this in a group chat.)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

wizzardstaff posted:

That reminds me of the "check your Halloween candy, someone snuck the entire 1974 Steelers defensive lineup in my Snickers bar" memes.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

the borrowers are done taking poo poo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

That's a kitchen knife

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Invalid Validation posted:

One of the weirder moments I've experienced was several years ago when attending the Grand Old Opry during a visit to Nashville. It was otherwise a fun experience, with some good music, but there was one band (that I can't remember anything else about, including their name) whose nondescript song included one line each chorus, totally out of context with anything else discussed in the lyrics, mentioning "our boys going to war" or whatever. Every single time they sang that line, and that line alone, a large portion of the crowd rose to their feet, clapping and cheering. Every single time. It's definitely an ingrained response in that type of brain, that certain words have a talismanic power to which they must respond correctly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sarcastro posted:

One of the weirder moments I've experienced was several years ago when attending the Grand Old Opry during a visit to Nashville. It was otherwise a fun experience, with some good music, but there was one band (that I can't remember anything else about, including their name) whose nondescript song included one line each chorus, totally out of context with anything else discussed in the lyrics, mentioning "our boys going to war" or whatever. Every single time they sang that line, and that line alone, a large portion of the crowd rose to their feet, clapping and cheering. Every single time. It's definitely an ingrained response in that type of brain, that certain words have a talismanic power to which they must respond correctly.

I have a coworker who will literally stop and salute a bald eagle if he sees one. Granted, he's only 19 and his literal stated goal in life is to be as stereotypically Good Ol' Boy as he can possibly be; Big truck, Heritage Not Hate Confederate Flags, mouth full of chew, I can't be racist because I have black friends - Y'know, all the hits.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

I have a coworker who will literally stop and salute a bald eagle if he sees one. Granted, he's only 19 and his literal stated goal in life is to be as stereotypically Good Ol' Boy as he can possibly be; Big truck, Heritage Not Hate Confederate Flags, mouth full of chew, I can't be racist because I have black friends - Y'know, all the hits.

Not considering enlistment? weird

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

the_steve posted:

Where do you live where you regularly see bald eagles?

Or do pictures of bald eagles count? Please say yes

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm sure he's got a story about how he tried but couldn't because of something completely out of his control.

letthereberock posted:

We have a ton in Northern Wisconsin, and I see a bunch out in Western Wisconsin near the Twin Cities, so they are definitely places where you'd see them a bunch.

Nasty birds, always eating dead things off the roads. Now turkeys! That's a national bird!

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 21, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The national bird should've been the great horned owl. :colbert:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The national bird should've been the great horned owl. :colbert:

I can absolutely get behind that friend.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'd take any owl, they're all ok in my book.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

letthereberock posted:

I work for a towboat company, and the boat I'm on gets sent up the Illinois River a fair bit. Tons of bald eagles over that way.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I did say stereotypical as can be. Rest assured, there isn't an ARE TROOPS boot he won't lick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Republican vicious circle - Our kids can't afford college so why should they pay for other people's college!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
What does intelligence have to do with being able to pay for something? Why should only rich kids get to be doctors? "Sorry Timmy, but your family is poor, so get working on a minimum wage dead end job instead of trying to make a better life for yourself!"

That also is literally how health insurance works and they think that's the greatest thing in the world.