Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man
Maybe the bugs and lack of polish are just there to make Cyberpunk feel more authentically punk, have you thought about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My unpopular opinion is that I shouldn't have uninstalled flash before the new homestarrunner game came out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JagerNinja posted:

Maybe the bugs and lack of polish are just there to make Cyberpunk feel more authentically punk, have you thought about that?

But it's available for both voiceovers and text :confused:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

Can someone put the mankind divided optional secret thing in spoilers for me, I would like to know what it is

Click my post history in the thread, Ive posted it I think at least twice

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mr. Lobe posted:

I would like it if when, I shoot someone in the head, they die

this is why fps rpgs all suck
"my gun does a satisfying amount of damage and actually plays like a proper shooter" is a very thin line between "everything is an annoying bullet sponge" and "everything is trivially easy because I do way too much damage"
and RPGs never actually manage to hit that sweet spot

every shooter-rpg would be better off if they just removed the rpg elements and designed the guns to do a fixed amount of damage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mr. Lobe posted:

I would like it if when, I shoot someone in the head, they die

Then you'd have to die in one shot too and if you're playing in the higher difficulties you will take damage, especially if you're me and like to kill everyone in a given area with guns and blades and loot their corpses for precious goods instead of playing super sneaky or hacky

Plus a sniper shot to the dome will kill almost any standard enemy in the game apart from bosses, if it's a decent gun.

Given the story it kind of makes sense too, everyone is outfitted with defensive tech, these aren't just humans to be easily destroyed with a single bullet. And the boss battles are cool and exciting because they take a little bit and you need to be smart about what kind of attack and defense you employ and how. Frankly it would be a pretty strange game if everyone died in a single hit

Anyways I wrote too many words about a video game and now I'm slightly embarrassed

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Play posted:

Then you'd have to die in one shot too
???
says who
almost every game on earth uses different mechanics for the player vs enemies

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

every shooter-rpg would be better off if they just removed the rpg elements and designed the guns to do a fixed amount of damage

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint added this after a year in a patch, with a mode that makes half of the chests (with loot guns that would be scaled to your level) pointless but doesn't tell you which ones on the map

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

???
says who

Mirror's Edge Catalyst sucks but the use of movement to fill a meter that effectively represents the protag moving too much for the enemies to land a shot is a really good design imo

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

site posted:

Can someone put the mankind divided optional secret thing in spoilers for me, I would like to know what it is

The Jensen you're playing in the game is a clone of the protagonist from the first game. There's a sealed container in the mentioned vault, if you throw an emp grenade in the flash you can for a moment see jensen's face in the container. You could argue it was just a placeholder model but one of the sidequests in the game pretty explicitly hints at the possibility.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 21, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

deus ex is all about jc denton and the dialogues he has plus the specific visual design and the size of the levels. once you take that stuff away it isn't really deus ex

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nah deus ex is about cyborgs and conspiracies, its not that complicated or nuanced

although if you really wanna get to the meat and bones its about hitting everything with an overpowered dragon sword

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd say deus ex is specifically about cyborgization, capitalism, being one foot in RPG territory, and having lots of approaches for getting through a level

You could take the themes of Deus Ex in terms of story, background, and dialogue, plop that on on top of Hitman 's gameplay and sprinkle in RPG progression elements, and that would be more satisfying to me for adhering to the original than Human Revolution did

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this is why fps rpgs all suck
"my gun does a satisfying amount of damage and actually plays like a proper shooter" is a very thin line between "everything is an annoying bullet sponge" and "everything is trivially easy because I do way too much damage"
and RPGs never actually manage to hit that sweet spot

Loot just drags games down regardless of genre. It's a pathetic replacement for good game design and it's kind of sad that people have just accepted it as the norm, because it appeals to the greedy part of your brain I guess. It's just lazy as hell though.

And ftr I love CP2077 but the loot system is real bad and just drags the game down for sure. Luckily Cyberpunk has a lot of other poo poo going on unlike say, Destiny.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 21, 2020

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Quote-Unquote posted:

My old flatmate had a kinect, that's how we discovered this. He swore at FIFA a lot.

If you cheered I think player stats got slightly better or something. The commentators would make comments about what you were saying.

Honestly it's the best use of a built in mic in any console game ever and I wish more games made use of it, especially as the ps5 controller has a mic in it.

The best use of a mic in a game was, objectively, Seaman
:thunk:

JagerNinja posted:

Cyberpunk is a great game it's just too bad corporate marketed Crysis 2020 as a console game, and especially a base-model PS4 game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hitman is just drat good design in itself, mind. I feel the focus helps. Self-contained little areas with their own stories, characters and lots of things to do, intimidating at first but opening up so much the more you learn about them.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
First time round, I gave up on Mankind Divided after getting to Prague and getting mired in sub quests. But more importantly, the game just felt bad to play control wise (laggy/floaty), which was strange as Human Revolution worked fine.
A couple of months ago I gave it another try, messing with the settings at least got the game to feel snappy.
It's a very uneven game and almost everything feels half-assed. Lack of urgency is a standard RPG issue, but in this game the amount of time you (can, of course) spend doing sub quests and rooting around in sewers is way more than you spend doing the actual missions, why is Jensen doing all this and why is it all so pointless. The mind control quest was just stupid. The stuff about the new drug where you end up going to a 'rave' and it's two people standing in a hallway and another three dancing in a small room. The general half-assedness reminded me of Invisible War, actually.

All every single NPC talks about is the aug discrimination stuff. Actually this year's Covid stuff reminds me of Mankind Divided in that sense.
The part where the city is in lockdown and you get attacked on sight by police is pointless and annoying.

However I thought there were a few parts with great level design, both visually and gameplay wise, such as the aug ghetto and the bank. Those parts made the game worth it for me, there the game felt like Human Revolution. Unfortunately there's really only 6 missions and two are tiny while the last one I ended up just cloaking through a large part as there's a time limit.

And yeah seconding that the game did give you quite a lot of leeway in messing around with the game sequence.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hitman is just drat good design in itself, mind. I feel the focus helps. Self-contained little areas with their own stories, characters and lots of things to do, intimidating at first but opening up so much the more you learn about them.

yeah ive been playing through hitman 2 lately and the levels are so detailed and well designed and you really do have an immense amount of freedom in how you approach things. ive had the game for a year or so and finished all the main targets a while ago but now im going through some of the challenges and im still finding cool hidden stuff in the levels

the cutscenes and metastory around agent47 is pretty wack tho ive found the whole experience is better if you just skip every cutscene and dont worry about why you are supposed to be killing these people

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It'd be cool if the overarching plot wasn't generic nonsense but the individual levels are so loving good it doesn't matter

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That was the problem with Mankind Divided IMO - you are all pumped for some more international corpo detectiving to uncover spooky conspiracies and then it just... never happens.

I swear most of the sidequests are just running errands for the local two bit gangsters because uhhhhh maintaining cover I guess?

Then at the end all I can remember of the grand conspiracy is that the radical terrorists who don't want peace were planning to blow up the peace conference! Who knew!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

the cutscenes and metastory around agent47 is pretty wack tho ive found the whole experience is better if you just skip every cutscene and dont worry about why you are supposed to be killing these people

I think it's clear from the much lower effort cutscenes in hitman 2 that they got the message on this

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

???
says who

Seems like easy mode would give you what you're looking for then?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sing us a song, you're the Jimmy-man. Sing us a song tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUoo6vv0k2U

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
A Criminal Past was the best part of Mankind Divided. It's a great sequel to Escape from Butcher Bay.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
The original Deus Ex is an extremely Noam Chomsky inspired game, with excellent writing, terrible voice acting, and interesting if janky combat. Once you get to Paris though the story loses a lot of its nuance and kind of turns into a B-movie quality plot (which is still better than most video games). But the beginning, when you're fighting the NSF and seeing the little clues and hints about what your doing is I think the best example of video games as abstract story telling (and point-making) I've ever seen.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One unpopular opinion I have related to this: in TM1 it was borderline but the scope of the missions in TM2 has gotten too large, my limit was them needing to contrive a racetrack to be within walking distance of an RND lab. The classic games had the right approach, single targets were the default with a few two or three target missions being standouts. I guess with the 5 episode release model they decided on that wouldn't be palatable.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 21, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

That was the problem with Mankind Divided IMO - you are all pumped for some more international corpo detectiving to uncover spooky conspiracies and then it just... never happens.

I swear most of the sidequests are just running errands for the local two bit gangsters because uhhhhh maintaining cover I guess?

Then at the end all I can remember of the grand conspiracy is that the radical terrorists who don't want peace were planning to blow up the peace conference! Who knew!

I think it was previously mentioned, but Square cut the funding off during the game’s development and they had to scramble to churn out something. There was supposed to be another hub city instead of just the same one done a few different ways. Makes sense that tried to pad the experience with quests for no name gangsters, etc. The real crime is that there was also supposed to be a third game in the series that would wrap up Adam Jensen’s story and lead right into JC Denton. But Square thought it would be much better to use that money to make their exciting new “Games as a Service” Marvel shitshow.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cartoon Man posted:

I think it was previously mentioned, but Square cut the funding off during the game’s development and they had to scramble to churn out something. There was supposed to be another hub city instead of just the same one done a few different ways. Makes sense that tried to pad the experience with quests for no name gangsters, etc. The real crime is that there was also supposed to be a third game in the series that would wrap up Adam Jensen’s story and lead right into JC Denton. But Square thought it would be much better to use that money to make their exciting new “Games as a Service” Marvel shitshow.

What dumbasses, to think a Marvel thing would make more money than a Deus Ex thing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Did it even? That marvel game was absolute poo poo and I can't imagine anyone is actually playing it anymore

It probably did though. I absolutely loved Human Revolution

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

jokes posted:

What dumbasses, to think a Marvel thing would make more money than a Deus Ex thing.

Of course it made sense from a business perspective but the whole “games as a service” model has proven extremely challenging for any developer to get right and by all accounts they squandered the opportunity. All I can say is ... what a shame. Now quit pouring money into that shitshow and give us a new Deus Ex.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Play posted:

Did it even? That marvel game was absolute poo poo and I can't imagine anyone is actually playing it anymore

i dont know the sales figures but i would guess there are a larger number of people who will automatically buy any game featuring the more popular marvel characters (regardless of what kind of game it is or its quality) than there are people who know what deus ex is

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

The original Deus Ex is an extremely Noam Chomsky inspired game, with excellent writing, terrible voice acting, and interesting if janky combat.
Just to be clear, are you saying these are qualities also held by Chomsky?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Martman posted:

Just to be clear, are you saying these are qualities also held by Chomsky?

I would imagine the vast majority of them do also apply to Noam Chomsky, yes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think life sim games are the dumbest thing. I want to be a shoot mans, or a pilot, or a treasure hunter or something. I don't know why the most popular mods for games (outside of anime titties) is always a survival mod. Cool, I get to pause the game because my character needs a snack or piss or something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DildenAnders posted:

I would imagine the vast majority of them do also apply to Noam Chomsky, yes.

Specifically the part about trying to get an orange soda and only receiving lemon-lime

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ecstasy of augmentation from the good the bad and the lemon lime

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

I think life sim games are the dumbest thing. I want to be a shoot mans, or a pilot, or a treasure hunter or something. I don't know why the most popular mods for games (outside of anime titties) is always a survival mod. Cool, I get to pause the game because my character needs a snack or piss or something.

my mate was talking about a mod for skyrim that makes it so you have to wear furs and start fires to stay warm or hide in caves while blizzards are going on. He loved it. I cannot see the point in having to literally sit around in a cave doing nothing waiting for a video game to allow me to go and do the next bit where I smash a monster in the face.

There's a bit in Ultima VII part 2 where you have to wear warm clothing to go to the frozen area and it's mildly annoying if you've found better armour than the warm clothes but it's not a big deal, and also you can get items to ignore the cold effect pretty quickly. But why would anybody intentionally mod a game so you have to spend half your time huddled by a fire waiting for something to happen?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

my mate was talking about a mod for skyrim that makes it so you have to wear furs and start fires to stay warm or hide in caves while blizzards are going on. He loved it. I cannot see the point in having to literally sit around in a cave doing nothing waiting for a video game to allow me to go and do the next bit where I smash a monster in the face.

I actually installed that mod to see what the fuss is about since it was always rated as a top mod. I even gave it like a few hours, before realising that no, this poo poo is tedious as gently caress.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

I actually installed that mod to see what the fuss is about since it was always rated as a top mod. I even gave it like a few hours, before realising that no, this poo poo is tedious as gently caress.

It's like lovely mobile games that make you watch ads or pay money to be able to continue playing the game, except you're doing it willingly because sitting in a loving cave makes it an epic experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Higher downtime makes the actiony parts stand out more, isn't that what made battle royales popular?

and fighting Noam Chomsky would definitely be interesting if janky