Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lol what is up with this Alexander episode in the middle of a bunch of really good DS9 episodes. He just shows up to be a complete failure at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Any Worf story has to involve someone being a failson.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

My question is who’s running the station when everyone’s running of in the Defiant.

NITE CREW

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Also "The Adversary" puts Odo on communications. Can ANYONE do that job? It makes Uhura look bad.

I think by the 90s, people forgot about phone operators and switchboards, so they didn't have the idea of communications as a complicated thing to do that required expertise.

Although I think DS9 was particularly bad about characters having no specialization and just doing everything. Particularly Jadzia.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I mean, even in the modern military there's dedicated communications officer roles responsible for, among other things, operation and maintenance of communications equipment and signaling devices, cryptography (both friendly and hostile), electronic countermeasures and secure data transmission. It was never about just making phone calls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

It's also extra flawed because they explicitly establish that it's only like this on DS9 and on most places she just has to wear an antigrav belt.
Oh yeah I forgot that part, it was the poo poo-rear end Cardassian non-OSHA gravity barriers and/or bulkhead gaps, right? Like she was completely fine on Starfleet facilities or on her homeworld? (Or presumably other low-gravity worlds.)

What the gently caress, Bashir!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

McSpanky posted:

NITE CREW

Ugh, Delta Shift.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the Dominion war they should have used codebreakers from The Children of Tama.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

NITE CREW

Beer me!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DS9: the center of war due to the wormhole.

What? Station like a permanent detail of 6x Sovereign or like, a dozen more Defiants? Nah. What? Build a new like state of the art Starfleet station to like... add support to that piece of poo poo Cardassian relic?

Nah. gently caress that. Hey let's just put up some mines. Good enough.

Also hey let's have the entire command crew go out on every mission in that single ship and don't leave anyone else around to man the station. That is the center choke point and most strategic position in the entire war until the literal gods intervene. Sounds good!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jeeves posted:

What? Station like a permanent detail of 6x Sovereign or like, a dozen more Defiants? Nah. What? Build a new like state of the art Starfleet station to like... add support to that piece of poo poo Cardassian relic?

Also hey let's have the entire command crew go out on every mission in that single ship and don't leave anyone else around to man the station. That is the center choke point and most strategic position in the entire war until the literal gods intervene. Sounds good!
While the command crew part is legit I can swallow the rest on the theory of "this is Bajor's space-land and the Federation is living up to their ideals."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

To be fair from when the war heats up we never see the station without ships orbiting it and they're always mentioning that there are others nearby 'on patrol' so there probably is a pretty massive fleet that's about five warp seconds away. Except in A Call To Arms and there they straight-out tell us that Starfleet intentionally sacrificed the station as bait to destroy the dominion's shipyards.

And then for most of the war DS9 wasn't really key the same way once the prophets blocked the wormhole, from there on it was just a really well-positioned staging point.

Seemlar posted:

I think it was season 6 where they considered adding a second support ship stationed there that would have filled that role as being wholly to handle Starfleet business with it's own recurring characters, but the idea never panned out.

The Sutherland, yeah. They intro'd them in the Worf/Jadzia wedding episode but never got around to bringing them back and making them recurring.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 20, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

McSpanky posted:

NITE CREW

https://i.imgur.com/EgkFGry.mp4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-iwGy1UTs

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In the Dominion war they should have used codebreakers from The Children of Tama.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Watching Aquiel right now and I regret to inform you that George is At It again

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

While the command crew part is legit I can swallow the rest on the theory of "this is Bajor's space-land and the Federation is living up to their ideals."

The Federation was attempting to not give the Dominion cause to violate the non-aggression pact with Bajor, which the Dominion did at least appear to honor. The larger Federation-Klingon-Romulan presence does seem to move in step with the Prophets closing the wormhole. Potentially, the Dominion viewed this as a violation of the treaty, as the Prophets are "of Bajor." Bajor then allowed a larger presence in the area in case the Dominon pressed the issue.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Really Starfleet should have just rolled up several fleets, parked them outside the wormhole and put up a NO ENTRY sign on the other side. After the Dominion destroy the Odyssey there's no reason to treat them as anything other than an openly hostile power and IIRC they never even make attempts to simmer down relations with the Federation prior to the war

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 21, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it is somewhat bizarre that neither side plants a thousand orbital floating cannons around their side of the wormhole

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Dominion might have, IIRC we don't know anything about the far side from after By Inferno's Light, the next time they go into the Gamma Quadrant is after the surrender.

Although initially at least the far side of the wormhole a fair bit outside Dominion-controlled territory, they just objected to Starfleet coming through on the grounds that they considered everything Dominion territory even if they hadn't gotten around to it yet. But they probably annexed the far side somewhere along the way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 21, 2020

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sash! posted:

The Federation was attempting to not give the Dominion cause to violate the non-aggression pact with Bajor, which the Dominion did at least appear to honor. The larger Federation-Klingon-Romulan presence does seem to move in step with the Prophets closing the wormhole. Potentially, the Dominion viewed this as a violation of the treaty, as the Prophets are "of Bajor." Bajor then allowed a larger presence in the area in case the Dominon pressed the issue.

Agreed, before the shooting started the Dominion wanted to get as many powers as possible to agree to not help Starfleet (so they could be wiped out after the war was over) and probably didn't give a poo poo about Bajor except to potentially show the Romulans etc. that they'll honor their non-aggression pact. Coincidentally, the Prophets closed the wormhole the same day Odo had his security staff (a bunch of Bajorans wearing Bajoran uniforms) shoot a bunch of Dominion soldiers to aid some condemned anti-Dominion terrorists in an act of sabotage so I'm sure that didn't help either.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure what made me think of this just now, but it would've been funny if O'brien"s "What You Leave Behind" flashback was 90% made up of stuff his imaginary cellmate did to cheer him up during 20 years of mind prison

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhMMcAHlKw

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just rewatched inter arma enim silent leges and read afterwards that ira behr was disappointed in the episode because they wanted julian to be more culpable and less heroic/in the right but honestly i feel it treads that line almost perfectly and would be a less interesting examination if it was just another confession episode like in the pale moonlight. also made me appreciate how good it was of them to make a likeable starfleet admiral, finally attempting to rehabilitate that disgusting, obscene and corrupt institution

edit: all in all its probably the best season 7 episode, or at least up there with treachery/faith, seige of ar-558 and paper moon. actually man for a season that felt a little flat overall it still has a bunch of good loving episodes

also its completely baffling that a genuinely bad person like sloan is a better and more likeable character than literally the entirety of discovery and picard. hes in like five episodes!

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 21, 2020

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Is the TNG that's on Canadian netflix the remaster?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Boxturret posted:

Is the TNG that's on Canadian netflix the remaster?

Watch an episode of DS9 and then TNG, and if TNG doesn't look about 9 million times better then it's not the remaster.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Goblin Craft posted:

Watch an episode of DS9 and then TNG, and if TNG doesn't look about 9 million times better then it's not the remaster.

Okay, TNG does look noticeably better but DS9 doesn't look terrible.

I thought I saw something somewhere where they made TNG widescreen? Like they originally filmed that way and cropped it for TV or am I just making this up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Boxturret posted:

I thought I saw something somewhere where they made TNG widescreen? Like they originally filmed that way and cropped it for TV or am I just making this up.

That's true of B5 but not TNG to my knowledge. The former was shot for 4:3 but kept 16:9 safe so they could open up the matte for later releases. They probably could have done something similar with TNG during the remaster process, but probably more on a shot by shot basis.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile, DS9 was framed for 16:9 after the first or second season, IIRC.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Goblin Craft posted:

That's true of B5 but not TNG to my knowledge. The former was shot for 4:3 but kept 16:9 safe so they could open up the matte for later releases. They probably could have done something similar with TNG during the remaster process, but probably more on a shot by shot basis.

Ah I must have been conflating people talking about that and the TNG remaster.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Watched "Rejoined" and honestly between this episode and the Joran episode and the one with the guy who wanted to be joined but couldn't, the Trill really should have their Federation membership examined.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TNG had lighting JUUUUST outside of frame (or sometimes in frame as evident by the DVDs without overscan). It can't be anything other than 4:3.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boxturret posted:

I have been pleasantly surprised by the image quality of DS9, especially season 4 and up. I almost fool myself into thinking it somehow became HD occasionally. Exterior shots of the station or any text overlays will clear that misconception right up, but it's not nearly as painful as I thought it would be.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nodosaur posted:

Watched "Rejoined" and honestly between this episode and the Joran episode and the one with the guy who wanted to be joined but couldn't, the Trill really should have their Federation membership examined.

They never explicitly say whether Trill is a Federation member, actually. Given how secretive about everything, I'd imagine they're not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

They never explicitly say whether Trill is a Federation member, actually. Given how secretive about everything, I'd imagine they're not.

It’d be really weird if non Federation citizen Kurzon negotiated the Khitomer Accords.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Verviticus posted:

i just rewatched inter arma enim silent leges and read afterwards that ira behr was disappointed in the episode because they wanted julian to be more culpable and less heroic/in the right but honestly i feel it treads that line almost perfectly and would be a less interesting examination if it was just another confession episode like in the pale moonlight. also made me appreciate how good it was of them to make a likeable starfleet admiral, finally attempting to rehabilitate that disgusting, obscene and corrupt institution

edit: all in all its probably the best season 7 episode, or at least up there with treachery/faith, seige of ar-558 and paper moon. actually man for a season that felt a little flat overall it still has a bunch of good loving episodes

also its completely baffling that a genuinely bad person like sloan is a better and more likeable character than literally the entirety of discovery and picard. hes in like five episodes!

Bashir’s righteous indignation and Boy Scout attitude is the only thing he had going since the gene stuff so it’s weird to think of that being different. Hell the genetic modification stuff fits in there too. Not only does Bashir think it’s his duty to get Sloan but he thinks he’s smart enough to beat someone who’s entire life is fooling smart people. You can only pull off In the Pale Moonlight so many times before you aren’t writing Star Trek any more and Bashir just no-selling Sloan’s attempt at convincing that he’s just making the hard choices stops things from going too far.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes you want a neutral-ish party to be the treaty negotiator, instead of not neutral parties that can gently caress the whole thing up, so maybe the Federation used the Trill as a semi-neutral party.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The current season of Discovery implies that Trill was a Federation member at some point

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nodosaur posted:

It’d be really weird if non Federation citizen Kurzon negotiated the Khitomer Accords.

Sash! posted:

Sometimes you want a neutral-ish party to be the treaty negotiator, instead of not neutral parties that can gently caress the whole thing up, so maybe the Federation used the Trill as a semi-neutral party.

It's also possible that Kurzon as an individual was a Federation citizen, while the Trill home world isn't. They're clearly on good terms, and the Federation is pretty open with the species they like, so I imagine it's fairly easy for a Trill to obtain Federation citizenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also the Romulans of all people had a delegation at the signing of the Khitomer Accords. Pretty sure anyone who wanted to could show up and chip in ideas as part of the “negotiations”.