Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

For reference, these are the icons that can appear

The dot in the top right of the first weapon means it's dyable, and what colour it currently is.

The plus in the top right of the second shows that it has its appearance glamoured over, and that it's also been dyed or is dyable.
The notepad in the bottom right shows it's part of a gear set.

The red plus with the black internal means it's been glamoured over, but cannot be dyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CYBEReris posted:

also give sch a fairy laser array they can spend a full fairy gauge to command

Squenix doesn't seem to like SCH spending gauge on damage and I'm guessing that goes for the faerie gauge as well as the aetherflow gauge too.

Which is sad because I'm really dumb about using my fairy properly so having a big laser for it is definitely something I'd remember to use and it would make me more effective than sticking it to the tank.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

remembering that brief period in shadowbringers where sch didn't even have energy drain and quivering in terror

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

bewilderment posted:

Squenix doesn't seem to like SCH spending gauge on damage and I'm guessing that goes for the faerie gauge as well as the aetherflow gauge too.

Which is sad because I'm really dumb about using my fairy properly so having a big laser for it is definitely something I'd remember to use and it would make me more effective than sticking it to the tank.

I think it's just that they hate having a resource that is used for either damage or healing, not both. Afflatus Misery exists because it's not an either or; WHM gets that damage back as a natural part of healing, while SCH has to choose between dealing damage or healing with its limited Aetherflow stacks. Judging from how they had to be yelled at to put Energy Drain back, I'd assume that 6.0 will either rework Energy Drain to not key off Aetherflow, or use a dedicated damage resource or simply get removed entirely for some other damage button.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man we're only a little over a month until the expansion announcement

So close and yet so far

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The fact that the armory chest is barely big enough to hold one of every weapon for every job is a travesty when most of the relic quests require you to be hotswapping them around with spares and you literally are not allowed to be without a mainhand weapon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

e: misread

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 21, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

summoner is bullshit because it can only summon primal egis and not the egi-est character of all, The Crass Clown from yugioh the cartoon

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AnonSpore posted:

The fact that the armory chest is barely big enough to hold one of every weapon for every job is a travesty when most of the relic quests require you to be hotswapping them around with spares and you literally are not allowed to be without a mainhand weapon
I agree it is a nuisance, however you can stuff your crafter gear into your chocobo for ready access and free up at least eight slots if I'm guessing the situation right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nessus posted:

I agree it is a nuisance, however you can stuff your crafter gear into your chocobo for ready access and free up at least eight slots if I'm guessing the situation right.

It's partially that and partially that I use my non-job classes for hotbar macro shenanigans and relic weapons are job only so I need a separate item for some of my jobs so that I can access, say, the conjurer hotbars if I need to fiddle with them.

e: Also my saddlebag is filled to the brim with dyes

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 22, 2020

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

In lieu of a proper solution they really should plant a Weathered main-hand dealer next to such people. I'll pay a 100ish gil fee.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

It's partially that and partially that I use my non-job classes for hotbar macro shenanigans and relic weapons are job only so I need a separate item for some of my jobs so that I can access, say, the conjurer hotbars if I need to fiddle with them.

If you need to use a hotbar for stuff, just copy it into an existing one.

Like, for example, I have a menu bar made from three hotbars: one holds the root, which has buttons that copy stuff on to the other two.

So if I want to change my mount or emote lineups or whatever, I don't go and switch to Conjurer or Arcanist. I just make the changes in place and copy them back. So if a button on the root menu goes "/hotbar copy cnj 6 share 9" then I make my changes on share 9 and then do "/hotbar copy share 9 cnj 6". Much less effort than changing to a class, plus you get to see the changes where they'd be used.

EDIT: This is, however, presuming a mouse and keyboard setup. If you're, for example, on PS4 with no real keyboard, typing in the macro each time you want to write changes would be really annoying, and so your way would absolutely be better.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bewilderment posted:

The thing is that healing is as a mechanic generally (not just in MMOs, games in general) not great for game health. It means progress for one side slows down, or even goes backwards. As long as they don't make kills happen faster than the opposing side can react to counter (see: when assassins get fed in a MOBA) stuff that does more damage faster or in some interesting pattern is better for game health than stuff that stalls out a game.

In FF14 this is an issue because damage generally isn't 'sticky' (only Vuln Ups are) - if you're heavily damaged, a healer can put you back up to full in 2 GCDs, usually at no enormous cost to themselves (particularly if they're casting partywide heals anyway).
As a comparison you can look at DnD and similar RPGs - while the implementation varies and isn't often great, damage is usually more sticky and curing it in the heat of the moment is usually a significant opportunity cost that means less resources to do something else (be it just the cost of your turn, or because you're using up a spell that could've been used for damage instead).

FF14's healers work for FF14 because that's the way they designed it, but I think the game is very clearly showing the limits of traditional MMO healing design. They've made it as good as they can under the current paradigm because getting any better would need a better paradigm.

MMOs without the holy trinity loving suck. Hope that helps.

bewilderment posted:

You could at least compare it to Guild Wars 2, a game that didn't pin its hopes on catering to the extreme raider/poopsock market.

I stopped playing GW2 for a bunch of reasons (not that I played it for very long in the first place) but while the quest writing was generally rear end, yeah, I think it did the right thing by ditching tank/healer/dps as a model and having dodging telegraphed attacks be the focus.

If I had a hypothetical perfect MMO it would be the combat style of GW2 (and the art style is pretty nice too, for its age) with the plotting and 'you can do everything on one character' of FF14.

This is insane. You’re loving insane. GW2’s remove of the trinity is one of the things that made the game completely loving miserable. Dungeons were miserable.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 22, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We just got done talking about it can we not revive the argument

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I too enjoyed such great mechanics such as "everyone stand in a corner and then spam aoe"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

No, no, you don't understand. The trinity is old and bad game design and ffxiv should be more like destiny and the division. They already play so similarly!

Edit: I'd also like to note that the division also has threat as an actual stat. Bigger, louder guns made enemies shoot at you more often, and the riot shield you could use also drew enemy fire. As in, players could adopt a bulkier role to draw fire away from squishier allies, like a tank.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 22, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordiceius posted:

This is insane. You’re loving insane.

Shut the gently caress up Mord

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only trinity y'all should be carin' about is the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shut the gently caress up Mord

“Guild Wars 2 getting rid of the trinity was good, actually” is worse than any bad take I have ever made.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

If you need to use a hotbar for stuff, just copy it into an existing one.

Like, for example, I have a menu bar made from three hotbars: one holds the root, which has buttons that copy stuff on to the other two.

So if I want to change my mount or emote lineups or whatever, I don't go and switch to Conjurer or Arcanist. I just make the changes in place and copy them back. So if a button on the root menu goes "/hotbar copy cnj 6 share 9" then I make my changes on share 9 and then do "/hotbar copy share 9 cnj 6". Much less effort than changing to a class, plus you get to see the changes where they'd be used.

EDIT: This is, however, presuming a mouse and keyboard setup. If you're, for example, on PS4 with no real keyboard, typing in the macro each time you want to write changes would be really annoying, and so your way would absolutely be better.

Oh that's really cool, I'll do that in the future. Thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Waffleman_ posted:

The only trinity y'all should be carin' about is the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
More like onion, celery and bell pepper, heretic.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I might have the shittiest wishlist ever, but I wish they'd readdress ilvl sync for lower level raids. Instead of syncing a lvl 50 LotA to 130, would it be so bad to just be min ilvl +30? It would still be trivially easy, but far more interesting. Lota, Syrcus, and Void Ark would be a lot more fun if they lasted long enough to do anything in.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Waffleman_ posted:

That would be (Heavensward MSQ spoilers) Archbishop Thordan, Commander Aymeric and Ser Haurchefaunt, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I might have the shittiest wishlist ever, but I wish they'd readdress ilvl sync for lower level raids. Instead of syncing a lvl 50 LotA to 130, would it be so bad to just be min ilvl +30? It would still be trivially easy, but far more interesting. Lota, Syrcus, and Void Ark would be a lot more fun if they lasted long enough to do anything in.

LOTA has garbage mechanics, so it definitely would not be more fun if you actually had to do them/

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I played LotA and Syrcus back when you had to do the mechanics, and I don't miss them at all. Zombie Dragon was a nightmare if you had too many newbies, or tanks that didn't know where you were supposed to drag it. I think it's at just the right level now, it's a good introduction to raiding, with WoD being the wake-up call where you have to pay attention to some new mechanics.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Buddy, I have no idea what, if any, mechanics the second boss of Syrcus Tower has beyond "don't stand in these Tron-looking AoEs" and I don't intend to learn them anytime soon. :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think my favorite part of Syrcus Tower was learning that Glasya Labolas once had mechanics that now just get completely skipped over

e:f,b

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Begemot posted:

I played LotA and Syrcus back when you had to do the mechanics, and I don't miss them at all. Zombie Dragon was a nightmare if you had too many newbies, or tanks that didn't know where you were supposed to drag it. I think it's at just the right level now, it's a good introduction to raiding, with WoD being the wake-up call where you have to pay attention to some new mechanics.

I can almost grant lota, because they're still mostly just target dummies, but syrcus has a lot of mechanics which would still be decent enough. All in all they're terrible introductions to raids, because they don't introduce anything (except wiping to meteor).

RME
Feb 20, 2012

biggest tip for helping manage your armory chest is not making all new gear deposit into it immediately, so you only move new stuff/upgrades into it yourself and keep the random longstop gear you got from levelling roulette in your inventory to just desynth/turnin/whatever in a more delineated way

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Begemot posted:

drag it where

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RME posted:

drag it where

Nowhere

All pulling it north does is make us waste time by following it north.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

TO THE BONE ZONE

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

W.T. Fits posted:

Buddy, I have no idea what, if any, mechanics the second boss of Syrcus Tower has beyond "don't stand in these Tron-looking AoEs" and I don't intend to learn them anytime soon. :colbert:

a couple months ago our dps was so bad i saw him go supernova which was pretty cool

also ive seen phlegethon's criss-cross attack once

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I mean, Bone Dragon would probably wipe most pugs alone, although it would be funny to have Alliance C actually be able to do something on the Thanatos fight.

Other than that, we'd have people being blown up by lightning towers on Behemoth and Scylla, Glasa actually having mechanics that I don't think people have done in the last 5 years, or people remembering "oh poo poo Cloud of Darkness had a wave of worm adds that could actually gently caress up the entire raid."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Awesome! posted:

a couple months ago our dps was so bad i saw him go supernova which was pretty cool

also ive seen phlegethon's criss-cross attack once

I had a terrible group a few weeks back that wiped like three times to Scylla, somehow. But enough people dropped and got replaced by Glasya that we didn't get to see the platform-hopping mechanic.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wow i dont think ive ever even come remotely close to wiping on scylla. thats impressive

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
They should actually move the crystal tower raids out of adr and into msq roulette so that I can go back to doing adr.

Edit: All content I personally don't want to do should be in MSQDR so every dungeon under level 40, Void Ark, A1, A2, O10, and frontlines: secure.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 22, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
On release ignoring the electric towers if you had the purple orbs was just not an option on Scylla

That poo poo hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they also made it so one of the parties couldn't avoid her transition mechanic, but you know

owies