Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For some reason, this thought comforts you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Once again, MU episodes remind me how exhausting it must be living in the MU. With everyone constantly gunning for everyone else, it's honestly amazing they cooperate long enough to do, well, anything, let alone manage to fly a whole starship and all its component parts. Like, sometimes you just wanna rephase these EPS manifolds so the ship doesn't explode. I don't have time for a knife fight right now, ensign.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

What's the test of character and leadership test for MU command staff? Can't imagine ordering Geordi to his death is much of a challenge for anyone there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Chubby Henparty posted:

What's the test of character and leadership test for MU command staff? Can't imagine ordering Geordi to his death is much of a challenge for anyone there.

You kill the guy who has the job you want

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

Mirror Star Trek Megathread: Kobayashi FuckYou

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Once again, MU episodes remind me how exhausting it must be living in the MU. With everyone constantly gunning for everyone else, it's honestly amazing they cooperate long enough to do, well, anything, let alone manage to fly a whole starship and all its component parts. Like, sometimes you just wanna rephase these EPS manifolds so the ship doesn't explode. I don't have time for a knife fight right now, ensign.

In Mirror, Mirror the MU counterparts last about 10 seconds before Spock has them all put in the brig as they're incapable even of pretending to be non-dysfunctional.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Alchenar posted:

In Mirror, Mirror the MU counterparts last about 10 seconds before Spock has them all put in the brig as they're incapable even of pretending to be non-dysfunctional.

It's a great scene. Real Kirk McCoy, Scotty and Uhura finally realize that if they slipped into the evil dimension, their evil counterparts are in the real one, and Kirk looks panicked as he wonders what they'll do to his ship. Cut to real Spock and some security people manhandling the evil crew into a cell in the brig while they curse at him.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 21, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

I think that was actually a plot point in one of the IDW Next Generation miniseries, where Mirror Barclay decides to assume the identity of his prime universe counterpart on his own initiative to avoid all of the backstabbing, and later comes up with a solution to a technical problem the regular crew are stumped by, because Terran ships are much less well maintained than Federation ones and as such they have to deal with this sort of thing more regularly.

The Bloop posted:

New thread title for 2021 looks good.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Yvonmukluk posted:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I guess if you look at real life nazi society it wasn't all a bumbling, backstabbing clusterfuck. Nazis left a lot of the economy and administration alone because they needed poo poo to actually function. Like, if you were some cashier in a department store you weren't planning to murder you boss for a career bump. Everything below middle management on MU Earth might be a lot more relaxed.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

skasion posted:

Duh, of course.

The Bloop posted:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skasion posted:

Starfleet being Necromongers explains a lot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Senor Tron posted:

She's a human who has spent more time around other humans.

Man I can't believe they just spent a two parter on these MU maybe never actually happened events, but we had to get through all the Reunifaction Pt3 events in one episode. Would have loved to see more exploration of how it's changed the Vulcans and Romulans.

I want to know this, along with everything else that's happening! Let's see how Romulan integration has affected the Vulcan way of life. What's going on with the Cardassians and Bajorans? The Klingons? What made the Andorians turn on the Federation?? There are tons of fascinating stories and we get a What If for a story that no one cares about.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Azhais posted:

Starfleet being Necromongers explains a lot

Makes perfect sense actually, the Necromongers were on a crusade to get to another universe where everything was even grimdarker

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Klingons similarly are allowed to question one's leadership and the result being they gotta battle it out for who has the job now but no one's like "I DON'T GET HOW KLINGONS WORK HOW DO THEY EXIST."

Unlike DS9 what we've seen of the mirror universe in TOS and Discovery is just the flagship level most absolute highest tier assholes so it's expected.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neo Rasa posted:

Klingons similarly are allowed to question one's leadership and the result being they gotta battle it out for who has the job now but no one's like "I DON'T GET HOW KLINGONS WORK HOW DO THEY EXIST."

Unlike DS9 what we've seen of the mirror universe in TOS and Discovery is just the flagship level most absolute highest tier assholes so it's expected.

Klingons aren't constantly scheming behind each others' backs. A klingon duel is when one of them can no longer trust the captain after making a terrible decision. I don't think it's on a whim because they want to be captain. I would say it is because they think they have the crew's well being in mind better than the captain.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epicurius posted:

It's a great scene. Real Kirk McCoy, Scotty and Uhura finally realize that if they slipped into the evil dimension, their evil counterparts are in the real one, and Kirk looks panicked as he wonders what they'll do to his ship. Cut to real Spock and some security people manhandling the evil crew into a cell in the brig while they curse at him.

Spock is unquestionably the best part of the Original Series, not to take away from anyone else on that show. He plays that scene with 100% perfection?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
And now I can put a finger on what was bothering me with these MU episodes.

Goatees.

Rather, the lack of them.

I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think all of the males had goatees. And none of the females did. Sure, Mirror Michael stood in such a corny evil stance that it looked like she had end-stage scoliosis, but the makeup artists couldn't be bothered to give her a goatee? Why does the biological difference between terrans and humans have to be some weird genetic thing? Why not goatees?

Sure, maybe they shave the goatees because they're self-conscious about their looks. But then wouldn't you see a bunch of shorn-off goatees laying around on the floor? I didn't see any janitors, so nobody's sweeping up the goatees.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cojawfee posted:

Klingons aren't constantly scheming behind each others' backs. A klingon duel is when one of them can no longer trust the captain after making a terrible decision. I don't think it's on a whim because they want to be captain. I would say it is because they think they have the crew's well being in mind better than the captain.

You kind of lost me here. :P

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Cojawfee posted:

Klingons aren't constantly scheming behind each others' backs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gowron didn't scheme behind your back. He schemed right in your face.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GABA ghoul posted:

I guess if you look at real life nazi society it wasn't all a bumbling, backstabbing clusterfuck. Nazis left a lot of the economy and administration alone because they needed poo poo to actually function. Like, if you were some cashier in a department store you weren't planning to murder you boss for a career bump. Everything below middle management on MU Earth might be a lot more relaxed.

Yeah, except when one of the assholes comes to visit your store, farm, factory etc.

Imagine teaching your kids sex ed, which necessarily has to include what to do if a higher ranking rear end in a top hat decides he wants to have sex with you. Don't refuse, that could make things worse for your whole family. Be good enough that the jerk will leave satisfied, but not so good that he'll take you with him.

Discussing with your pretty teenagers if they want to try to stay hidden until childbirth and whatnot takes the bloom off the rose, or if they want to attach themselves to a powerful person and try to collect as much jewellery and whatnot as possible before they get tossed aside for a younger model. Being a rich man's or woman's mistress can get you a nice nest egg then you can go home at 30 and have a better life than if you'd stayed home the whole time, but on the downside you risk being assassinated by someone who wants to take your place.

Not just sex either. If you want to be an artist you want to be good enough that people will buy your art, but not so good that they will buy your art and then cut off your hands to drive up the value. In all things aim to be somewhere between "mediocre" and "pretty good" but never so terrible or so excellent that you draw attention.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

this is a weird tangent

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, except when one of the assholes comes to visit your store, farm, factory etc.

Imagine teaching your kids sex ed, which necessarily has to include what to do if a higher ranking rear end in a top hat decides he wants to have sex with you. Don't refuse, that could make things worse for your whole family. Be good enough that the jerk will leave satisfied, but not so good that he'll take you with him.

Discussing with your pretty teenagers if they want to try to stay hidden until childbirth and whatnot takes the bloom off the rose, or if they want to attach themselves to a powerful person and try to collect as much jewellery and whatnot as possible before they get tossed aside for a younger model. Being a rich man's or woman's mistress can get you a nice nest egg then you can go home at 30 and have a better life than if you'd stayed home the whole time, but on the downside you risk being assassinated by someone who wants to take your place.

Not just sex either. If you want to be an artist you want to be good enough that people will buy your art, but not so good that they will buy your art and then cut off your hands to drive up the value. In all things aim to be somewhere between "mediocre" and "pretty good" but never so terrible or so excellent that you draw attention.

:yikes:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Klingons are also shown to have a semi normal society in the background and the honor duel poo poo is mainly the frontline warriors and some performative BS from the politicians

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm just saying there's no nice part of the mirror universe. Not even a modest human shopkeeper or farmer with no ambition is completely free of the bullshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope the me from the mirror universe is out there being better at kicking rear end and being an rear end in a top hat than prime me is. Or that they at least died in a cool and/or funny way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope the me from the mirror universe is out there being better at kicking rear end and being an rear end in a top hat than prime me is. Or that they at least died in a cool and/or funny way.

In the mirror universe, goons are all-powerful Illuminati puppeteering nations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A.o.D. posted:

Gowron didn't scheme behind your back. He schemed right in your face.

Duras was scheming behind backs he and got killed for it when he backstabbed the wrong woman

EDIT: Duras also rocked a sword instead of a Bat'leth so they had to know he was a freak

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm just saying there's no nice part of the mirror universe. Not even a modest human shopkeeper or farmer with no ambition is completely free of the bullshit.

I believe that this is a false equivalency, since I don't think the MU was based specifically on nazi germany as much as it was just comically over-the-top evil.

Comparing the details of the MU's everyday shmoes to the hosed-up details of growing up under fascism is putting way more thought into it than any Trek writer ever did.

Basically: I think we can talk about whether it's possible to run a liquor store in the MU without your shelf-stocker shanking you in the back, without discussing strategies for dealing with an occupying soldier who wants to rape your daughter

e: really the critical question we should be analyzing is:

tarlibone posted:

Why not goatees?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I guess timeline-wise it would've been too early to address this in Disco season 1, but wasn't TNG's MU dominated by a Klingon/Cardassian allegiance? I feel like the Terrans being all angry and trusting nobody makes more sense if they had to contend with even more extreme warrior caste and military domination-focused empires without the diplomacy of Starfleet. I don't know if they've ever addressed what the MU Dominion is like, or Borg or Romulans, but it seems like puny squishy Terrans would be one of the lowest rungs on the ladder in a cutthroat warlike galaxy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sticklefifer posted:

I guess timeline-wise it would've been too early to address this in Disco season 1, but wasn't TNG's MU dominated by a Klingon/Cardassian allegiance? I feel like the Terrans being all angry and trusting nobody makes more sense if they had to contend with even more extreme warrior caste and military domination-focused empires without the diplomacy of Starfleet. I don't know if they've ever addressed what the MU Dominion is like, or Borg or Romulans, but it seems like puny squishy Terrans would be one of the lowest rungs on the ladder in a cutthroat warlike galaxy.

In DS9 Worf is in the Klingon Cardassian Alliance. They were a strong faction, but I don't think we ever learned much of the overall political situation. The Breen or the Tholians could have been hella powerful, just not in the area around Bajor.

In TNG MU comics Worf was a slave on the Enterprise, so good on him for escaping and becoming chancellor or whatever by DS9.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Congrats this thread put more thought into the backstory of the mirror universe than most of the writers rooms.

Mirror universe always falls apart for me when its like oh yes, completely different circumstances still brought the cast together on a slightly worse lit ship.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hope it's warm there, I'd hate to think mirror me is cold and sleeveless

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

In DS9 Worf is in the Klingon Cardassian Alliance. They were a strong faction, but I don't think we ever learned much of the overall political situation. The Breen or the Tholians could have been hella powerful, just not in the area around Bajor.

In TNG MU comics Worf was a slave on the Enterprise, so good on him for escaping and becoming chancellor or whatever by DS9.

I think the joke is that TOS MU Spock is successful in rebelling against and reforming the Terran Empire, which turns out to be a disaster because everyone else in the universe is still a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brawnfire posted:

I hope it's warm there, I'd hate to think mirror me is cold and sleeveless

Don't worry, those dudes work out. Because when Picard invites you to the gun show you don't want to be shown up by your 60 year old Captain.

The swole will keep you warm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't worry, those dudes work out. Because when Picard invites you to the gun show you don't want to be shown up by your 60 year old Captain.

The swole will keep you warm.

Picard looks okay but it looks like the artist was forced to draw Data and Troi based off of verbal instructions only and wasn't allowed to look at any reference photos.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor Nutt posted:

Picard looks okay but it looks like the artist was forced to draw Data and Troi based off of verbal instructions only and wasn't allowed to look at any reference photos.

Lookit Wesley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

apatheticman posted:

Congrats this thread put more thought into the backstory of the mirror universe than most of the writers rooms.

Mirror universe always falls apart for me when its like oh yes, completely different circumstances still brought the cast together on a slightly worse lit ship.

here's the underpinning logic of the mirror universe: we gotta crap out about two dozen episodes for the network and don't have infinite money to do so. for an episode or two why don't we have the cast act coked up and show more skin, then just say there's a whole universe of evil twins