Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If I didn't keep my list to games that actually came out this year 13/AI would have been 1/2

I played AI in March which might as well have been ten years ago at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Walla posted:

Started up Kentucky Route Zero and uh, this is a thing.

The basement of the gas station is a horse's body inhabited by ghosts playing D&D with a road map? The hell is this?

I was pretty bored by kr0 for most of the gameplay but i respect its style

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walla posted:

The basement of the gas station is a horse's body inhabited by ghosts playing D&D with a road map? The hell is this?

hark the voice of jesus calling

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

I was pretty bored by kr0 for most of the gameplay but i respect its style

Yeah. Same issue with Oxenfree and Afterlife. Great stories, somewhat botched presentation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah. Same issue with Oxenfree and Afterlife. Great stories, somewhat botched presentation

I liked oxenfree but yeah afterlife was zzzz

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Convex posted:

loving hell this is a hell of a Cyberpunk glitch video

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kgwqxa/just_another_lovely_morning_in_night_city/

(don't think I can directly link the video here)
I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing. Messing around with the debug console? I've 60 hours on the game and not remotely seen poo poo like that. :confused:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Liking it so far but I love kinetic visual novels and adventure games.

And any game with the message "games" is not real is going places.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing. Messing around with the debug console? I've 60 hours on the game and not remotely seen poo poo like that. :confused:

not that exquisitely orchestrated, but i have

https://i.imgur.com/IKiYCk0.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/mqOpksY.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ItIHz0Z.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/7qaaJ5u.mp4

most of these happened during the same play session

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

I liked oxenfree but yeah afterlife was zzzz

I feel like Oxenfree kinda slips at the halfway mark or so

Like, once there's extremely blatant spooky stuff going on, especially where the ghosts start literally talking to you and taunting you and things are actually seeming dangerous... maybe not the best time to have several sections in a row where you have to slowly walk back to a location with nothing actually happening during the walk

Seemed odd, like there had originally been some other stuff in there

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rinkles posted:

most of these happened during the same play session
Cars ignoring blockades at Biotechnica I've seen, and getting sometimes catapulted, as displayed, when physics disagree with geometry, but that's about it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cars ignoring blockades at Biotechnica I've seen, and getting sometimes catapulted, as displayed, when physics disagree with geometry, but that's about it.

none of it is game ruining (honestly, most of them are fun). crashing is the big issue (on consoles), though that's gotten a bit better since the last patch.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's tremendously funny that a single motorcycle parked in the road can cause all of Night City to just impotently stop functioning

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm so glad ps plus got just cause 4 for free.

There is some goofy rear end physics in it with the boosters

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Walla posted:

It’s a transcendent experience

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

I feel like Oxenfree kinda slips at the halfway mark or so

Like, once there's extremely blatant spooky stuff going on, especially where the ghosts start literally talking to you and taunting you and things are actually seeming dangerous... maybe not the best time to have several sections in a row where you have to slowly walk back to a location with nothing actually happening during the walk

Seemed odd, like there had originally been some other stuff in there

Yeah true but it starts with good impetus vs afterlife which is like "hey friend i hope you like walking for 10 mins between every fake sounding conversation and the bad minigame" in the first hour

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oxenfree and Afterlife, like many indie adventure games, prove the absolute necessity of a run button

Night in the Woods had this problem too now that I think on it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in video games, as in life, you can't run away from your problems

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Run towards the alien from Alien

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If I didn't keep my list to games that actually came out this year 13/AI would have been 1/2

I played AI in March which might as well have been ten years ago at this point

This.

Ai somnium is high in my top 10 but I played it in January and I feel like I've almost forgotten it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Act 1 was uh... The caves were caves, ok, except there's a stage where musicians played before they drilled too deep and flooded the place. And then the tv gets fixed and the barn is an illusion but the horses weren't? And something bad happened to Lysette's son?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's capitalism

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

KRZ easily #1 game of the year for me, not even close

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yesterday i got very frustrated by a boss fight in sonic and secret rings and put it down not intending to finish it. today i looked at a guide and realized i was very close to the end so i gave it another shot and got through the fight fairly painlessly, and finished the game a short while ago

it's...a flawed and frustrating game because it so clearly could have been really cool. the gameplay is a bridge between the slapdash mach speed sections of sonic 06 and the lauded boost gameplay of unleashed, colors, and generations. the 1001 arabian nights dressing is a lot of fun, the levels are all beautiful (especially night palace), and the different types of missions keep things interesting moment to moment. you'll go from collecting king solomon's bones to rescuing sinbad from some pirates to fighting an ifrit to tracking down some misplaced dinosaur eggs. the game is fairly non-linear, finishing one mission will unlock several others, and you can jump around more or less however you want. and the concept of a sonic game where you're constantly running forward is a great one, imo; i've loved the boss fights in previous games that involve lots of running instead of standing around. most of the cutscenes are presented as illustrations in the book the game takes place in

unfortunately all of these cool things are kinda ruined by the absolute garbage controls. i'm willing to accept that my wiimote may be old and not as receptive as a new one could be, but good gravy is doing anything requiring any precision or reflex a chore in this game. sonic is always running forward and you move left and right by tilting the wiimote. you back up by rotating the wiimote toward you, and do the homing attack with a waggle. someone also decided players needed a level up system, which will allow you to equip skills that...let you move left and right more easily or jump farther or accelerate at a reasonable pace. so you have to play half the game just to make sonic somewhat responsive, but the inputs are still so finicky that you will be holding your controller upside down or holding down the jump button and wondering why sonic is still barreling forward

sometimes things work out. the first mission in every level is to just run through the entire thing and those are a blast. but sometimes they don't and those missions really drag the whole experience down. anyway darkspine sonic has racing stripes and that's fun

next up is sonic rush adventure

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

"At least the video will be funny" - man hit in balls

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walla posted:

Act 1 was uh... The caves were caves, ok, except there's a stage where musicians played before they drilled too deep and flooded the place. And then the tv gets fixed and the barn is an illusion but the horses weren't? And something bad happened to Lysette's son?

serious question, are you familiar with magical realism at all

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

in video games, as in life, you can't run away from your problems

Yes but these games don't even let you run toward your problems

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

serious question, are you familiar with magical realism at all

More or less, but this is my fun exposure in game form. I'm stopping at the interlude.

The ghosts who play D&D view an art exhibit? And Lula gets way too personal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walla posted:

More or less, but this is my fun exposure in game form. I'm stopping at the interlude.

The ghosts who play D&D view an art exhibit? And Lula gets way too personal.

limits & demonstrations was the first thing cardboard computer actually released, and along with KR0's fixation on theatre and installation artwork it's sort of a preview as to how the game's world is structured. like the Pathologic games, it's operating on a couple different layers of reality at once, where the worlds of some characters and those of others aren't entirely congruent. the "ghosts" aren't ghosts per se, they just weren't sharing the same stage, or exhibit, as conway at that particular point in time

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Kentucky route zero, like disco elysium, is far better than the discussion about them would have you believe

Like holy crap lol @ the post above mine

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it's a perfectly valid reading of it though???

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

it's a perfectly valid reading of it though???

Lighten up, Francis. I'm just poking fun.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really need to play KR0 now that it's all out. I think I played the first three parts as they came out, so I'll start again from the beginning.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kentucky Route 0/10

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm enjoying it.

And I get the framing device, I just enjoy messing with it on it's terms. The Ghosts Who Play D&D will probably remain etched in my consciousness because that's how I first perceived them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
KRZ is large, it contains multitudes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Emily is one of my favorite characters, and I enjoyed going through both versions of Un Pueblo de Nada lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

nah they're all good kids
Gouto is a loving knowitall nerd with no friends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Kentucky route zero, like disco elysium, is far better than the discussion about them would have you believe

I remember a bunch of people being really skeptical of Disco Elysium because all anyone seemed to talk about for a while were the twitter-friendly lefty politics jokes and so a lot of people assumed it was just some leftist meme game. But it's also such an imaginative RPG with a ton of emotional resonance and catharsis. I hope some of those people gave it a chance eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

been watching through Buffy recently, think I gotta start Angel now too. Why aren't there any buffy games? Could be a really scary game, full of terrifying things like joss whedon's 90s version of feminism, his anachronistic hatred for celine dion and cher as symbols of demonically bad taste, Xander saying proto-incel poo poo occasionally to women's faces, spike eat hot blood, or jump scares where a new slayer pops up in talks with such a bad fake patois it makes Miss Cleo sound authentic.
Angel is great, better than Buffy imo

all the Buffy games have been terrible unfortunately