Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Sydney outbreak spread to Queensland a few days ago and has now spread to Melbourne. So far the known interstate cases have all been caught in quarantine and seem to have been contained, and Melbourne has now gone 53 days without any local community spread.

Oh and it turns out that the returned traveler who brought the Sydney outbreak back to Melbourne lives in the suburb next to mine, awwwwwwwwwwwesome.

https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1341140709013860352
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/victoria-reports-new-coronavirus-case-acquired-in-sydney/13002672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh and it turns out that the returned traveler [...] lives in the suburb next to mine, awwwwwwwwwwwesome.

reading this post is like time traveling back to february

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
we should be thankful viruses don't work like plague inc where they all mutate simultaneously across the world

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The Sydney outbreak spread to Queensland a few days ago and has now spread to Melbourne. So far the known interstate cases have all been caught in quarantine and seem to have been contained, and Melbourne has now gone 53 days without any local community spread.

Oh and it turns out that the returned traveler who brought the Sydney outbreak back to Melbourne lives in the suburb next to mine, awwwwwwwwwwwesome.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/victoria-reports-new-coronavirus-case-acquired-in-sydney/13002672

I think I saw somewhere that the super covid has been detected in a couple of people in quarantine too.

I hope the state premiers start calling it the Sydney Flu

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

I think I saw somewhere that the super covid has been detected in a couple of people in quarantine too.

Yep:

quote:

Asked about the new strain at a press conference, NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said two returned travellers from the UK who tested positive to COVID-19 were found to be carrying the mutated variant of the virus.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-21/uk-new-covid-strain-detected-in-australian-returned-travellers/13002382

ymgve posted:

we should be thankful viruses don't work like plague inc where they all mutate simultaneously across the world

A separate mutation with similar properties has also been detected in South Africa :ssh:

https://twitter.com/DrZweliMkhize/status/1339991461421584386

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
is there a list of how many strains?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I need to know which one causes the most boner damage.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I don't know which ones are best but https://nextstrain.org/sars-cov-2/ has been up since the beginning.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hadlock posted:

Good news, there is just 8 short of 3,000 private hospitals in Mexico

-Go check private hospital
-ask and buy vaccine.
-you now super immune to all covids.

Anyways, can't wait for super covid to wreck through my city. yay!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nextstrain uses the nsaid database which is the go-to but they seem to be lagging behind the actual database a bit, no idea what's up with that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ymgve posted:

I remember that game. This is exactly what I did, then I turned the bug super deadly and killed everyone. Very efficient.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Coronavirus has been detected in Antarctica and has now officially spread to every continent on the globe

quote:

Antarctica can no longer lay claim to being the only continent free of coronavirus after 36 Chileans reportedly tested positive for COVID-19.

Spanish-language media has reported up to 36 people connected with the Chilean Army base General Bernardo O'Higgins Riquelme tested positive for the virus on Monday.

The research station, known colloquially as O'Higgins, is one of 13 active Chilean bases in Antarctica.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/coronavirus-cases-confirmed-in-antarctica/13007596

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think it'll be OK. Sydney has crushed larger outbreaks than this. Just loving sucks that it was right before Christmas and thousands of people won't get to see family after all.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you guys loving Brexit yet? Like you've been on the roadmap for that since before Trump was elected.

They're still arguing about movement and trade, whilst we have a 20 mile queue of lorries on the way to Dover because France won't let anyone from the plague island in for 48 hours at least.

So we're likely to crash out with no agreement, which will probably cause problems with getting vaccines/medicine/food imported. Sounds like ideal timing and a great move to me! Taking back control! :doh:

(Edit: Current final final definitely not getting extended that's it deadline is the end of December)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Brexit already happened but its like when you cancel a subscription and you still have some time left on it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This subscription you can't resubscribe to though and cancelling it costs you money instead of saving it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddam hypercovid :argh:

I'm really curious about the details of the vaccine production now. Assuming you can just pop up the factories almost anywhere in the first world, the production capacity for the vaccine seems to be limited by capital only. So, how much would it have cost us to double or triple the target product numbers for Q1 2021? Who decided that having everyone vaccinated by ~2022 only was the sweet spot for investment? How much can a production line for it and precursors possibly cost? Does anyone have numbers on this?

legooolas posted:

They're still arguing about movement and trade, whilst we have a 20 mile queue of lorries on the way to Dover because France won't let anyone from the plague island in for 48 hours at least.

So we're likely to crash out with no agreement, which will probably cause problems with getting vaccines/medicine/food imported. Sounds like ideal timing and a great move to me! Taking back control! :doh:

(Edit: Current final final definitely not getting extended that's it deadline is the end of December)

News yesterday was that the UK is only a couple days away from having food shortages for certain products. The Bojo idiots were ~7 work days away from a hard brexit and miles long truck queues at the borders on January 1st and they have nothing prepared? No strategic cheese reserves or banana silos? Lmao

I don't even know what the point of another extension would be. What's going to be different in another month? Why drag this out? Covid numbers are going to be even worse in January

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
At this point the EU should not give another extension. Instead, they should make a hard cut and then send humanitarian aid in terms of medicine and food for the people. Boris tries so very hard to reduce the UK to a third world country after all.

I do feel for the people though, even if this all started with an extremely dumb popular vote.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hopper posted:

At this point the EU should not give another extension. Instead, they should make a hard cut and then send humanitarian aid in terms of medicine and food for the people. Boris tries so very hard to reduce the UK to a third world country after all.

I do feel for the people though, even if this all started with an extremely dumb popular vote.

I'm inside this clusterfuck and i think a short, sharp, shock might be the only way to get through to the loonies in charge. :(

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i watched vincent racaniello's video about the UK variant and his opinion in the absence of further evidence is there isn't a compelling reason to think this variant spreads more easily than any other, and the higher spread may just be due to superspreader events that happened to be spreading that variant

hopefully that is indeed the case. though this thing is so widespread now it seems inevitable that at some point it'll come up with something new we don't like

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Unicef started donating food to starving British children and the human caricatures who had voted against feeding them got all keyed up about this being a political stunt just trying to make them look bad.

I don't think anything is going to get through to them; they were always scheming to smash and grab.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mozi posted:

i watched vincent racaniello's video about the UK variant and his opinion in the absence of further evidence is there isn't a compelling reason to think this variant spreads more easily than any other, and the higher spread may just be due to superspreader events that happened to be spreading that variant

hopefully that is indeed the case. though this thing is so widespread now it seems inevitable that at some point it'll come up with something new we don't like

Lots of people are thinking that Boris hyped it up to distract from Brexit but didn't think that the rest of the world would care...... oops?!? :stonklol:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

Lots of people are thinking that Boris hyped it up to distract from Brexit but didn't think that the rest of the world would care...... oops?!? :stonklol:

well i don't think it's related to brexit, i think boris really did want to keep things opened up for christmas. locking down again is kind of a sign of failure and if anything it's going to make the effects of brexit even worse for them. so the only way i could understand that is if this variant was indeed something to be concerned about. still might be but they may have jumped the gun. on the other hand, cases were going up so variant or not another lockdown was probably necessary

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My in-laws wanted my wife and I to come visit them (about a 2 hour drive) for Christmas. We agreed to hang out outside for a bit, exchange gifts, then leave.

This morning they text my wife "Really excited to see you on Christmas! Just FYI we will be attending in-person service on Christmas Eve, but we'll be safe."

See ya next summer, in-laws.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Public Health England have a good technical write-up on the new variant.
Highlights:

PHE posted:

Statistical modelling of the relationship between the frequency of VOC detection and the reproduction number Rt indicates that the VOC is significantly associated with a higher reproduction number. We find that Rt increases by 0.57 [95%CI: 0.25-1.25] when we use a fixed effect model for each area. Using a random effect model for each area gives an estimated additive effect of 0.74 [95%CI: 0.44-1.29]
Three of these mutations have potential biological effects that have been described previously to varying extents:
•Mutation N501Y is one of six key contact residues within the receptor-binding domain (RBD) and has been identified as increasing binding affinity to human ACE2.
•The spike deletion 69-70del has also occurred a number of times in association with other RBD changes.
•Mutation P681H is immediately adjacent to the furin cleavage site, a known location of biological significance.
Antigenicity: Position 501 is in the RBD, where neutralising antibodies most frequently act, and therefore it is possible that variants at this position affect the efficacy of neutralisation of virus.
This poo poo is why you don't let a virus get established.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm inside this clusterfuck and i think a short, sharp, shock might be the only way to get through to the loonies in charge. :(
I can think of another :thermidor:.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 22, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How long will it take before they'll start to call this new strain COVID-20?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

How long will it take before they'll start to call this new strain COVID-20?

I've already seen that trending on Twitter (along with 'Plague Island' and '28 Days Later').

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Someone's got a link to that furry cleavage site ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Novel, novel, coronavirus

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it'll be 2019-SARS-CoV-2-2-2020-UK69-420

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

PHE posted:

Statistical modelling of the relationship between the frequency of VOC detection and the reproduction number Rt indicates that the VOC is significantly associated with a higher reproduction number. We find that Rt increases by 0.57 [95%CI: 0.25-1.25] when we use a fixed effect model for each area. Using a random effect model for each area gives an estimated additive effect of 0.74 [95%CI: 0.44-1.29]
Three of these mutations have potential biological effects that have been described previously to varying extents:
•Mutation N501Y is one of six key contact residues within the receptor-binding domain (RBD) and has been identified as increasing binding affinity to human ACE2.
•The spike deletion 69-70del has also occurred a number of times in association with other RBD changes.
•Mutation P681H is immediately adjacent to the furin cleavage site, a known location of biological significance.
Antigenicity: Position 501 is in the RBD, where neutralising antibodies most frequently act, and therefore it is possible that variants at this position affect the efficacy of neutralisation of virus..

I'm really glad that there are a lot of people much smarter than me working their asses off to deal with all this.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I live in the covid capital of America currently in cities with less than one million people according to the white house.

Nothing is shutdown, mask mandate but not enforced, pretty much every job is deemed essential. Hell yeah.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pretty sure my dad ended up with a false positive test. He tested negative for a surgery 2 months ago, and negative a week after. He was set for another surgery later this week, and tested positive so the surgery has been cancelled.

Except neither he nor my mom have left the house for 2 months, and my mom is the type to totally gown up just to sanitize packages outdoors, and neither have shown symptoms.

The fun news is he has decided he is just going to rip his G tube out himself so he will end up at the ER anyway to have it closed up :smith:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Family of U.S. Student Jailed for Quarantine Violation Pleads for Her Release
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/world/americas/skylar-mack-cayman-islands-covid.html

quote:

The family of an 18-year-old college student who broke the Cayman Islands’ coronavirus laws on a trip last month has pleaded for her release from prison ahead of a hearing on Tuesday before a panel of judges who will decide whether her appeal can proceed.

“She cries, she wants to come home,” the student’s grandmother, Jeanne Mack, said on NBC’s “Today” show on Monday. “She knows she made a mistake. She owns up to that, but she’s pretty hysterical right now.”

Skylar Mack and her boyfriend, Vanjae Ramgeet, 24, were sentenced to four months in prison after violating the Cayman Island’s required 14-day quarantine period for visitors.

In late November, with her semester at Mercer University in Georgia complete, Ms. Mack flew to the Cayman Islands to watch her boyfriend compete in the islands’ Jet Ski racing national championship.

When she arrived, however, there was a problem.

She got there on a Friday; the championship was on Sunday. And per the country’s laws, she was required to remain in her hotel room for 14 days before going anywhere else on the islands.

To elude the restrictions, Ms. Mack, after receiving a negative coronavirus test, slipped an electronic monitoring bracelet from her wrist and escaped to a beach on Grand Cayman’s South Sound, where she saw Mr. Ramgeet win first place.

But the event organizers were notified that Ms. Mack may have been in breach of the rules and the police were called, her lawyer said. Ms. Mack was charged with leaving her home during the quarantine period, and Mr. Ramgeet was charged with aiding and abetting her. They were sentenced to four months in prison for the quarantine breach.

“This was as flagrant a breach as could be imagined,” Justice Roger Chapple said in court during the sentencing, according to the Cayman Compass, a news website in the Cayman Islands. “It was born of selfishness and arrogance.”

The islands, a British territory of nearly 65,000 residents, have reported 316 infections and two deaths, as of Monday, with no reported cases of local transmission since July. Only people who have been preauthorized to enter the Cayman Islands can travel there, and they must quarantine for 14 days in a government facility, a private facility or at home, if approved.

Upon arrival to the island, visitors receive an electronic smart wristband and are equipped with a cellphone with an app, called Stay Safe Cayman. Using the app, they must log where they are quarantining. Visitors cannot end quarantines until they can show negative results from tests taken on their 15th day on the island, government officials said

Ms. Mack’s relatives in suburban Atlanta scrambled to pull together letters from friends and family attesting to her character in an effort to get the sentence overturned on appeal, said Jeanne Mack, 68.

Jeanne Mack also wrote to President Trump for help. She received a response from the Office of Presidential Correspondence last week stating that her correspondence had been forwarded “to the appropriate federal agency for further action.”

Justice Chapple said last week in court that “the gravity of the breach was such that the only appropriate sentence would have been one of immediate imprisonment,” according to the Cayman Compass, a news website in the Cayman Islands.

The family and Skylar, a junior pre-med student, make no illusions about what happened, her grandmother said: What she did was wrong.

“I’ll do everything to get you home, and when I get you here, I’m going to kick your butt,” Jeanne Mack said. “We’re not saying, ‘poor, innocent Skylar.’ We’re simply saying the punishment does not meet the crime.”

Skylar Mack and Mr. Ramgeet pleaded guilty to breaking the quarantine rules and were initially sentenced to 40 hours of community service and a fine of 2,600 Cayman Islands dollars (about $3,100). But the punishment was increased last week after the prosecutor appealed, saying the initial sentences were “unduly lenient and wrong in principle.”

Jeanne Mack said that if the panel of judges on Tuesday decides that her appeal can proceed, then the family hopes that she will be released on bond pending the appeal.

booo hooo get hosed

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

loving pre-meds

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jet skis should be banned, generally speaking.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
They should be jailed for the concept of a jet ski completion alone

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They can go ahead and keep her longer than 4 months.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
a couple months seems quite fair. four is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Those sort of measures should be in place loving everywhere. Mandatory quarantine with actual consequences for breaching them.

I’d say state borders too, but no way that’ll happen here.