Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Their original name was hrhhrrnndeer, after the sound they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
oh so they're pokemon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do moose go “moose” or “elk”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oddly enough they go "waaaaapiti," which honestly just makes everything even worse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

megafauna are cool as hell and I wish we hadn't killed most of them

I think climate change might have had something to do with it.

Memento posted:

Things here can sneak up on you, would be my guess. But yeah, I would absolutely prefer snakes and spiders to things like the North American fauna where it can decide you look tasty and just eat you.

The difference is that moose and mountain lions are rare as gently caress in the continental US, relatively speaking. Don't you guys have something like the "common brown snake" that's on the top 10 deadliest snake list?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

I think climate change might have had something to do with it.

The difference is that moose and mountain lions are rare as gently caress in the continental US, relatively speaking. Don't you guys have something like the "common brown snake" that's on the top 10 deadliest snake list?

It's up in the deadly list because it's always pissed and going on the attack, not because the poison is insanely deadly. Sure the poison will still kill you but it's the angry that really makes this one shine.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Today I found out that moose don't range as far south as I thought they did. Oops.

Northern Canada here, but where I live, they're kind of ubiquitous. The last time I saw a moose was this past spring when a cow and two calves wandered into the local university's parking lot early one morning.

(They were adorable but I enjoyed them from a cautious distance.)

I see bears about the same frequency, around once a year. I have never seen a cougar, though they do live here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inceltown posted:

It's up in the deadly list because it's always pissed and going on the attack, not because the poison is insanely deadly. Sure the poison will still kill you but it's the angry that really makes this one shine.

Uh it's literally second only to the taipan in venemousness. It's just that snake venom, in particular, is not super deadly to humans with access to modern technology.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are already american elk that are a different thing from moose, hence the confusion

Ah yes but in Portuguese those would just be “veado grande”, or big deer.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Most of Australia's deadliest snakes live out in the outback where there a very very few people, so you'd really have to go looking for them. Snake bites are rare and deaths even rarer.
The snakes in India and SE Asia are deadlier, comparatively, because they are where the people are, so the chance of getting bitten just doing your thing is far higher and healthcare access is more limited.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Running from the coastal hellscape full of sharks, killer jellyfish, and crocodiles to the comforting safety of the arid snake filled interior.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

Uh it's literally second only to the taipan in venemousness. It's just that snake venom, in particular, is not super deadly to humans with access to modern technology.

See, not even the most venomous land snake :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

What if they challenge you to 1v1, no items, final destination

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

What if they challenge you to 1v1, no items, final destination

I could definitely win, they don't even have thumbs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

Running from the coastal hellscape full of sharks, killer jellyfish, and crocodiles to the comforting safety of the arid snake filled interior.

Goons, still terrified of the ocean :thunk:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RoboRodent posted:

Today I found out that moose don't range as far south as I thought they did. Oops.

Northern Canada here, but where I live, they're kind of ubiquitous. The last time I saw a moose was this past spring when a cow and two calves wandered into the local university's parking lot early one morning.

(They were adorable but I enjoyed them from a cautious distance.)

I see bears about the same frequency, around once a year. I have never seen a cougar, though they do live here.

Your megafaunaposting is extra fun under the assumption that your avatar is actually your portrait.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

under the assumption that your avatar is actually your portrait.

This is not an assumption, it's an established avatar fact for every user.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

*scrolls page* wow, that does work.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Can confirm

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inceltown posted:

Can confirm

you're a cat from Wikihow who is also the lemon face from the Simpsons whose brain is constantly crack-ping'ing

This is very concerning.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I can't actually grow facial hair.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I can't actually grow facial hair.

:mods:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm five and that's SPECIAL

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m what happens when cats learn to use computers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is a real game that exists and the brouzouf and whatnot memes are not the made-up weirdomythology memes, those are something else.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is a real game that exists

I have more than forty hours played in that game and I'm not convinced this is true.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm a space oops

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Memento posted:

I have more than forty hours played in that game and I'm not convinced this is true.

I remember playing that game at release because 'multiplayer Deus Ex, fuckin SWEET' and now I have 10 hours in it and the last thing I remember was that if you talked to an NPC that someone else is talking to it would soft lock with no input allowed, they have to hard reboot their computer, couldn't even ctrl-alt-del because I think the game was eating the input.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
hm

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

"Ftfy" stands for "fixed that for you", and not "gently caress this, gently caress you."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

"Ftfy" stands for "fixed that for you", and also "gently caress this, gently caress you."

FTFY

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
fixed that, gently caress you

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

"Ftfy" stands for "fixed that for you", and not "gently caress this, gently caress you."

It depends on context, really

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fun moose fact: Predators of moose include humans of course, bears, wolves, siberian tigers, and orcas.

Memento posted:

Things here can sneak up on you, would be my guess. But yeah, I would absolutely prefer snakes and spiders to things like the North American fauna where it can decide you look tasty and just eat you.

In like 4 more years we'll have eradicated all the dangerous ones here through territory destruction. Australia is 90% uninhabitable by humans, so the dangerous animals can all prosper.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Fun moose fact: Predators of moose include humans of course, bears, wolves, siberian tigers, and orcas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7wU8Vjvrk

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

God help us all if moose ever discover the power of flight

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I would have thought that the way gravity works that the moose was risking a pretty severe bone break.

Then again my wife loves this one movie where they jump horses off a high dive in the 1930s or something, so what do I know?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

God help us all if moose ever discover the power of flight

They'd have to be pretty spruce to achieve that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wanna go cliff diving with moose bro. When can fist bump each other after diving - give him the ole moose knuckle.