Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
One of the YouTubers (Rene Ritchie I think) referred to the fans coming on for the Pro/Mini as "proof of life".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the answer. Would I have to get a hdmi splitter or something to run two monitors

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

if they're both hdmi, you probably want a usb-c -> hdmi adapter

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-Type-C-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B01M3PTUV6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks for the answer. Would I have to get a hdmi splitter or something to run two monitors

definitely don't run them off a splitter if you can run them off of two ports instead. Just get a USB-C to HDMI cable or dongle.

and, if it wasn't obvious, you may find yourself doing a tiny bit of keyboard remapping in Settings if you don't like the way Apple automatically assigns the keys (I've never had a problem with it myself, but depending on the layout of your keyboard you might not get a 1-to-1 muscle memory replacement automatically, and find yourself remapping your CTRL/ALT/WIN keys and so forth)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Do note that you can get this in cable form and save yourself from having to have a bulky adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/WARRKY-Gold-...08587678&sr=8-3

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got an M1 MBA and, uh, this is way better than my 2019 MBP. It runs silent, rarely gets warm, and it hasn’t had any slowdown from any of my personal stress tests.

In my everyday usage, it hasn’t exceeded 4GB of RAM yet. Really excellent.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I signed up for the parallels technical preview and tried it out. After jumping a hurdle or two I’ve got 2 Debian vms installed. One has no GUI and works like a charm. The other I installed gnome and xfce, it works but parallels tools are not yet arm64 compatible. It feels good that it “works” already though.

I downloaded the arm64 windows release but haven’t tried installing it yet. I’m curious if one of the kali arm releases will work out of the box cus that would be really nice.

So far I don’t like parallels as much as VMware so I hope they are not far behind.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok Comboomer posted:

definitely don't run them off a splitter if you can run them off of two ports instead. Just get a USB-C to HDMI cable or dongle.

and, if it wasn't obvious, you may find yourself doing a tiny bit of keyboard remapping in Settings if you don't like the way Apple automatically assigns the keys (I've never had a problem with it myself, but depending on the layout of your keyboard you might not get a 1-to-1 muscle memory replacement automatically, and find yourself remapping your CTRL/ALT/WIN keys and so forth)

Thanks, I actually am the inverse where I have to remap windows due to my usage of my macbook lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thanks, I actually am the inverse where I have to remap windows due to my usage of my macbook lol

cool, well you may have to do that on your keyboard- but not always

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Do note that you can get this in cable form and save yourself from having to have a bulky adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/WARRKY-Gold-...08587678&sr=8-3

Good call, I actually forgot I'm using one of those right now in my work from home setup lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Good call, I actually forgot I'm using one of those right now in my work from home setup lol

put the cable in the new computer's butt

put another cable in the computer's other butt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This machine is a little beast.

I’ve been playing around with Subnautica and this scene is one of the most intense graphically and it still pulls 40FPS. It’s not even built for M1 and the game runs at 30+ FPS with no issues.

When we get more M1 built games it’s gonna be a powerhouse.

I had a good laugh at this though

3 games lol

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 22, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

When we get more M1 built games it’s gonna be a powerhouse.
Who's gonna tell him?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Who's gonna tell him?

Well things going forward will be M1. I don't expect really any of the older stuff to be ported over.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

American McGay posted:

Who's gonna tell him?

Look, 2021 is going to be the year of Mac gaming! I promise.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have one more question sorry to thread poo poo. Is there a decent ~300 4k monitor that would do a decent job replacing two monitors for the mac kini

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Well things going forward will be M1. I don't expect really any of the older stuff to be ported over.

It’s more that none of the large studios really publish to Mac OS at all even when it’s Intel. Some indys do and there’s some good games but none of the blockbusters are going to be coming to Mac. Even Blizzard is moving away - Overwatch is on the Switch but not macs. It’s dead Jim.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Got a 16/256 M1 MBA and loving the thing. Only thing I am debating is returning it for the 8GB model and saving the $200. Costco would get me an extra warranty year, too. I have really minor needs, no hard usage - literally the only reason I got 16GB is that I use Chrome and I am operating under the old paradigm. I watched the Rene Ritchie video and the others and the consensus seems to be 16GB isn't necessary but do it if you can. I mean, I CAN, but I also like saving $200 if it isn't going to show me much benefit. Anyone with experience with both?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

It’s dead Jim.

What is dead can never die!

Checked out Grid Auto sport and it runs good too. I’m sure you could hit 60FPS by tweaking some settings but this is the high setting.

This is ultra

On battery no fan running at all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the difference now between the air and pro

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A fan that doesn't run anyway and about $600.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

A fan that doesn't run anyway and about $600.

The Air does throttle though after about 10 min of sustained load so gaming!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

What's the difference now between the air and pro

Because it has no fan, the Air can't sustain maximum all-cores-active clocks for very long. Maybe 10-20 seconds. The Pro has a fan, so it can keep itself cool at max load.

Makes very little difference if you're seldom at max load, which most people aren't.

e: MarcusSA, I've seen that 10 minute figure reported too, but I've found it trivial to use powermetrics to prove a M1 air takes less than a minute to begin reducing clocks with all 8 cores at 100%. The cpus use about 24W in that state. Once it's done reducing clocks it seems to settle on about 10W as its sustainable level of power. Might be the case that the people reporting 10 minutes were doing something less intense which needed longer to heat-soak the system and force clocks down.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 22, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Are people just not doing 16gb with M1? I decided to order a 256GB 16GB Mini (All our data is mirrored on a 2TB Google Drive/Synology NAS with symmetrical gigabit fiber connection, so I really don't need much local storage) and it is looking like the 16GB M1 computers aren't particularly popular.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 22, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I feel like if you’re gaming or doing high performance professional workloads you get a pro and everyone else just gets an air unless they really really want a touchbar.

How well is crossover working to get windows only games working on Mac?

I feel like the 2 barriers to games getting ported to Macs have always been 1. Insufficient market share to justify it and 2. Most Macs didn’t have the hardware grunt to run AAA properly anyway.

I suspect Mac market share is going to increase a lot now that they completely crush intel and amd on performance and battery life.

New popular engines like unity are reducing the work needed to port as well; essentially hitting problem 1 From both ends.

And the soaring gpu performance is tackling problem 2.

I don’t expect a huge overnight shift but I do think we’ll slowly see an increase in games being ported.

The rise of crowdfunded indie games also helps - things like pillars of eternity specifically got Mac and Linux ports due to fan engagement demonstrating that there was demand.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Are people just not doing 16gb with M1? I decided to order a 256GB 16GB Mini (All our data is mirrored on a 2TB Google Drive/Synology NAS with symmetrical gigabit fiber connection, so I really don't need much local storage) and it is looking like the 16GB M1 computers aren't particularly popular.

What makes you say that?

I think the people who ordered 16gb M1 machines are still waiting for theirs to arrive which is probably why you aren't seeing many posts about them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I'll bet the fan is either idle or turning reeeeeal slow.. seen a lot of benchmarks, and the M1 Mini only breaks out from the Air and the 13-inch Pro because of its thermal subsystem..
I forget where I saw it, some video review I think, but the fan speed on the M1 mini under load on there was basically the same as my 2018 one at idle. Something around 1500 or 1700 RPM, which is pretty much silent.

Three Olives posted:

I’d guess you could attribute some of that to a combination of a lot of reviewers saying 16GB isn’t noticeable for most basic workloads, and some people buying these as a kind of stopgap machine, knowing it’s just the 1st gen and just saving the extra money for now. And/or availability of 8 vs 16, anecdotally I’ve seen a bunch of posts debating settling for 8 cause shipping times.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like if you’re gaming or doing high performance professional workloads you get a pro and everyone else just gets an air unless they really really want a touchbar.

I feel like the 2 barriers to games getting ported to Macs have always been 1. Insufficient market share to justify it and 2. Most Macs didn’t have the hardware grunt to run AAA properly anyway.

I suspect Mac market share is going to increase a lot now that they completely crush intel and amd on performance and battery life.

New popular engines like unity are reducing the work needed to port as well; essentially hitting problem 1 From both ends.

I don’t expect a huge overnight shift but I do think we’ll slowly see an increase in games being ported.

The rise of crowdfunded indie games also helps - things like pillars of eternity specifically got Mac and Linux ports due to fan engagement demonstrating that there was demand.

I think the counterpoint to this optimism is that rocket league, a big hit that plays well on integrated graphics and is accessible to everyone but also played competitively, decided that keeping the already existing for years Mac port up to date wasn’t worth it and ended Mac support.

They did offer full refunds to anyone who bought the game and played on Mac, which is wild for a game 5 years old.

My own Mac gaming got killed when Apple dropped 32 bit support. A ton of outstanding games from 2005-2016 don’t have 64 but versions available.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mac gaming is worse than it was 5 years ago, which is kinda mind-boggling. Yeah sure maybe M1 is the magic bullet that finally turns things around, but I'm not counting on it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

There’s a number of issues beyond the scope of this thread but a big one is that game studios and publishers require support from the platforms they publish to. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are pretty good about that, as are Nvidia and AMD. Apple is not and never had been. So, yes, Unity games or your Indy Unreal game are fine, but that’s a small segment both in terms of volume and revenue. Quality? Absolutely, there’s some great games there. But without the platform support in the development process you won’t see games that create the trends that drive the industry on Macs. And that eventually effects independents as well. Try getting Hades, or Darkest Dungeon, or, well there’s lots of examples really on the Mac.

Market share wise there isn’t an argument to be made until it’s not “all these intel Mac owners are now AS Mac owners!” That’s not a relevant metric.

Performance per se actually doesn’t matter that much if the devs can’t build for it and the platform owner won’t help promote it. The M1 could be awesome for gaming, in all likelihood it won’t unless it absolutely crushes the market in adoption.

It’s dead Jim.

E; this isn’t an invitation to explain how darkest dungeon the iOS version runs fine or w/e it’s simply reiterating what others upthread have said, Macs aren’t a good gaming platform *because Apple doesn’t want them to be enough to matter*

Your average new intel Mac outperforms a PS4. It’s not a hardware issue. It never has been.

Edit 2!: and it’s probably the right decision for Apple. They know the money is the marketplace - no one is buying Apple gear for the primary purpose of gaming, so it’s not going to move new units of hardware so the only place to make money is on the storefront, but Steam, Epic, GoG, Ubi all know that too, so where’s the return on putting a bunch of dollars into dev and publishing support? There really isn’t one. Macs aren’t going to become an attractive first platform choice for gamers, and people who buy Macs aren’t turned off by the lack of games, so...

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 22, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The only way Mac gaming has a major resurgence is when Apple starts behaving like a platform holder and paying certain major developers to support their platform with high-draw, culturally significant games. They don't even have to be new games, they just have to be desirable and "serious".

The only reason DOOM, etc have been able to work on Switch is because Nintendo made it worth Bethesda's time to put in all of the necessary work---and the investment has paid off in spades in terms of legitimizing the platform in the eyes of customers and developers and spurring healthy developer support vs the Wii and Wii U.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

The only way Mac gaming has a major resurgence is when Apple starts behaving like a platform holder and paying certain major developers to support their platform with high-draw, culturally significant games. They don't even have to be new games, they just have to be desirable and "serious".

The only reason DOOM, etc have been able to work on Switch is because Nintendo made it worth Bethesda's time to put in all of the necessary work---and the investment has paid off in spades in terms of legitimizing the platform in the eyes of customers and developers and spurring healthy developer support vs the Wii and Wii U.

I’m playing DOOM, D3, and just finished Witcher 3 on my Switch. There’s no technical reason these aren’t on Macs, but there’s a ton of business model reasons.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have one more question sorry to thread poo poo. Is there a decent ~300 4k monitor that would do a decent job replacing two monitors for the mac kini

https://www.amazon.com/LG-24UD58-B-...ps%2C255&sr=8-3

this is the monitor I'll probably buy in the next few months for my apartment (which is separate from my office where I have my iMac 5k) so I can run a 2015 13 inch MacBook pro. It's supposed to be great had have the same PP1 density as a retina display I believe.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm sending in my MacBook pro (2015) to get the screen repaired (lamination issue) as soon as the box shows up. My question is, aside from backing it up, is there anything else I need to do? like deactivate programs? I'm not too worried about data loss, but if I have to re install programs that only give a few partitions, that might be a pain.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My new mini has a screen flicker issue when using the HDMI port with my Dell U2417 monitors. There’s a portion of the menu bar that flickers constantly. Switching monitors and cables didn’t help.

It doesn’t do it with my older U2414.

I’ll do some more troubleshooting tomorrow (the power strip the monitors are plugged into might be failing) and have some usb-c to dp and hdmi cables on order to see if that solves the issue. Still frustrating, though.

Oh, and I guess the old Canon flatbed scanner I bought at a garage sale for $1 doesn’t work anymore, either. That one bothers me a bit less.

But other than that, the migration was smooth and this thing is incredibly fast.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 22, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well every iOS game should run great on the M1 except they aren't designed for mouse & keyboard. But some of those developers may put a little extra work into UI. Apple could even incentivize this by, say, offering them a better cut of the sales. If Apple cared about such things. And they probably don't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LionArcher posted:

I'm sending in my MacBook pro (2015) to get the screen repaired (lamination issue) as soon as the box shows up. My question is, aside from backing it up, is there anything else I need to do? like deactivate programs? I'm not too worried about data loss, but if I have to re install programs that only give a few partitions, that might be a pain.

In theory you get your machine back in two days good as new.

Worst case they keep it and send you a new one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s $500, not $300, but I’ve been very happy with my HP Z27 monitor. 4K and USB-C so I can have a single cable hookup to my MBP (including power) and everything else is attached to the monitor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Apple needs to hurry the gently caress up and invent a wireless monitor if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Apple needs to hurry the gently caress up and invent a wireless monitor if you ask me.

It’s called an iPad.