Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kent residents right now:

I'm glad I got out of that dumpster fire of a country in '07. Miss the food though, the chippies here in NZ just aren't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:v:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/LiamFreeman_/status/1340785714989064198?s=20

edit: my word

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've watched 5 old Grand Prix races now and one thing I'm noticing about these 80s cars is that the drivers' legs are right at the front of their cars. I've seen one driver get their leg trapped after the front took a smash, and two drivers limping out of their cars after being stopped in the catch fencing. Watching this stuff back over with modern sensibilities is fascinating. Did they not think about this or did they deliberately and knowingly ignore the repeated incidents?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:allears:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've watched 5 old Grand Prix races now and one thing I'm noticing about these 80s cars is that the drivers' legs are right at the front of their cars. I've seen one driver get their leg trapped after the front took a smash, and two drivers limping out of their cars after being stopped in the catch fencing. Watching this stuff back over with modern sensibilities is fascinating. Did they not think about this or did they deliberately and knowingly ignore the repeated incidents?

I think Brundle put it best in his commentary of the last race saying something to the effect that the driver is just an inconvienence to the engineers designing a perfect car.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Azza Bamboo posted:

deliberately and knowingly ignore the repeated incidents?
This is the history of safety in motorsport. The Le Mans 55 disaster is a great example. Cars were going like 180mph max, they didn't have to put spectators 5 feet away from the pit straight protected by a RAMP OF DIRT. They didn't have to put the pit lane IN that pit straight. Jackie Stewart, more than a decade after that, writes about crashing in a race and discovering the only doctor on site was a gynecologist or something who was a wealthy friend of the track owner who was just there for fun. Most of these shortcomings were easily fixed with the knowledge and technology of the day, but the people in charge (sanctioning body, track owners, organizers, team owners) didn't give a poo poo. Nobody really started to give a poo poo until some time in the Sid Watkins era, from what I can tell. Motorsport is the essence of capitalism, after all, a political ideology wherein everyone suffers and dies except 3 guys at the top. #forzaferrari

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hunt inspite of his rampant racism against Italians (like most British people, who are all bigoted) he was the only real person who was vocal about the atrocious safety poo poo like Mclaren designing a car that Berger couldn’t fit in.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've watched 5 old Grand Prix races now and one thing I'm noticing about these 80s cars is that the drivers' legs are right at the front of their cars

Yeah it's wild how far forward they're sitting in these cars. Also how much more upright it seems like they're sitting compared to a modern F1 car, and how much that exposes their heads above the bodywork.

Watching Silverstone '81 now and it's cool to see the planes on the apron in the background of some shots. Also Piquet sure loves to crash out for someone who wins the season.

This race is also one of the full-full races available, so you get fun pit lane commentary with Colin Chapman when one of the borderline illegal Lotuses gets DQd.

Which team has the car with the front wing on top of the nose instead of underneath? It's very :unsmith:

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 22, 2020

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

The Big Jesus posted:

Hm that makes sense. I bet there's not a Shamilton brand out there though

I for one would like a Poois SHamilton watch

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Yeh my brother lives on Guernsey too Theo

How very dare you, I live in the engineering capital of the world that is Longbridge. A district with the proud history of Rover, the most iconic brand in motoring history.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bgreman posted:

Which team has the car with the front wing on top of the nose instead of underneath? It's very :unsmith:

I think that's Checo Serra's Fittipaldi Ford machine, although it's one of a set of nosecone options and you see it change sometimes. Keke Rosberg seems to choose the flatter under-the-nose option more often.

Edit: nope it's the Theodore Ford machine.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 22, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Theophany posted:

How very dare you, I live in the engineering capital of the world that is Longbridge. A district with the proud history of Rover, the most iconic brand in motoring history.

From producing the original mini to the CityRover. A fall from grace for the plant.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The final insult was BMW selling the brand to a couple of Midlands businessmen for ten pounds. I still think it was a rip-off

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

From producing the original mini to the CityRover. A fall from grace for the plant.

The greatest car ever made: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ius=1501&page=1

quote:

Available to view by appointment only

e: i mean this 100% unironically, those old 200s fuckin' owned as long as you weren't one of the idiots that bought one with a Rover (originally a British Leyland heap of clog iron) engine and instead opted for the Honda unit.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 22, 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://youtu.be/E4-8LgXjQbc

This has aged incredibly well, especially with us on the eve of Brexit

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

They didn't care, more or less. They only mandated the driver's legs be behind the front axle line in 1986 IIRC.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

the corona quid posted:

https://youtu.be/E4-8LgXjQbc

This has aged incredibly well, especially with us on the eve of Brexit

Opening your advert with several better looking cars is a bold move.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

bgreman posted:

Yeah it's wild how far forward they're sitting in these cars. Also how much more upright it seems like they're sitting compared to a modern F1 car, and how much that exposes their heads above the bodywork.

Watching Silverstone '81 now and it's cool to see the planes on the apron in the background of some shots. Also Piquet sure loves to crash out for someone who wins the season.

This race is also one of the full-full races available, so you get fun pit lane commentary with Colin Chapman when one of the borderline illegal Lotuses gets DQd.

Piquet was cool.

The Toleman maybe?

Several teams ran front-wing-over the nose during 1981 (Arrows, Williams, Toleman, Ferrari, Theodore.)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Theophany posted:

The greatest car ever made: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ius=1501&page=1

e: i mean this 100% unironically, those old 200s fuckin' owned as long as you weren't one of the idiots that bought one with a Rover (originally a British Leyland heap of clog iron) engine and instead opted for the Honda unit.

The Honda Concerto-based Rover 200/400 were legitimately good cars (they were related to the EF Civic/DA Integra, Honda's high water mark IMO.)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Hunt inspite of his rampant racism against Italians (like most British people, who are all bigoted) he was the only real person who was vocal about the atrocious safety poo poo like Mclaren designing a car that Berger couldn’t fit in.

Neither Capelli or Gugelmin were capable of shifting the gears in the 881 in standard form so Newey himself just took a pair of channel locks and bent the shifter, telling the drivers to deal with it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The whole Acura brand came from the tie up with Rover iirc. The Rover 800/Acura Legend was a joint venture and I think after that they had enough of the BL designers and told them to gently caress off and start rebranding civics.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

The Honda Concerto-based Rover 200/400 were legitimately good cars (they were related to the EF Civic/DA Integra, Honda's high water mark IMO.)

Definitely, I think my dad ran 3 or 4 of them into the ground over several years because they were great beaters that were dirt cheap to run.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://racer.com/2020/12/22/ferrari-building-haas-facility-in-maranello/

It doesn't seem important but well I'm sharing it anyways.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Spending cap work around phase 1?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

The whole Acura brand came from the tie up with Rover iirc. The Rover 800/Acura Legend was a joint venture and I think after that they had enough of the BL designers and told them to gently caress off and start rebranding civics.

The initial 800s were such a disaster, compared to the Legend, which was the most reliable near luxury/luxury brand and car. Evidently there was friction because the Japanese and European definitions of luxury are different - the former at the time meant lots of convenience/electronic features and usually a high revving 6 cylinder small displacement engine (anything over about 3 litres in Japan during the 70s to 1989 when the tax regime was restructured was prohibitively expensive to run for most people). The latter meant refined ride, smooth and linear power delivery and low NVH, which 80s and 90s Hondas didn't have (they were firm and had high revving engines).

BL/Rover also had a lot of pride which led to some very strange engineering decisions - the 800s electrics and interior were entirely different from the Legend.

The EU built 200/400 and Concerto also bizarrely used Macpherson struts at the front, as opposed to the Japanese built car which had double wishbones all around (Like it's platform mates Integra/Civc). It doesn't make very much sense to me.

Frond fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 22, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

daslog posted:

Or further integration with Ferrari as a B team...which I thought Alfa was.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

it's why johnny herbert walks like that he got his legs mangled in one of those cigar tubes they used to use in the lower formulas. i think they still run those cars without wings in some brit series; i sometimes catch videos of it on youtube.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

The initial 800s were such a disaster, compared to the Legend, which was the most reliable near luxury/luxury brand and car. Evidently there was friction because the Japanese and European definitions of luxury are different - the former at the time meant lots of convenience/electronic features and usually a high revving 6 cylinder small displacement engine (anything over about 3 litres in Japan during the 70s to 1989 when the tax regime was restructured was prohibitively expensive to run for most people). The latter meant refined ride, smooth and linear power delivery and low NVH, which 80s and 90s Hondas didn't have (they were firm and had high revving engines).

BL/Rover also had a lot of pride which led to some very strange engineering decisions - the 800s electrics and interior were entirely different from the Legend.

The EU built 200/400 and Concerto also bizarrely used Macpherson struts at the front, as opposed to the Japanese built car which had double wishbones all around (Like it's platform mates Integra/Civc). It doesn't make very much sense to me.

I think the whole thing was a marriage of convenience. BL/Austin/Rover/whatever couldn’t afford to develop a new platform on their own and Honda got hosed by the VRA in the states and needed to move up market without necessarily having a firm grasp on what the luxury market was in the west compared to Japan.

The McPherson thing is strange because as far as I was aware part of Honda’s reasoning for going for double wishbone was to lower the front hood line and made McPherson struts difficult to implement. Re-engineering that probably would’ve killed any cost savings from going to McPherson strut in my mind.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

I think the whole thing was a marriage of convenience. BL/Austin/Rover/whatever couldn’t afford to develop a new platform on their own and Honda got hosed by the VRA in the states and needed to move up market without necessarily having a firm grasp on what the luxury market was in the west compared to Japan.

The McPherson thing is strange because as far as I was aware part of Honda’s reasoning for going for double wishbone was to lower the front hood line and made McPherson struts difficult to implement. Re-engineering that probably would’ve killed any cost savings from going to McPherson strut in my mind.

Everything BL is pure comedy. My grandfather was a journo who went to the plant where they were making buses and touting their 24 hour production line.

Dudes turned up for the night shift, unfurled their sleeping bags and proceeded to have a good night's kip on the half assembled double deckers.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

daslog posted:

You were right!

https://racer.com/2020/12/22/ferrari-building-haas-facility-in-maranello/

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There’s a good series of essays online somewhere that documents the whole BL odyssey and yeah it’s pure comedy gold.

Hearing stories of my mom’s TR7 always put that poo poo into some sort of mythic legend for me growing up. Then you read all the poo poo that actually went on in Longbridge and it’s absolutely jaw dropping.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

The LS400 was really the first World Luxury Car Japan got right, IMO.

And the decision is baffling - as both British built and Japanese built Concertos were sold in mainland Europe as well, so you had the exact same car with different front suspensions!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Was it Rover that had the galaxy brain idea to use both metric and imperial bolts in their engines? I forget which British icon claims that crown.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Toyota really had a shockingly firm grasp on what the luxury market required here in comparison to the rest of the Japanese manufacturers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Was it Rover that had the galaxy brain idea to use both metric and imperial bolts in their engines? I forget which British icon claims that crown.

No no no it was worse than that.

They wanted to appear modernized but couldn’t afford to rework any of their engines so they kept the imperial thread pitches but then changed all the heads to metric. Basically turbo loving anybody who had to replace a bolt and wasn’t acutely aware that this was a thing that they had done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really can’t loving drive home enough how inflicting that on someone unsuspecting actually is some level of hell.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNMN6Yr3q4o
Blessed, thank you Lewis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

No no no it was worse than that.

They wanted to appear modernized but couldn’t afford to rework any of their engines so they kept the imperial thread pitches but then changed all the heads to metric. Basically turbo loving anybody who had to replace a bolt and wasn’t acutely aware that this was a thing that they had done.

This is like the Nico Rosberg of engine development