Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonzo McFee posted:

Writing about how there's a right wing purity problem in the loving Spectator by Christ.

Absolute scenes when the Spectator is panicking the gently caress out about the incredible hell we've brought upon ourselves lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Blueshirt posted:

So the wiffle-haired flint eyed sociopath obviously has something going for him.

Genuine personal charisma is something that can be surprisingly powerful and doesn't necessarily translate over the telly. It can be rather unsettling how turned around you can feel on someone after hearing them talk in person; while its easy to underestimate the effect, if you've experienced it you can kinda understand how cults can get off the ground.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blueshirt posted:

A friend of mine is a super left wing, guillotine-them-all type. Lived in a commune, works endlessly for various charities, has been arrested umpteen times at various demos and has strong opinions on Monster Munch.

A few years before Bojo got the big seat she was working at a charity that, for whatever reason, Boris was visiting every now and again. One day she was asked to show him something, and she went into the meeting pre-quaking with rage and ready to destroy him...and found him supremely charming. Incredibly friendly and charismatic, to the point that she likened speaking to him to being drunk. And then, every subsequent time she met him, he would ask about her extended family and take seemingly genuine interest.

So the wiffle-haired flint eyed sociopath obviously has something going for him.
It's the Steve Jobs "reality distortion field" in effect. People who met Jobs, even if going in they were totally opposed to whatever he wanted, would come out feeling wowed and dazed and realising they'd not just agreed to all his demands, but enthusiastically supported them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm beginning to think there's a distressing number of sponge brained people who want to offload their gullibility onto other people.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Got up early before the shops opened and met a friend behind the supermarket who furtively gave me a paper bag full of limes. Gotta make these last.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There is two things at play here.

One is people when they make bad choices, they can try and rationalise it afterwards and one way is by hyping up another part involved. See how post World War 2 where loads of Germans basically claimed that Hitler had almost hypnotic powers.

That being said (and this is something most RPG's get right.) Charisma is a real tangible thing. And while Movies and TV are really good at showing how strong someone is (he breaks a chain) or smart (he builds a time machine) they find it much harder to depict that someone can be super charming, because so much of charm is this factor that only emerges in person and not on the page.

For my Dad's birthday I got him this book called Champagne Football which is about John Delaney. The man who took over and bankrupted the nations Football Association.

And so much of it was down to his Charisma and how he'd charm people into going along with his terrible self serving ideas.
But there is a great story about how one person who wouldn't go along with his nonsense was Bertie Ahern. The then Taoiseach (Irish PM) and himself a charming, chancer who could talk people into going along with his bad ideas.
And the whole reason why he was immune to Delaney's charm was he could recognise how they were the same.
I've always found that interesting.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It really is true that a lot of politicians are, when you're interacting with them directly, apparently very nice people. Blair, Boris and - weirdly - Gove are all people I loving despise but have also met in person and had to constantly remind myself that they were hateful, evil pricks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Question IRL posted:

And the whole reason why he was immune to Delaney's charm was he could recognise how they were the same.
I've always found that interesting.

One can turn off the other's tricks and that's why they all hate each other like nothing else.

They know exactly what kind of monsters they are.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I’ve only met three MPs (or former MPs) in person - one Labour, one Lib Dem, one Tory. All three were genuinely affable and pleasant to chat with, and I’m sure this is a characteristic that parties select for when choosing candidates.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

It really is true that a lot of politicians are, when you're interacting with them directly, apparently very nice people. Blair, Boris and - weirdly - Gove are all people I loving despise but have also met in person and had to constantly remind myself that they were hateful, evil pricks.

It's basically a function of how politics works in this country (and I assume all others), because without rituals involving beans or trial by ordeal the only way of progressing in politics is by getting other people to like you, or at least hate you less than the alternatives.

Look at the Priti Patel bullying thing - Tories circled the wagons around her, sure, but almost all of the defence of her was "Well she's always been perfectly nice to *me*". No poo poo Sherlock, that's because you're someone who might at some point be of use to her in the future. Anyone not in that position sees her true face. I think that's part of Boris' secret - he's at best not actually aware of how he does what he does, or at worst smart enough to keep up the facade much more convincingly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never met anybody in my life that I would describe as charismatic, most people are capable of passable civility which I can appreciate the effort of but which doesn't inspire any emotional response, some people are bad at that and their actual character shows through and sometimes that can either appeal or affront depending on your taste, but that's just different kinds of eccentricity, and some people are essentially social non-entities unless you want to put a lot of effort into talking to them.

The only MPs I've ever met are the candidate for last year who was in the first category, and tom blenkinsop who rocks back and forward chuntering to himself like a psychopath.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 22, 2020

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Met up in a Tesco car park at 1pm yesterday and it was absolutely heaving. Even the outer edge where the non-shoppers park was packed.

A bottle of alcohol, some cash and home-made Christmas crack cake changed hands and I was glad to be out of there.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Biggus Dickus posted:

Met up in a Tesco car park at 1pm yesterday
Did u win?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:/

is everyone already getting groceries outside of supermarkets from middle-people?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I met Chris Huhne when he was doing some local college meet and greet lunch sessions. He was alright, my main concern at the time was getting a new skate park built and he actually sent me the plans for it which was cool. Then he did a purjury and got sent to prison lol.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

is everyone already getting groceries outside of supermarkets from middle-people?

Some people can't even be "outside a supermarket" :colbert:

*looks out of window wistfully*

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crispix posted:

time was you'd get ahead in society by knowing a bank manager or lawyer

now it's having the number of the guy that stocks the citrus aisle in Asda

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Absolute scenes when the Spectator is panicking the gently caress out about the incredible hell we've brought upon ourselves lmao

The retired Army Paedophiles and Devil's advocate fetishists are starting to feel uncomfortable.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
So, judging by the scientists current reaction, and the Bojo delay to any advice, I presume we'll all be entering Tier 4 on Christmas Eve, effective from Christmas day right?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/highways-england-confirms-900-lorries-m20-monday-not-174-boris-johnson/

How many lorries are parked isn't the biggest issue in the world, but it's a nice example of the completely routine way this government just tells barefaced lies.

Not true-from-a-certain-point-of-view fudged statistics in a misleading press release or anything, just directly fabricating numbers in a televised speech to the nation.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Some people can't even be "outside a supermarket" :colbert:

*looks out of window wistfully*

Are you in a supermarket right now? You should probably be shopping and not posting.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

mrpwase posted:

Are you in a supermarket right now? You should probably be shopping and not posting.

They may be working.
They may be self isolating and not allowed out of the house/flat/cage.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

They may be working.

I can see why they would be in a cage, but why would they be in a cage in a supermarket?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Grey Hunter posted:

They may be working.

Self isolating is right.

After getting my test result Sunday night I went online to get a food delivery but, in what can only be described as incredible timing, there were no delivery slots for *any supermarket* for a whole week thanks to the combo of christmas and border-closure panic buying.

Thankfully I already did a bit of a stockpile last week so we can last it out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

I can see why they would be in a cage, but why would they be in a cage in a supermarket?
Maybe they're at Pets At Home and also a rabbit?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

radmonger posted:

I like to buy my goons fresh

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

radmonger posted:

One of those rolling cages they put used cardboard in when filling the shelves? Could be doing the shopping inside one of them to keep distance

Self isolating is right.

After getting my test result Sunday night I went online to get a food delivery but, in what can only be described as incredible timing, there were no delivery slots for *any supermarket* for a whole week thanks to the combo of christmas and border-closure panic buying.

See, this is where stockpiling is unarguably a good idea. No it won't do much good if the country ends up with real food shortages, but self isolation just when Brexit and new strain is making everyone panic is a potentially bad situation.

Of course, this is precisely what we were told to do back in March, "make sure you have enough food in for a couple of weeks if you need to isolate", followed by "what are you doing you idiots, stop panic buying* !"

*purchasing slightly more than usual, leading to the just-enough-just-in-time system to fall over

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 22, 2020

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

radmonger posted:

Working in BW&S and having to secure the supply?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Bobstar posted:

One of those rolling cages they put used cardboard in when filling the shelves? Could be doing the shopping inside one of them to keep distance

Nah, they're too small, you can't keep the distance with them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd watch a remake of Gladiators crossed with Supermarket Sweep, where they use the big cardboard cages instead of the old hamster balls

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

They may be working.

Despite all their rage.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Biggus Dickus posted:

Met up in a Tesco car park at 1pm yesterday and it was absolutely heaving. Even the outer edge where the non-shoppers park was packed.

A bottle of alcohol, some cash and home-made Christmas crack cake changed hands and I was glad to be out of there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Every time i read "keep the distance" i hear it in my head as a whisper like in this scene from field of dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxzq9BLE5Hg

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Convex posted:

You can get Disco Elysium for like £12 using that, I think it's DRM free once you've downloaded as well.

Thanks for this, just got it. 10.99 after the coupon.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Weasling Weasel posted:

So, judging by the scientists current reaction, and the Bojo delay to any advice, I presume we'll all be entering Tier 4 on Christmas Eve, effective from Christmas day right?

Probably announce ration books being issued then as well (outsourced to Deloitte).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Self isolating is right.

I can't remember where you are, but open invitation to any goons in east or central London - if you need stuff picked up from the shops (and can cope with a goon visit) I'm bored out of my mind here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Self isolating is right.

If you're in London I wouldn't mind doing you some shopping and cycling it over to you.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Despite all their rage.

You rang?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Necrothatcher posted:

If you're in London I wouldn't mind doing you some shopping and cycling it over to you.

Careful now there's a London, Ontario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

There's a 90's 2000AD comic strip called Zenith. Its about the UK developing super heroes first for WW2, not the US. Think 1960s Austin Powers heroes, then bleak Thatcher Tory Heroes, against nazis. Good read, would recommend.
The PM from it is a a super hero who just jedi mind tricks loving everyone to be leader of the world.

1980s, but yes. Zenith is basically superhero Robbie Williams and a complete twat, the villain of book 2 is Richard Branson, and book 3 contains practically every classic British hero from the Fleetway/IPC era. The books get increasingly weirder and weaker though, so stop when you've had enough.