Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Careful now there's a London, Ontario
For folks of a certain persuasion there's also a London, Derry.

e: 126 is the seventh magic number in nuclear physics. For the numbers, 2, 8, 20, 28, 50, 82, and 126, an atomic nucleus with this many protons is or is predicted to belong to an island of stability. Although there has been no experimental discovery of unbihexium, it might exist with a long enough half life that it could be detected.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's a good number fact. Thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

I can see why they would be in a cage, but why would they be in a cage in a supermarket?

Whomst among us hasn't tried to skate around in the warehouse cages and tipped it over in the process because they're rear wheel steering?

minema
May 31, 2011
Six patients on my "green" ward of 22 people tested positive overnight, spread across 2 bays. :banjo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't remember where you are, but open invitation to any goons in east or central London - if you need stuff picked up from the shops (and can cope with a goon visit) I'm bored out of my mind here.

Necrothatcher posted:

If you're in London I wouldn't mind doing you some shopping and cycling it over to you.

That's very kind :)

Fortunately our next-door neighbour has offered to get us the essentials (she was originally gonna catsit for us until our trip was cancelled)

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Borrovan posted:

Did u win?

I did!

[Narrator: He did not.]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Thanks for this, just got it. 10.99 after the coupon.

Cool! Bear in mind there's supposed to be a massive update coming early next year so unless you've got no other games to play it might be worth holding off a first playthrough until that comes out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I need to go back to it too (I got to the second day) but it sounds like there's loads of free content being added - not least of all full VA for the whole thing - so I'm holding back before I start a fresh save.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the book the guy is writing/has written getting translated?

Sainsbury's last night was fairly quiet at that point and had fully stocked shelves except for stuff like carrots but they had those out just not put onto the shelves yet. Despite being entirely unable to both afford or be able to eat a whole goose I was tempted to get one

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the small inner city tescos and sainsburys near me have been quiet and fully stocked all yesterday and today. I think the lack of any parking discourages stockpile shopping since you're limited to buying what you can physically carry and get home with

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Delivery people shouldn't be allowed to drop off packages with neighbours, and definitely shouldn't knock on my door to ask when they themselves are clearly ill (with what looks like a normal, streaming cold. No mask).

They should also be better paid.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In a stunning rebuke to his critics, Keir Starmer has increased Labour's poll lead over the Liberal Democrats.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1341332432344244224

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I don't even understand voters in this country. Then again, I suppose there isn't really even a good choice to pick. It's loving bad all the way down the ticket.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Convex posted:

Cool! Bear in mind there's supposed to be a massive update coming early next year so unless you've got no other games to play it might be worth holding off a first playthrough until that comes out.

Oh, I'll hold off for sure in that case, have plenty of games now I'm getting back into it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't remember where you are, but open invitation to any goons in east or central London - if you need stuff picked up from the shops (and can cope with a goon visit) I'm bored out of my mind here.

I mean, consider e.g. the local foodbanks who are interested or local mutual aid groups.
https://volunteer.trusselltrust.org/opportunities

I'm not a huge fan of the fact that the Trussel Trust are attached to the church but they seem to be Lewisham's main food bank org.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Got up early before the shops opened and met a friend behind the supermarket who furtively gave me a paper bag full of limes. Gotta make these last.

This reads like an @ThanetGuide tweet.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Flayer posted:

I don't even understand voters in this country. Then again, I suppose there isn't really even a good choice to pick. It's loving bad all the way down the ticket.

It's easy to understand when you accept that at least 30-40% of the population are stupid, irredeemable, and horrible cunts.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually, know what? Same for Kent goons. 30 mile radius of Sheerness (not including the bits of essex which are technically within that radius* )

* gently caress off google; yes, you're right, that branch of $shop is techinically closer to the one in Maidstone, but I don't have a boat, and am not a bird

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 22, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

:perfect:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angrymog posted:

(not including the bits of essex which are technically within that radius)
Don't want the hassle of border crossings?

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I just got a Christmas card in the post from my local MP...is that usual? (I haven't been a member of Lab since about March)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Don't want the hassle of border crossings?

Exactly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SpicePro posted:

I just got a Christmas card in the post from my local MP...is that usual? (I haven't been a member of Lab since about March)
Keith StarmerVaz used to send Christmas cards to people in Leicester East. Never got one out here in Tory safe seat land though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

SpicePro posted:

I think it varies on MP. I used to get cards from Martin Caton but never in any of the other constituencies I've lived in.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Flayer posted:

Remember how disengaged and uninformed about politics the average voter is?

Remember that, on average, half of voters are MORE ignorant than that?

Us wierdos who actually follow and pay attention to the governments fuckups are in the minority. It's supposed to be the job of journalists to take this information and turn it into news for the public to consume, but the journalistic class is in bed with the Tories anyways so don't give a gently caress about actually taking their friends to task.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The brain of the Tory is unfathomable to me

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1341056675034374148

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And, again, the political class is now almost entirely detached from the wants and needs of the public, so who would you actually expect the Tories to be losing support to?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

peanut- posted:

The brain of the Tory is unfathomable to me

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1341056675034374148

It's tribal, or like a team sport - the situation is bad but it can't be MY side's fault!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The key tenet of neoliberalism is that problems don't exist any more, and governments will never have to respond to anything more than the demands of megacorporations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

If you're not obsessed with the news like us lot are, then what you see is:

-The Prime Minister doing Prime Ministerial things on telly
-The newspapers largely supporting him
-Your kids are in school (most of the time)
-Up until Saturday you were having a 'normal' Christmas

And the only opposition leader is saying get your kids out of school, don't have Christmas, new national lockdown so you can't go out.

Why would the public not support Johnson? They're not being told anything different.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Magnum Carte D'Or just hits me in the right spot.

Some 'good' news on the rona front

quote:

Other countries may have the variant as well, says epidemiologist William Hanage of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; the United Kingdom may have just picked it up first because it has the most sophisticated SARS-CoV-2 genomic monitoring in the world. Many countries have little or no sequencing.

This seems in spite of the government not because of it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its just most people think whatever section of the media they consume is more or less factual, otherwise whats the point in it?

likewise they tend to assume that politicians know more than them and are very smart, otherwise why would they be there?

and they assume that if someone did something really bad and wrong it wouldn't be allowed, so its basically dramatic to say the government is corrupt or negligent or whatever, since obviously they cant be or someone would have done something about it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Despite all my rage, I am still in a supermarket and in a cage.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Communist Thoughts posted:

its just most people think whatever section of the media they consume is more or less factual, otherwise whats the point in it?

likewise they tend to assume that politicians know more than them and are very smart, otherwise why would they be there?

and they assume that if someone did something really bad and wrong it wouldn't be allowed, so its basically dramatic to say the government is corrupt or negligent or whatever, since obviously they cant be or someone would have done something about it.

But for the entire world

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Magnum Carte D'Or just hits me in the right spot.

Some 'good' news on the rona front

This seems in spite of the government not because of it.

It’s frustrating that this isn’t being pushed harder. How is it not the first thing that comes to mind, that it is going to be detected first in one place and that’s much more likely to be linked to testing rather than where it originated - and we know this stuff spreads too quickly to isolate immediately anyway.

It’s also incredibly frustrating because the action that France etc are taking is more likely to slow down the speed that this things are reported than speed them up. Why risk being cut off from the world because you reported first? Wait for someone else to do it first.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just saw this: don't know if any London-based chefs on here!
Could be worth contacting if you're not in case they need any other sort of help?

https://twitter.com/daffodilsoup/status/1341332267164168195?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

It’s frustrating that this isn’t being pushed harder. How is it not the first thing that comes to mind, that it is going to be detected first in one place and that’s much more likely to be linked to testing rather than where it originated - and we know this stuff spreads too quickly to isolate immediately anyway.

It’s also incredibly frustrating because the action that France etc are taking is more likely to slow down the speed that this things are reported than speed them up. Why risk being cut off from the world because you reported first? Wait for someone else to do it first.

It is incredibly frustrating but it's our government's fault. They went out to the world with the message that this new and incredibly transmissible strain has arisen in Britain, and the EU has already acknowledged that they were responding to the sentiment from our leaders not their own evidence. Now we're in this intractable situation where the barriers have gone up and they won't come down because everyone thinks the UK is plague island.

Hancock going on tv and saying it was "out of control" went round the world and has hosed us beyond belief.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh it’s 100% their fault for over exaggerating to give them cover to row back a bad decision that should have been made weeks ago. And that’s frustrating too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Plus the other countries are looking at their calendars and going "eh, we were going to put the barriers up in 8 days anyway"