Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I suspect that if the EU had been informed of this through diplomatic channels as new information emerged, a joint response could have been formulated. Maybe we could have even offered to help other countries get up to speed on tracking the spread.

But instead we've spent 4 years pissing down diplomatic channels, and yelling gently caress you we're the best. And when there actually does turn out to be something we're the best at, we beat our chests about how great we are instead of using it to help. No wonder they took the first chance they got to pull up the drawbridge.

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Even if it does turn out to be 10x more dangerous imagine how it would have been briefed if it had happened to coincide with Eat Out to Help Out or Vaccine Day etc. bottom of page 94, "it doesn't help anyone to speculate" etc.

Because there was bad news to be delivered we instead got "reports that the dead are returning to life are unverified at this time".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bobstar posted:

Plus the other countries are looking at their calendars and going "eh, we were going to put the barriers up in 8 days anyway"

Implementing visa control for Brits is a very far cry from preventing all travel, for Brits and non-brits

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

gonadic io posted:

Implementing visa control for Brits is a very far cry from preventing all travel, for Brits and non-brits

That was mostly a joke, though the truck chaos is to some extent just a bit early.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This government get's Brits banned from 50 countries and counting, kills probably over 100k people, destroys the economy and completely fucks up Brexit and all associated diplomacy and literally cancels Christmas. AHEAD IN THE POLLS!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
And we don't even get to enjoy Alan Rickman being the one doing it all :sigh:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Looks like plague Island is open for business

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1341372906119553024?s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Tell that to the Post Office. In addition, people are getting turned away if they want to send stuff to the US.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Tarnop posted:

And when there actually does turn out to be something we're the best at, we beat our chests about how great we are instead of using it to help.

Which is somewhat amusing. Last time I checked the stats Australia, New Zealand, and Iceland had a greater proportion of cases sequenced.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Charisma chat: I’ve only met one MP and that was Angela Smith when she was briefly a CUK. She was doing some weird publicity thing with a board you stuck stickers on indicating whether you liked Brexit or not. I went and had a conversation with her and she was actually one the most charmless, bland, easily annoyed people I’d ever met. Gentle ribbing about CUK was met with poorly concealed grimacing fury, so I decided to prod a bit further and give her poo poo for all kinds of issues and she basically got into a huff and walked off lol. Her husband was much better at it and maintained a calm good humour through it all.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Bobstar posted:

Plus the other countries are looking at their calendars and going "eh, we were going to put the barriers up in 8 days anyway"

If I were a cynic I would say that the uk gov's actions were entirely intentional and that they wanted to create this chaotic situation so that they can blame covid instead of brexit when everything goes to hell on Jan 1st

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Flayer posted:

This government get's Brits banned from 50 countries and counting, kills probably over 100k people, destroys the economy and completely fucks up Brexit and all associated diplomacy and literally cancels Christmas. AHEAD IN THE POLLS!

God it's so loving good to have the grown ups in charge.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

kyojin posted:

If I were a cynic I would say that the uk gov's actions were entirely intentional and that they wanted to create this chaotic situation so that they can blame covid instead of brexit when everything goes to hell on Jan 1st

Nah they don't think as far as 10 days ahead. It was entirely about shifting blame by pointing at something new an unforeseeable as the reason they had to cancel Christmas

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

kyojin posted:

Wouldn't it be comforting to believe the government had a plan at the moment.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've seen an MP on Tinder, which is sort of the same, if you think about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've seen an MP on Tinder, which is sort of the same, if you think about it.

Did you match? Please tell me you matched.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Great stuff, excellent all round.

:toot:

https://twitter.com/PeterAdamSmith/status/1341386357516754945

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 22, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Competent world level 1 - screening at all ports from February, bans on flights from high risk areas, short tightly focused lockdowns, mandatory masks and other PPE
UK level 4 - Homeware stores & garden centres will now close.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Close the loving schools and offices you cowards

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Well, just tried to go to my local ASDA. Massive queue,, as long as I ever saw in March, only it was even more actual people because noone was social distancing.

So I crossed the street and went to Iceland instead which was merely regular busy. At least I got my Christmas oranges.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Trip report: Home Bargains.

Went about 20 mins ago. Almost empty. Apart from kids' toys, almost everything else except food roped off. Got mum a £1 bottle of wine (small one obviously - she can't drink much without getting entirely slaughtered and I have an idea one of my brothers has sent her a hamper).

The thing I am planning to get her from Ikea is currently unavailable for home delivery (and has been for weeks) so will have to get it when it finally does reappear.

Also bought a large tub of Vit C + Vit D capsules. (150 for £3.99) - they're 'therapeutic' doses ie about 3x RDA so I figure they'll last a year if I take one every 2-3 days. I do have some general multivits as well.

Waitrose later for some particular toiletries items unavailable elsewhere (including online!)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

feedmegin posted:

Well, just tried to go to my local ASDA. Massive queue,, as long as I ever saw in March, only it was even more actual people because noone was social distancing.

So I crossed the street and went to Iceland instead which was merely regular busy. At least I got my Christmas oranges.

Makes sure you stick some tin foil and candles on them to annoy Guavanaut.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

At least I got my Christmas oranges.
And he received the oranges from their hand, and he fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made a molded idol. Then they said, “This is your god, O England, that brought you out of the land of Europe!”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nowhere is safe from the virus anymore:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/antarctica-covid-coronavirus-outbreak-b1777580.html

quote:

Antarctica no longer Covid-free after 36 people test positive
The experts remain wary that the outbreak on the secluded continent can have greater implications due to its remote nature and subzero temperature

Antarctica, the only continent to remain unscathed by the coronavirus pandemic, has reported its first Covid infections. Thirty-six people tested positive at the Chilean research base, the Chilean military said on Tuesday.

The virus outbreak took place at General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme research base in Antarctica, where 26 members of the Chilean army and 10 maintenance workers were infected.

"36 men tested positive for Covid-19, of which 26 are Army personnel and 10 are civilians from a contractor company that was performing scheduled maintenance work at the Antarctic base," the military said.

All the 36 members have been evacuated to the city of Punta Arenas in Chile for isolation and are being monitored by the doctors.

The planet’s coldest and most unwelcoming continent had succeeded in remaining Covid-free until now by halting all the projects on its research bases on the continent.

Though there are no permanent residents in the Antarctica, it has 13 Chilean facilities and 1,000 researchers, according to the Associated Press.

The experts remain wary that the outbreak on the secluded continent can have greater implications due to its remote nature and subzero temperature.

“A highly infectious novel virus with significant mortality and morbidity in the extreme and austere environment of Antarctica with limited sophistication of medical care and public health responses is high risk with potential catastrophic consequences,” Associated Press quoted the document by the Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programs.

Hanne Nielsen of University of Tasmania told ABC that the presence of the virus in the continent has “implications for local wildlife, with the threat of humans transmitting the virus to other species."

"The remote nature of Antarctica heightens any health risks, so access to Antarctica may be constrained for longer periods,” she added.

As the novel coronavirus infected over 77 million people globally and accounted for more than 1 million deaths, a new variant of Sars-CoV-2 found in the UK has sparked a new wave of fear.

At least 25 countries imposed temporary ban on flights to and from the UK after the more aggressive variant of virus was reported. According to initial data, it is 70 per cent more easily transmitted.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Makes sure you stick some tin foil and candles on them to annoy Guavanaut.

Or mix it with some chocolate...somehow...to annoy Miftan (and me)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

And he received the oranges from their hand, and he fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made a molded idol. Then they said, “This is your god, O England, that brought you out of the land of Europe!”

Borange

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've started (posting about PC game giveaways), so I'll finish: Brigador is free on GOG today. I don't know much about the game but the soundtrack is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzIuxldPhE

(you get the soundtrack as an extra with the game)

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 22, 2020

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Went about 20 mins ago. Almost empty. Apart from kids' toys, almost everything else except food roped off. Got mum a £1 bottle of wine (small one obviously - she can't drink much without getting entirely slaughtered and I have an idea one of my brothers has sent her a hamper).

The thing I am planning to get her from Ikea is currently unavailable for home delivery (and has been for weeks) so will have to get it when it finally does reappear.

Also bought a large tub of Vit C + Vit D capsules. (150 for £3.99) - they're 'therapeutic' doses ie about 3x RDA so I figure they'll last a year if I take one every 2-3 days. I do have some general multivits as well.

Waitrose later for some particular toiletries items unavailable elsewhere (including online!)

The Vit D (D3 i assume) takes seven days from ingestion till you get any benefit, the quicker version is hospital use only via injection.

I'm prescribed D3 myself for low D level (3200iu per day plus i take an additional 4000iu (that i bought) at this time of year), i definitely want a good immune system this year.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Maybe my timing was just fortunate, but i swear that the Big Tesco near me in Midlothian yesterday was Christmas busy but not stock running out busy.

Is the extra supermarket busyness an England thing or are other parts of Scotland seeing it too?

The nearby Morrisons had a queue out the door but i've seen it like that for months so assumed they were just being hyper diligent with the number of people simultaneously inside in a way that Tesco arent.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 22, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

The Vit D (D3 i assume) takes seven days from ingestion till you get any benefit, the quicker version is hospital use only via injection.

I'm prescribed D3 myself for low D level (3200iu per day plus i take an additional 4000iu (that i bought) at this time of year), i definitely want a good immune system this year.

Yeah I have some D3 2000iu which I was taking one a day from clocks back to clocks forward but I've been somewhat slack of late.

I discovered in 2013 when I had a particular experience of having to return to the UK for 3 months in November to 24/7 pouring rain, staying somewhere with dense tree cover so it was dark, gloomy, miserable and wet for weeks on end, and after 360 days of sunshine a year for 6 years, I really went into a depression (other factors involved too). Started taking D3 and within 5 days really noticed a positive difference.

I don't eat a lot of fruit as I find it very bitter, but my 'emergency preparedness rations' include a small long-life fruit in juice pack for every day ('tropical fruit' and 'peaches' - only two types available). But if there are to be shortages best to be covered.
Also, I have high blood pressure apparently (had a 'now we are 60 MOT' at the docs a few weeks ago) and I'm not taking pills because last time I had it in 2007, I was given pills and they made me feel really bad so I flushed them down the loo and in fact blood pressure went right down a couple of months after chucking in my job and without losing weight, changing diet or exercising particularly more. But I digress. I read that Vitamin C 'may' contribute to reduction in blood pressure so another reason to take it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My suspicion is that it'll be places that have suddenly gone into T4 which are having trouble - essentially where people were expecting to be going to relatives for christmas but are now having to do a full christmas shop themselves. And as so much of our media coverage is biased towards London, that's the picture that's being painted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RichardA posted:

Which is somewhat amusing. Last time I checked the stats Australia, New Zealand, and Iceland had a greater proportion of cases sequenced.

Given the lot of them combined have had less cases, total, than we were getting per day *in the summer lull*, that's not that hard.

(This isn't a knock on them, it's very much on us making the best of being the petri dish of the world)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Charisma chat: I’ve only met one MP and that was Angela Smith when she was briefly a CUK. She was doing some weird publicity thing with a board you stuck stickers on indicating whether you liked Brexit or not. I went and had a conversation with her and she was actually one the most charmless, bland, easily annoyed people I’d ever met. Gentle ribbing about CUK was met with poorly concealed grimacing fury, so I decided to prod a bit further and give her poo poo for all kinds of issues and she basically got into a huff and walked off lol. Her husband was much better at it and maintained a calm good humour through it all.

please go into more details about the gentle ribbing

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

The (availability of) citrus fruit demonstrates God's love for (the rest of) the world

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ribbed, for her Displeasure.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:hfive: lightweight mum buddy

"i bloody love you, you know"
yes mum lets just get you down these three steps, it should only take about 45 minutes

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Convex posted:

I've started (posting about PC game giveaways), so I'll finish: Brigador is free on GOG today. I don't know much about the game but the soundtrack is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzIuxldPhE

(you get the soundtrack as an extra with the game)
game itself is very good imo, certainly worth trying for free to see if you click with it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

Close the loving schools and offices you cowards

“Who the gently caress keeps screaming at me to close the schools? Show yourself, coward, I’ll never stop teaching children about the Mitochondria!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"In cases of Long Covid, the mitochondria is the Northern Powerhouse of the cell."