Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pussy Cartel posted:

That token's art was what made me want to love the Quickdraw, in spite of how terrible it almost always is in action.

I think if they'd made it more of a straight portrait framing it'd look bad because the torso would be blocky, but the pose sells it. And heck, I'm all in on a good looking pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They call a Mech the Quickdraw but don't give it a single autocannon. It's shameful. even though in 3025 that's probably a strictly good decision

e: As a kid we always just house ruled the rear facing lasers on every 3025 design were forward facing. Also from what I recall of the boxed starter set the Grasshopper was a monster.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I really liked the 4th Edition boxed set art. It was more stylized than is usual even for BattleTech but I liked the style.

I actually like the QKD-5A in intro tech play. If you're balancing by tonnage (which actually works well for intro tech) or BV, I think it's worth the cost. It's a Jenner with lower land speed but better armor, enough heat sinks to jump and fire the forward four lasers, and a stronger kick.

I'll defend it as the one good Quickdraw until the QKD-9M in the Dark Ages. It's kind of sad that that is the case, though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I end up using the rear mounted lasers on the Battlemaster often enough that if they were moved forward I would consider it an unambiguous downgrade tbh.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Recognition Guide 10 is out.

I'm disappointed that the Hermit Crab isn't covered in modular armor like the Kit Fox I.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Legends PDF is also out and is pretty solid. Included for most backers.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hey can we all admit that that FRR aerospace pilot lady kamikaze-ing herself in to the Wolf warship to avenge Phelan Kell even though he was alive and in Clan Wolf was the most romantic story any of us have ever read? Also if I totally made up that memory of a novel I read 25 years ago, ignore this I posted something normal.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phelan was no longer having sex with her so she knew she had no purpose anymore. It might have been an effective moment if stackpole was less of a hack and actually bothered to give her a personality or something.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

There is no greater characterization than sad horny soldier. I think that was the plot of Jarhead.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Hey can we all admit that that FRR aerospace pilot lady kamikaze-ing herself in to the Wolf warship to avenge Phelan Kell even though he was alive and in Clan Wolf was the most romantic story any of us have ever read? Also if I totally made up that memory of a novel I read 25 years ago, ignore this I posted something normal.

She actually kamikazed pretty much directly into Phelan if I remember correctly. Which, say what you will about Stackpole, is pretty good dramatic irony.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

DrPop posted:

The Legends PDF is also out and is pretty solid. Included for most backers.

Do they email a code to active it? My brother bought me the kickstarter stuff so I'll have to go through him.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Do they email a code to active it? My brother bought me the kickstarter stuff so I'll have to go through him.

Yes, for me at least. The code was included within the email that was sent out about it.

The subject line for the email was "BattleTech: Clan Invasion Pledge Manager Closes on Dec. 22!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you redeem the code for all of the various digital items when that came out, it's now in your account. You shouldn't need to do anything else unless you never redeemed the code until now

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

General Battuta posted:

She actually kamikazed pretty much directly into Phelan if I remember correctly. Which, say what you will about Stackpole, is pretty good dramatic irony.

Women be flyin!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I was reading a bit on alpha strike, and I like that there's a role that basically only applies to the Urbanmech (and some vehicles, whatever, snorezzzzzz).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Infantry too.

"Ambusher" doesn't fit into any lance configurations at all, except as a hanger-on.

I think ambushers should've gotten a lance type all their own. Maybe something really "defense-oriented" like starting pre-deployed and hidden, but only being able to reveal themselves if an enemy moves into a certain range (letting you lay a 'minefield' of support infantry or UrbanMechs); or access to free movement SPAs to help them compensate for being the slowest units in the game.

Then they could give it to a few of the slower skirmishers like the Grasshopper, and some of the shittier Juggernauts, like the Banshee.

Edit: hidden units is trickier without a hex map, but marked "blip tokens" that a player can flip and say "This was nothing" or "Surprise, Centurion CN9-AH!" works pretty well in my experience.

The Hunchback gets to stay a Juggernaut though. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 23, 2020

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok early morning thought Do Not Steal

Since Paradox has some access to the Battletech license and also owns White Wolf, it’s time we merge these two great properties in to one. Davions? Vampires now. Kurita are werewolves. Marik can be ghosts. Mechs also get the supernatural powers. Totally new layer to gameplay and some new things for NPCs to overcome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's not really how licenses work. Also it looks like the HBS license has run its course.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Defiance Industries posted:

Also it looks like the HBS license has run its course.

Has it? That's a shame, I was hoping for more Battletech games that aren't whatever half-assed crap Piranha comes up with.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, they said they didn't have anything else BT in the pipe and were instead working on an original IP for now.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's not really how licenses work. Also it looks like the HBS license has run its course.

Thank you for letting me down gently :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I got ahold of the House Davion book, and I'm continually surprised how much energy is spent explaining the Star League/fall of Star League era and personalities. I don't get any sense the people really play in that time period, and so little of it matters to setting up the stories starting in the 3030s.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The fall of the Star League is like World War II, completely swept the table clean of the old order and, in its aftermath, created the new status quo. Nothing really makes sense without it, least of all ComStar, who is the central pillar of the entire universe TBH

That said the Third Hidden War is a top-tier era for play, matched only by the War of 3039 (which you don't get to participate in if you're a Marik or Liao). Star League tech, small unit actions rather than big regimental fights, and best of all everyone was disguised as pirates so you're actively encouraged to set everything you can't carry off on fire.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody has decided to remaster the entire Battletech animated series. This is glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvQB604kQs

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They kept Nicolai Malthus's magic disappearing and reappearing eyebrows, I'm happy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PoptartsNinja posted:

They kept Nicolai Malthus's magic disappearing and reappearing eyebrows, I'm happy.

It looks like one of those newfangled AI filters rather than something done by hand, so every mistake is going to remain.

I'm a weirdo who loves the cartoon and I'm glad the results are good, this is probably better quality than anyone has seen for 25 years. I'd actually buy it if there was a DVD release (or whatever, but it was made for SD so DVD would be fine) but since that's probably never going to happen this is the next best thing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any good recommendations on metalic-like paints for a first layer over black primer? I did my first mech (first mini in decades, so I’m rebuilding my collection and minimal skills) last weekend with a dark red over black, and I feel like I’d rather do metal with areas of red on top.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Any good recommendations on metalic-like paints for a first layer over black primer? I did my first mech (first mini in decades, so I’m rebuilding my collection and minimal skills) last weekend with a dark red over black, and I feel like I’d rather do metal with areas of red on top.

I think Vallejo Metal Color are the best you can get in the whole steel/silver range. Scale 75 is good for gold.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/metal-color-en/

https://scale75.com/en/scalecolor-range/181-metal-and-alchemy-golden-paint-set.html

If you can't find them locally or online easily, vallejo air metallics and good old GW metals are fine too. Metals work best over a gloss black primer, so you're good to go on that front with a regular black prime.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

My 2nd mini, first one (blurry in the background) much more of a disaster.

1) I realized too late that I had not thought about the head screen, either an appropriate color or painting it in first- so that's a disaster. I wanted to use gold and picked up something that I later realized was gold pigment. I spread a bit on and it felt like I was just spreading glitter over black :(

2) Bigger frustration is- and I don't know if it shows through on the photo- everything over the primer feels like it has weird streaks. I bought these off etsy and they're some sort of 3-d printed plastic obviously...and when I looked at them under the magnifying glass there's this grain that more or less covers each surface. When I went in to paint it felt like everything would pool or run to these tiny grooves. I did about ~3 layers of this red. I'd almost be fine with it since I sort of like how it looks a bit dirty and worn, but I hate that it's totally unintentional

3) I don't love the yellow I have for the trim bits either. The red is scarlet w/ a bit of flat red and I think I'm ok with that. The yellow...I don't have enough art smarts to explain why I don't think it plays well on this.

Otherwise I'm not too unhappy with this. I'd love to figure out if there's a way to do mini-stencils so I can drop some sort of Arano crest on this.

I assume I drybrush this next? But figured I'd post and see if anyone says "oh- you need to use the Frodo technique to make that thing look good!"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would recommend a medium or dark blue for the cockpit. It might just be the picture, but that 'Mech looks very orange, and blue is the complementary color to orange.

Depending on how thin your paints are, three coats might not be enough. Or it might be the pigments in the paints that are making it have poor coverage. Particularly on the right arm and left chest I'm inclined to think it might be that your coats weren't even across the model. This being a 3D print doesn't help, though, depending on how fine the detail was. Even the finest detail prints still need some TLC to smooth surfaces.

Yellow is the devil's color, it loving sucks to use and it's hard to get a consistent coat. Scheme wise I don't hate it but it's warm and bright layered with more warm and bright even besides the absolutely godawful performance of most yellow paints.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Strobe posted:

I would recommend a medium or dark blue for the cockpit. It might just be the picture, but that 'Mech looks very orange, and blue is the complementary color to orange.

Depending on how thin your paints are, three coats might not be enough. Or it might be the pigments in the paints that are making it have poor coverage. Particularly on the right arm and left chest I'm inclined to think it might be that your coats weren't even across the model. This being a 3D print doesn't help, though, depending on how fine the detail was. Even the finest detail prints still need some TLC to smooth surfaces.

Yellow is the devil's color, it loving sucks to use and it's hard to get a consistent coat. Scheme wise I don't hate it but it's warm and bright layered with more warm and bright even besides the absolutely godawful performance of most yellow paints.

Oh they're definitely not even in areas- I'd try to get it to lay even but it'd just pool in to those weird grains. Every layer I did made it a bit better, I can try to just keep going. Is it simply possible I'm thinning my paints out too much? I was trying to follow along in the minis thread intro posts, but I wasn't sure really how to tell when a paint was 'just right'.

I was tempted to grab the blue, and just...didn't. I don't know, maybe I was just worried it start to look like a christmas ornament or something.

edit- on the next one, I might do the whole thing in the rusted steel paint I used on the legs, then go over the areas I want "painted" with red. Actually I might see how that works on this one first before using a whole extra mini to test that style...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 28, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
What brand of paint are you using?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Vallejo

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ok. Vallejo paints are generally good, but in my (limited, they're hard to get in my area) experience I wouldn't say they're beginner friendly. They are thin enough that you can use zenethal highlighting with them without needing an airbrush.

With Vallejo, three coats may not be enough for good coverage over black, especially for a paint that 'bright.' That can feel frustrating as a new painter, but you're not doing anything wrong. Black is a hard shade to overcome.

There're some things you can do to mitigate it: starting with a dark red and then building up to a brighter one can help cut down on the number of layers you need. Vibrant colors like red and yellow generally work better over a white primer. Black primers are more 'newbie friendly' because they hide mistakes better, but they can also leave certain colors looking weirdly muted. On the plus side, blacks (especially gloss blacks) will make your silver metallic paints look really nice. For painting metallic golds, putting down a layer of brown first can help immensely.

What primer are you using? Is it a spray or hand-painted?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 28, 2020

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok. Vallejo paints are generally good, but in my (limited, they're hard to get in my area) experience I wouldn't say they're beginner friendly. They are thin enough that you can use zenethal highlighting with them without needing an airbrush.

With Vallejo, three coats may not be enough for good coverage over black, especially for a paint that 'bright.' That can feel frustrating as a new painter, but you're not doing anything wrong. Black is a hard shade to overcome.

There're some things you can do to mitigate it: starting with a dark red and then building up to a brighter one can help cut down on the number of layers you need. Vibrant colors like red and yellow generally work better over a white primer. Black primers are more 'newbie friendly' because they hide mistakes better, but they can also leave certain colors looking weirdly muted. On the plus side, blacks (especially gloss blacks) will make your silver metallic paints look really nice. For painting metallic golds, putting down a layer of brown first can help immensely.

What primer are you using? Is it a spray or hand-painted?

Spray matte black, Army Painter brand.

I did my first one with a grey primer a week or two ago and it was more even in painting now that I think about it...but I did appreciate that the little corners I struggled to hit being black made it seem like "dark shadowed area"...so I see where you're going there.

I'll try the brown/gold thing to see if that works :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Army painter spray's good.

What I'd suggest doing is what's called "Zenethal Highlighting." It works really well with thinner paints like Vallejo. Here's how it works:

1) Spray prime the whole mini black.
2) Spray prime the mini white from the top (pretend you're the sun shining light down from above), you'll want to use about a 30-40 degree angle.

It usually winds up looking like this:

It's primarily an airbrush technique but it also works with thinner paints like Vallejo's game color line. I don't really consider it an advanced or difficult priming technique, it's a nice middle-ground between the safety of black primer (all the recesses will be black) and the ease of painting over white primer. It makes sure the colors on the 'top' of your mini will look more vibrant than the ones underneath, which can help them a lot.

Edit: That's also the easy way to paint the Word of Blake's shadow divisions. Just add a few highlights, paint in the windows, and you're done. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 28, 2020

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Army painter spray's good.

What I'd suggest doing is what's called "Zenethal Highlighting." It works really well with thinner paints like Vallejo. Here's how it works:

1) Spray prime the whole mini black.
2) Spray prime the mini white from the top (pretend you're the sun shining light down from above), you'll want to use about a 30-40 degree angle.

It usually winds up looking like this:

It's primarily an airbrush technique but it also works with thinner paints like Vallejo's game color line. I don't really consider it an advanced or difficult priming technique, it's a nice middle-ground between the safety of black primer (all the recesses will be black) and the ease of painting over white primer. It makes sure the colors on the 'top' of your mini will look more vibrant than the ones underneath, which can help them a lot.

Edit: That's also the easy way to paint the Word of Blake's shadow divisions. Just add a few highlights, paint in the windows, and you're done. :haw:

Nice, I'll give it a shot

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The fall of the Star League is like World War II, completely swept the table clean of the old order and, in its aftermath, created the new status quo.

Makes it dumber that it starts and ends with the same dynasties holding the same territory.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Baron Porkface posted:

Makes it dumber that it starts and ends with the same dynasties holding the same territory.

Except for the most powerful one, which enacted a strategy of primacy for 500 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there anything that tries to estimate or detail how many non-Mech regiments the houses have? Particularly infantry?