Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huge drop of GPUs at BestBuy with a reasonable queue system.

Try your luck. I got a 3070!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Inzombiac posted:

They seemingly have 1650 supers and other things at reasonable prices again, to boot

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

CPUs too. I managed to get a 5600X but no luck on the 3060 unfortunately.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I hope seeing this pushes back some of the doom and gloom around availability.

It’s real, and you can get stuff if you’re patient.

No sense settling for less performance than you want for years cause you’re too impatient to wait like a month or 2.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I scored a 3070 on Amazon last week and the original ship date of late Feb just got bumped to Jan 6. There's hope!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I hope seeing this pushes back some of the doom and gloom around availability.

It’s real, and you can get stuff if you’re patient.

No sense settling for less performance than you want for years cause you’re too impatient to wait like a month or 2.

Eh, I think there's plenty reason for the average consumer to feel downtrodden about the situation.

Most normal people are searching Amazon every few weeks and seeing nothing. Us setting up bots and alerts and whatnot is not the common case.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Inzombiac posted:

Eh, I think there's plenty reason for the average consumer to feel downtrodden about the situation.

Most normal people are searching Amazon every few weeks and seeing nothing. Us setting up bots and alerts and whatnot is not the common case.

Yeah it's one of those things where if you work at it, the things are attainable, but normal people just want to be able to buy poo poo by going to the store/website, not dick around with other poo poo for some indeterminate amount of time.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Inzombiac posted:

I snagged one too. Wasn't expecting things to work so smoothly. Was only available for in-store pickup for me.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've got my new 5600x and I'm trying to figure out what ram to use. I've got two pairs of 8GB 3000 CL15 Corsair Vengeance LTX sticks, but I just found out that the one pair is Micron dual rank, and the other is Samsung single rank. I've bought a pair of 16GB 3200 CL16 (same brand). Should I keep the old ram or use the new kit? I'd probably want to try overclocking a bit.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I think I bagged a 3080FE a few minutes ago. I did not expect this to happen until January.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Stores keep coming up with availability and then I can't order from any of them. Great system guys

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Boz0r posted:

I've got my new 5600x and I'm trying to figure out what ram to use. I've got two pairs of 8GB 3000 CL15 Corsair Vengeance LTX sticks, but I just found out that the one pair is Micron dual rank, and the other is Samsung single rank. I've bought a pair of 16GB 3200 CL16 (same brand). Should I keep the old ram or use the new kit? I'd probably want to try overclocking a bit.

Prevailing wisdom is that for four sticks, you are better off getting a single kit than trying to mix and match two different pairs. It will _probably_ work but you might run into weirdness with timings, which could lead to stability issues

If you are trying to get to 32GB, you might as well just get a 2x16 kit. Average going price for the G.skill 3200 CL16 kit has been hovering around $110 USD

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Prevailing wisdom is that for four sticks, you are better off getting a single kit than trying to mix and match two different pairs. It will _probably_ work but you might run into weirdness with timings, which could lead to stability issues

If you are trying to get to 32GB, you might as well just get a 2x16 kit. Average going price for the G.skill 3200 CL16 kit has been hovering around $110 USD

Roger. I'll just need to make sure that this kit is dual rank.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Boz0r posted:

Roger. I'll just need to make sure that this kit is dual rank.

I think Micron/Crucial is the only one making single rank 16GB sticks right now. Your new set is very likely to be dual rank, but it's easy enough to verify in CPU-Z once you have it in hand.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

How much of a difference does 3200 mhz vs 3600 and optimized for intel/ryzen labels on RAM make? I see the Ryzen 5600X specsheet lists 3200 and the motherboards list 3200 and some other speeds for OC but not 3600. It looks like "optimized" is mostly marketing for if it was tested and has XMP profiles. Is this correct so far? Without overclocking is there a point to more than 3200?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CampingCarl posted:

How much of a difference does 3200 mhz vs 3600 and optimized for intel/ryzen labels on RAM make? I see the Ryzen 5600X specsheet lists 3200 and the motherboards list 3200 and some other speeds for OC but not 3600. It looks like "optimized" is mostly marketing for if it was tested and has XMP profiles. Is this correct so far? Without overclocking is there a point to more than 3200?

On Zen2, 2-5 fps, and it doesn't; not sure how the change in CCXs effects the effect on Zen3. Again on Zen2 you could get substantial improvements if you were willing to manually tune the subtimings which probably holds, and ram with a higher rated speed is probably better for such, but I don't have the details. HWUnboxed just did a video on Zen and ram, but I haven't watched it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, if we actually do end up getting $2K stimulus, I'll feel like a real knob not going for a 3080 instead of a 70.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Man, if we actually do end up getting $2K stimulus, I'll feel like a real knob not going for a 3080 instead of a 70.

Nobody's getting 2000 bucks. It's posturing.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

orange juche posted:

Nobody's getting 2000 bucks. It's posturing.

:hmmyes:

I'm happy w my new intel build and a nvidia 1650. I'll let the dust settle before I get a hot new gpu (my old default GPU rec cost was ~$200, these days I'd stretch that $100-150, but not until things get more stable/normal)

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Inzombiac posted:

None of the Best Buys around me have anything, and I still have yet to see one in stock. I just want a base model 3060 FE for $400. :(

What is a good 120mm case fan? I'm looking to replace my current (broken) fans with 1 or 2 120mm fans.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Finally got my P500a in today. Now the question is if my NH-D15 will be a problem getting in there. Everything currently fits together in my Fractal R4, so I can only assume it'll work again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a full length PSU shroud on my Fractal design Meshify case. Would it be possible to mount a small screen to the shroud, between tempred glass side panel? And maybe connect the display via HDMI or DP or something and use the screen to display different stats, like temps, fan rpm, maybe weather outside etc.? Has anyone here done something similar?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Min/maxing is a terrible drug but looking back after you built and are enjoying the PC to think about how you could have, possibly, sometime down the line, min/maxed better is a poisonous money pit.

Put the money in the bank or enjoy it and in 2 years get a 4080 or 4070ti

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 23, 2020

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ihmemies posted:

I have a full length PSU shroud on my Fractal design Meshify case. Would it be possible to mount a small screen to the shroud, between tempred glass side panel? And maybe connect the display via HDMI or DP or something and use the screen to display different stats, like temps, fan rpm, maybe weather outside etc.? Has anyone here done something similar?

Not the biggest fan of the channel, but this popped up in my youtube recs a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTdniu3gn3Y

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CampingCarl posted:

For AMD 3600 CL16 is the best bang for the buck in terms of gaining performance from just plugging in faster ram and turning on XMP. The gains aren't amazing but the markup also isn't that much.

The problem with going higher than that is a) the markup in memory price can get stupid, and b) the memory controller can't run 1:1 with ram over 3800 reliably anyway.

Some dope said 4000 was the ideal for Zen 3, but then it turned out that Zen 3 memory controller still won't reliably run 1:1 with anything over 3800 so that's BS basically. Some individual CPUs/mobos can do it but it's not something you can just plug and play at all.

You can go down a memory hole of manually overclocking ram based on messing with 24 different values in the BIOS or whatever, but for normal humans that's not remotely worth it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm going to guess the answer is no but is it still possible to upgrade my socket lga1150 CPU? its not a big issue but with cyberpunk running like poo poo if i could upgrade the cpu for not much i'd have been willing to do it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jose posted:

i'm going to guess the answer is no but is it still possible to upgrade my socket lga1150 CPU? its not a big issue but with cyberpunk running like poo poo if i could upgrade the cpu for not much i'd have been willing to do it

In that you could buy a higher-end cpu from back when it was current, yes, but those are never available for anything resembling a reasonable price. So not really, no.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jose posted:

Might be worth pushing an OC or doing a delid if you feel comfortable risking it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
What's the best way to browse for 3000 series GPU stock as a brit? I'm in a couple of alert discords, is there anything else I should be doing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Might be worth pushing an OC or doing a delid if you feel comfortable risking it.

not sure what you mean by delid but if its risky then no. I went into the bios and its set to auto OC to up to 3.6ghz. Its an i5 4570 normaly at 3.2ghz

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming primarily.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to keep it under $1500, but this is flexible.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I want to game at 2k 144hz with high settings.

I managed to get orders in for a 3070 and 5600x. Assuming the orders are fulfilled I'd like to build a new system.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $278.48)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($80.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $589.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1258.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-23 11:13 EST-0500

If there's no price associated, I'd like to bring the part across from my current/old build. Looking for any critiques and suggestions. Memory, motherboard, and NVME SSD were recommended in other people's posts so that's what I used for reference.
  1. CPU cooler - can I reuse the CRYORIG or should I get a new one? I know that I'd need an AM4 bracket if reusing.
  2. Case - looks like GPU (305 mm) will fit in current case (315 mm)
  3. PSU - should I buy a new one? Corsair PSU was purchased 2016Dec

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jose posted:

not sure what you mean by delid but if its risky then no. I went into the bios and its set to auto OC to up to 3.6ghz. Its an i5 4570 normaly at 3.2ghz

I think the highest chip you can even go to is a 4790k on that socket... which... is definitely NOT worth the upgrade. Your CPU is unfortunately 7 years old.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i know its ancient at this point and i wasn't seriously considering upgrading it but cyberpunk is the first game to really struggle. hopefully i'll just build a new pc next year

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just plotting out a CPU upgrade in the next year or two, and speaking of socketing. AMD had committed to AM4 up through Zen 3, but are there any rumblings that they will be switching things up for the (currently hypothetical, right?) Zen 4? It would be nice to get the first chip on a new socket to hope for some forward compatability.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jose posted:

yeah i know its ancient at this point and i wasn't seriously considering upgrading it but cyberpunk is the first game to really struggle. hopefully i'll just build a new pc next year

Cyberpunk "struggles" on a lot of hardware. It's this generations Crysis. But yea, hopefully you can build new next year! And hopefully everything is back in stock by then.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Boxman posted:

Just plotting out a CPU upgrade in the next year or two, and speaking of socketing. AMD had committed to AM4 up through Zen 3, but are there any rumblings that they will be switching things up for the (currently hypothetical, right?) Zen 4? It would be nice to get the first chip on a new socket to hope for some forward compatability.

Current rumors are a Zen3+ on AM4 in 2021 and Zen4 on a new socket with DDR5 in 2022.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

For AMD 3600 CL16 is the best bang for the buck in terms of gaining performance from just plugging in faster ram and turning on XMP. The gains aren't amazing but the markup also isn't that much.

The problem with going higher than that is a) the markup in memory price can get stupid, and b) the memory controller can't run 1:1 with ram over 3800 reliably anyway.

Some dope said 4000 was the ideal for Zen 3, but then it turned out that Zen 3 memory controller still won't reliably run 1:1 with anything over 3800 so that's BS basically. Some individual CPUs/mobos can do it but it's not something you can just plug and play at all.

You can go down a memory hole of manually overclocking ram based on messing with 24 different values in the BIOS or whatever, but for normal humans that's not remotely worth it.
I think I saw the 4000 thing somewhere and I assumed it was probably something that was only reliable with manual fiddling and not worth the effort. I was looking at 3600, looks to be roughly $160 for 32GB compared to $130-140 for 3200.
I saw this specific kind recommended a couple places Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 though I can't tell if it is just for ability to go >3600 but its same price as everything else?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

literally this big posted:

What is a good 120mm case fan? I'm looking to replace my current (broken) fans with 1 or 2 120mm fans.
Quoting this from earlier because I'm still looking for recommendations. What's a good (mid-range, cost-effective) 120mm case fan to replace 1-2 fans?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Quoting this from earlier because I'm still looking for recommendations. What's a good (mid-range, cost-effective) 120mm case fan to replace 1-2 fans?

You can't go wrong with Noctua's stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Arctic p12s are excellent value for money, much cheaper than noctua a12x25s and nearly as good performance wise. Apparently they suffer from coil whine around 1000rpm but that's very easy to avoid with fan curves. You can get a 5 pack for the same price as 1 noctua