Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bows1 posted:

I need a game to veg out to for a bit. Stuck inside with Covid. Is Sleeping Dogs any good?

Sleeping Dogs is a great game if you're in the mood for something GTA-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Some notable sales (all until 1/9/2021 except Death Stranding):
Death Stranding $19.99 (ends on 12/23/20) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA11260_00-DEATHSTRAND00001
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled $13.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0002-CUSA13795_00-CRASHTEAMRACING1
Cuphead $13.99 (new low) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP8062-CUSA20499_00-CUPHEAD000000000
Doom Eternal $19.79 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1003-CUSA13338_00-DOOMETERNALBUNDL
Final Fantasy VII Remake $29.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA07211_00-FFVIIREMAKE00000
Ghost of Tsushima $40.19 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA11456_00-GHOSTSHIP0000001
Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition $14.99 (new low) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2470-CUSA10065_00-KRZTVSIEA0000000
The Last of Us Part II $29.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA07820_00-THELASTOFUSPART2
My Friend Pedro $9.99 (new low) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3643-CUSA18145_00-0000000000000000
NieR: Automata GOTY $19.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA04551_00-GOTYORHADIGITAL0
Outer Wilds $14.99 (new low) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2470-CUSA09929_00-OUTERWILDSSIEA00
Overcooked! All You Can Eat $37.49 (first discount) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4064-PPSA01529_00-4759077947287005
Persona 5 Royal $29.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA17416_00-PERSONA5R0000000
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice GOTY $38.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0002-CUSA12047_00-SEKIROGAME000001
Slay the Spire $12.49 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3864-CUSA15289_00-SLAYTHESPIREGAME
The Yakuza Remastered Collection $29.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA15325_00-YAKUZAREMASTERED
Yakuza: Like a Dragon $44.99 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA16734_00-SHINRYUGAGOTOKEN

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yussss N:A is on sale now I can play it again before the remake comes out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Persona 5 Royal and Doom Eternal for $50 feels like a pretty good deal, right? That’s like 100+ hours of a slow RPG and 10 hours of the most intense and fast-paced FPS ever, basically?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

gey muckle mowser posted:

Dark Souls 3 chat: I'm up to the Twin Princes and they are kicking my rear end. I'll get them eventually I'm sure but this is the hardest fight so far for me. At what point should I do the DLC? I haven't actually bought it yet but it's on sale right now so I think I'll pick it up.

Also I've been playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 and it's super chill and fun, perfect for when I want a break from DS3.
You don't automatically go into NG+ like most of the other From games so you can safely fight/beat the last boss and then go to it from there, if my memory is correct... You're very close to that point!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The second DLC is actually accessed from the last bonfire before the final boss anyway

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Akuma posted:

You don't automatically go into NG+ like most of the other From games so you can safely fight/beat the last boss and then go to it from there, if my memory is correct... You're very close to that point!

haveblue posted:

The second DLC is actually accessed from the last bonfire before the final boss anyway

Sweet, thanks!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

Persona 5 Royal and Doom Eternal for $50 feels like a pretty good deal, right? That’s like 100+ hours of a slow RPG and 10 hours of the most intense and fast-paced FPS ever, basically?

if you love your dmc you're gonna love eternal

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dark Souls 3 chat: I'm up to the Twin Princes and they are kicking my rear end. I'll get them eventually I'm sure but this is the hardest fight so far for me. At what point should I do the DLC? I haven't actually bought it yet but it's on sale right now so I think I'll pick it up.

I did the DLCs before Twin Princes my first time through and it works pretty well. It makes the DLCs pretty challenging but by the time you're done with them you can clown on everything left in the base game

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So sad update on an error code I've received. I started getting ce 35888 2 when I tried to update the system to 8.03. My console has never been messed with so it's not the optical drive.

It's some issue with the motherboard and I've tried a restart and unplugging every cord restart and nothing works. As far as I can tell the only possible solution would be sending in the system (if that would even fix it). Otherwise I have to constantly delete update files in order to use games and apps. I wasn't going to look for a ps5 for a long while but looks like I'll start next year.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

There are some good indie games in the most recent sale. Three questions:

(1) if I had to pick between the two Monster Boy games, which one should I get (cursed kingdom v dragons trap)

(2) if I had to pick between Blaster Master Zero or it’s sequel (zero 2), which one should I get?

(3) any reason to avoid Wizard of Legend, Celeste, Axiom Verge, or Sundered?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

1redflag posted:

(1) if I had to pick between the two Monster Boy games, which one should I get (cursed kingdom v dragons trap)
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is the better game overall than Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap but they're both great. Dragon's Trap is a fair bit more linear, but I personally enjoy the art style more.

Monster Boy (note, not Wonder Boy!) is a love letter to the Wonder Boy games so it has a TON of little references and callbacks to all the old Games but it's really not necessary to have that context, it's a good modern Metroidvania that stands on its own.

Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap is a graphical and audio upgrade (you can switch at any time) to an 8bit era game, and that lineage is really apparent in the structure - a hub world with spokes that you have to tackle in a certain order, but you can end up going the wrong way and have to backtrack because there's sometimes really no way to know which way you should go. It also has a potentially confusing opening because it's number 3 in a series and the first level is the last level of number 2. But I guess Symphony of the Night cribbed that much later with starting with the end of Rondo of Blood and I doubt that caused any issues with anybody.

I love Wonder Boy and Monster World. A lot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

1redflag posted:

There are some good indie games in the most recent sale. Three questions:

(2) if I had to pick between Blaster Master Zero or it’s sequel (zero 2), which one should I get?

Both Monster Boys are excellent, can't really recommend one over the other. Cursed Kingdom is more modern, has more story. I think I preferred Dragons Trap more, but it's more old school and less forgiving. I like the art style better too.

Haven't played Wizard of Legend or Sundered but Celeste is an S tier game. Absolutely get it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo this reminded me that Asha in Monster World is due out in March. loving pumped for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

1redflag posted:

Both BMZ games are good, start with the first

Axiom Verge is one of the slowest, boring EDF metriodvanias I've played, neat art and music but it dragggssssssss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akuma posted:

Oh poo poo this reminded me that Asha in Monster World is due out in March. loving pumped for that.

I was more excited when I thought it was a sequel instead of a remake which removes all the gorgeous sprite work and replaced it with meh 3D

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I was more excited when I thought it was a sequel instead of a remake which removes all the gorgeous sprite work and replaced it with meh 3D
Oh... yeah. I forgot about that :(

Edit oh poo poo Monster Lair reference tho. Can't remember if that was in the original game or not.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 22, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone play that Darth Vader VR thing? It's on sale and was thinking of trying it out. Is it more of an experience than a game?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bows1 posted:

I need a game to veg out to for a bit. Stuck inside with Covid. Is Sleeping Dogs any good?

It is. Some parts may seem a bit bland these days and other parts are obviously cut or unfinished because Activision cancelled it and then Square Enix picked it up but the main story missions and at least some of the side missions are some fantastic Hong Kong martial arts/cop stuff.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Just got an email from CDPR about processing a refund, they’re only handling the physical disc versions for console. Digital redirects to Sony’s refund site.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ZeeBoi posted:

Just got an email from CDPR about processing a refund, they’re only handling the physical disc versions for console. Digital redirects to Sony’s refund site.

do you have to send the disc back?

edit: oh lol its only till december 21st. well there goes that plan.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 22, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Goddammit, I could buy Like a Dragon now or wait for the PS5 version...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

1redflag posted:

(3) any reason to avoid Celeste?

you should avoid it if you're a dummy who hates good games. otherwise it's one of the best games of the past few years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

you should avoid it if you're a dummy who hates good games. otherwise it's one of the best games of the past few years

not everyone likes platforming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bows1 posted:

How do you feel about pork buns

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ZeeBoi posted:

:same: And I still haven't gotten a refund from Sony.

Vikar Jerome posted:

do you have to send the disc back?
Nah, just take a picture of the ticket number they give you next to your game disc and proof of purchase.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

it's only $7 so unless you absolutely hate the idea of platformers it's worth a shot. I'm actually not generally an especially big platformer fan and don't enjoy stuff like Super Meat Boy at all but Celeste was my favorite game of 2018

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I have been playing Celeste and it is fun and great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought I hated platformers but Celeste was fun and relatively quick and easy

Gave up on the B-sides real quick though

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Celeste is a Good Video Game more than it is a Good Platformer, if that makes any sense

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

1redflag posted:

Wizard of Legend is widely considered a stupidly hard game to the point where it's not even a fun challenge anymore, just a grind.

Axiom Verge is okay, but the developer is kinda of full of himself and if you don't buy into how "clever" and "deep" its story and mechanical gimmicks are, then the actual gameplay itself is pretty much average at best. The boss fights in particular are honestly just boring and generic instead of the high points of the game that they should be, which is pretty bad considering how important these are to a metroidvania game.

Sundered is a pretty solid sidescrolling action-roguelite with metaprogression. Not much to say about it otherwise. It has a nice art style, but otherwise it doesn't really do anything particularly unique or interesting.

No real opinion on Celeste, it's just not my kind of game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got 90% of the way through axiom verge and gave up on one of the last bosses which seemed to require you to navigate a bullet hell level of projectiles while also jumping across a gap and hitting his weak spot during the jump

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Okay, ended up getting both monster/wonder boy games, both blaster master games, and the rest except for axiom verge. Also, yea, I heard wizard of legend is kind of lame solo, but that it’s a ton of fun co-op (and that it’s basically balanced around co-op) so that’s the real reason I got it. Thanks y’all!

E. One last question: should I get Chasm? I remember reading good things about it several years ago when it was still in development, but I feel like I haven’t heard any opinions since it actually dropped.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 22, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

:same: And I still haven't gotten a refund from Sony.

Nah, just take a picture of the ticket number they give you next to your game disc and proof of purchase.

they dont block the game in anyway? like they dont ask for your psn or anything? so it being the 22nd, refund is too late now i guess?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

It's got a great story and music, and if it's too hard there's an assist mode. It's genuinely in the top five 2D platformers of all time.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Arist posted:

Goddammit, I could buy Like a Dragon now or wait for the PS5 version...

Supposedly the PS4 version is getting the PS5 update eventually.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

1redflag posted:

E. One last question: should I get Chasm? I remember reading good things about it several years ago when it was still in development, but I feel like I haven’t heard any opinions since it actually dropped.
A lot of people here don't seem to like it for some reason, but I thought it was pretty okay. It's a bit more RPG-ish than most roguelites, but it also has some metroidvania elements in that you keep getting more and more movement abilities that let you explore new regions. The game world itself is procgen, but I personally kinda liked the direction they went with it - there are a lot of long and largely featureless connecting tunnels, which many people criticized as boring and pointless, but I think it makes the game world feel a lot more like you're actually spelunking through a vast and convoluted cave system where most games like this end up just feeling like a random pile of lego pieces with no real rhyme or reason to them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Supposedly the PS4 version is getting the PS5 update eventually.

its getting it the same time the standalone is released in march and all that is, is the digital version of the ps5 gets added to your account and you download that to play it but still require the disc and your saves wont transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Uhhhh....