Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pathos posted:

Also someone really should make an Early RTS thread. I would but ...
:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

An early RTS thread better start with Herzog Zwei and how much it kicks rear end.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Retro RTS Thread: 1v1 Me In Dune 2, Scrub

• After a lengthy silence, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin have posted an update announcing that an update planned for January with a new level and enemy, followed by a full release in the summer.
  • Not a Retro FPS per-se, but it's sufficiently old for this subforum and I think people here will like this: Venice Unleashed is a custom platform for Battlefield 3 (which is currently being given away through Amazon Prime, if you didn't hear) that allows for custom dedicated servers outside of EA's weird Battlelog thing and full mod support.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Done.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952354

I'm sure I missed all sorts of poo poo, and I used this thread as a baseline, but hopefully it's sufficient for now.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Having briefly mucked about in Dromed (Second worst map in the TG 20th anniversary competition! Third worst if you include the map that got disqualified because someone glued together bits from other people's maps) anything that makes bloody room brushing easier will be a massive bonus.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Turns out 3D Realms owed Bobby Prince royalties after all. Oops!

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/gearbox-and-duke-nukem-composer-settle-lawsuit-after-3d-realms-admits-it-inadvertently-overlooked-licence/

PC Gamer posted:

"We at 3D Realms appreciate Bobby Prince, Randy Pitchford, and the Gearbox team for working with us to address the concerns raised in Mr. Prince's lawsuit. After review by counsel, a licence with Bobby was inadvertently overlooked by 3D Realms when we sold Gearbox the Duke Nukem catalog. We are relieved to have the issues resolved and extend our best to everyone."

That's probably going to be an expensive inadvertent overlooking. Gearbox added that its own review had shown Prince's claim "rested with 3D Realms."

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said: "Bobby Prince has been and remains a valuable contributor to the Gearbox family. We appreciate Bobby and his team working with us to clear up the misunderstandings and confusion. He's an incredible artist and we value his contributions to our works."

The settlement has not been disclosed, though all parties will be covering their own legal fees. Prince seems happy with the outcome, and has confirmed his music will remain in the game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just a lil oopsie doopsie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Strange that he'd agree to cover his own legal fees in the settlement.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Strange that he'd agree to cover his own legal fees in the settlement.

Not really if they settled amicably, which is what it sounds like.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going by experience a favorable settlement is worded in a passive way something like "we agree to pay so-and-so X amount and recommend Y amount of the settlement set aside for the client's counsel."

I'm sure 3D Realms isn't happy while Randy walks off laughing like a comic book villain.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Edit: thought better of reigniting the argument.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 22, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaB3NXAGIKo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What was that HL2 mod that came out in the past two years or so that was kind of a big deal? I'm afraid I don't remember anything more than that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fadam posted:

What was that HL2 mod that came out in the past two years or so that was kind of a big deal? I'm afraid I don't remember anything more than that.

Hunt Down the Freeman :chaostrump:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Titanfall 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Black Mesa?
G String?

There was a remake of Uplink that was supposed to hit last week but hell if I remember the title.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It was MMod. Ty tho all.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

Titanfall 2

This is on sale on Steam and is the best FPS campaign of the last few years imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hunt Down the Freeman :chaostrump:

lol

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Convex posted:

This is on sale on Steam and is the best FPS campaign of the last few years imo

Best FPS of the decade imo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's DUSK but Titanfall 2 owns extremely hard.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What makes T2 so good? I only played the campaign for an hour and wasn’t really drawn in.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

SeANMcBAY posted:

What makes T2 so good? I only played the campaign for an hour and wasn’t really drawn in.
I usually don't like those CoD style campaigns but T2 has some interesting gimmicks to make each level unique. Helps that the gunplay is decent too
It's short as gently caress though, took me like 6 hours to beat, though that could be considered a plus if you picked the game up on sale

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a standard military FPS but you can move fast and do parkour. also there are giant robot segments, decent boss fights, and a number of memorable gimmick levels to keep things from getting too rote. I wasn’t blown away by it but it’s definitely better than the average Call of Duty

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It has a couple of incredibly inventive levels and the movement and shooting feel great. It's def not as good as Dusk though or amid evil or either of the new Dooms. Probably some other ones I'm forgetting too.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NlgSXHtVQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Please stop, it's so ugly. The cherry on top is the desynced sound, but I did also appreciate how the spectres actually looked ok, right up until you saw them with invulnerability active and then they're back to being poo poo.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The death animations may be the worst part. The cyberdemon didn't even explode!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s almost kinda charming compared to that last vid. The Doom monsters Quake 2ified.

Not a boomer shooter but what do you guys think of the Metro games? 2033 Redux is free today on Epic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s almost kinda charming compared to that last vid. The Doom monsters Quake 2ified.

Not a boomer shooter but what do you guys think of the Metro games? 2033 Redux is free today on Epic.

I've only played 2033 Redux, it was pretty good. A bit Half-Life, a bit STALKER, it works pretty well.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gross

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

this is a crime

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played Metro: Last Light when it came out, I enjoyed it. Very linear, but an interesting setting that's fun to be in with a good respect for ammo conservation. M:LL also had a more open-world exploration sub-game that's survival based. No comment on the Redux remakes, nor Exodus, as I can't get them to run.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lmao the lost souls

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Titanfall 2 owns, Metro is good, and that video is very bad.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I really liked the Metro series for what they were going for: distilling a bit of Half life style fps into it's own setting. Can't speak for Exodus.

Also at one point a 10 year old boy strolled up and spoke in a 30+ year old Russian smoker's voice so it was a solid game all around.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm the Baron swinging in very slow motion to launch a plasmaball.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love them and have played them all extensively. Exodus in particular has a very “STALKER” feel to it, mechanically, with how many of the segments are large, open maps that can be freely explored and are dotted with camps and ruins and mutants and bandits. One of the earliest segments, Volga, is especially reminiscent: trudging through mud and swamp, scrounging for gear, dispatching bandits and wandering mutant hordes.

It’s true that some people hold it against Exodus that a majority of it is spent above ground, but I feel like the reality is that eventually the story had to exit the sprawling subterranean metro system, and it did it in a way that felt very satisfying, with plenty of beautiful post-apocalyptic environments and scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm the Baron swinging in very slow motion to launch a plasmaball.

i'm the muted "drat it Feels Good to be a Gangsta" that's playing over "Hiding the Secrets" for 20 seconds