Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rukka's prior-to-D3O-armour was way less malleable and comfortable than D3O. I have swapped out for D3O as it is way more comfortable.

Also, the SeeSmart shown here https://www.revitsport.com/en/learning-center/revit-protection-technology/, I have some of that too. I would argue that one is too malleable if you put it in jeans, i.e. it keeps folding in on itself which is annoying. The "D3O Ghost" version of that is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

At first glance it just looks like regular padded foam which gave me visions of abrating away at even slow speeds.

The foam won't stand up to abrasion, that's the textile's job. It's there for impact protection, that's it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Ah yeah, it looks like I have the see-soft stuff. Seems it is rated so it's likely not an issue so I'll probably leave it. At first glance it just looks like regular padded foam which gave me visions of abrating away at even slow speeds.

You can add protection too, start with back protector and I think that jacket you have has chest pockets as well. Revit armor will fit best obviously.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

mincedgarlic posted:

Just starting out and was hoping to get some advice on jackets and pants for warmer climates. I live in San Diego and will be learning to street ride. Is it possible to find jackets that offer protection and visibility that will also work in a warmer climate? It seems like mesh is the way to go.

I'm no expert, but since no one else responded I'll say that as long as it is from a reputable brand, fits appropriately, and has proper armor (elbow, shoulder, back -- you may have to purchase back separately), then it should be fine.

I personally have found mesh to be way too cold, but I'm in SF. It may be fine for SD. This might be obvious to you, but it wasn't to me: on a motorcycle your upper body is being exposed to 45+ mph winds for hours on end. I would consider a jacket with fitment adjustment to allow layering or a good zip-in liner to provide warmth on cooler days, because mesh by itself provides no warmth whatsoever.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

mincedgarlic posted:

Just starting out and was hoping to get some advice on jackets and pants for warmer climates. I live in San Diego and will be learning to street ride. Is it possible to find jackets that offer protection and visibility that will also work in a warmer climate? It seems like mesh is the way to go.

I live in Dallas and went with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3. I generally just use the mesh bit, and I replaced all of the armor with CE2 rated D3O stuff. When it drops below 60f I'll throw the "over jacket" on and that keeps me fine until I really need to start adding layers.

http://www.joerocket.com/textile-jackets/alter-ego41

I've fallen over a couple of times and been hit by a car once (got merged into while going about 40MPH) while wearing just the mesh bit and the jacket held up fine, no popped seams or anything abraded through.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is a good explanation of what CE ratings mean and what classes of protection (5 of them) mean:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/info_pages/faq_armor_ratings_explained.html

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone have a revit tornado jacket? I'm looking for a new summer mesh jacket to wear in the desert southwest. Max airflow, armor in all the usual places and good abrasion resistance are key while things like water resistance and a liner are secondary

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone have a revit tornado jacket? I'm looking for a new summer mesh jacket to wear in the desert southwest. Max airflow, armor in all the usual places and good abrasion resistance are key while things like water resistance and a liner are secondary

liners are fuckin stupid since your outer shell gets soaked. you can get a similar jacket for half the cost without a liner from revit in the eclipse (what I run down here in TN during the summer without issues). that being said, I did not love the included knox elbow armor it came with (I replaced it with their seesmart armor and pitched the knox stuff and it made me go from liking the jacket to loving it) as it is far bulkier than what revit typically supplies with their jackets, but it also this jacket is only $180 from revzilla

that tornado 3 looks perfectly fine to me, but again, I dislike liners and far prefer layering (I carry a mosko moto deluge set of pants and jacket in my backpack just in case). seems like going to a liner-less jacket would save you big bucks when you're not really looking for one!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hey cool thanks!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

Hey cool thanks!

np! also take a look at the gt air 2 I think? iirc it already has the seesmart armor in it and looks to have as much airflow as the eclipse has. you might be fine with the knox armor though, I am just incredibly picky and had zilla bucks to blow so buying the seesmart stuff was nbd

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

I have the Rev'It Levante, which is basically the ADV version of the Tornado. I agree with what right arm said. I pretty much only use my liner if it's below ~65 since it's kinda bulky and doesn't breathe at all once I get hot. Anything above that and I just wear a sweatshirt or other layers.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What are the go to boots recommendations for new riders? I remember A* SMX 6 were pretty much the default a few years ago, is that still the case? Do people ride boots like the Tech 3/5 on street/adventure bikes?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think it depends on how serious you want to go on protection. I really like my A* SMX plus, but it looks like now there's a V2 of those and they're even more expensive. I've worn them to many concerts, walked far in them etc and they feel great, but a lot of people used to prefer something like the Forma Adventure low. I will say compared to a lot of gear, A* SMX plus are a lot more comfortable than you'd expect, I've worn them all day with no complaints.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hm, a new armor insert type I had not heard about, seems neat. Thin, flexible and level 2.

SAS-TEC Level 2 Phantom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7_JctoCIQ

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

MomJeans420 posted:

I think it depends on how serious you want to go on protection. I really like my A* SMX plus, but it looks like now there's a V2 of those and they're even more expensive. I've worn them to many concerts, walked far in them etc and they feel great, but a lot of people used to prefer something like the Forma Adventure low. I will say compared to a lot of gear, A* SMX plus are a lot more comfortable than you'd expect, I've worn them all day with no complaints.

I'm quickly finding the poo poo kickers I picked up for my MSF course are not ideal. They're clunky and I want more 'feel' in the toe. Will tall boots like the A* SMX be too stiff in the ankle for a new rider? Being new, I'm a little spazzy with my foot and don't need an added thing to contend with when I'm going through the motions. I like the added protection afforded by tall boots (vs short boots) but am wondering about the ankle thing. Am I worried about nothing?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You're going to get muscle memory for whatever gear you use, so IMO you may as well get it based around proper safety gear. My personal thinking is your helmet is the most important, but your hands and feet both have tons of small bones and will make your life a lot more difficult if they don't work, so I have hands and feet next in the safety list. I often wear a good jacket but just non-bike pants, which is not ideal and I'm looking to change that sooner rather than later. I started off with just high tops and to your point, when I first moved to boots I stalled the bike on a hill twice because I was using too much force on the rear brake when I took off from a stop. You adapt very quickly, and now on the rare occasions I'm wearing high tops or boat shoes I sometimes gently caress up the 1st to 2nd shift because I'm so used to doing it with boots on.

I also found that the more gear I wore, the more confident I felt on the bike, which is a huge part of riding. And then once I got used to wearing something like boots, going back to less protection definitely feels sketch.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It’s 20° ish in Michigan mornings when I get out from overnight shifts.

ARC Battleborn. Still have this and it’s still pretty toasty warm with a long sleeve thermal under it. 35°+, I don’t need the thermal shirt. Zipper on the pants is separating after two years of ownership, which may bother me in the springtime when it can be cold and rainy.

Feels bulky as hell walking around with it, but fine on the bike itself. Also makes me look twice my age.

I have used MAYBE two of the jacket pockets - one of the inside, and the outer vertical chest pocket - in its entire life of ownership. Pants pockets, well, 🤷🏼‍♂️ they suck, tankbag your poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm wearing boat shoes

I know what you mean, when I'm just wearing pleated khaki shorts and a polo shirt instead of gear it feels weird.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I know what you mean, when I'm just wearing pleated khaki shorts and a polo shirt instead of gear it feels weird.

How do you valet your bike at the yacht club?

mewse
May 2, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

You're going to get muscle memory for whatever gear you use, so IMO you may as well get it based around proper safety gear. My personal thinking is your helmet is the most important, but your hands and feet both have tons of small bones and will make your life a lot more difficult if they don't work, so I have hands and feet next in the safety list. I often wear a good jacket but just non-bike pants, which is not ideal and I'm looking to change that sooner rather than later. I started off with just high tops and to your point, when I first moved to boots I stalled the bike on a hill twice because I was using too much force on the rear brake when I took off from a stop. You adapt very quickly, and now on the rare occasions I'm wearing high tops or boat shoes I sometimes gently caress up the 1st to 2nd shift because I'm so used to doing it with boots on.

I also found that the more gear I wore, the more confident I felt on the bike, which is a huge part of riding. And then once I got used to wearing something like boots, going back to less protection definitely feels sketch.

Fortnine's video on beginner safety gear convinced me I should invest in some tall boots. It wasn't until I watched that video that I realized how easy it would be to injure the legs/feet when the bike tips, there's a lot of stuff that can puncture the skin when that happens. My cousin went down on his enduro and said his leg wouldn't stop bleeding and he had to get patched up at the hospital.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I burned the gently caress out of my calf just above the top of my relatively short pull on boots on my first motorcycle. So there's another reason to wear tall enough boots.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Tall boots are cool and that's all the reason anyone should need :colbert:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

sometimes you have to dress for the lifestyle you want, not the one you have

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Deeters posted:

I have the Rev'It Levante, which is basically the ADV version of the Tornado.

:dadjoke:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ahh the ktm of planes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Surely the harrier is the ktm of planes, as it requires the wings to be taken completely off in order to replace the engine.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
When I was a purely recreational weekend rider, I'd always be seriously AGATT, but since I ride all the time now I'm much less so while understanding the trade off I'm making. Rather than wearing my most protective race boots, I'll usually be wearing whatever footwear I need at the place I'm going. If it's to the gym, I'm in sneakers. To work, it can be dress shoes or motorcycle boots that mimic dress shoes like the TCX Metropolitan. If it's a recreational ride or seriously inclement weather or I'll be doing a lot of highway miles, I'll be more conservative in how I dress but for short utility rides convenience wins out for me. The only motorcycle specific musts for me are helmet, gloves and jacket.

My footwear choices are in order of protection:
Motorcycle specific
Sidi Vertigo, ZCustom, TCX Jupiter, TCX Metropolitan

Non-motorcycle specific
Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers, Asolo Fugitive, Allen Edmunds, Sneakers

That said for new riders, I'd always recommend more protection. Not because an experienced rider can't destroy their foot/ankle but because it's more informed consent for the experienced rider.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 22, 2020

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
motorcycle jeans have come a long way in the ten years since "deth killers" were the only alternative to baggy harley garbage

my dainese jeans are legitimately the best-looking pair of jeans I own

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Surely the harrier is the ktm of planes, as it requires the wings to be taken completely off in order to replace the engine.

I think the harrier is ineffably british in that very particular 'man in a shed stubbornly develops a flawed, incredibly complex solution to a problem nobody has' kind of way, if it were a bike it would be something with swingarms at both ends, of which I'm certain there are more examples in the UK than the rest of the planet combined. Just as you can show me a pile of Honda parts and I can tell they're Japanese straight away, British engineering also has a certain flavour, a sort of endearing naive stupidity combined with occasional flashes of thoughtful genius.

The tornado is, by contrast, a very straightforward teutonic engineering nightmare. It's more complicated and expensive than a normal thing but it works just the same.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Slavvy posted:

I think the harrier is ineffably british in that very particular 'man in a shed stubbornly develops a flawed, incredibly complex solution to a problem nobody has' kind of way, if it were a bike it would be something with swingarms at both ends, of which I'm certain there are more examples in the UK than the rest of the planet combined. Just as you can show me a pile of Honda parts and I can tell they're Japanese straight away, British engineering also has a certain flavour, a sort of endearing naive stupidity combined with occasional flashes of thoughtful genius.

The tornado is, by contrast, a very straightforward teutonic engineering nightmare. It's more complicated and expensive than a normal thing but it works just the same.

hol' up

"swing arm at both ends" is on GERMAN motorcycles

and panavia's english 7/16 comes through in the ADV's Foxhunter Radar-by-Lucas

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The telelever is a bastard compromise as it tries to hide its swingarminess.

The other BMW thing, duolever, is something a British engineer also designed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Hey you know this thing that has been around for like a century and works great and has no real glaring issues?”

“Yeah”

“What if we, and hear me out here, what if we completely scrapped it and replaced it with something worse”

Overheard in both BMW and Buell corporate offices.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's not entirely true: BMW's front end is an excellent solution if you view the rider as a problem needing to be solved, as all engineers do. BMW let the engineers have far too much say in proceedings and here we are. There's a reason terrible, slow riders gravitate toward those bikes - they are flattering and reassuring as gently caress if you have no feel or any idea what you're doing.

Buel was a company where the guy in charge was also the head engineer and here we are.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

“Hey you know this thing that has been around for like a century and works great and has no real glaring issues?”

“Yeah”

“What if we, and hear me out here, what if we completely scrapped it and replaced it with something worse”

Overheard in both BMW and Buell corporate offices.
You mean Bimota.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I mean, Bimota's shenanigans seem cheeky and fun and BMW's just seem cruel and tragic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

That's not entirely true: BMW's front end is an excellent solution if you view the rider as a problem needing to be solved, as all engineers do. BMW let the engineers have far too much say in proceedings and here we are. There's a reason terrible, slow riders gravitate toward those bikes - they are flattering and reassuring as gently caress if you have no feel or any idea what you're doing.

what I'm hearing is I need to buy a BMW

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Greg12 posted:

and panavia's english 7/16 comes through in the ADV's Foxhunter Radar-by-Lucas

I still giggle when I remember the Blue Circle radar.

(Explanation for people who aren't a very special kind of nerd, because explaining jokes always makes them funnier - British secret projects in the 40s and 50s were assigned code names that were a random combination of a colour and a word, to avoid the chances of the other side being able to work out details of the system by too-clever code names, like the British did with the Nazi Wotan navigation system. So nuclear weapons had names like Blue Danube and Green Bamboo which give no particular clue what they are. They also used cooler, more descriptive names in that format for the public names of these projects, like Blue Streak for a missile and Black Knight for the first (and only) British space launch vehicle.

Anyhoo, the Foxhunter radar was - of course - massively delayed for the Tornado ADV. To allow them to at least complete flight testing they fitted concrete ballast of the same weight as the radar in the nose, which they called "Blue Circle" after the largest maker of concrete in the country. See, I told you explaining the joke would make it funnier!)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyhoo, the Foxhunter radar was - of course - massively delayed for the Tornado ADV. To allow them to at least complete flight testing they fitted concrete ballast of the same weight as the radar in the nose, which they called "Blue Circle" after the largest maker of concrete in the country. See, I told you explaining the joke would make it funnier!)
aha. I think my dad might have worked worked on Foxhunter based on the service years. Never mentioned Blue Circle. Gonna ask him “did you work on blue circle radar?” :haw:

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Horse Clocks posted:

aha. I think my dad might have worked worked on Foxhunter based on the service years. Never mentioned Blue Circle. Gonna ask him “did you work on blue circle radar?” :haw:

GET HIM TO POST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Tall boots are cool and that's all the reason anyone should need :colbert:

I appreciate all of the technical and safety related advice however this was the deciding factor. New A* SMX S boots came today and they felt great. No issues shifting and the protection feels much better than the high-top poo poo kickers I was wearing. Also they look loving bad rear end.