Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Suicide Squad’ is now the official term for any team of superheroes.

Any team as in more than one, or do you need at least three to count as a squad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"What is this? Some kind of Death-wish Duo?"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

The senior adviser for data and digital operations for Donald Trump's 2020 presidential campaign:
https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1258388669544759296

Which is not to say I disagree with your overall point.

:negative:

I mean, that Trumps admin have a "The empire did nothing wrong" viewpoint is probably the least surprising news to come out of the last 4 years

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

"What is this? Some kind of Death-wish Duo?"

"What is this, some sort of thanatos transfixion Trio?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

:negative:

I mean, that Trumps admin have a "The empire did nothing wrong" viewpoint is probably the least surprising news to come out of the last 4 years

I sometimes forget that not everyone on SA has been in the Trump thread for the last 4 years (and good on you for that). Yeah, that was a weird moment (but in the grand scheme of things, what, maybe registered as a 3/10?).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

"What is this, some sort of thanatos transfixion Trio?"

"Are we in a Kill-yourself Quartet right now?!?"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I sometimes forget that not everyone on SA has been in the Trump thread for the last 4 years (and good on you for that). Yeah, that was a weird moment (but in the grand scheme of things, what, maybe registered as a 3/10?).

I saw it on twitter and then promptly forgot about it because let's be honest, that's not even a blip on the radar, it's a mild gaffe at best with this administration. It was probably overshadowed by Rudy admitting to warcrimes to some kids in earshot of a full news crew or something

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Guy A. Person posted:

"Are we in a Kill-yourself Quartet right now?!?"

"What is this, some sort of Quarrelsome Quintet?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Trump campaign being a Death Star—in that it's defeated by people who will immediately recreate the conditions for its emergence—is the classic political gaffe in that it's someone accidentally telling the truth.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Trump campaign being a Death Star—in that it's defeated by people who will immediately recreate the conditions for its emergence—is the classic political gaffe in that it's someone accidentally telling the truth.

How depressingly accurate

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

thrawn527 posted:

I remember so much about Suicide Squad. From the ridiculous character intros with all the text on screen and the expensive music playing over it, to whatever Jaret Leto was doing, to belly dancing magic, to the giant sky beam, to assembling a squad where you needed both a fire god and a girl with a bat, to the squad's first mission being to rescue to organizer of the squad from a member of the squad itself who went evil, to Margot Robbie's rear end being all over the camera, to a comical amount of helicopter crashes that seemed to kill no one, to "Oh look it's Slipknot, oh hey bye Slipknot", to Katana having the clumsiest character intro in the history of cinema...and so much more.

I remember it all.

Then, friend, you have my pity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW6VbBqpud0

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

This was in reference to the idea of a Harley/Joker sex scene:
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1302792916641873920

He’s obviously being sarcastic?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Suicide Solo Queue sounds like a particularly miserable experience.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

McCloud posted:

Bruce wayne isn't a techbro, he's old money. If anything he's a real estate daddy

That's true

FilthyImp posted:

Uhhhhh... yeah y'all have a blind spot here because you're falling over yourselves to do the BP Bad meme and it... well it sure is something to see.

:magemage: indeed

I think only 1 poster has said BP was bad? I think it's decent personally, quite enjoyable in spite of its flaws, many of which it shares with SS. I just like SS more and will always defend it from falsehoods/lies!

Edit: I'm talking about birds of prey not black panther, oopsie

Sir Kodiak posted:

:drat:

Violator posted:

He’s obviously being sarcastic?

Maybe, Dave's certainly been known for that, but who can tell with tweets

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 23, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s weird to see “the cia really murdered and framed real life Black Panther Party members and I have issues with their sympathetic depiction in a mainstream movie about a superhero named Black Panther” be described as a meme.

lol just kidding, no it’s not, capitalism apologizes for all as long as it makes money and placates the masses.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 23, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Oooh BP not BoP, my bad

Yeah there's going to be quite a few people saying that one is bad, memes or not. I only caught the end of it on tv, looked bad lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ruddiger posted:

It’s weird to see “the cia really murdered and framed real life Black Panther Party members and I have issues with their sympathetic depiction in a mainstream movie about a superhero named Black Panther” be described as a meme.

lol just kidding, no it’s not, capitalism apologizes for all as long as it makes money and placates the masses.

Still reeling that about 15 years ago Capitalism was like "we're going to destroy the planet and turn you all into fat dumb babies" and nobody cared.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KVeezy3 posted:

"What is this, some sort of Quarrelsome Quintet?

"No, this is a Self-murder sextet."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Still reeling that about 15 years ago Capitalism was like "we're going to destroy the planet and turn you all into fat dumb babies" and nobody cared.

They even made a movie about it! It was called WALL-E and it was very popular!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Holy poo poo the youtube comments from basically any U-571 clip is the most insane game of "Nazi symapthizer or history nerd obsessed with submarines."

"German sub commanders would never be that stupid."

"The Germans in WW2 were far more intelligent than this stupid movie. This is an insult to the soldiers."

People who know literally anything about submarines appear to be the worst people in the world.

I can’t believe I missed U-571 talk.

One of my earliest Internet forums was subsim.com, due to my enjoyment of Silent Hunter III. That forum had some good posters, but a lot of them were extremely boomer and extremely nerdy in terms of submarines and naval stuff. Not surprisingly, I suppose...

There were generally two things that was to be understood if you wanted to survive in those forums:

1: Das Boot is holy scripture and
2: U-571 was akin to a war crime.

I can’t recall any movie I’ve seen that has received such rabid, furious hate as U-571. People would go absolutely livid at the mere mention of it. It was akin to burning a holy book; it was essentially a bannable offense to defend it.

All that to say, I remember liking it! It was exciting enough and had some fun performances.

But tbf to the YouTube comments: absolutely every movie clip that involves wwii Germans have been scrutinized by wehraboos more than the FBI combed through the Zapruder film.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Some of the U-571 hate i could get, not the German dick sucking stuff, but the fact it revised history to having Americans being the big heroes. Britain was passed since their soldiers had captured a few enigma devices months before America even joined the war. The PM called on Clinton to apologize on America's behalf.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The PM called on Clinton to apologize on America's behalf.

Lmbo that rules

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

U571 rules.It has bill paxton in it being a leader and stuff.Torpedos scraping the side of a submarine and Jon Bon Jovi eats a flying hatch to the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K40Gt3dk1LY
40 seconds in

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just a reminder, Wonder Woman 1984 will go live on HBO Max at 12PM eastern time.

[edit] On Christmas day.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 24, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Some of the U-571 hate i could get, not the German dick sucking stuff, but the fact it revised history to having Americans being the big heroes. Britain was passed since their soldiers had captured a few enigma devices months before America even joined the war. The PM called on Clinton to apologize on America's behalf.

Not to mention that some clever polish codebreaker had cracked enigma before the war even started. And U-571 was a real sub that was sunk by an Australian pilot.

Like, telling your fake ww2 naval battle story is one thing, but misrepresenting a bunch of real events and people to do it was the step too far, and i get that objection.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Not to mention that some clever polish codebreaker had cracked enigma before the war even started. And U-571 was a real sub that was sunk by an Australian pilot.

Like, telling your fake ww2 naval battle story is one thing, but misrepresenting a bunch of real events and people to do it was the step too far, and i get that objection.

U-571 takes place in the same universe as Inglorious Basterds?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
All ww2 movies that are are exaggerated, even slightly, share the same universe.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jojo Rabbit, Inglourious Basterds, Overlord, Hellboy, X-Men: First Class cinematic universe confirmed.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Didn't Superman work with the military in MoS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shageletic posted:

He surrendered to them to be handed to Zod, was attacked by them in Smallville, and won Harding's trust in the same encounter. He delegated the phantom drive run to them while he went after the world engine. Afterwards he destroys their drone and tells Swannick in no uncertain terms he doesn't and won't work for them but he will protect everyone. He then moves to metropolis where he opens a STEM school for orphaned kryptonians.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Sorry but what exactly does this have to do with anything except to steer the discussion into “Marvel vs DC” territory? Like why not ask about Fantastic Four or Independence Day or something?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Human Torch had a thing for that pretty United State’s soldier in the second movie. Problematic to say the least.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry but what exactly does this have to do with anything except to steer the discussion into “Marvel vs DC” territory? Like why not ask about Fantastic Four or Independence Day or something?

Just that comic book movies as a whole have a status quo, supporting proper authority vibe thing happening

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He literally trashes a government spy satellite, but yeah, Superman is totally a puppet of the state. :rolleyes:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1340724780421550083

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

Just that comic book movies as a whole have a status quo, supporting proper authority vibe thing happening

The status quo that MoS sets up is that Superman wont work for the military and will work against them if necessary, which is directly re-emphasized in the beginning of BvS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

He literally trashes a government spy satellite, but yeah, Superman is totally a puppet of the state. :rolleyes:

The ad campaign was called Soldier of Steel right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some people don't realize that Captain America was about weaponizing US Citizens into machines of war so I think maybe the MCU is a little sus with regards to giving the military a reacharound