Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cornell has some non-standard beliefs on the relationship between Rome and the Etruscans during the monarchy. Not that he's a crank or anything, just a historian who doesn't follow the consensus. I second the recommendation, it's a good book, but go into it knowing that whenever Cornell spends three pages vigorously defending an assertion, it's because most of his colleagues disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://youtu.be/mvURMFzcIqc

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Megasabin posted:

If we think about things broadly enough, I guess we can say that the Western Asian farming are the progenitors of many of the major ancient prehistory civilizations. By virtue of the migration of Western Asian farmers being responsible for the development of agriculture in Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and India, we can for example say they lead to the Indus River Valley culture.

I thought that this result (agriculture in the Indian subcontinent coming from the Middle Eastern hearth) was not 100% confirmed?

fake edit: just copying from Wiki, seems to say 99 yes%:

quote:

According to Gangal et al. (2014), there is strong archeological and geographical evidence that neolithic farming spread from the Near East into north-west India.[15][16][note 1] Yet, Jean-Francois Jarrige argues for an independent origin of Mehrgarh. Jarrige notes the similarities between Neolithic sites from eastern Mesopotamia and the western Indus valley, which are evidence of a "cultural continuum" between those sites. Nevertheless, Jarrige concludes that Mehrgarh has an earlier local background," and is not a "'backwater' of the Neolithic culture of the Near East."[31] Singh et al. (2016) investigated the distribution of J2a-M410 and J2b-M102 in South Asia, which "suggested a complex scenario that cannot be explained by a single wave of agricultural expansion from Near East to South Asia,"[16] but also note that "regardless of the complexity of dispersal, NW region appears to be the corridor for entry of these haplogroups into India."[16]

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zopotantor posted:

No problem, just learn the language.

I'll be taking lessons in my easily pronounceable adopted hometown of Mtskheta.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is anyone here familiar with Michael Kulikowski?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kulikowski

He seems to have some strong opinions and I wanted to know if he's worth reading. He seems to actually be a proper history professor but that is the extent of the vetting my lack of ancient history knowledge lets me do. Is he a guy with interesting new points of view or a bit cranky?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kulikowski is ok. Guy Halsall is from the same school of thought and a better writer. Ideally you could also read guys like Peter Heather who both of them are often arguing against. None of these guys (imo) are selling crazy new ideas, it’s more like the modern generation of a split dating back to mid-century (and in some ways even earlier than that and 19th century) about the proper way to interpret the collapse of the Roman west and the rise of Germanic (or according to one side, “Germanic”) kingdoms in its place.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it is absolutely true that one's identity as a "Goth", specifically, was quite flexible. a lot of dispossessed and generally pissed off romans joined up with the goths when they rebelled against roman rule after they were mercilessly exploited as refugees, and this trend continued as they wandered the empire. the army that alaric led to sack rome was in no small part made up of ex-romans

i am curious to know how he justifies the idea that there is no actual germanic identity tho

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Thanks guys, that gives me a context to put him in!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

it is absolutely true that one's identity as a "Goth", specifically, was quite flexible.

Nuh uh!

quote:

How do I become Goth?
I hate to break it to you, but Goth is not something you can just learn. Gothic people grew up that way. Most people do not have the genuine sense of wonder, creativity, talent, open-mindedness, and appreciation of the duality of existence, nor of themselves and their abilities that makes a person genuinely Goth. While some of these things can be learned over the course of years, most of it can only be emulated. To emulate something strongly implies that the action is neither original nor genuine. That is just not Goth.

How do I know if I’m Goth?
This is a VASTLY more reasonable question. It’s sort of odd and sad at the same time that a lot of actual Goths don’t know that they are. This is unfortunately the work of massive media stereotyping and misinformation from ignorant but rather noisy wannabes. It seems that the bulk of available information on Goth comes from those two sources. Never mind that.

If most (10 or more) of the following statements are true, it is VERY likely that you are Goth. If the first statement is false, you aren’t Goth. No, not even if all 16 of the rest are true. Of course, you would be readily accepted and most welcome amongst Goths for your strength of individuality and ability to appreciate the culture in general and themselves in particular.

*You feel the need to spend a lot of time creating things (music, art, poetry, philosophies, stories and the like)
*Your creative efforts are often described as dark, shocking, scary, morbid or strange
*You like museums and cultural centers
*You understand and even enjoy Shakespeare, Shelley, Browning or some other similar work without having to read the Cliffe Notes
*You know the difference between nihilism and existentialism, even if you don’t really live by either
*You really, truly enjoy music of many kinds
*You are a very sensual person (aware of color, texture, sound, taste and scent)
*You don’t understand why the people around you spend so much time watching TV
*You don’t feel comfortable looking just like everyone else you know
*You do feel comfortable just being yourself, even if no one else around is anything like you
*You wonder “why” a lot, and come up with some interesting answers
*You wonder “how” a lot, and often figure it out on your own
*You don’t just reject something because you don’t understand it
*You base your opinions of people on who they are and what they do rather than what they look like
*You are not afraid of the unknown
*You are not afraid of the dark
*You are afraid of mediocrity

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCSP1THD9cA

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jazerus posted:

it is absolutely true that one's identity as a "Goth", specifically, was quite flexible. a lot of dispossessed and generally pissed off romans joined up with the goths when they rebelled against roman rule after they were mercilessly exploited as refugees, and this trend continued as they wandered the empire. the army that alaric led to sack rome was in no small part made up of ex-romans

i am curious to know how he justifies the idea that there is no actual germanic identity tho

Yeah, it's one thing to say that Gothic identity was flexible, but the Wikipedia article makes him sound like a Germanophobic crank.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The core of Walter Goffart’s ideas that you see in guys like Kulikowski is that “German” can mean very different things depending on who’s talking when. Late antique Greco-Roman writers don’t have the same associations with “German” as early twentieth-century German writers. This is true as far as it goes, but can be extrapolated to defend some fairly ridiculous positions.

Goffart does have what I would call a Germanophobic streak and, like a couple of his followers, isn’t above arguing that his opponents are crypto-Nazis or at least unwittingly peddling Nazi ideas. This always struck me as fairly over the top but I guess controversy sells books.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought that this result (agriculture in the Indian subcontinent coming from the Middle Eastern hearth) was not 100% confirmed?

fake edit: just copying from Wiki, seems to say 99 yes%:

wild wheat has never been found in South Asia, suggesting that either wheat was first domesticated in the Near-East from well-known domestic wild species and then brought to South Asia, or that wild wheat existed in the past in South Asia but somehow became extinct without leaving a trace

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Goth is a member of the Goths, a group of East Germanic tribes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Otherwise it's just a sparkling barbarian.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Does anyone have any good parahistorical interpretations of the Sea People? Ideally from the long 19th Century? This might be better asked in a different thread but I figure people steeped in real history have some familiarity with fake history too. Think "Old Time-y Alex Jones but with Peerage" or "Gravilo Princip's big thing before he shifted hard into nationalism".

I want your biggest bestest pope-a-gators.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t even know if they knew about the Bronze Age collapse in the 1800s

Also https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07fl5bh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The work on all the Sea Peoples inscriptions was Egyptologist stuff from the mid-late 19th century. The idea of a general “Bronze Age collapse” is more of a recent thing

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well what have we got here...

quote:

ROME (Reuters) - Archaeologists in Pompeii, the city buried in a volcanic eruption in 79 AD, have made the extraordinary find of a frescoed hot food and drinks shop that served up the ancient equivalent of street food to Roman passersby.

Known as a termopolium, Latin for hot drinks counter, the shop was discovered in the archaeological park's Regio V site, which is not yet open the public, and unveiled on Saturday.

Traces of nearly 2,000-year-old food were found in some of the deep terra cotta jars containing hot food which the shop keeper lowered into a counter with circular holes.

The front of the counter was decorated with brightly coloured frescoes, some depicting animals that were part of the ingredients in the food sold, such as a chicken and two ducks hanging upside down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The colors are amazing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

aphid_licker posted:

The colors are amazing

The absolute worst thing about Pompeii is how early it was excavated. Reports from the time are most of the city looked like that when originally dug out, but most of it has since melted in the rain.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The absolute worst thing about Pompeii is how early it was excavated. Reports from the time are most of the city looked like that when originally dug out, but most of it has since melted in the rain.

How would that have worked during Roman times? Ah, wait, you mean like colors that were applied in what used to be interior rooms and were then excavated with their roofs missing? That's sad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's ok. We'll find another Pompeii and be more careful.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grand Fromage posted:

Rule Number 0 of archaeology: Do you really need to excavate that now?

It strikes again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Science is built upon the mistakes of their predecessors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

aphid_licker posted:

How would that have worked during Roman times? Ah, wait, you mean like colors that were applied in what used to be interior rooms and were then excavated with their roofs missing? That's sad.

The exterior walls were also stuccoed and painted (not usually so elaborately as the interiors), some of those sections were covered and are still visible. The way it would've worked during Roman times was regular maintenance. If you left your exterior wall exposed to the elements for 200 years without any touching up, it'd fall apart back then too.

And yeah, most of the roofs are gone so the interiors are also exposed to the elements unless you cover them up again. A lot of the nicest villas have been re-reroofed and the paintings inside are in excellent shape, but many others were just left to rot.

Telsa Cola posted:

Rule Number 0 of archaeology: Do you really need to excavate that now?

It strikes again.

Fortunately about 25% of the city is still buried. I would dearly love to see it but it's an enormous site, protecting it is expensive.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grand Fromage posted:

The exterior walls were also stuccoed and painted (not usually so elaborately as the interiors), some of those sections were covered and are still visible. The way it would've worked during Roman times was regular maintenance. If you left your exterior wall exposed to the elements for 200 years without any touching up, it'd fall apart back then too.

And yeah, most of the roofs are gone so the interiors are also exposed to the elements unless you cover them up again. A lot of the nicest villas have been re-reroofed and the paintings inside are in excellent shape, but many others were just left to rot.

Fortunately about 25% of the city is still buried. I would dearly love to see it but it's an enormous site, protecting it is expensive.

Yeah when I worked in Belize part of the requirement of getting a permit is that the project foots the bill for preservation and restoration costs. Ends up working well for the country because they don't have to pay that and a large chunk of their economy is tourism based (which is a double edged sword).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also doesn't help that it's in southern Italy, so not only is it a huge, expensive project, but the area is relatively poor and corruption/organized crime are major problems.

Italy is in a tough spot since like Greece, basically the entire country is an archaeological site so protecting it all is impractical.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Also doesn't help that it's in southern Italy, so not only is it a huge, expensive project, but the area is relatively poor and corruption/organized crime are major problems.

Italy is in a tough spot since like Greece, basically the entire country is an archaeological site so protecting it all is impractical.

Yeah curation costs/space issues for recovered artifacts alone can be extremely crippling in situations like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Construction's a nightmare. Rome's subway lines take forever because practically every inch of it is a rescue archaeology project.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah when I worked in Belize part of the requirement of getting a permit is that the project foots the bill for preservation and restoration costs. Ends up working well for the country because they don't have to pay that and a large chunk of their economy is tourism based (which is a double edged sword).

I once had Belize recommended to me because you're allowed to climb all over all the archeological sites, which is not the case next door in Mexico. It sounded cool, but like feeding the wildlife, just not something I'm really comfortable with.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You can go anywhere you want in Angkor. It's quite the experience, though I did yell at a few tourists being complete douchebags hanging off statues and poo poo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I once had Belize recommended to me because you're allowed to climb all over all the archeological sites, which is not the case next door in Mexico. It sounded cool, but like feeding the wildlife, just not something I'm really comfortable with.

You can climb over some of the sites. Much of the architecture has been reconsolidated and isn't "original", but you do get tremendous wear and tear. Things do get roped off as needed but yeah they do let you walk all over temples and such.

Some guides will rip into you if they think/see you are being a poo poo.

There is dynamic between tourism and the archaeological work and preservation that can be pretty combative sometimes.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 26, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

The colors are amazing

yes quite nice

A+

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah duh, gotcha. Thanks!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

euphronius posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the claim the goths descended from the geats?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Since you guys are talking about Pompei, i'm just going to leave this here. A great 4k video of pompei for those who probably won't be able to go in their lifetimes. Other than the first 2 min where the guy explains the video, it's a silent video. No music, no comments just a nice long walk in the ruins in 4k. The video is 5h long but there are timestamps.

Not mine, just one of many such videos this guy made about historical places. I legit sat through all 5 hours of it and it made me want to go so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYJ8LbF1Ys&t=1s

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Out of curiosity, why do we never hear about Herculaneum compared to Peompei?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's a lot smaller and it's down in a pit. It's a better preserved site but Pompeii is more spectacular. It's not just modern views either, Pompeii was a major-ish city and Herculaneum was a little resort town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006