Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

Getting slightly thawed long enough to see a murder/baby-napping of some neighbor of yours in a cryo pod without any further context, then coming to a vague amount of time later knowing you witnessed some crime, and maybe being tempted to find out what the heck that was all about sounds like a way more intriguing hook than "THEY TOOK MY BABEYYY" too.

Hell, during the baby napping scene, one of the gang members specific refers to you as the backup or spare or something like that, which probably would have been enough motivation even if they kidnapped the Vault Salesman or some random stranger instead of your son.

"Hey there was a violent gang that shot my neighbor and kept me in a Freshlock seal like leftovers. Should I be worried about them coming back?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Skyrim main quest was so poo poo that it took me 7 years to beat.

Worse than Bethesda's writing is now their attempts to replace crafted content with pre-generated stuff. Fallout 4 felt very slight with only two real settlements and a quest-log consisting of "Talk to X" and "Fetch Y". All the content beyond that was radiant-fluff designed to artificially extend the playtime with very little effort.

It's amazing how they seem to be making worse games with more money behind them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Argas posted:

It's amazing how they seem to be making worse games with more money behind them.

Its because they know their fans will fix the games for them with mods, so they feel safe in half-assing everything while inflating the budget.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I wonder how long it's going to take for people to be able to discuss Cyberpunks narrative, as opposed to the technical issues and CDPRs business and labour practices, and maybe contrast it to Fallout. CP not only locks content on the regular, it masks a lot of the branching. I started over a short way into chapter 2 as I felt I messed up the build and missed a legendary weapon. One outcome changed and I have no idea why, and I think I was locked out of a side quest chain over a minor decision.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Skyrim main quest was so poo poo that it took me 7 years to beat.

It took me a while to complete the main quest because side quests/shouting people off cliffs were more interesting. By the time I came to complete the main quest it was very much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4P2N5fyqbo

bessantj fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 22, 2020

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I wonder how long it's going to take for people to be able to discuss Cyberpunks narrative, as opposed to the technical issues and CDPRs business and labour practices, and maybe contrast it to Fallout. CP not only locks content on the regular, it masks a lot of the branching. I started over a short way into chapter 2 as I felt I messed up the build and missed a legendary weapon. One outcome changed and I have no idea why, and I think I was locked out of a side quest chain over a minor decision.

probably a while since the narrative is basically not worth talking about compared to heinous (but expected) business practices and you cant make funny videos of the bad writing like you can the many bugs.

i was talking with some internet friends while i was finishing the game and said that if you fixed all the bugs you would have a below average at best fps with a whole lot of meaningless systems sewed onto it by people chasing whatever the latest trend was a half decade ago. empty open world? check. looter shooter? check. crafting and upgrade system that is immediately outclassed by random garbage you find lying around? check.

but yeah get used to that, the most the game has with branching questlines besides the ending decision is where you get the option to just not do the final part of certain characters sidequests by choosing a really obvious option that upsets them and there are maybe 4 of them in the entire game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The story stuff that I have done so far is really good, and the voice acting is fantastic.

You CAN'T romance just any of the romance options though, each gender has one gay and one straight option and that means Panam is straight male only and that's hosed up cause why would I ever play as male V :colbert:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm enjoying the game a lot, it looks nice and the aesthetics of the game are very much my thing. Main story wise I haven't seen any major branching quests stuff that lasts for more than 1-2 missions, though the various gigs you do (bite size side missions) can affect the story missions in small ways. It felt pretty neat when I could reference what I did to a dude in a gig to someone in a main mission and have him actually respond to it. There's definitely a feeling of cohesion that I don't really feel often in open world games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What ground does Cyberpunk cover that hasn't been done by two Blade Runners, three Deus Ex's, and three Shadowruns? I'm not counting Invisible War because gently caress that.

How I'd rank Witcher 3's major story beats.

Great:
The Bloody Baron
Gaunter O'Dimm
Keira Metz

Okay:
Blood and Wine
Skellige Succession

Lame:
The Wild Hunt themselves
Dijkstra swallows idiot pills
Spending hours looking for loving Dandelion

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 22, 2020

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I was lucky enough not to encounter any bugs or performance issues (aside from occasional minor stuff like one background NPC clipping through another) so I got to experience the game more or less as it was intended and overall I love it. The look and feel of the city was brilliant, the story kept me engaged and the combat felt like a better version of Fallout’s, which I already liked.

The one big gripe I have about it is the constant revolving door of weapon and armor upgrades. Witcher 3 had the same issue, but at least there you could go on quests for special equipment sets that would last a reasonably long time. Not so in this game. You can barely get used to a gun by the time it becomes obsolete, and upgrading hardly improves it at all.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 22, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bakeneko posted:

I was lucky enough not to encounter any bugs or performance issues (aside from occasional minor stuff like one background NPC clipping through another) so I got to experience the game more or less as it was intended and overall I love it. The look and feel of the city was brilliant, the story kept me engaged and the combat felt like a better version of Fallout’s, which I already liked.

The one big gripe I have about it is the constant revolving door of weapon and armor upgrades. Witcher 3 had the same issue, but at least there you could go on quests for special equipment sets that would last a reasonably long time. Not so in this game. You can barely get used to a gun by the time it becomes obsolete, and upgrading hardly improves it at all.

I think if you look to a guide you can get a scaling legendary of any weapon type you wish quite easily. But otherwise yes you need to examine every gun you get for slight benefits.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Argas posted:

This could apply to the entire industry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1341459450591404041?s=20

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Can't get better than

imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Can't get better than

imo

*chuckles* you mean the chaos emeralds?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

For all the poo poo people give Fallout 3. It boosted that franchise into heights no one could have dreamed of. And Fallout 3 was mindblowingly novel when it came out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hungry posted:

This could apply to the entire industry.

I've really soured on the entire idea of AAA games to be honest.

Katt posted:

For all the poo poo people give Fallout 3. It boosted that franchise into heights no one could have dreamed of. And Fallout 3 was mindblowingly novel when it came out.

Fallout 3 is a bad Fallout game, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game period. It handled the 3D transition rather well - your standard Bethesda bugs aside - and it succeeded in fulfilling Bethesda's core ethos of giving the player a big sandbox with tons of stuff to explore, which the player can do so at their leisure with minimal gatekeeping. There's lots of guns to shoot, enemies to fight, weird characters to bump into, and cool locations to explore. That kind of design has really broad appeal as was later proven when they pretty much copy pasted it for Skyrim. No, there's not much depth to anything, and if you're looking for an immersive roleplaying experience or meaningful additions to the Fallout world and lore, you're up poo poo creek. But if you just want to shoot poo poo and explore around bombed out DC, then it works very well.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Katt posted:

No no no, you're not allowed to acknowledge anything positive about Fallout 3. It only exists to be held up against god's most perfect games Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

But yeah, without Bethesda there might have been a Kickstarter isometric Fallout 3 made at some point that ten thousand whole people might have played.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Katt posted:

I agree with the first, but on the second the novelty was simply that someone had bought a franchise and revived it as a completely different genre rather than simply sitting on the IP collecting royalties.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Fallout 3 and New Vegas including only like five songs total ended up becoming kind of a brilliant choice because now I know every one of them by heart and they are extremely evocative of the games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Katt posted:

Not really, I would say Oblivion was much more novel than Fallout 3.

8one6 posted:

No no no, you're not allowed to acknowledge anything positive about Fallout 3. It only exists to be held up against god's most perfect games Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

But yeah, without Bethesda there might have been a Kickstarter isometric Fallout 3 made at some point that ten thousand whole people might have played.

I guess dude

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

Fallout 3 is a bad Fallout game, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game period. It handled the 3D transition rather well - your standard Bethesda bugs aside - and it succeeded in fulfilling Bethesda's core ethos of giving the player a big sandbox with tons of stuff to explore, which the player can do so at their leisure with minimal gatekeeping. There's lots of guns to shoot, enemies to fight, weird characters to bump into, and cool locations to explore. That kind of design has really broad appeal as was later proven when they pretty much copy pasted it for Skyrim. No, there's not much depth to anything, and if you're looking for an immersive roleplaying experience or meaningful additions to the Fallout world and lore, you're up poo poo creek. But if you just want to shoot poo poo and explore around bombed out DC, then it works very well.

Fallout 3 has one of my favorite moments in gaming period, that first look outside 101 on the Capital Wasteland and I think it coasts off that the entire game. I still kind of like it, though? Like I don't think it's as garbo as the hairy bomber man says but not as pristine as Many a True Nerd says either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

8one6 posted:

You don't gotta blow up Wasteland 2's spot like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casey Finnigan posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas including only like five songs total ended up becoming kind of a brilliant choice because now I know every one of them by heart and they are extremely evocative of the games.

Play it again, Johnny Guitar.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dawgstar posted:

Fallout 3 has one of my favorite moments in gaming period, that first look outside 101 on the Capital Wasteland and I think it coasts off that the entire game. I still kind of like it, though? Like I don't think it's as garbo as the hairy bomber man says but not as pristine as Many a True Nerd says either.

I mean, the point isn't F3 BAAAAAAD, it's that F3 kind of completely does a very non-Fallout style of game with the way it was largely unstructured to let you go anywhere and engage with whatever content was there. It's not necessarily bad design because it does allow for a certain kind of gameplay, but it's less design than the sort of design that went into the original two Fallout RPGs and New Vegas. There's always tradeoffs with any approach and one of these two designs is just considered more Fallout's signature style (although that's a bit less clear now with how big F3 and F4 are).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sydin posted:

It's interesting that they've tried twice now to give their Fallout protagonists a really explicit backstory and motivation, meanwhile all the Elder Scrolls games still follow the "random mysterious prisoner with a fill in the blank backstory" which works just fine? Yeah in Morrowind you are always the Nerevarine (or maybe you're not, it's complicated) and in Skyrim you're always Dragonborn, but everything else is entirely up to you. When the Imperials kick you off a boat into a swampy backwater town in a backwater province with 30 gold, the clothes on your back, and orders to go talk to some guy somewhere, you don't also need the knowledge that you're chasing down a relative or whatever to compel you as a player to go out and explore this strange new world and get stronger.

If you cut out all the prologue poo poo from Fallout 4 and it just opened with you being mysteriously de-thawed from cryo, had a little tutorial area in the vault where you find some audiologs or books that set up some mystery around why you were unfrozen, and then kicked you out into the wasteland to explore, I doubt the average player is any less compelled to do so than they otherwise would be with the stolen baby plot.

It's fun because like, with the Nerevarine and Dragonborn stuff, that's largely titles and positions other people foist on you and you have the option (less so in skyrim) to stand up and go "Yeah, that's me, eat poo poo" or decide "Nah I'm not that guy, I just want to get out of this mushroomy hell hole". Fallout 4 could have been completely saved in simple ways too, even if they wanted to maintain the like, biological ties to the antagonist. Why not just make him a clone of you (or a synth replica) and make that the reason why you woke up early, they didn't reset your pod properly. Then instead of it always being about your baby boy you could have the entirely optional quest lines of people accusing you of being this villainous doctor - which would let you either say yes, you're totally this guy you don't know or deny it and get roped into the main quest of finding out what the hell happened and why some weirdos were replicating vault dwellers to begin with.

Macaluso posted:

The story stuff that I have done so far is really good, and the voice acting is fantastic.

You CAN'T romance just any of the romance options though, each gender has one gay and one straight option and that means Panam is straight male only and that's hosed up cause why would I ever play as male V :colbert:
I was actually really disappointed by this, too, especially since like; you can't chat up any of the NPCs either? Weirdly specific thing I guess. But even Skyrim has a tiny stat for whether or not NPCs like you (and with a single tweak of adding them to a specific faction you can recruit literally anyone who likes you as a follower) and there's at least a small handful of unique NPCs who you'd think would have any kind of unique interactions in regards to like, friendships if not relationships: but they really don't. Especially since, narratively, it kind of feels like Panam is the "canon" romance option, no matter which V you play as, which kind of makes it seem like they meant for everyone to play as Male V.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The player character in FO4 being a pre-war person is dumb. It's just all the other stuff is much dumber.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

The player character in FO4 being a pre-war person is dumb. It's just all the other stuff is much dumber.

This was the worst

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

fallout 3 definitely has stuff to enjoy in it but the "sure i'm immune to radiation but it's ~your destiny~ to go into this radioactive room and heroically die" bit might be the dumbest writing choice in any rpg

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I didn't mind 4's setup but then almost literally nothing was done with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dmboogie posted:

fallout 3 definitely has stuff to enjoy in it but the "sure i'm immune to radiation but it's ~your destiny~ to go into this radioactive room and heroically die" bit might be the dumbest writing choice in any rpg

I'm not really a fantasy guy (despite my name and being a slut for From Software) so it was cool having one of those open world first person games that was guns and sci-fi and poo poo but really looking back it's just "I'm glad this existed so New Vegas could be made".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is entirely supposition but from my time playing Skyrim and Fallout 4, I believe that many of these game design decisions stem from a complete unwillingness by Bethesda to lock players out of content. The reason why is simple—they know the statistics more than anyone, that the vast majority of players only play through the game once, and most won't even finish the main quest. So because of this, they likely began designing their games with the idea that any character build can go to any location, interact with any NPC, and complete every quest—and in doing so, they also drastically reduced the number of options that would make characters or choices feel unique.
I think FO4's world really suffered because they'd previously relied on individuals to go out and craft their own little corner of the map, give it a bottled story and everything else. Sometimes it was simple, sometimes it was complicated, but it added a bit of life to each area.

With FO4 they either ran out of time or were unable to script in anything like that so any craft was replaced by "everything attacks you, and maybe a note on a computer explains why". It's a lot harder to ignore the main story when you suck out all of the enjoyment from wandering the world.

Sydin posted:

It's interesting that they've tried twice now to give their Fallout protagonists a really explicit backstory and motivation, meanwhile all the Elder Scrolls games still follow the "random mysterious prisoner with a fill in the blank backstory" which works just fine? Yeah in Morrowind you are always the Nerevarine (or maybe you're not, it's complicated) and in Skyrim you're always Dragonborn, but everything else is entirely up to you. When the Imperials kick you off a boat into a swampy backwater town in a backwater province with 30 gold, the clothes on your back, and orders to go talk to some guy somewhere, you don't also need the knowledge that you're chasing down a relative or whatever to compel you as a player to go out and explore this strange new world and get stronger.

You'd figure sooner or later every time there's a big menace they just open all the prisons up because there's been a chosen one in there every other time this happened.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

dmboogie posted:

I seem to recall that the game started without even that and it was only added after people started asking “why can’t I send my radiation-proof friend into the radiation-filled chamber to do the thing that needs doing when I already did exactly that earlier in the main questline?” like they just didn’t think of it. Is that true, or am I misremembering?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 23, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ariong posted:

I seem to recall that the game started without even that and it was only added after people started asking “why can’t I send my radiation-proof friend into the radiation-filled chamber to do the thing that needs doing when I already did exactly that earlier in the main questline?” like they just didn’t think of it. Is that true, or am I misremembering?

i think you're correct, and also i think that in an update alongside a DLC they let you play and explore the wasteland in the post-game after the ending which included letting you send that companion in after all

it's been a long time since i played through the game though and i could also be misremembering a thing added in a mod i was running

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I kinda love the premise that you’re a PreWar US Army Vet that was discharged with a generous pension so that the government could put you in the cryogenics vault. It would set up your character’s starting skill set, and the perspective of someone who had seen the world before the bombs fell “yesterday” even though a century has passed a great idea! It’s a shame that they tied that hook to being a man, and threw in another Daddy Issues plot.

Like, they even bungled the settlement building hook. The intro to that should have been you helping build shelters for the other prewar citizens stumbling out of the vault and into the wasteland with you, or telling them to pound sand and leaving them to fend for themselves.

Edit: Fallout 3’s ending originally had your various radiation immune allies refusing to go in for nonsense reasons, including the infamous “no, this is your destiny” line from the Super Mutant ally who probably did this exact same thing to get the GECK for you five quests ago. They later patched in having him go in for you so you don’t die senselessly, but I think the narrator still calls you a coward.

The Ghoul companion would outright refuse like you were asking him to jump in acid, even though radiation is beneficial for ghouls AND in order to recruit him you have to have to get possession of his contract since he’s mentally conditioned to obey the orders of whoever is holding it. I can’t remember what the Mr. Gutsy robot says but I’m pretty sure it was a Drill Sergeant Type dressing down.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 23, 2020

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ariong posted:

It was definitely patched in that you could send the mutant into the room. I would guess because they wanted it to have a sacrificial ending, either yourself or one of your companions needs to go inside and get killed in the process.

'But what if we send in the guy who wouldn't die doing this.'
'No, that would be cowardice.'
'Can I send in the BoS companion to die instead'
'Sure you can. Coward.'

And in the process of checking, I found a note on the wiki that all companions are immune to radiation for gameplay reasons. So good work there, Bethesda

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also whether or not you send in lyons or fawkes or yourself there's a big boom and you wake up at the BoS base a few days later and you all live with the extended ending so....it never mattered!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
FO3 was my first Fallout and I put too many hours into it on release despite how it ran like poo poo on consoles, but I remember having fun but that original ending was definitely on some fierce "????????" energy. And they had the nerve to still be like "lol coward" if you get Fawkes to hit the button in the radiation room after Broken Steel.

And then I looked up a little bit of the first two Fallout games. And then I played New Vegas.

At that point I was like "wow, the poo poo that these three games is infinitely more interesting than what FO3 did!" Like, learning that Super Mutants were not just a bunch of giant green zombie hulks beating anything that vaguely moves was... an enlightening experience.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
that fallout 3 dlc where all you do is kill vr chinese people for an hour in what might as well be a rail shooter might be the worst dlc ive ever played in any game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So you never played Mothership Zeta?