Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

It was definitely patched in that you could send the mutant into the room. I would guess because they wanted it to have a sacrificial ending, either yourself or one of your companions needs to go inside and get killed in the process.

'But what if we send in the guy who wouldn't die doing this.'
'No, that would be cowardice.'
'Can I send in the BoS companion to die instead'
'Sure you can. Coward.'

And in the process of checking, I found a note on the wiki that all companions are immune to radiation for gameplay reasons. So good work there, Bethesda

I feel like it was really pure Bethesda writing too, since it would have been trivially easy to just write around it. Oh, your Super Mutant, well probably not a good idea to have him around a bunch of Brotherhood of Steel assholes in a firefight. Same with the Ghoul. Your robots, uh, they'll mess with Liberty Prime's sensors, so they gotta hang back. And there you go. But nah, gently caress it. They could have even just had your companions hang back to hold off some attack and then, oops, somebody's gotta sacrifice themselves.

A weird memory, since I now remember that DLC being a huge part of the argument over whether Mass Effect 3 should change the ending. Since Bethesday had to step in and waste some of their DLC patching the holes in their bad ending.

Edit: Man I forgot about Mothership Zeta. The DLC for FO3 was such a waste beside Point Lookout. I was writing game guides around FO3 at the time, and writing for the WWIII VR thing was so awkward. Just pages of, go here, shoot these guys, then go here I guess and shoot more guys. Now you got some armor. Cool.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Terrible Opinions posted:

So you never played Mothership Zeta?

im not even joking as soon as i posted that i thought "oh no mothership zeta" but at least i get to punch aliens which is the only nice thing i can say about it.

i have no idea why this video is age restricted but its related to aliens and fallout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8SAAKhGVw

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Edit: Man I forgot about Mothership Zeta. The DLC for FO3 was such a waste beside Point Lookout. I was writing game guides around FO3 at the time, and writing for the WWIII VR thing was so awkward. Just pages of, go here, shoot these guys, then go here I guess and shoot more guys. Now you got some armor. Cool.

I think The Pitt was at least trying.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Pitt was Bethesda actually trying to take a shot at creating a morally ambiguous choice for the player and it kinda... a little... well okay look it flubs it completely but at least they tried, and The Pitt itself was pretty cool with a lot of neat rewards for ingot hunting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It'd be cool if Bethesada could just do whatever process got us the Shivering Isles, Point Lookout, and Far Harbor and just make the base game that way instead of giving us one really good DLC to show that better games are possible. They just choose not to make them.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 23, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

everything about the writing in bethesda fallout games is so bizzare and inconsistent. it'd make more sense if they were universally poo poo but they always sneak in one or two areas and quests that are actually well made and thoughtful. something is just wrong with they write and design games at the highest levels.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can actually tie this discussion into the purpose of this thread and say I'm currently watching The Salt Factory's Fallout 4 evaluation video and he brings up a really good point that what is clear from the game's design is that Bethesda is terrified of letting the player fail, even intentionally. He goes through a part where you can tell the super secret Underground Railroad faction over and over that you think synths are subhuman tools, the Institute has the right idea, and their entire purpose as a faction is terrible, and they respond with "Oh well that's a shame but do let us know if you change your mind, you seem like a good person and we could use every man." Even more then the infinitely memed upon "yes/no (yes)/sarcastic (yes)/question (yes)" dialogue system, the NPC's just not reacting at all to what you actually say to them because you're the player and they only exist to provide you with quests at your leisure completely kills the roleplaying experience.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

everything about the writing in bethesda fallout games is so bizzare and inconsistent. it'd make more sense if they were universally poo poo but they always sneak in one or two areas and quests that are actually well made and thoughtful. something is just wrong with they write and design games at the highest levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

i've probably linked this before but it's a very illuminating look into the process that creates a game like Skyrim or Fallout 4 and its kind of incredible how the dude comes off without intending to at all

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i completely forgot about the quest where you end slavery at the lincoln memorial. i wish i was dead instead of remembering bad game

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dmboogie posted:

fallout 3 definitely has stuff to enjoy in it but the "sure i'm immune to radiation but it's ~your destiny~ to go into this radioactive room and heroically die" bit might be the dumbest writing choice in any rpg

I have to admit I came to that very late - I got the GOTY edition on PS3 (my first PS3 game, I think) - so that just was kind of 'yeah, I bet that did suck.' They could have even thrown some dialogue about it being genetically coded to you or something but nah. Flip the switch or make your BoS girlfriend do it you monster.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

fun hater posted:

that fallout 3 dlc where all you do is kill vr chinese people for an hour in what might as well be a rail shooter might be the worst dlc ive ever played in any game ever

you at least get some really cool weapons and a metal gear solid stealth camo from Operation Anchorage

Bethesda should have been paying players to play Mothership Zeta, holy gently caress

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Christmas Kyoto Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB11ccDVnwo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dmboogie posted:

fallout 3 definitely has stuff to enjoy in it but the "sure i'm immune to radiation but it's ~your destiny~ to go into this radioactive room and heroically die" bit might be the dumbest writing choice in any rpg

Nah, ME3's original Destruction ending wins that one hands-down, though "you gotta go irradiate yourself to death, it's your destiny" is a good close second imo. (Also just its endings in general for the three-game momentum behind that trainwreck).

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

i've probably linked this before but it's a very illuminating look into the process that creates a game like Skyrim or Fallout 4 and its kind of incredible how the dude comes off without intending to at all

Yeah you linked this in the last version of this thread IIRC and I was right about to go digging for it so I could post this. Like I said last time, the fact that this guy can't for the life of him clearly tell you what the theme of the game (THAT HE WROTE!!!) is tells you everything you need to know about the quality of Bethesda's writing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What ground does Cyberpunk cover that hasn't been done by two Blade Runners, three Deus Ex's, and three Shadowruns? I'm not counting Invisible War because gently caress that.

How I'd rank Witcher 3's major story beats.

Great:
The Bloody Baron
Gaunter O'Dimm
Keira Metz

Okay:
Blood and Wine
Skellige Succession

Lame:
The Wild Hunt themselves
Dijkstra swallows idiot pills
Spending hours looking for loving Dandelion

the pondsmith cyberpunk IP is more about being 2000AD with out the facist state and more of corpo hell state like robocop etc. its less transhumanism and more about saving/redeeming yourself in disposable hellworld. its less anything revolutionary genre take and more of a personal/crime noir 2000AD story about about saving oneself and being remembered and poo poo. its solid/good stuff and has alot of heart and good writing and actually handles poo poo pretty well.

Sydin posted:

The Pitt was Bethesda actually trying to take a shot at creating a morally ambiguous choice for the player and it kinda... a little... well okay look it flubs it completely but at least they tried, and The Pitt itself was pretty cool with a lot of neat rewards for ingot hunting.

this and the empire vs stormcloaks and some of the faction stuff is ok Bethesda writing. like its not amazing but i do sorta like the ambiguity with faction poo poo.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

"so Fallout 4 is about...Androids, right? um........or is it??? I mean in Fallout 4 there's alot of themes right? That If all of fallout 4 is about is 1950s Americana or Fallout 4 is about yoknow the post-apocalypse but, at its core Fallout 4 is about Androids....who look like humans, ok? So the theme of the and this would become of very important play for us and this is something we didn't realize until late in pre-production is the most important theme in Fallout 4 is suspicion....Who is this person sitting next to me?"

-Emil Pagliarulo

This reads like a Trump speech lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the pondsmith cyberpunk IP is more about being 2000AD with out the facist state and more of corpo hell state like robocop etc. its less transhumanism and more about saving/redeeming yourself in disposable hellworld. its less anything revolutionary genre take and more of a personal/crime noir 2000AD story about about saving oneself and being remembered and poo poo. its solid/good stuff and has alot of heart and good writing and actually handles poo poo pretty well.

Yeah. I'm about 80 hours into the janky mess and I kind of love it. Given up trying to disabuse people of some of the notions the game's narratives when they haven't played it, though, but it was my mistake for trying in the first place.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Emil at least is just obviously bullshitting and looking for stuff to say. Whereas with Trump it's clearly either dementia or late stage brain-damage from getting syphilis so many times.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

"I'll show you this person right here right?..."
*shows a picture of Hayao Miyazaki*
"You probably don't recognize him..."
*few seconds later:guy in front row gets up and leaves*

:allears: This is so loving funny

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

there's something very weird about the statements "it's about suspicion. is the person sitting beside me human? do they want to do me harm?" and "which is a theme that's very relevant today" occurring next to each other when, no, we don't actually have sophisticated androids that are indistinguishable from people so why would I ever question if the person next to me is human, and if you're asking yourself that question it's deeply concerning.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ghostlight posted:

there's something very weird about the statements "it's about suspicion. is the person sitting beside me human? do they want to do me harm?" and "which is a theme that's very relevant today" occurring next to each other when, no, we don't actually have sophisticated androids that are indistinguishable from people so why would I ever question if the person next to me is human, and if you're asking yourself that question it's deeply concerning.

That's why I thought of Trump. It's just a very weird baffling ramble and at the end of it you're just like "wtf is this guy even trying to say"

"folks, we're talking about androids....or are we? We're talking, we're talking 1950s America! We're talking about the apocalypse! We're talking about androids. They're not the best androids, these androids, I would know, these androids, they're very bad folks! Bad scary stuff!"

:sad:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's crazy about that talk is that Pagliarulo's takeaway from most players not really engaging with FO3 or Skyrim's stories beyond the surface level details was "ah, most players don't care about the story in games so we can simplify it down significantly." Like... holy gently caress my man, how about having a modicum of self reflection? Maybe the reason most players didn't get really engaged in those stories was because... those stories weren't really compelling? Obsidian took pretty much the exact same base as FO3 and created a game who's story people still gush over to this day in NV. Hell, there are Morrowind "scholars" who still pour over interpreting Kirkbride's drug-fueled lore ramblings. If you write something that is actually engaging and craft a world that rewards engaging with it, players will engage with it. Wow, loving novel huh.

Hammerfell is going to suck sooooooo bad lol.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

What's crazy about that talk is that Pagliarulo's takeaway from most players not really engaging with FO3 or Skyrim's stories beyond the surface level details was "ah, most players don't care about the story in games so we can simplify it down significantly." Like... holy gently caress my man, how about having a modicum of self reflection? Maybe the reason most players didn't get really engaged in those stories was because... those stories weren't really compelling? Obsidian took pretty much the exact same base as FO3 and created a game who's story people still gush over to this day in NV. Hell, there are Morrowind "scholars" who still pour over interpreting Kirkbride's drug-fueled lore ramblings. If you write something that is actually engaging and craft a world that rewards engaging with it, players will engage with it. Wow, loving novel huh.

At this point I can see myself just waiting for Beyond Skyrim’s teams to finish their province mods before I ever look at playing the Elder Scrolls VI.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do enjoy looking back at the initial hyperbolic reviews for Bethesda games. One of my favorite lines was from the GameSpot review of Skyrim where the video said that the sidequest chains would have been full campaigns in less ambitious titles.

I mean I know it took dealing with the Fallout 76 disaster before reviewers turned on Bethesda but holy poo poo that line stuck with me on the bullshit scale.

I really, really hope that we get to a point where the backlash against releasing unfinished games causes publishers to step back and reassess game launch methodology. But who am I kidding. No Man's Sky didn't stop it, Fallout 76 didn't stop it and Cyberpunk definitely won't stop it. We'll keep getting unfinished games sold to us at $80 price tags until our standards are lowered even further and the price jumps again.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Can't get better than

imo

I never noticed Sonic's Hitler moustache before. Nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe that hbomb used the One-Winged Angel bit in both Fallout videos

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Here's a good critique of the storytelling/worldbuilding of FO3 compared to New Vegas. And game narratives in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrV0tyOVKU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1341762888994869248

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9SZHa8-RY

Garrand fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 23, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

Bethesda games have always had narratives driven by the ones the players make in their heads, if they're into that sort of thing. When you're wandering post-nuke DC with just "find Dad" as your guiding principle you have a lot of blanks to fill in on your own.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Groovelord Neato posted:

Here's a good critique of the storytelling/worldbuilding of FO3 compared to New Vegas. And game narratives in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrV0tyOVKU

Whatever happened to MrBtounge? He stopped uploading videos 4 years ago and then 2 years ago he came back with one video and then he was gone again.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Todd in the Shadows released his Worst Songs of 2020 list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb9Iv83WKk

I can't believe Yummy came out this year. In the words of Dr. Dre: it literally feels like a lifetime ago. :corsair:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbaDEO8IHs

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

MechaX posted:

you at least get some really cool weapons and a metal gear solid stealth camo from Operation Anchorage

Has anyone ever commented on the fact that they named the stealth armor a slur? My knowledge of Mandarin is surface level at best, so I didn't realize it until years later.

Never seen anyone mention it in the context of fallout 3 critiques though.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

Todd in the Shadows released his Worst Songs of 2020 list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb9Iv83WKk

I can't believe Yummy came out this year. In the words of Dr. Dre: it literally feels like a lifetime ago. :corsair:

No joke I feel like I've aged 10 years this year. (Also I had to actually stay home due to me being vulnerable plus I had to look out for other vulnerable people as well) When my birthday actually came it felt surreal.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kamrat posted:

Whatever happened to MrBtounge? He stopped uploading videos 4 years ago and then 2 years ago he came back with one video and then he was gone again.

I have to assume it was a time vs reward thing. I remember him saying somewhere he has a real job and youtube didn't come close to paying the bills.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I like to imagine he finally achieved enlightenment and ascended to a higher plane of existence, having bestowed what wisdom he could upon this undeserving world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I'm about 80 hours into the janky mess and I kind of love it. Given up trying to disabuse people of some of the notions the game's narratives when they haven't played it, though, but it was my mistake for trying in the first place.

same. i think alot of folks legit havent heard of pondsmith and his IP before so they think "they named it after a genre and it isnt gibson, so gently caress them" CDPR made a bunch of gently caress ups in PR and managment(hell crunch, poo poo head twitter dude who got fired, tone deaf poo poo all around/etc). also part of the issue is CDPR has never been good with comercials for their games. like remember all the witcher 3 commercials and than look at witcher 3. anyway, its a good game overall despite the jank and it has alot of heart.

Ghostlight posted:

its because he is an idiot who went to the far cry 3 school of story writing, where making deep sounding statements and having loose themes= good story instead of writing actual characters and plots. i think bethesda does an ok job with faction writing at times though its never new vegas level.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the original Shandification video was blocked by the NBA. gently caress this dumb as poo poo copyright hellscape we live in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paladin posted:

Has anyone ever commented on the fact that they named the stealth armor a slur? My knowledge of Mandarin is surface level at best, so I didn't realize it until years later.

Never seen anyone mention it in the context of fallout 3 critiques though.

they absolutely did not put any more thought into the name other than "Black Ghost sounds cool, run it through the translator"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sydin posted:

lmao the original Shandification video was blocked by the NBA. gently caress this dumb as poo poo copyright hellscape we live in.

Yup I was trying to find the original and found that out. Pretty amazing.