Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So my family is currently down in Orlando doing Disney things due to outside influences. That being said the parks we have left are magic kingdom part deux and Hollywood studios. We've got a Droid building appointment at studios and the first time we hit magic kingdom we got most of the rides so my question is is there any must hit things that most people miss for either park? I've got a 12 and a 7 year old if that helps.

Also holy poo poo epcot is amazing and everyone I talked to before I went shat all over it. Those people are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

People who poo poo all over Epcot last went before they were 21 years of age

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Epcot is amazing

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think I’m passing on Disney. Just seems like a bad idea right now. Hopefully next year tho.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I would legitimately come back just for epcot. Such a good park.

Animal kingdom seemed real bad. The safari was cool but the park didn't seem like an actual Disney park, if that makes sense. The avatar stuff was cool but to be honest I do not give a single gently caress about avatar.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The avatar ride was amazing. I waited in line for 3 hours and can honestly say it was worth it. The Everest ride was good too. Other than that, ehh.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

PneumonicBook posted:

Animal kingdom seemed real bad. The safari was cool but the park didn't seem like an actual Disney park, if that makes sense. The avatar stuff was cool but to be honest I do not give a single gently caress about avatar.

expedition everest owns, as does dinosaur

and nomad lounge owns

Animal Kingdom is pretty cool

the dinoland usa area is a bit of a letdown when you first see it though

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

alg posted:

expedition everest owns, as does dinosaur

and nomad lounge owns

Animal Kingdom is pretty cool

the dinoland usa area is a bit of a letdown when you first see it though

Dinosaur is terrifying in a 90s loud cart ride way. Your enjoyment of it hinges on how much nostalgia you have for rides like it.

We weren't able to get on the good avatar ride which is a shame, especially since the river ride is trash garbage.

I don't know, a lot of animal kingdom aesthetically just doesn't yell disney like MK and epcot do. I'll post my impressions of HS when we go as I've never been and I'm super interested.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

RCarr posted:

The avatar ride was amazing. I waited in line for 3 hours and can honestly say it was worth it. The Everest ride was good too. Other than that, ehh.

:same: FoP was worth every minute of those 3 hours, to me. And I love Epcot the most, too.

Agreed - maybe next year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PneumonicBook posted:

So my family is currently down in Orlando doing Disney things due to outside influences. That being said the parks we have left are magic kingdom part deux and Hollywood studios. We've got a Droid building appointment at studios and the first time we hit magic kingdom we got most of the rides so my question is is there any must hit things that most people miss for either park? I've got a 12 and a 7 year old if that helps.

Also holy poo poo epcot is amazing and everyone I talked to before I went shat all over it. Those people are awful.

Make sure you get your rear end up in time to get a boarding pass for Rise of Resistance. They go up at 7am. I would highly suggest rope dropping HS for the Mickey ride. You'll like it and your kids will love it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

RCarr posted:

Flight of Passage is so good that it retroactively makes the movie better.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PneumonicBook posted:

Nobody gives a single gently caress about Avatar OP

We constantly comment that the only good thing about that movie is that it caused flight of passage

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1207988802225991681?s=21

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

PneumonicBook posted:

Animal Kingdom is the best theme park in Orlando, in that it's really the last one with a nearly completely coherent theme. That being said, it is way lighter on Disney theming. By and large, how big a problem this is will be inversely proportional to how much of an amusement park snob you are, haha.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm worried about AK's future now that Joe is gone.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PneumonicBook posted:

I haven't gone since they added the Avatar stuff so I want to check that out, but yeah, Animal Kingdom is my least favorite of the four. I'm not a coaster person and have never done Everest, so apart from doing the safari, the walk-through animal paths, and checking out all the cool design work there's just not that much for me there. To me it feels more like a very nice zoo with marginal amusement park elements. The Tusker House buffet was really good, though!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

I'm worried about AK's future now that Joe is gone.

don't you mean Disney's Wild Animal Adventure Kingdom with the Indiana Jones Experience?

I love the edutainment vibe that is still faintly present at AK and Epcot still has some so they top my list but I totally understand the people whose vibe is not those two parks. I do think that we'll likely see that vanish even faster now that Joe's out.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Animal Kingdom is good because it's not like the other Disney parks. But look deeper at all of the detail everywhere. The sheer amount of design packed into that park is what makes it Disney.

Plus, yeah, Flight of Passage and Everest are so drat good.

Oh, Animal Kingdom also has the best food in the Disney parks outside of World Showcase. And maybe even better at times.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
With a 12 and 7 year old you could have gotten a lot out of Wilderness Explorer badges at AK if they're doing that still w/ covid.

At MK day two maybe try sorcerers of the magic kingdom (again, if they're doing that still). Go in the firehouse building on main street and they will set you up. If you haven't been to Tom Sawyer's island go do that. A lot of people miss it because you have to take the boats to it and they only run for part of the day.

At Studios get up however early you must and get multiple phones involved or whatever to book rise of the resistance. It will make your whole day. And rope drop runaway railway.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dren posted:

With a 12 and 7 year old you could have gotten a lot out of Wilderness Explorer badges at AK if they're doing that still w/ covid.

At MK day two maybe try sorcerers of the magic kingdom (again, if they're doing that still). Go in the firehouse building on main street and they will set you up. If you haven't been to Tom Sawyer's island go do that. A lot of people miss it because you have to take the boats to it and they only run for part of the day.

At Studios get up however early you must and get multiple phones involved or whatever to book rise of the resistance. It will make your whole day. And rope drop runaway railway.

They are still doing Sorcerers, however if you like it, do it as soon as you can because it's probably going to go away sooner than later.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm basically in a holding pattern until I can buy Luke's saber tomorrow tbh.

We hit up the buzz ride again today and wants carousel of progress this morning, going to head back and try to get splash mountain and big thunder done tonight.

If I ever plan one of these im definitely going to work out a pool day or something because right now half of us are passed out in the hotel lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah rope drop, afternoon hotel/pool break, then close the park is generally the best way to do all the big stuff and not exhaust yourself.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah rope drop, afternoon hotel/pool break, then close the park is generally the best way to do all the big stuff and not exhaust yourself.

Thats what we did Sunday at MK and it worked out super well. The park was basically dead, not sure if that was because there was a chance of rain or because it was late. Guess we'll see tonight.

The pool breaks great because I start rabbit holing into these rides. Like how Frozen at epcot was great and then there was maybe the greatest ride ever, the 3 Caballeros in what has been made into coco land...

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 23, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

awful 3 Caballeros ride

shut your dirty mouth

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The first rule of talking about Disney is that you can't poo poo talk any attraction, because they're all someone's favorites (exceptions for the spinners that aren't Dumbo and Astro Orbiter).

PS the 3 Caballeros are pure and beautiful.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bottom Liner posted:

shut your dirty mouth

Ah I mean the...totally great...and amazing...three Caballero's ride.

I mean my son really liked it! It reminded me a little of small world. I think the big problem with it is you go from the Frozen ride to that one and it's obvious the difference between them. Especially the reliance on screens.

Tbh all of the epcot rides were really great, my kids even got super into all of the edutainment ones and I was appreciative of them going that route. I was personally really impressed with the imaginarium, and having Rick Moranis and Robin there as 'disney scientists' was really sweet.

Its funny because my wife and I were dreading epcot but both kids loved it and we came to the conclusion that when we had gone to Orlando as kids both of us hadn't gone to epcot because we remembered none of it.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

PneumonicBook posted:

awful 3 Caballeros ride

wow look at your opinions

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

JaneError posted:

wow look at your opinions

I'm sorry my transgression has been corrected.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boxman posted:

The first rule of talking about Disney is that you can't poo poo talk any attraction, because they're all someone's favorites (exceptions for the spinners that aren't Dumbo and Astro Orbiter).

PS the 3 Caballeros are pure and beautiful.

Stitch's farting adventure sucked. Change my mind. :colbert:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I enjoyed the Three Caballeros ride a lot more when it was sort of a unknown hidden gem of a ride, or at least not as popular a few years back. No matter how crazy Epcot was it always seemed you could duck into it for a quick airconditioned ride. WDW has gotten so busy and the youtubers/bloggers have talked about these hidden gems so much they're no longer hidden gems. Just like the People Mover. Back in 2015/2016 no matter how busy the park was it seemed like I could just walk onto the people mover. Last couple of trips it's been a 30+ minute wait for the thing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Please refrain from talking bad about Gran Fiesta Tour starring the Three Caballeros aka Donald Boat Ride

it is wonderful, and frozen ever after can’t touch the fireworks effects in the ceiling

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dren posted:

About that...

This was our visit last month. Is it filled again?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hazo posted:

About that...

This was our visit last month. Is it filled again?

Still empty.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

PneumonicBook posted:

Still empty.

They are taking their sweet time replacing the rail that drives the big paddlewheel Liberty Belle boat around, TSI is closed in the meantime. Railroad is still down because a huge chunk of it is missing for the Tron construction (you can see the construction the best from the Goofy's Barnstormer Queue). Also the walkway between grand Floridian and the MK is now finally open, you can actually walk all the way to MK from the parking lot via the path through Poly and Grand Floridian now. Which in certain park exit scenarios may be the way to go if you don't mind the long walk.

Epcot's entrance fountain is now back too, the redone look original 3 clear pylon one, so the entrance looks 1000x better (I never liked the leave a legacy tombstone look). The middle part around partialy demolished innoventions is still a huge mess though.

I'm avoiding the parks this week and next, Universal has been hitting capacity very early in the day this week. (around 10am)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I for one hope the raccoons and bears claim Tom Sawyer island for themselves

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hillbilly bears should only fill tombs at Haunted Mansion

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I got group 6 for Rise. I'm not insane to think we can rope drop Mickeys ride then head over there ya? We've also got to grab a wheelchair beforehand.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

PneumonicBook posted:

So I got group 6 for Rise. I'm not insane to think we can rope drop Mickeys ride then head over there ya? We've also got to grab a wheelchair beforehand.

don’t you get an hour after your group is called? i’d think it would be fine provided you can get to the front of railway in like 30 minutes

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dren posted:

don’t you get an hour after your group is called? i’d think it would be fine provided you can get to the front of railway in like 30 minutes

Somehow my group got called at 830 so I can't wait to miss the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That sucks. Mickey’s Runaway Railway was excellent.