Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

Have to assume it's a publisher mandate (Krafton also governs PUBG)

I can't believe PUBG still exists tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Less than a month after I decided to finally give GOG Galaxy a shot, too. Jerks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't even know GOG operated in China. loving lovely situation, I've been wanting to play this drat it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sigher posted:

I didn't even know GOG operated in China. loving lovely situation, I've been wanting to play this drat it.

I bought it way back on steam, then refunded it because I really wasn’t in the right frame of mind to play it. I’m now regretting this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One of the weirder parts is that I don't think the stuff it got banned for is even in the game anymore. Like they took it out and the game still got banned.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a despotic regime, reality doesn't have anything to do with it as much as personal spite and offense does.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hakkesshu posted:

One of the weirder parts is that I don't think the stuff it got banned for is even in the game anymore. Like they took it out and the game still got banned.

"Its not about the money, its about sending a message"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol they may be getting a taste of their own medicine

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1339740478485479426?s=19

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I put it off for a long time because nobody ever said anything positive about it, but I'm doing it. Outlast II. I had mixed feelings about the first one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You'll probably have just as mixed feelings about that one, then. It really doubles down on the skeevier aspects of Outlast 1 in the worst possible way.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Outlast 2 is the worst.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bogart posted:

Outlast 2 is the worst.

it's not the worst horror game I've ever played

it is however the worst big budget horror game I've ever played

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Danknificent posted:

I put it off for a long time because nobody ever said anything positive about it, but I'm doing it. Outlast II. I had mixed feelings about the first one.

Honestly don't even bother.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the first Outlast just fine but yeah Outlast 2 is absolute dogshit

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
whats so gently caress with it?? why so bad??

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Outlast 2 takes away the poo poo that I liked about Outlast 1 (claustrophobic stealth in the dark) and replaces it with poo poo that really really sucks. These things include

-lots more open, meandering locations with no clear indicator of where to go, defeating the purpose of the whole camera gimmick
-silent protagonist now replaced with whiny rear end in a top hat who won’t shut up
-doubling down on the rape, gore, and disgusting poo poo. The written notes you find read like an aristocrats joke
-tripling down on the rape
-story and gameplay flow is CONSTANTLY broken up by these school nightmare sections that are no fun to play
-no Trager
-penultimate antagonist is kinda transphobic

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Yeah, I'm only 90 minutes in and I have mostly cons.

Pros:
- Decent production values
- Some good visual design
- On paper this premise should have been okay

Cons:
- The setting is just awful compared to the first game; it's not interesting (at least to me)
- The openness of the environments (relative) invites some actual gameplay mechanics, and there aren't any; it's just sneak past enemies for the sake of the story*, which leans completely on the narrative, which is not very strong--I can see what they were going for; the set design and visuals want this to be very cinematic, but those notes just aren't getting hit.
- The camera is underused for genuine creepy moments at least so far. You need to like... have to use it to keep a lookout; then it would be scary when you see those eyes--but it's just a bunch of patrolling NPCs. This camera and some Alien Isolation AI could've been cool.
- The camera is also mindblowingly stupid because it's just an added layer of eyeroll that these horny amish people all have AAs lying out on the table
- The narrative just doesn't work so far. It's not clicking.
- The school sequences are obviously foreshadowing for what this 13 year old writer thinks must be whatever brings the story together later, but they're just obnoxious.

I think the main things: the open(ish) settings beg for more robust gameplay, and the narrative doesn't fully engage. Leaning heavily into gross stuff is not necessarily a bad choice, but it needs to come off as dark--while everything I'm seeing in this game feels like forced edginess.

I'm finding it kind of a chore to play.

*which is normal for the genre, but usually the genre has the decency to funnel you along a bit more effectively.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Honey, have you seen the ladder we have made up of the fleshy bloody corpses of nonbelievers? I need to get up to the second story of the barn and dislodge the tied together wrecking ball made up of the bloody corpses of at least 15 people which is the only way to open the barn door so that I can let the horses out to graze."

Outlast 2 was dumb, boring, and made no sense. They would have had to have the population density of downtown Chicago to support the town infrastructure which is entirely made up of corpses.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I played all of Outlast 2 and while I don’t regret it I have no desire to ever replay it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Outlast 2 falls into the sequel trap of having to up the ante. You’ve got the story about a mind wave device or whatever that turns people insane, that’s enough to build a story as you navigate the crazies theological society with mutants and splinter factions.

But everything regarding the orphanage is serious “cancelled plans from an unrelated game” but it also makes you question if it really happened so it falls into the psychological horror trap of “did this literally happen?” And by ENDING on that you question if the gore game even happened!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alien Isolation is the free game of the day on the Epic store, if there's anyone left here who doesn't own it yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Time to admit something dirty: I've never played REmake until this weekend. I always held that Resident Evil was a "perfect" game in the same way Back to the Future is a "perfect" movie with a rock solid script and pacing that hits all the right notes and ends when it needs to with no padding or fat.

But uh I kind of hate this game? Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with the original that this game is throwing me for a loop but at least in the mansion segments I'm finding the design choices to be incredibly questionable.

Like in Jill's scenario Barry tells you to take the east side of the mansion as usual but in REmake the east side is completely blocked off in the beginning. So I go over to the west which is loaded with items for puzzles I haven't encountered yet: ink ribbon, the arrow, the emblem, the gem from the dining room statue, the armor key you can't pick up, and like maybe one magazine of ammo total. You go through a huge chunk of the game with no safe room to store your items so I was combining/using herbs just so I could pick up items I didn't know if I would actually need or not.

Well you definitely need the arrow which leads to the sword key in a room that's completely new but this brings me to my second issue: the level design is kind of poo poo! RE1 on PlayStation felt bigger, like the halls were wider allowing for more maneuverability but a zombie in REmake can stand shoulder to shoulder in a hallway basically making dodging impossible. And maybe this is what defensive items were actually for, to stick a knife in a zombie's head to give you a chance to actually dodge it because with the default tank controls I couldn't figure out how to juke these assholes at all...

Until I turned on alternate controls which completely break the game. I feel bad for even playing it in this mode but I hate the changes to this game so much and feel like the cramped hallways with undodgeable zombies warrant me playing like an rear end in a top hat. Like the first time I died was coming out of that weird sarcophagus room and a zombie was camping the stairs because it couldn't walk down but wouldn't leave the area either and with no inventory space for ammo (because there's still no loving safe room before the sword key!) and no way to juke it I just get munched and zombies in normal difficulty are like 3 hits and you're dead.

I probably would've liked this more in 2001 as an alternative look at a game I was super familiar with but playing it in 2020 it really feels baaad.

e: the door knob that breaks leading to the first safe room feels like a super troll move, like "gently caress you player, you don't backtrack enough in this game so we're just going to block this route off." I also can't believe they still stress to the player to check out the eastern side first but absolutely not, everything you need to proceed is in the west to start like why do this? The original game had both routes open to start.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2020

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any opinions on Daymare: 1998 these days? I tried the demo but it had really awful mechanical decisions (reloading clips THEN reloading gun) and the developers going full-on chestbeating about difficulty kinda soured me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's largely considered just plain bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someday someone will make a good PS1 retro horror game

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any opinions on Daymare: 1998 these days? I tried the demo but it had really awful mechanical decisions (reloading clips THEN reloading gun) and the developers going full-on chestbeating about difficulty kinda soured me.

It's an extremely boring game with bad gameplay and a terrible story that does nothing with its plot or characters and has poor enemy variety and shooting.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I don’t know if good is the word but I thought Murder House was cool

As for a ps1 style tank control horror throwback... I don’t know.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the puppet combo games are probably the closest youre ever going to get

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Murder House is legit good, it's definitely the most fleshed out and polished puppetcombo games and like a good horror movie it's not longer than 2 hours.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cardiovorax posted:

It's largely considered just plain bad.

Night10194 posted:

It's an extremely boring game with bad gameplay and a terrible story that does nothing with its plot or characters and has poor enemy variety and shooting.

Woof, I had saw that the review quality had shifted a bit on Steam but guess it's still a poo poo game overall!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's from the people who brought you Hatred and that game where you're on a turret shooting refugees if that tells you anything

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How did Yume Nikki Dream Diary turn out?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Blockhouse posted:

It's from the people who brought you Hatred and that game where you're on a turret shooting refugees if that tells you anything

I never heard of the turret game, but gently caress I forgot Hatred existed...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Firstborn posted:

I never heard of the turret game, but gently caress I forgot Hatred existed...

You're actually shooting a fictional isis that somehow have taken over the rest of the planet and are invading europe rather than refugees, but it's still a lovely game with a lovely premise. I know this because I was one of the people mocking it when it came out.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Paratropic is kinda horror.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Do Prototype Mansion - Used No Cover and Garden Variety Body Horror - Rare Import count as PS1-style Horror games? I have both of them in my queue to play, but they might be a little too tongue-in-cheek to truly fit the bill; they're obviously going after that particular style, though. Might be worth checking out.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How did Yume Nikki Dream Diary turn out?

I think it's ok, I was pretty down on it before playing but treat it like any number of fangames and it's fine. It's more platforming based but it's not particularly difficult and the structure of the levels loses most of the wandering/exploration feeling from the original so it's a shorter play time. If it's on special I think it makes a decent afternoon but nothing too memorable.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yume Nikki and .flow hold some serious special spots in my heart and creative inspiration, and I love that the Yume creator is still a total unknown

Yume 2 is also cool for being such a big collaborative fan project with so so many environments and neat scenes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Anatomy by Kitty Horrorshow is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The steam sale made me buy Evil Within 2, and so far it’s really loving good! (I’m on chapter 5).

It makes me sad we will probably never get a third game.