Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The politics of this thing are all kindsa screwy:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1341552825915101184

Pelosi coming out of the gate strong just neutered the whole "donnie gets the credit" thing. We're now in pocket veto territory though - Donnie could sit on the bill for the allotted 10 days and the covid-omnibus dies. The government would shut down on the 28th though, there was only a 7-day funding rider on that thing. The bill also can't be modified, it's literally on the way to Donnie. It's sign or veto/override, that's it.

The other alternative - someone sits Donnie down and explains to him that the covid-omnibus is actually two bills, and he was just reading off the omnibus poo poo, and the omnibus actually owns libs real good! Donnie caves, signs, and yells about funding more.

Pretty sure Republican Senators are really, really sick of his dumb poo poo at this point :laugh:

Edit: And Loffler/Perdue had ads in the field starting today claiming credit for the covid-omnibus!

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/1341547141341335553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How the gently caress do you serve the electoral college???

carefully

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He’s a question, could Trump unilaterally up the amount using some Byzantine rule, similar to the brief summer unemployment extension?

Can they pass a bill to increase the amount, but said bill will only take effect, if condition X is meet (in this case first bill becomes law)? I know states have done this both with (bizarrely) abortion and sports betting.

I know these all are unlikely, but sometimes the minutia and hypothetical war gaming Is kind of fun...well maybe only for some lawyers and poli sci junkies.

https://twitter.com/leaderhoyer/status/1341563425126834178?s=21

Oh man every Dem needs to just jump on this right now.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 23, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How the gently caress do you serve the electoral college???

With Fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The politics of this thing are all kindsa screwy:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1341552825915101184

Pelosi coming out of the gate strong just neutered the whole "donnie gets the credit" thing. We're now in pocket veto territory though - Donnie could sit on the bill for the allotted 10 days and the covid-omnibus dies. The government would shut down on the 28th though, there was only a 7-day funding rider on that thing. The bill also can't be modified, it's literally on the way to Donnie. It's sign or veto/override, that's it.

The other alternative - someone sits Donnie down and explains to him that the covid-omnibus is actually two bills, and he was just reading off the omnibus poo poo, and the omnibus actually owns libs real good! Donnie caves, signs, and yells about funding more.

Pretty sure Republican Senators are really, really sick of his dumb poo poo at this point :laugh:

Edit: And Loffler/Perdue had ads in the field starting today claiming credit for the covid-omnibus!

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/1341547141341335553

How's he supposed to pocket veto it in 10 days if Congress is in session until 3 Jan?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

How's he supposed to pocket veto it in 10 days if Congress is in session until 3 Jan?

Sundays don't count and Donnie doesn't have the bill yet. The bill is in "enrollment" where every page gets checked for fuckups and printed on parchment paper. More detail here:

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1341550660714639370

And I don't think Donnie knows how much he hosed up on this one:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1341572295769415682

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pump this directly into my veins!

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 23, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So its late, and I don't think I'm totally following this. How can AOC (et al.) file an ammendment to a bill that was already passed by the Senate?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

So its late, and I don't think I'm totally following this. How can AOC (et al.) file an amendment to a bill that was already passed by the Senate?

They can't - it's a bill to amend a law already passed (if signed), which is fine. Bill 1 passes and gets signed, Bill 2 passes and gets signed, modifying Bill 1. If Bill 2 gets passed/signed without Bill 1 getting passed/signed first, it's fucky and doesn't work.

A standalone "here's $2K" bill wouldn't affect the $600 in the covid-omnibus, so it would be pushing $2,600.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SquirrelyPSU posted:

So its late, and I don't think I'm totally following this. How can AOC (et al.) file an ammendment to a bill that was already passed by the Senate?

e beaten

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

They can't - it's a bill to amend a law already passed (if signed), which is fine. Bill 1 passes and gets signed, Bill 2 passes and gets signed, modifying Bill 1. If Bill 2 gets passed/signed without Bill 1 getting passed/signed first, it's fucky and doesn't work.

A standalone "here's $2K" bill wouldn't affect the $600 in the covid-omnibus, so it would be pushing $2,600.

This makes much more sense to my sleepy lizard brain. Thanks!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

orange juche posted:

Read the CASE act in its entirety, and it basically says, "If you have someone raise a claim against you, you have 30 days to cease the infringing activity (claimant can still seek damages against you, even if you stop, for already committed activity, up to 30,000 USD), or lawyer up, try to fight it, and if you lose, you have to pay out up to 30,000 USD, on top of legal fees. The person being served has no option to counterclaim or seek dismissal without involving legal counsel. They have to lawyer up and pray that they win their legal case. Good news is if you can drag it out for 3 years without losing your case, it gets dismissed! (you're still paying 3 years of laywer's fees). It's all small claims court though so nobody's going to jail over it, they'll absolutely be financially ruined though.

It's a big wet sloppy blowjob to the people who have back end analytic access to content ID systems and can send out 10,000 claims per day.

Yeah I corrected the stuff about twitch streamers being felons now, I never defended the CASE act.

In the post you referenced above I even complained about the dumb felony controversy taking attention from the CASE act.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

and they said that Gerald Mayo’s suit against the Devil would never be topped

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jaguars! posted:

Also hidden in the Covid Bill:
  • Annexation of Mars
  • 36m for the perverted arts
  • Standardization of the Hogshead through all states
  • Ban on Sex
  • Wu Tang secret

Honestly it wasn't until #4 that I figured it out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm sorry, I'm catching up on today's events, but did Trump just potentially run his mouth into getting bigger stimulus checks for the people?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leavemywife posted:

I'm sorry, I'm catching up on today's events, but did Trump just potentially run his mouth into getting bigger stimulus checks for the people?

Well yes, but actually no.

The potential exists, but don’t hold your breath. We’ve been disappointed on this same exact issue before.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Leavemywife posted:

hope is a mistake

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

Well yes, but actually no.

The potential exists, but don’t hold your breath. We’ve been disappointed on this same exact issue before.

Already Lindsey Graham is trying to weasel in a HEY, LET'S DO CHECKS, BUT SECTION 230 TOO AND DONNIE WILL SIGN THE NDAA pile of nonsense to torpedo the thing. But, a lot of senators have their pet projects buried in there.

It's all hosed and we might get $0. Or $2000. Or $600. Who knows?! But Pelosi/Schumer are both vocally $2K CHECKS NOW trying to lock Donnie up there. Donnie's backed out of this dumb play before (PASS MY PAYROLL TAX CUT OR ELSE) and Georgia plus the January 6th vote is looming.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 23, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when Trump was going to do gun control, or when he was going to replace DACA with something bigger and better?

People were excited about him outflanking the centrists, and he folded like the linen service at Mar al Lago.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's no way in hell $2000 checks gets through the Senate, but it's still a massive unforced error by Trump—a lot of the talk about the stimulus has been around $600 being entirely insufficient, with various memes circulating around Facebook and other social media (Which we've all already seen and or/posted), and now the Dems have a massive cudgel to use against the Republicans since they can clearly and openly argue "The only obstacle between you and $2000 is Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
trump still thinks if he* can give out more money people will overturn the election for him

*its in his head he controls the money because hes the boss

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah can't keep people fed and sheltered without getting in grift.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I still think everyone's way off in focusing on just the $600 checks. Sure that helps everyone (very little), but the really, truly hosed get more benefit out of the food stamps, unemployment, and rental assistance that's way over a one-time $600.

And an additional fucky thing is that we're staring down a government shutdown after the 28th and any continuing resolution can stall at Donnie, basically until January 20th if he just sits on it, plus the gap in congresses on the 4th. And the only people he talks to anymore are completely insane and 3K are dying from COVID per day.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 23, 2020

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A malignant narcissist says something that makes themselves the center of attention? I'm shocked. Well not that shocked.

Have fun McConnel you sentient poo poo stain.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

facialimpediment posted:

I still think everyone's way off in focusing on just the $600 checks. Sure that helps everyone (very little), but the really, truly hosed get more benefit out of the food stamps, unemployment, and rental assistance that's way over a one-time $600.

And an additional fucky thing is that we're staring down a government shutdown after the 28th and any continuing resolution can stall at Donnie, basically until January 20th if he just sits on it, plus the gap in congresses on the 4th. And the only people he talks to anymore are completely insane and 3K are dying from COVID per day.

We had the whole argument about how unemployment extension is huge in this thread. The point you keep screaming past...is that everyone ,including goons, who are not unemployed needs help badly. 2000$ is an exciting prospect which is why we are discussing it. Everyone I know is in a spectrum from sorta hosed to really hosed and most are screwed out of UI or ran out of benefits or have to re file claims and wait for literally crumbling state Unemployment offices to re issue rulings. 2000$ is almost the bare minimum (600$ is the actual) to keep the finances of regular people from cratering into a new Great Depression.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Some of the really, truly hosed get that assistance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What state was it that just showed like half or more of their budget for covid unemployment poo poo didn't get paid out because its too difficult for people to actually get the paperwork approved?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gotcha, just to make clear my personal opinion on the whole thing, the fact that everyone isn't getting something like a progressive $2k/month for the life of the pandemic is absolutely atrocious. There shouldn't be / shouldn't have been a single eviction this entire year, but can't have that because capitalism or some poo poo.

I keep seeing that we're spending more money overall than some of the governments footing the bill for like 80% of wages, but I don't really believe it.

That Works posted:

What state was it that just showed like half or more of their budget for covid unemployment poo poo didn't get paid out because its too difficult for people to actually get the paperwork approved?

A lot of them! I believe that unspent state money is about to go poof too at the end of the month, the covid-omnibus extends the spend deadline on that stuff.

(probably Florida)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What's the goal with the one time payments for people who are still working? Is it just general stimulus since the economy is crashing, since the people whose only impact from the pandemic is having to work from home wouldn't really need it. Focusing on improving the unemployment process and increasing those payments further seems to make more sense.

quote:

I keep seeing that we're spending more money overall than some of the governments footing the bill for like 80% of wages, but I don't really believe it.

Most US spending has been in bailouts to companies rather than directly to people.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just a reminder for the vets, especially if you're unemployed, that if you have two or more VA ratings combined in excess of 70%, you can apply for Individual Unemployability through the VA. There are hoops to jump through, like full C&P appointments. It's not quite 100% rating pay (about $200 below it), take 3-6 months to get set up (mine took 4mos), also does not upgrade your actual rating, which means some stuff (like dental) is still on you. Use the DAV or another VSO to file for it.

It's not perfect, but if you meet criteria and are approved, it's very helpful. Keep in mind the program is more for people who find it difficult to work at all for a variety of reasons, it's not like regular unemployment. If approved, you do not take W4/W2 jobs until you're ready to return to the work force. You can work contract I9/1099, but income should be limited and making too much will get you cut off. I had to work a bit on contract this year because of the delays from covid. If you're waiting on approval, don't take a W4/W2 job, or they might take it as a sign that you don't need the program. Take contract, drive uber, deliver food, that kind of poo poo is approved under IU as long as you keep it below the poverty line (is the advice I was given).

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the goal with the one time payments for people who are still working?

It's spending money, that's what the government wants done with it. The point is BUY BUY BUY.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The direct payment has a couple of benefits. First it fills in the donut hole of coverage between people who are able to receive unemployment benefits and the people functionally unaffected by the crash. Essentially the entirety of what's left of the middle class, as well as a large chunk of the working class fall into that hole.

Second, it helps a lot of people free up some money to get things circulating in the economy again. For a lot of people all it does is help them keep their heads above water, but for others it helps them have discretionary cash that can be put back into the economy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Wizard posted:

The direct payment has a couple of benefits. First it fills in the donut hole of coverage between people who are able to receive unemployment benefits and the people functionally unaffected by the crash. Essentially the entirety of what's left of the middle class, as well as a large chunk of the working class fall into that hole.

Second, it helps a lot of people free up some money to get things circulating in the economy again. For a lot of people all it does is help them keep their heads above water, but for others it helps them have discretionary cash that can be put back into the economy.

Yeah I'll add that it's really nice to know a gap is covered or that for this many months you're covered even if no or heavily reduced income is coming in.

I can't describe how wonderful, not having that type of anxiety ad/or having it removed, even if temporarily feels.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well at least one potential crisis was averted - up until very recently, Gritty was banned from showing up at Philly NHL games.

Looks like that ban was lifted, per this (comic sans) press release:

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1341762539500294147?s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Well at least one potential crisis was averted - up until very recently, Gritty was banned from showing up at Philly NHL games.

Looks like that ban was lifted, per this (comic sans) press release:

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1341762539500294147?s=19

HAIL SATAN!

:gritin:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well that’s ominous

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is John Fetterman going to have to choke a bitch?

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1341760813498052610?s=20

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/KaeLaniSays/status/1325544582168399873

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the goal with the one time payments for people who are still working? Is it just general stimulus since the economy is crashing, since the people whose only impact from the pandemic is having to work from home wouldn't really need it. Focusing on improving the unemployment process and increasing those payments further seems to make more sense.

It helps out some of those who had an adult wanting to return to the workforce only to find hiring pretty grim right now. Because my wife voluntarily left the workforce prior to the pandemic (having a kid) she doesn't qualify for any of the unemployment assistance.

Also, from talking with friends/family, even those with jobs, the stability of those jobs is a lot less certain then it was a year ago. Extra disposable income is great to help savings, emergency funds, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if means testing was good and America had a unimpeachable system for doing it prior to the pandemic (lol), there wouldn’t be enough clerks to process the deluge of legitimate claims. The scale of distress is too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Even if means testing was good and America had a unimpeachable system for doing it prior to the pandemic (lol), there wouldn’t be enough clerks to process the deluge of legitimate claims. The scale of distress is too much.

Yeah, if there was ever a lock solid reason for better to massively overpay, then even minor underpaying, it’s this situation.