Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is Earthblood an Epic store exclusive?

Looks like it, not counting consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Hey, first-time ST here running a v5 campaign soon.

I'm running a campaign with a perma-ST that never gets the chance to play despite playing VtM's for more than a decade. He knows a poo poo load of lore and promptly gives full presentations on any topic whenever someone asks.

The thing is, when he showed me his character, it had a ton of things. When I asked if this all was covered with the basic XP of a character, he said he didn't do it based on XP, but on his history. Things like Haven 3, Contacts 3, and what not. Full of flaws, but also full of merits.

I don't know a lot about VtM, I just barely finished the playerbook of v5, so I don't know if I'm allowing a monster or not. How can I know if a character is overpowered rather than simply checking disciplines? Are there any redflags you guys can point me of obvious bad characters people do that I should be wary of? Is ''I didn't use XP, I did it according to my history'' a red flag, or common among veterans?

I call that flag crimson because he's going about it all rear end-backwards, and it feels like he's using his status at the table to get special perks for himself. If he likes to put together large background stories, he has to spend the points to buy what he's writing, not the other way around and write himself into stuff he wouldn't otherwise have. That's unfair to the other players at the table, and you as the storyteller, who is now dealing with someone starting off way ahead of everyone else.

If you like his character as it is, there is another option. You can audit his character sheet and find out how far beyond character creation point guide he is, and put together what his XP deficit is, and throw a multiplier on it that he gets to pay down until he can start spending XP on other stuff (I go with a 1.5x cost if it's not too bad, 2x if he's egregiously over the cap, meaning that if he takes more poo poo, he pays more for the privilege of having it now).

If you and the rest of the group are cool with him doing this, then by all means. Otherwise, tell him how far beyond the character creation limit he is and no amount of writing will get him special perks over everyone else at the table because that's patently unfair.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I don't know a lot about VtM, I just barely finished the playerbook of v5, so I don't know if I'm allowing a monster or not. How can I know if a character is overpowered rather than simply checking disciplines? Are there any redflags you guys can point me of obvious bad characters people do that I should be wary of? Is ''I didn't use XP, I did it according to my history'' a red flag, or common among veterans?
Character creation calls for taking 7 points of Advantages and 2 points of Flaws (should be bottom of p136/top of p137) as a base; "according to my history" is something that definitely reads like you're playing with someone who either (charitable view) only STs so they haven't had to follow guidelines beyond themselves in awhile or (uncharitable view) is prepared to steamroll their way into getting whatever stats they wanted by saying Well, It's What My Character Would Have, and is something to be careful about. A good way to check for the latter is if someone comes into a new game with a short novel's worth of background written about their character to explain why they've got X, Y, Z, and A things above and beyond what they should be getting to start with.

A possible solution is sitting down with the guy and being like, the first draft of this character can be an interesting path for us to set out for the character, but we can't start from it---let's work together on how to tell the story of how the character either gets to this point, or how they got from that point, to where they start the game (having pared down their numbers to what everyone else is built off of).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

When I asked if this all was covered with the basic XP of a character, he said he didn't do it based on XP, but on his history.
More red flags than a Chinese military parade. What he just said to you was "No it isn't, but you should let me have the bonus xp anyways because I wrote a book instead of a character." I've played with people who do this poo poo before, and it always ends up awful because he will never stop steamrolling you, or trying to. And then you're stuck with one dude who is The Main Character™ and everyone else is hosed because anything dangerous to him is instant death to anyone else.

Some people are Forever GMs because they can't behave themselves as players.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Either put your foot down that "this campaign is using [these] char gen rules," or ask him to explain how much XP he went over and give the same amount to everybody else (which means getting comfy with a somewhat higher power level campaign but like, whatever).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Scion: Dragon and Masks of the Mythos are both slated for January Kickstarters, if anyone else is as psyched about those two items as I've been since they were announced.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That's a big red flag to me. I'm the main ST in my group, which usually translates to permaST as everyone else lets their game die off after a month or two, and I would never disrespect my friends enough to not follow their character creation rules. It's one thing to ask for something "Hey, my changeling is a doctor, can I use the artist kith but have it medical flavored isntead, like the old chiurgeon one?" It's another to just import my fanfiction. I'll even award bonus XP based on background written, but it'll be a set amount and offered to all players who answer the questions I put out.

Also: I summon the specter of MAGE CHAT

Short version: I'm guessing that Fate 4 is needed to swap one person's fate to another or to just straight destroy a fate with either patterning or unravelling. What can they do with Fate 3 to stop someone who is fated to die doing an important task from dying?

Long version: The players are up against abyssal entites that take the form of ancient gods, using those myths as a sort of armor so that they can enter our world. They've learned that they can weaponize those myths against the false gods. Their current god once invaded Arcadia and was defeated when a sidhe princess severed the realms of fae from the realms of man with a magic sword. They've also learned that the brand new NPC fairest girlfriend of one of them is the reincarnation of this princess and has actually known she would die again performing this task. So this cannot stand. Fate is such a finicky arcana that I don't really have a good grasp on what each practice can do. ANy help is appreciated.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Soonmot posted:

What can they do with Fate 3 to stop someone who is fated to die doing an important task from dying?
Difficult to say. Always in motion, the future is.

That is, "fates" are never really set in stone and free will(worker) exists. So all the PCs really need to do is something suitably dramatic to subvert the plot. If you really want to involve Fate magic, 3 could easily be involved using a Weaving effect to intertwine someone/thing else and do a whole Highlander type "there can be only one" thing, or a Fraying effect so that instead of being killed, she's just very wounded.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Heart of the Forest does have a funny bit.

It takes place in Poland and all the Polish werewolves are still on the fence about the Get of Fenris for obvious reasons.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Also: I summon the specter of MAGE CHAT

Fated or Destined?

Because if it’s just fated then it can be changed. Maybe not entirely, but into a different form. Destiny is a different ball to kick downhill and if this is the Doom of it then you’re going to be forever running from it.

At least with Fate you can change the circumstances of it too. Something weaving should be able to manage is the method of that death. Maybe it’s no longer an immediate death, but puts into play the manner of that death. Fate concerns itself with the narrative of the story so well, that I can (almost) never say no when the proposed story would be better as a function of messing with fate.

Even just messing with the method of the death opens possibility. Adrenaline pens restarting hearts and that sort of trope. Didn’t cheat fate entirely, and you still win the day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's already out on PC. It's decent from what I've read, on par with Shadows and Coteries of New York.

I'd definitely put it over Coteries. Shadows is a bit tougher. I think Shadows' main character is better than the Woof game's but the Woof game is really good on its own.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've never got to play but I'm looking to get some other noobs together so I can run a game of V5. As far as putting together a chronicle, my plan is to have the gist of city-wide power dynamic and a bunch of NPCs, drop the players in and introduce an element to complicate things and then just sort of see what happens. Will that work or do I need to have more direction for how I expect a story to go?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've never got to play but I'm looking to get some other noobs together so I can run a game of V5. As far as putting together a chronicle, my plan is to have the gist of city-wide power dynamic and a bunch of NPCs, drop the players in and introduce an element to complicate things and then just sort of see what happens. Will that work or do I need to have more direction for how I expect a story to go?

That sounds like a good start. Be prepared for players being players and causing chaos. The fun kind of chaos that makes the story more interesting.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Or the rare alternative, the character that doesn't do anything.

We had a guy that unless an NPC came to his character and told him what to do he just went and did street preaching. No desire to engage with the story at all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Or the rare alternative, the character that doesn't do anything.

We had a guy that unless an NPC came to his character and told him what to do he just went and did street preaching. No desire to engage with the story at all.

Honestly, Vampire street preacher pc sounds kinda fun and likely to cause some problems for various Kindred in the city.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone have Let the Streets Run Red? Would the premade stories in that be of any use for a first-time ST to ease themselves and a new group into the game?

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Only Gallagher can save us now.
Is this where I give the elevator pitch for the Vampire: the Masquerade (20th anniversary edition) virtual tabletop game I've been running and throwing up on YouTube? Or have we reached the saturation point for the million people who are all promoting their playcasts these days?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Horrormelon posted:

Is this where I give the elevator pitch for the Vampire: the Masquerade (20th anniversary edition) virtual tabletop game I've been running and throwing up on YouTube? Or have we reached the saturation point for the million people who are all promoting their playcasts these days?
Are you recruiting for players or do you want to talk about it? I think that either is entirely on topic

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just go ahead and plug it

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Incidentally I really wanna play a game where the vamps are this down bad. Like where money isn't trivial and you know some poor catiiff bastard who works as a stockboy who's gotta feed and claw ahead on the margins of the night. A game where summer's fewer waking hours means an actual impact on the pocketbook and poo poo.

So basically Requiem then. It's kind of a conceit of that setting that being a vampire is loving hard and doesn't just magically put money in your pocket.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
Vampire the Requiem 1e book Danse Macabre has rules suggestions/changes to run a game pretty much like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

psudonym55 posted:

Vampire the Requiem 1e book Danse Macabre has rules suggestions/changes to run a game pretty much like that.

Also the Requiem Chronicler’s Guide.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Horrormelon posted:

Yes. Do it, coward

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Hey, I remember there being a in-game and wildly inaccurate Flow-Chart for (I guess it isn't old or classic anymore with Chronicles being the new name) World of Darkness that some character drew up that had the girl-scouts being puppets of the vampire/techonmancy/Catholic Church. Does anyone have it?

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hey, I remember there being a in-game and wildly inaccurate Flow-Chart for (I guess it isn't old or classic anymore with Chronicles being the new name) World of Darkness that some character drew up that had the girl-scouts being puppets of the vampire/techonmancy/Catholic Church. Does anyone have it?

This? https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/whitewolf/images/1/1e/Schnoblin_Pyramid.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161219022547

It doesn't have girl scouts in the flow chart, but this is what I immediately thought of. And is always worth reposting.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LimitedReagent posted:

This? https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/whitewolf/images/1/1e/Schnoblin_Pyramid.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161219022547

It doesn't have girl scouts in the flow chart, but this is what I immediately thought of. And is always worth reposting.

I think you might be linking it, but it isn't showing up and instead showing up a blank image

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I fixed the link actually, lmao thank you, that was EXACTLY it

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It's not even a pyramid....

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Crasical posted:

It's not even a pyramid....

That's just what the King Venture WANTS you to think!

Also is it just me are a LOT of mechinacs weaker in V5 than they were in 20th, even if, some things like a bare bones framework for a social combat system finally exists

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

It is absolutely not just you. V5 makes some interesting advances but the math is funky and annoying and I hate it, also they brought back scaling XP costs, THE BASTARDS

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Only Gallagher can save us now.

Nessus posted:

Are you recruiting for players or do you want to talk about it? I think that either is entirely on topic

Not recruiting for players at the moment, just promoting it for the folks who like watching this sort of stuff.

"New Cammack"
Full episodes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHWLiG2Z8IG8ybX28LCjCPVnWHEReezd8
Short highlight reels of each episode: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHWLiG2Z8IG85Nen6R7uMKRmeEkZLHF8i
System: Vampire: the Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Sect: All of the PCs are Camarilla
Premise: In this comedy-mystery-horror VtM campaign, we follow the story of four vampires brought against their will to the city of New Cammack, Indiana and tasked with leading the vampire community that they find there for one year in the absence of its Prince. But as the city's new leaders search for answers about their mysterious new domain and the true reason why they were brought there, they begin to uncover much more than they anticipated.
PCs:
- Blake as Archibald Alvins, a bookish professor of leftist theory shunned by his Brujah peers
- Andy as Augustyn, a Tremere botanist ridiculed by his clan for his chosen magical path
- Kimber as Excavo, a Malkavian hacker being pulled deeper into a world of madness that she desperately wants to escape
- Steve as Darby, a blue collar Ventrue mechanic with a substance addiction trying to find where he fits into this bizarre world

This was the first time that any of us did something like this, so the audio and video start out rough and gradually get refined over the course of the first dozen episodes. This was a plot that I ran as a LARP about fifteen years ago and last year went back to the drawing board to overhaul and reboot as a tabletop game with compelling mysteries, strange villains, nightmares, visions, and a ticking clock counting down to either victory or disaster.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

midwifecrisis posted:

It is absolutely not just you. V5 makes some interesting advances but the math is funky and annoying and I hate it, also they brought back scaling XP costs, THE BASTARDS

The funny thing is that scaling XP costs would work great EXCEPT for the "Predator Type" mechanic. Like, if you sit down and math out the different attribute/skill arrays the game offers you, you see that they're all actually worth the same amount of XP, so it basically squares the circle of dot-based chargen being quick and easy vs. xp-based advancement encouraging you to spread your growth around rather than just go all-in on your highest stats. But then the ability to just add +1 dot to a Discipline no matter that Discipline's rating screws it up because suddenly one last perverse min/max incentive remains in chargen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

midwifecrisis posted:

No joke, when I see scaling XP costs and the game was written in the last 5 years I pretty much skip it entirely these days.

Well, that and there was nothing in the promo material that made me want to play V5 instead of another game. The few mechanics that could have been useful are best just swiped and used in a different setting for me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Scaling XP costs work fine if you want to encourage spreading things around instead of buying your sixth point of Shoot Slightly Better, unless you have, say, flat cost chargen and scaling in-game XP, you gotta commit to one or the other or you get those perverse incentives.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It also depends on just what else is going on in the system. Facially diminishing returns on a trait might not be much of a barrier if it unlocks the main stuff you come to the game to play with. It just means you sit around on a growing pile of XP until you have enough, which is its own problem for a lot of people.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I think the predator type is really one of those "cool idea, awful implementation" thing that really fucks up character creation in a similar way to the D&D 5e Backgrounds thing, which never worked in practice for me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What happens if you're creating Vampires too fresh to have developed a feeding method? What if they mix and match?

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

The funniest thing about bringing back scaling xp costs in v5 is that xp itself was reduced to 1 per session.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Octavo posted:

The funniest thing about bringing back scaling xp costs in v5 is that xp itself was reduced to 1 per session.
I would quit a game that only gave out 1xp per session regardless of if the progression was flat or scaling because that is criminally loving slow. I want to feel like I'm progressing in a game, not play my starting character for 6 months before I get another dot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yawgmoth posted:

I would quit a game that only gave out 1xp per session regardless of if the progression was flat or scaling because that is criminally loving slow. I want to feel like I'm progressing in a game, not play my starting character for 6 months before I get another dot.

1 xp per might be fast enough...if costs are sufficiently low. The math is the issue there.